HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Connecticut making pitch for Islanders to Hartford

Old
02-03-2017, 07:32 PM
NHL Hartford

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
uh, so is CRDA, TO A FACTOR, no matter what Whaler fans claim, and isn't that why Carolina left for Greensboro, then Raleigh, PK got tired of waiting for Connecticut and the CDRA to replace XL, no matter how many times you remodel the building, it's time is done, the Rangers aren't going to vacate Hartford without a fight to bring another franchise there, much less a division/city rival.

folks keep forgetting MSG wanted to add XL to its portfolio, when Gottenschidner tried to bring a team there, and what happened. MSG lost the bid but continues to have their own franchise as the tenant.

Hartford simply isn't worth bringing another franchise back there until XL is demolished and a newer state of the art facility much like Quebec learned by building their arena, that's the only way you can successfully compete for enticing a franchise
Except the CRDA wasn't established until June 2012 - http://crdact.net/

NHL Hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 07:35 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Why not just build a new arena already in Downtown or West Hartford?
Well, four to five hundred million clams, for starters.

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 07:36 PM
wellsZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
As a CT resident as great as it would be for the Whalers to come back, I've always thought that the Islanders moving was the only way it would happen and it would still be a severe long shot at best. As other people have cited you could tap into the ex-Whaler fan base as well as remain in a reasonable driving distance for fans from the Island to attend games, albeit at less of a frequency. I just don't think the league has the room nor the desire to insert a 5th team into the Boston-NY corridor, let alone do they even have an appetite to return to Hartford, period, nostalgia from us fans aside.
1 mass team
1 Connecticut team
1 NYC team
1 New Jersey team
1 eastern PA team
1 DMV team
1 NC team
1 FL team

wellsZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 07:36 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Hartford View Post
Except the CRDA wasn't established until June 2012 - http://crdact.net/
and how many times has XL been redone, even when the Whalers were forced to Springfield when the roof collapsed.

simply put, XL is not an NHL Facility, much the way NCMVA ended up being true to that fact or the Islanders would still be playing there, correct.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 07:45 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Ok, well they would be on Comcast New England then. Still would be a lot of money.

Why not just build a new arena already in Downtown or West Hartford?
Too expensive, SCI has told the city you can get the practically the same building for the $250M option without spending the extra $250M. The only differences they noted the new arena would have over the retrofitted one is a larger seating capacity, bigger loading bay/staging area which would help for concerts (something Hartford doesn't need since Mohegan, I believe gets the most concert dates in the country) and the $15M NHL package (12,000sq ft NHL locker room, additional club suites and 4 person loge boxes) is already built in.

Old
02-03-2017, 07:59 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
and how many times has XL been redone, even when the Whalers were forced to Springfield when the roof collapsed.

simply put, XL is not an NHL Facility, much the way NCMVA ended up being true to that fact or the Islanders would still be playing there, correct.
As it currently stands now, no, the XL Center is not conducive for an NHL franchise to call it home for more than a year or 2.

That is why the State has worked with SCI (who writes the building codes for the NHL) to come up with a transformation plan:

http://crdact.net/data/Unsorted/XL-S...15-72808-1.pdf

It would have all the premium seating any prospective owner would want and the buildings footprint and arena bowl footprint would be larger than many current NHL arenas such as TD Garden, Rogers Arena and ACC.

Old
02-03-2017, 08:03 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
As it currently stands now, no, the XL Center is not conducive for an NHL franchise to call it home for more than a year or 2.

That is why the State has worked with SCI (who writes the building codes for the NHL) to come up with a transformation plan:

It would have all the premium seating any prospective owner would want and the buildings footprint and arena bowl footprint would be larger than many current NHL arenas such as TD Garden, Rogers Arena and ACC.
Islanders have zero interest, and would be looking in Bridgeport well before Hartford, sorry Hartford is done as a temporary or permanent home until XL is completely replaced.... and no study will ever change that, or the hockey fanbase.

Old
02-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Cacciaguida

Islanders faithful will not follow to Hartford. But I'm glad they're still on the table, just don't take my team.

Cacciaguida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 08:09 PM
AlwaysSunnyInTampa
Ride the Lightning

I love that the city of Hartford is trying to make a pitch but a renovated XL Center really seems no better an option than a renovated Nassau Coliseum.

AlwaysSunnyInTampa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 08:13 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Islanders have zero interest, and would be looking in Bridgeport well before Hartford, sorry Hartford is done as a temporary or permanent home until XL is completely replaced.... and no study will ever change that, or the hockey fanbase.
The transformation plan does the same thing a new arena does it's just built on the bones of the current structure. If you think just because the building will utilize the same roof, etc. that it precludes it from being an NHL facility, even though economically it will perform better than some current NHL facilities I'm not sure what to say to you.

Old
02-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Brodie
voted best

They should move to New Haven instead. Stay on Long Island Sound and become the New England Islanders.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 08:18 PM
Cacciaguida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
They should move to New Haven instead. Stay on Long Island Sound and become the New England Islanders.
Connecticut/Hartford has it's own brand

And it's not the Islanders.

Old
02-03-2017, 08:18 PM
WildGopher

Quote:

I've been in that arena, and glancing at this plan, it's very impressive how it can create all the revenue-producing aspects of a brand new arena within the current building skeleton. Most of the seating would remain close to the ice and it would save $250 million, plus potential land acquisition costs. Very impressive. I hope it happens and draws an NHL team (preferably by expansion, but if some team has to move, I'd like to see QC and CT get the next teams).

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 08:24 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Too expensive, SCI has told the city you can get the practically the same building for the $250M option without spending the extra $250M. The only differences they noted the new arena would have over the retrofitted one is a larger seating capacity, bigger loading bay/staging area which would help for concerts (something Hartford doesn't need since Mohegan, I believe gets the most concert dates in the country) and the $15M NHL package (12,000sq ft NHL locker room, additional club suites and 4 person loge boxes) is already built in.
I love how they keep mentioning $250 million to renovate, but fail to include demolition and land acquisition costs which would be part of the project. My understanding is those costs would bring the project to at least $400 million (perhaps a lot more), which is an awful lot of money for a state with a huge deficit. Connecticut is also facing a loss of another large corporation (Aetna) to Boston.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Man, I know it's insanely unlikely, but it'd be awesome! I'd definitively try to go down to connecticut for a game.

However I think that there would need to be a serious plan for a new arena for the NHL to be OK to this.

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsZe View Post
1 mass team
1 Connecticut team
1 NYC team
1 New Jersey team
1 eastern PA team
1 DMV team
1 NC team
1 FL team
I'm confused how this list addresses my point. I was asserting that I don't see room in the NHL for a team in Hartford outside of the Islanders moving there. My point was that if a different team tries to move to Hartford, you would then have the B's, Rags, Devils, Isles, and Hartford all in the Boston-NY corridor (let's face it the Devils are a NY Metro area team). I just can't believe that is an arrangement of markets that the NHL would desire in 2017.

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 08:59 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

I don't see the Isles moving to an old arena in Hartford, no matter the incentives. I'd fully expect a new building to be involved if they're leaving NYC.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 09:19 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 2900000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
I don't see the Isles moving to an old arena in Hartford, no matter the incentives. I'd fully expect a new building to be involved if they're leaving NYC.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...203-story.html

Quote:
Malloy and Bronin pitched the XL Center for the team's interim use but also said it could be a long-term solution. Legislators this year are expected to consider a controversial $250 million upgrade to the arena, adding a second concourse and bringing it up to NHL standards.
What this does at the very least is give the Islanders a little leverage for something to happen in New York.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 09:28 PM
KCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInTampa View Post
I love that the city of Hartford is trying to make a pitch but a renovated XL Center really seems no better an option than a renovated Nassau Coliseum.
At 250 mill in upgrades on the table, you might as well spend the extra and built a new arena.

KCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 09:32 PM
dilbert719

I don't expect this to happen, but I would love to see it, IF nothing can be worked out to keep the Islanders on Long Island.

Hell, with the Wolf Pack then out of a location to play, if NVMC can't be expanded to host an NHL team, you might conceivably put them in Nassau, with the Islanders becoming the Whalers, and Bridgeport as their affiliate.

Then all the league has to do is figure out what to do with the Hurricanes and the Arizona mess, and they might have at least temporary stability at 31.

dilbert719 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 09:34 PM
MNNumbers

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...espn:nhl:index

MNNumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 09:39 PM
AlwaysSunnyInTampa
Ride the Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCC View Post
At 250 mill in upgrades on the table, you might as well spend the extra and built a new arena.
Well that extra is probably $250 million. I wish it was that simple for the Whaler fans to get their team back but it's not. The problem is that almost 20 years ago the Whalers were faced with "New arena or bust" and still haven't gotten it built. Now granted, I think Karmanos is a total ******* for what he did but unfortunately that lack of a new arena is a very damning argument against the city of Hartford. Especially when you consider that Quebec City built arguably the finest arena on the North American continent that doesn't have an NHL team in it right now.

I wish the city of Hartford all the best but if they just want to renovate XL center I don't think it's gonna be enough to bring the Whalers back, especially if the Isles have a renovated Coliseum to go back to.

AlwaysSunnyInTampa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 09:40 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert719 View Post
I don't expect this to happen, but I would love to see it, IF nothing can be worked out to keep the Islanders on Long Island.

Hell, with the Wolf Pack then out of a location to play, if NVMC can't be expanded to host an NHL team, you might conceivably put them in Nassau, with the Islanders becoming the Whalers, and Bridgeport as their affiliate.

Then all the league has to do is figure out what to do with the Hurricanes and the Arizona mess, and they might have at least temporary stability at 31.
MSG likely isn't leaving NYC, EITHER, as long as XL Stands, the Islanders already by decree have said no to Hartford

again, for anything to put Hartford back on the map, CDRA has to tell CT to implode XL much the same way they did keeping pro baseball in Hartford or what Quebec finally did with Centre Videotron, and all fans would agree that QC is ahead of Hartford on the road to getting a franchise.

all Hartford has to do is do what Quebec and Winnipeg have done, then be patient.

Old
02-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Cacciaguida

Don't give up Hartford!

Old
02-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 2900000
Nate Silver at 538 asks the question that could be the key?

Quote:
The question is whether the Islanders would be better off with one-eighth of a loaf in New York or a market to themselves in Connecticut. Considering the popularity of the New York Rangers (and the presence of the New Jersey Devils), the inadequacy of the Barclays Center for hockey, and all the other competition for the fans’ entertainment dollar in New York, it’s probably a pretty close call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote