HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Anyone Else Questioning Gainey --> The SEASON is already over!

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2006, 09:21 AM
hab

vCash: 500
Gainey could have never predicted theo would be this bad at the begining of the season, he had to sign him to a big long term contract or else we would have lynched the guy
kovalev was the same situation, the majority of us on this board thought that we desperately needed his talent and that 4.5 mil was about the going rate for him.
my problem is with the two guys he picked up in the offseason, bonk (realy did not know why he wanted this guy on the third line, and I am sure gainey isnt blind, he had to have known ottowa wanted to get rid of the guy because he was a floater, and your third and fourth line guys need to bring energy and physical play, I dont know what the point to having bonk was at all.
As for dandy, I am sure gainey knew this guy was a half defenceman, half winger who was never played more than fifteen minuites a game, could he not have picked up a regular 2nd to 4th defenceman when there were 50 of them availiable?
those are my only two issues with gainey, as for theo and kovalev, it is just simply not his fault

Old
02-03-2006, 10:02 AM
lynx

Gainey fired a coach who has won at every level he coached at and replaced him with a no-emotion deadweight in himself. We might as well have a life-size cutout of Bob Gainey coaching instead of the real thing. That's been the biggest mistake of all IMO

Old
02-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABit
Please don't insult Greeks. Theodore's step-father is Macedonian. So that does not make Theodore in any way, shape or form, a Greek.
Are you sure his father isnt Greek? Even if his father was from Macedonia(what does his step-father have to do with all this?), there's still remain to know which Macedonia that is. Is it the one that stole the name from Greece? Or is it the real Macedonia, the region in the northern part of Greece? I've heard a few dumbasses tell me Alexander the Great isnt Greek, he's Macedonian. Of course, if you dont take into account he spoke greek, the region was a greek "colony" if you will and it was one of those greek region-countries like Athens and Sparta, then year, he wasnt Greek.

Old
02-03-2006, 10:27 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
Are Markov, Plekanec, Kostsitsyn and Perezhogin also Euro crap??
Markov --> No
Plekanec --> Looking Good

Kostsitsyn & Perezhogin ---> Well, as usual, we hurt their confidence, we see a TON of potential, but we also see that soft perimeter style play ---> Jury's still out on those two!

Can we please draft some BIG defensman in this draft and a couple of BIG physical forwards!

I wish Gainey had made a play for Babchuk --> I would have given them Zednik in a heartbeat!

Old
02-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Guriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Kovalev is a team killer, he plays soft and fancy, not the way Hans brass wish his team to be... Tough to play against!
I can't disagree with you, Kovalev as talented as he is doesn't bring anything special in game situation. Yesterday he missed the net on several scoring chances, it's unacceptable.

It's time for Gainey to do something, I've never seen a GM so passive, it's annoying.

Last edited by Guriken: 02-03-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old
02-03-2006, 11:44 AM
GaineysRightHandMan

For those who think Gainy inherited a disaster - you are wrong. You just go back to the last season. We had a great team that just got blowed away by an awesome team - the Lightning. With a few tweaks and Pleks and Higgins coming up, we could have had a great team this year. However, Gainey has taken this team a step or two back.

Bonk at his price for a third line centre is WRONG, even if Bonk was performing half-decent. Who actually scouted this guy and thought he would be great on our team??? I mean for some Sens fans, this is a joke and they were correct. I would have hoped Bob would have had better insight.

As well Bob commented after the trade that Garon was an average goalie. I knew his assessment was WRONG.

Bob let Ward walk. WRONG. Ward brought a lot to the team. He is a ton better than Downey and Ivanas. Why in the world are these guys playing on our team instead of Ward.

Bob has not addressed our need for another good D-man. Dandinault was NOT the answer. WRONG.

CJ was fired I think because he dropped Theo for Huet. CJ right. Bob WRONG.

5 strikes at least against Bob. While he was making the first few mistakes I thought that he must know what he's doing more than I would know, being just an armchair GM. However, it is very sad that an armchair GM is better than what we got now. ouch!

Let's just hope and pray he get's better and his coaching get's better. Because he sucks as a coach too. The guys have a ton of trouble getting 20 shots on the net. If Bob was a nobody with no experience, he would be shown the door by now.

Old
02-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan
I loved Gainey the hockey player, but you have to wonder if HE has adjusted to the new NHL?

