Notices

Harvard wins the Beanpot - Harvard 6 BU 3 F

Old
02-14-2017, 02:45 AM
22Brad Park

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I have mixed emotions as well. I went to BU but my late older brother played for Harvard in the 50's and when I was a tyke I used to skate at Watson Rink. I was even an extra in 'Love Story' when it was filmed.

Now we need Northeastern to win the Pot in short order and make the tournament great again.

Donato has to be on Sweeney's short list to be the next head coach of the Bruins but I can't see him walking away from the 'lifetime' security he has at Harvard.
He be crazy to walk away from that job.A BeanPot Legend now too for Harvard. lol Cool about an extra in that movie too.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 05:48 AM
Blowfish

How big is the rivalry? It has to be something pretty special to be at those games.

Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 06:43 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Great stuff Fenway.

I've seen Donato live and Bjork live and there are similarities- dynamic is one

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 07:30 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wack Edwards View Post
Yea any criticism I have of McAvoy isn't damning...I think he is still an amazing prospect.

But I see a project...I don't see a Drew Doughty level, but I see potential for him to be a very very good player. Bruins do need him in the Top 4 D ASAP but to me McAvoy doesnt look ready...as in next season, hope I'm wrong (like Carlo).

Again...this is only the 6th game I've seen him play this season..very limited viewings so all this is with a huge disclaimer.

I just wish I was a little more impressed with him in the games I've seen, like I said, I wanna love him as much as everyone here raves about him and hopefully I will.

Loved his play at world juniors too and LOVE how physical he is.

I hope I am very very wrong and he becomes BETTER Doughty

and yea...would totally take him over Fabbro..easily just on skillset alone.

Just trying to taper my expectations for him a little cause to me he still looks like a bit of a project...which is what he should look like given his age.
This is the 2nd post in this thread where you have mentioned comparisons to Doughty by fans here and I`m not sure I`ve read many here making that comparison? I`m sure there are a few but I haven`t seen many

Watched last night`s game and while he took a few penalties (one I didn`t like), I also get that at this age, the emotion sometimes gets the best of players. Absolutely love his first pass, love his willingness to jump right into the play and he isn`t shy physically

I have no comparison of whom he might be like in the NHL, could care less, how bout he just plays like Charlie McAvoy

Donato`s goal was sublime

Last edited by ODAAT; 02-14-2017 at 07:39 AM..
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 07:38 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midship View Post
Chances it will translate to the NHL? I know very little of Donato and haven't seen him play much. Looks good from what I've watched tonight
I`m not good at this stuff and today was pretty much the first game I have seen him, I say "pretty much" as I honestly don`t think I`ve seen any other Harvard game.

He`s quick, see`s the ice well both with and without the puck and is very elusive which, with his size should help (although I think he`s about 6` isn`t he?) so he`s not small ala Gaudreau

There was a play behind the net where I thought the D man had him lined up and was primed for an easy hit and while the D man (not sure who it was) hit him, Donato seemed to absorb it easily, barely losing stride

Impressed. Liked Sherman`s game too, seems to be a kid who is the epitome of keeping it simple.

Old
02-14-2017, 07:56 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Let me just say I'm so glad that someone other than BU or BC has won the Beanpot!!!!!!

I've been calling it the BU/BC Invitational for years now since one of those two teams always won it.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 07:58 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
We won our four team mens league last session.

Seems like a fair comparison.

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 08:01 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
We won our four team mens league last session.

Seems like a fair comparison.
Absolutely.

I played in a terribly average beer league a few years ago, bunch of 45-50 year olds strictly playing for the purpose of trying to work up a sweat and giving our wives a few hours without us hanging around the house.

6 team league, we took it all, the trophy for this league is a classic, it`s a huge brass spitoon

My stat line for the final game was 0-0-0, I was being triple teamed all night

Old
02-14-2017, 08:06 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Absolutely.

I played in a terribly average beer league a few years ago, bunch of 45-50 year olds strictly playing for the purpose of trying to work up a sweat and giving our wives a few hours without us hanging around the house.

6 team league, we took it all, the trophy for this league is a classic, it`s a huge brass spitoon

My stat line for the final game was 0-0-0, I was being triple teamed all night
I got a tee shirt that's about three sizes too big.

