HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Connecticut making pitch for Islanders to Hartford

Old
02-03-2017, 02:19 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Connecticut making pitch for Islanders to Hartford

http://www.wfsb.com/story/34421877/c...e-ny-islanders

02-03-2017, 02:32 PM
mikelvl

vCash: 500
A for Effort.

Can't win if you're not in the game.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 02:34 PM
Mightygoose

No, this cannot be correct

Only Canadian cities are vultures for struggling US based teams

In all seriousness, in the event the Isles can't get a good arena in NY, does a renovated XL Center make better sense than a renovated Nassau. Later, previous wouldn't be operated by the landlord that may be kicking them out of their current home.

Last edited by Mightygoose: 02-03-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 02:37 PM
TheTotalPackage

I want this to happen mainly for the fact we would hopefully see one of the greatest sports logos of all time again.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 02:40 PM
TrillMike

This will be interesting to keep an eye on. Smart move by the city.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 02:41 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
It's not a bad idea in principle for Hartford to court the Isles, but I don't see them moving from their current unstable arena situation into a 42-year-old building with a "plan" to do upgrades but nobody willing to pay for it.

Writing a public letter/press release, rather than moving forward with a plan to finance the arena, smells like a politician grandstanding for votes rather than doing the much harder work of bringing a team to town.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 02:46 PM
BTV

"The Hartford-New Haven television market is the largest in the country without a professional sports team."

I get that they likely meant "major league" here...but the Hartford media doesn't realize they not only have a professional hockey team, but one that already calls the XL Center home? Yes, this is a pipe dream but you'd think the article would at the very least mention the Wolf Pack, who would likely be displaced should such a move happen.

BTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Terry Yake

interesting

won't happen though. the civ is not a suitable venue for the NHL and the upgrades really won't change much anyways

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seafoam
Evening / Morning

vCash: 50
As a Connecticut native and Islanders fan, yes please.

Malloy is likely just doing this for PR, though. The XL Center is trash and I can't see a new NHL building going up or even NHL quality renovations unless NYI would commit there on the interim, and I can't see NYI going there unless NHL quality renovations are put in place before they go there.

02-03-2017, 02:49 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's not a bad idea in principle for Hartford to court the Isles, but I don't see them moving from their current unstable arena situation into a 42-year-old building with a "plan" to do upgrades but nobody willing to pay for it.

Writing a public letter/press release, rather than moving forward with a plan to finance the arena, smells like a politician grandstanding for votes rather than doing the much harder work of bringing a team to town.
Someone is eventually going to have to pay for something when it comes to the Islanders. They either construct a new place using a good portion of their own money, they renovate the place in Hartford, or they lose $X every game playing in a tiny arena without suites.

Hartford seems like a decent option, even with required upgrades.

Could the Isles keep their TV money train coming if they moved to Hartford? Would MSG still want them on the network if they're in Connecticut?

02-03-2017, 02:53 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Islanders already have a presence in Connecticut, Bridgeport is owned by them are they not?

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 02:58 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Someone is eventually going to have to pay for something when it comes to the Islanders. They either construct a new place using a good portion of their own money, they renovate the place in Hartford, or they lose $X every game playing in a tiny arena without suites.

Could the Isles keep their TV money train coming if they moved to Hartford? Would MSG still want them on the network if they're in Connecticut?
I'm sure a relocation would void the TV deal. They would have no claims to the NY market - the Rangers and Devils would have no reason to allow them to share it.

MSG could theoretically bid on the new deal for the team within their own TV territory.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:02 PM
Jonas1235

The process is applying for relocation and then it going to a vote. Right?

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I'm sure a relocation would void the TV deal. They would have no claims to the NY market - the Rangers and Devils would have no reason to allow them to share it.

MSG could theoretically bid on the new deal for the team within their own TV territory.
On the other hand, MSG is who the Sabres use too, so it isn't like they're tied into the NYC market only. In fact, I think there could be an argument to be made that MSG would be for this, since it would expand their geographical footprint.