1. We are way too defensive and our Dmen NEVER jump into the play!

2. Signing Dandenault was a HUGE mistake!

3. Signing Bonk was even bigger!

4. Not signing Koivu will be his biggest mistake...!

5. Not being able to develop talent --> you can't bring up young players, let them play one friggin game and the BENCH them!! (Perezhogin and to Kotysisn need playing time!)

6. Taking 50 games to "evaluate" his team...

Bob these 5 guys need to go ASAP; and I'm not even talking about THEO!

1. Bonk
2. Zednik
3. Ribero (Koivu and Ribero together on the pp... *** is that!!!)
4. Dandy
5. Sundstrom

The are FLOATERS and we will NEVER COME CLOSE to winning with these losers! They shouldn't even be allowed to were the uniform!!

If you seriously don't get rid of the Europe crap, we won't finish over .500.
We dont have the type of d-men that are capabale of doing anything if they do jump into the play. We saw some of this during the 3rd period in Boston. It wasn't pretty. Markov is the only guy

The guys seem to be trying to preach defense to the team but they aren't good at playing defense either. And for those who say that you cant win playing D in today's NHL, look no further than the re-emergence of Marty Brodeur and the NJ Devils.

Gainey's style wont work with players who are unwilling to sacrifice their bodies and play hard every single shift. Some of Gainey's signings might not look bad if he finds some other players that will do the dirty work for guys kovalev so he can concentrate on the skill aspect of his game. Obviously, there's alot of habs players who like to dangle and be cute but there's not enough players who are willing to win puck battles along the boards. If Gainey can find guys who dont look out of place playing on a 1st or 2nd line to do that kind of work, it just might be what the doctor ordered. Gainey's envisioned core group seems to be lacking leadership and lacking grit. Its time to add some leaders and sandpaper to this core to complement the skill better.

But that only takes care of the forward concerns... defensively and goaltending wise, its a gigantic mess right now

Old
02-03-2006, 11:55 AM
doc lafleur

The signing of Vandemeer to a NHL contract.

Old
02-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc lafleur
The signing of Vandemeer to a NHL contract.
Yeah, thats hurting our chances at getting to the playoffs.

Old
02-03-2006, 01:28 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku

Old
02-03-2006, 01:42 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Will they still televise the games now that the season is over?
No hockey and too cold for golf, that would suck.

Old
02-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Habsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab
Gainey could have never predicted theo would be this bad at the begining of the season, he had to sign him to a big long term contract or else we would have lynched the guy
kovalev was the same situation, the majority of us on this board thought that we desperately needed his talent and that 4.5 mil was about the going rate for him.
my problem is with the two guys he picked up in the offseason, bonk (realy did not know why he wanted this guy on the third line, and I am sure gainey isnt blind, he had to have known ottowa wanted to get rid of the guy because he was a floater, and your third and fourth line guys need to bring energy and physical play, I dont know what the point to having bonk was at all.
As for dandy, I am sure gainey knew this guy was a half defenceman, half winger who was never played more than fifteen minuites a game, could he not have picked up a regular 2nd to 4th defenceman when there were 50 of them availiable?
those are my only two issues with gainey, as for theo and kovalev, it is just simply not his fault

Agreed. Kovy and Theo are NOT BGs mistake, neither is Souray......Bonk and Dandy are.
My other complaint is that he's been FAR too slow in assessing his team, starting in the off season. He should've seen we needed better D and More grinders. Remem in sept. him saying that he thought we had enough grit to compete?! Wrong....and with his decades of pro expernc he should've known this AND addressed it BEFORE
the season....thru trades if not via free agency.

Then, he should've made a trade in dec when we were tanking already. I know hiondsight is easy but the team desperately needed a shake up then already. As a GM he has to choose to be proactive or reactive. THATS a big reason he gets paid the big bucks IMO.

Now he has no assets to deal except his best players, bec people know he's desperate, and, his slackers have lost ALL their value and = nothing now.

Old
02-03-2006, 03:20 PM
doc lafleur

Quote:
I guess we can just spend 500k on 10 of these guy's in the off season, and hope 1 or 2 work out. That is just one more mistake by Gayney, that other poster's did not mention yet.

Old
02-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc lafleur
I guess we can just spend 500k on 10 of these guy's in the off season, and hope 1 or 2 work out. That is just one more mistake by Gayney, that other poster's did not mention yet.
Why would they mention it? How the hell does it affect the team? It doesnt even affect the cap.