I just have never "gotten" the Beanpot.

I tried watching some of it last night and some a-hole at the bar had them change the channel to college basketball, which to me is even more pointless.

smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 08:12 AM
SPLBRUIN

Quote:
This is the 2nd post in this thread where you have mentioned comparisons to Doughty by fans here and I`m not sure I`ve read many here making that comparison? I`m sure there are a few but I haven`t seen many

Watched last night`s game and while he took a few penalties (one I didn`t like), I also get that at this age, the emotion sometimes gets the best of players. Absolutely love his first pass, love his willingness to jump right into the play and he isn`t shy physically

I have no comparison of whom he might be like in the NHL, could care less, how bout he just plays like Charlie McAvoy

I think the Doughty comparisons are valid, everything from his skating, the physicality, and they even have a similar build. Now, I don't know if he will get anywhere close to Doughty as a pro, after all he is considered the best overall D man in the NHL, but to watch him definetly reminds me of Doughty.

SPLBRUIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 08:13 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

I tried watching some of it last night and some a-hole at the bar had them change the channel to college basketball, which to me is even more pointless.
haha, funny

I`m guessing the Beanpot is about local bragging rights? Truthfully, if no Bruin prospects were playing, chances are I wouldn`t have watched all of the game as I did. When I have the chance to watch NCAA hockey down here I usually do, love the game as I did when accompanying my dad to RPI for Alumni weekends

Old
02-14-2017, 08:17 AM
PlayMakers

Two years ago, Pastrnak came to development camp and dominated. IMO, the next closest player to him was Ryan Donato. Ever since then, he (and Johansson) have been my dark horse prospects.

Last year's development camp was a good crop, with Heinen, Cehlarik, Bjork... but again Donato was right there with those guys, making plays and again I think you could make the case that he was as good as any of them. Kids got hands, drive, courage, smarts... and he wants to be a difference maker in big games.

I think it is fair to question whether it will translate. Cehlarik was good at camps, very good even but not THE dominant player, yet he's transitioned into pro hockey (AHL/NHL) like a 10 year vet. So we'll see, but right now all Donato can do is play well for Harvard and that's what he's doing. Good on him.

02-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Johnnyduke

With all that first round talent BU has, was great seeing Harvard completely dominate and run them out of the building.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 08:25 AM
Johnnyduke

Lol at suggesting ted donato should be a Bruins candidate. Ted donato was a bum coach before paul pearl left holy cross to be teddy's assistant.

Old
02-14-2017, 08:26 AM
PlayMakers

Quote:

Have you ever played in a tournament? Any tournament? Not a men's half-ass league tournament. I mean when you were a kid and it meant something to you.

Prep schools around here have the Flood-Marr tournament which is a big deal to them.

Junior teams have the Showcase tournament in Marlboro which is a big deal to them.

I'm sure other colleges out west have tournaments they attend that are important to them.

The Beanpot is like those tournaments, only it's been around forever, so there's history and tradition there... Boston is also a small city, (as I'm sure you know, but for those who don't) you can drive from BC to BU to NU to Harvard in 30 minutes. A lot of these kids know each other and grew up playing together... So this tournament also happens to be about bragging rights.

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 08:59 AM
beaverjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMakers View Post
Have you ever played in a tournament? Any tournament? Not a men's half-ass league tournament. I mean when you were a kid and it meant something to you.

Prep schools around here have the Flood-Marr tournament which is a big deal to them.

Junior teams have the Showcase tournament in Marlboro which is a big deal to them.

I'm sure other colleges out west have tournaments they attend that are important to them.

The Beanpot is like those tournaments, only it's been around forever, so there's history and tradition there... Boston is also a small city, (as I'm sure you know, but for those who don't) you can drive from BC to BU to NU to Harvard in 30 minutes. A lot of these kids know each other and grew up playing together... So this tournament also happens to be about bragging rights.
There was only 12 combined players from Mass on BU/Harvard. I think the Beanpot is certainly losing its luster as college hockey has become a more international sport with players from all over. Back in the day the teams were full of local kids and it was cool to follow and watch. Its not the case anymore and the poor attendance reflects the declining interest.