To go to back to your point though, MSG probably considers western CT to be an important part of Rangers territory, so some of the footprint expansion would be mitigated by that.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:06 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 9240
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
Before we start laughing at the idea--I knew a few guys from Hartford and there is a strong fan base there that want hockey back--is there enough support for NHL hockey?
That is another story

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:07 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

Remember, the same people who own the Rangers own the tv station. If they think it will help ratings on LI, they might go for it. Not sure they would take the attitude of, "No, now they can watch the Rangers games." Not even Dolan is naive enough to think the Isles fans are all of a sudden going to start watching the Rangers. Think they'd be more likely to give up the NHL altogether. If anything, it would be the league and national rights holders who would have a problem. They'd want the people on LI buying center ice and game center if they want watch the Whalanders.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

By the way, that article is riddled with errors. Someone mentioned the pro team issue. Also,

"The Barclays Center in Brooklyn recently ended its relationship with the NHL franchise."

No they didn't. And,

"They are currently sixth in the Eastern Conference with a record of 22 - 17."

You mean Metropolitan Division.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:09 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Before we start laughing at the idea--I knew a few guys from Hartford and there is a strong fan base there that want hockey back--is there enough support for NHL hockey?
That is another story
The number of hurdles necessary to clear before we get to the question of fan passion is pretty large. I don't think Hartford's arena is in much better shape than Nassau is. Honestly think the league would do Quebec City before Hartford if the team is indeed going to move.

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 4481585
Quote:

If they move to Hartford the RSN that would go after them in a big way is Comcast-New England which was their former TV home as FOX Sports NE. The Whalers enjoyed the same TV footprint as the Bruins and the Bruins allowed Whalers games into Massachusetts so the Bruins could still beam into Connecticut. CSN-NE only has the Celtics and adding the Whalers would allow them to charge more to be carried. They would probably allow MSG to beam Rangers games into Connecticut but not the Devils.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:14 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:

I don't disagree, but in this case you have a couple of politicians sending this open invitation for all the public to see, while refusing to pay for the arena costs.

This is very much a move designed for public consumption. "Look, we're trying! Someone should definitely come up with the money to pay for this!" But not very heavy on commitments or specifics on how it would work.

I doubt the Islanders take any of this seriously unless they see assurances on paper that an NHL-quality arena will be ready by 2019.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:19 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Remember, the same people who own the Rangers own the tv station. If they think it will help ratings on LI, they might go for it. Not sure they would take the attitude of, "No, now they can watch the Rangers games." Not even Dolan is naive enough to think the Isles fans are all of a sudden going to start watching the Rangers. Think they'd be more likely to give up the NHL altogether. If anything, it would be the league and national rights holders who would have a problem. They'd want the people on LI buying center ice and game center if they want watch the Whalanders.
The league who would redraw the map the second they are moved. MSG doesn't have a choice here, it's out of their hands.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:24 PM
USAUSA1

The good news is that Islanders have choices. Hartford, Quebec,Nassau, and even just staying in Brooklyn(which people reckless neglected).

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:42 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
By the way, that article is riddled with errors. Someone mentioned the pro team issue. Also,

"The Barclays Center in Brooklyn recently ended its relationship with the NHL franchise."

No they didn't. And,

"They are currently sixth in the Eastern Conference with a record of 22 - 17."

You mean Metropolitan Division.
I saw that too. Likely someone who hasn't paid attention to the base story. You see a lot of that unfortunately in TV news. We have a little of that from time to time on the Seattle Arena issue here in the Northwest, hence why there is really only one go-to reporter in this market from the TV side of things for coverage of this topic, and you've seen his reporting in that thread here in these forums.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 4481585
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...412712783.html

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 04:01 PM
joshyedge

Man, just think if Hartford gets a club again and Quebec City has to sit there wondering if their chance will ever come. But regardless good on Hartford for trying. Can't knock em for it

joshyedge is offline   Reply With Quote