Old
02-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Habsfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan
I loved Gainey the hockey player, but you have to wonder if HE has adjusted to the new NHL?

1. We are way too defensive and our Dmen NEVER jump into the play!

2. Signing Dandenault was a HUGE mistake!

3. Signing Bonk was even bigger!

4. Not signing Koivu will be his biggest mistake...!

5. Not being able to develop talent --> you can't bring up young players, let them play one friggin game and the BENCH them!! (Perezhogin and to Kotysisn need playing time!)

6. Taking 50 games to "evaluate" his team...

Bob these 5 guys need to go ASAP; and I'm not even talking about THEO!

1. Bonk
2. Zednik
3. Ribero (Koivu and Ribero together on the pp... *** is that!!!)
4. Dandy
5. Sundstrom

The are FLOATERS and we will NEVER COME CLOSE to winning with these losers! They shouldn't even be allowed to were the uniform!!

If you seriously don't get rid of the Europe crap, we won't finish over .500.

1 the fact is that we dont have a REAL GOOD defensiVE Stay at home defensman too

2 ME too i was thinking he was better Remind me RIvet 4 years ago

3 HE dont sing Bonk he trade Garon for him and its a Bigger mistake according to how théo is playing now

4 Change the core of a loosing team can't be a bad mistake

5. HOw many Years a GM have to develop Talent only 2 no its fault

6 I think he have evaluate his team before 50 games but the other gm have evalute his team to HAbs players a no trade value. we will give all we got for worst

THE biggest mistake of Gainey have been to sing NOBODY except A renom Floaters and a ex- #6 defensman of a wining team

YEah i know i must take english lessons

Old
02-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
And I will add that we have played 10 first full NHL season / rookies on the team this year for at least a month each. That's a whole lot of young players.

Now you guys know why we suck so much. Too many young players.
In retrospect, the 1986 Canadiens had 9 rookies.

Old
02-03-2006, 04:48 PM
habkid73

i think we should rip our team apart a little more guys,,,,,i'm sure dandy,theo ,gainey,etc. REALLY care about what we think!!!wow,,the beauty of internet eh??so many experts hiding behind their computers..ha ha i love it!

Old
02-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaineysRightHandMan
For those who think Gainy inherited a disaster - you are wrong. You just go back to the last season. We had a great team that just got blowed away by an awesome team - the Lightning. With a few tweaks and Pleks and Higgins coming up, we could have had a great team this year. However, Gainey has taken this team a step or two back.

Bonk at his price for a third line centre is WRONG, even if Bonk was performing half-decent. Who actually scouted this guy and thought he would be great on our team??? I mean for some Sens fans, this is a joke and they were correct. I would have hoped Bob would have had better insight.

As well Bob commented after the trade that Garon was an average goalie. I knew his assessment was WRONG.

Bob let Ward walk. WRONG. Ward brought a lot to the team. He is a ton better than Downey and Ivanas. Why in the world are these guys playing on our team instead of Ward.

Bob has not addressed our need for another good D-man. Dandinault was NOT the answer. WRONG.

CJ was fired I think because he dropped Theo for Huet. CJ right. Bob WRONG.

5 strikes at least against Bob. While he was making the first few mistakes I thought that he must know what he's doing more than I would know, being just an armchair GM. However, it is very sad that an armchair GM is better than what we got now. ouch!

Let's just hope and pray he get's better and his coaching get's better. Because he sucks as a coach too. The guys have a ton of trouble getting 20 shots on the net. If Bob was a nobody with no experience, he would be shown the door by now.
This is such a good example of 20/20 hindsight. Apart from Theodore, I can't see how this team is worse than the previous version because of Gainey. Would all of you Gainey detractors being saying that he's taken the team backwards if Theodore wasn't playing so badly? I doubt it, because the team would be better than it has been at any point in the last 5 years.

I hate Bonk.

a) Savard and Gauthier knew Bonk very well from their time in Ottawa, where he was their 1st center for several seasons. Either blame Savard and Gauthier equally or blame Gainey for trusting their input -- unless you believe they had absolutely nothing to do with his acquisition.

b) Everyone on these boards was happy with upgrading Juneau with Bonk. He was only expected to be better than Juneau. No one reasonably expected him to be as injured and lethargic as he has been this year.

I miss Garon.

a) Gainey said of Garon after he traded him that he was "an above-average back-up goalie."

b) The market for back-up goalies was very weak at the time. Garon was making close to 1 million to play about 20 games a season. He is scheduled to be UFA soon. The team was committed to Theodore, again with input from Savard and others who remember how he carried a lousy team into the playoffs and through the 1st round.

c) Gainey converted him into a cheaper but just as effective back-up goalie and a veteran center with size and seasons of 60+ points, taken off the roster of a divisional rival no less.

d) Obviously now it looks like a bad move. But the circumstances at the time made it look like a great use of assets. And I still believe that it was the right decision to make at the time.

I hate Dandenault too.

a) He replaced the hated Brisebois for less than half the salary.

b) He was reportedly pursued by other teams offering more money.

c) He came from a great team under a legendary coach with winning experience, and specifically wanted to play here.

d) Niedermayer, Foote, Gonchar and Aucoin weren't interested in signing here. Apart from Niedermayer, the others have been pretty disappointing for their teams, with contracts as long as Dandenault's but worth more than twice as much.

e) Komisarek was supposed to have taken on a bigger role this year. Dandenault was meant to bring long-term stability and versatility to the bottom-pairing. As with Brisebois and others, he's looked much worse than he should because he's been asked to play in a role he's not suited for.

I love Ward.

a) Gainey believed that he could get someone who could play Ward's role for less money.

b) Ward has always been an injury-prone, suspect skater with limited offensive upside and hitting abilities.

c) Gainey dumped the ever useless Hossa for a younger, cheaper but just as effective version of Ward in Garth Murray.

And I could go on and on. Of course Gainey has to be responsible for the team's slide. That's his job. But these posts about knowing better are ridiculous. He's made decisions that have turned badly so far. Like others, I didn't agree with all of them when they were made.

But there's no doubting that he analyzed the circumstances as they were and made perfectly reasonable decisions that could have, should have, and we all wish had turned out better. And I certainly still wouldn't want the armchair GMs of these boards running the team (with perhaps a very few exceptions).

Old
02-03-2006, 06:09 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreVX
In retrospect, the 1986 Canadiens had 9 rookies.
In retrospect, people forget that team was in danger of missing the playoffs altogether late into the season. Only a late season coup by Gainey and Robinson grabbed a hold of that team from Perron and then Roy took over in the playoffs.

Old
02-03-2006, 06:18 PM
doc lafleur

Quote:
Why would they mention it? How the hell does it affect the team? It doesnt even affect the cap.
I guess GG just like to spend for the fun of it. Is it me or is this thread about bad decision Gayney has made.

Bob is that you?

Old
02-03-2006, 06:20 PM
catmanhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
This thread is full of ignorance....

Play the kids, play the kids ... blah blah. The kids are playing. Cote, Komi, Plex, Higgins, Ryder. And this is what you get. You guys happy with the team? Of course not, that's why you're all b*tching.

Who else is left that's not playing? Perezhogin? Is he going to make this team a playoff team? Perezhogin will get his chance like everyone else and you guys will still complain.
our point isnt if theyre going to make us a playoff tweam..its that they need to gain experience and mature, so in the future they might live up to their potential, and then we will be a playoff team. how could you blame these rookies for our problems? theyre not learning anything sitting in the pressbox...except making mental notes of us retarded fans and reminding themselves not to ever resign in montreal when their contracts are expired. oh and by the way...ryder is the only 20 goal guy we have, so that was a dumb comment.if were going to lose(which we are anyways) lets watch the kids play and watch them at least give an effort and enjoy the game for what it is, because in the end, it is just a game.no one ever learnt how to play by sitting on the end of the bench because they made a tiny mistake our goaltender couldnt get us out of.

Old
02-03-2006, 07:25 PM
les Habs

We can analyze his moves to death, but it's still early. I don't mean for this season either. It takes time to rebuild. What troubles me the most though is that since Gainey took over our offense seems to be getting worse. We're not getting any shots on goal. It's like Gainey is the sort of manager who tries to make the players work in his system even if they're not suited to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Bonk. He's been garbage all season long yet some people still gave him credit. There are others too, but I'm more concerned with how these guys are performing right now. It's getting to the point where I'd rather see us get worse so that somebody reacts and cleans house regarding this squad. I mean Zednik is an absolute disgrace. I think some major changes need to be made this summer. I'm not one for wholesale changes, but in this instance I think it's called for. My concern is that we'll stay make the wrong moves. What's worse is that we can't draft to save our lives. Yeah it's a crap shoot, but look at some of the guys we've drafted in recent years in the first round.

Closed Thread