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 09:01 AM
Johnnyduke

I don't think declining attendance has all that much to do with where the players are from but i do agree that overall the beanpot just doesn't have the luster it had years ago.

Old
02-14-2017, 09:10 AM
beaverjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
I don't think declining attendance has all that much to do with where the players are from but i do agree that overall the beanpot just doesn't have the luster it had years ago.
I am sure declining attendance has a multitude of factors and the lack of local players plays a small role in it. I assume that a more international and spread out alumni base of the the schools also play a role. BU/NU has a huge international student population and I summize not a ton of alumni stick around Boston and go to hockey games. Harvard never really has much support for hockey despite them being very good.

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
I am sure declining attendance has a multitude of factors and the lack of local players plays a small role in it. I assume that a more international and spread out alumni base of the the schools also play a role. BU/NU has a huge international student population and I summize not a ton of alumni stick around Boston and go to hockey games. Harvard never really has much support for hockey despite them being very good.
There really isn't much of a decline in attendance, both night games would have sold out the Old Garden.
The fact that it was Harvard not NU or BC in the final also effected attendance.
To be fair to Harvard their futility in the tournament in the last 20 years is probably a degree higher than Northeastern. Despite winning in 1993 vs 1988, the last time they won a game before this year was 1998, before much of the Freshman Class was born, while Northeastern has been a regular fixture in the finals.

Bruins1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 02:47 PM
ODAAT

any chance the storm you received there Sunday night hampered some fans ability to get out to watch the game?

Old
02-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
There was only 12 combined players from Mass on BU/Harvard. I think the Beanpot is certainly losing its luster as college hockey has become a more international sport with players from all over. Back in the day the teams were full of local kids and it was cool to follow and watch. Its not the case anymore and the poor attendance reflects the declining interest.
Poor attendance? I went to the prelims, Feb 6 and the place was packed. Checked the attendance for last year's BC/BU final and it was 15,702 which is almost capacity.

Anyway, congratulations to Teddy Donato and his staff and team for their success. Well earned.

NY Times even did an article on the Beanpot this year. www.nytimes.com/2017/02/04/sports/hockey/beanpot...

Last edited by Ratty; 02-14-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Poor attendance? I went to the prelims, Feb 6 and the place was packed. Checked the attendance for last year's BC/BU final and it was 15,702 which is almost capacity.

Anyway, congratulations to Teddy Donato and his staff and team for their success. Well earned.

NY Times even did an article on the Beanpot this year. www.nytimes.com/2017/02/04/sports/hockey/beanpot...
This year was 15,942, which by the way would be beyond a sellout at the old Garden.

Bruins1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 07:55 PM
qc

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I've seen Donato live and Bjork live and there are similarities- dynamic is one
You are a national treasure.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Wack Edwards
Dank Vatrano

Quote:

Well I went from reading the bruins fans posting in the Avs-Bruins trade thread and then watching McAvoy play and...it just felt like there was a little bit of a disconnect as to how high fellow bruins fans are on McAvoy and the reality of where he is at (again he is still super young, very early in stage of development)

But it left me feeling like..I wish I was as high on McAvoy as all these other Bruins fans and when watching him play, again to me, he looks like a bit of a project with a very very good skillset.

I mean..I don't have exact posts of all the bruin fans Ive seen hyping McAvoy as Doughty potential or saying he will be a top 4 D on bruins by next season but..I felt like I was reading that alot and I want to believe it too but from my LIMITED viewing, it looks like he has a lot of work still needed for his game so just wanted to ease some expectations a little.

Maybe I am dead wrong, which I'll be happy about and I mean I didnt watch Doughty play when he was in juniors so maybe 19 year old Doughty and McAvoy were at similar points...I dont really know.

Just trying to be honest with what I was seeing on the ice and was expecting more after hearing lots of Doughty comparisons.

Still think he will be just fine though and love lots of elements of his game.

Last edited by Wack Edwards; 02-14-2017 at 08:18 PM..
Wack Edwards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 11:34 PM
Ratty

For those interested, B.U. Is playing Notre Dame back-to-back at Agganis Arena a week from Friday and Saturday.

Chance to catch Charlie, JFK and Anders competing in the same venue twice as both teams gear up for the Frozen Four.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote