HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Aftermath: The Dion Phaneuf trade to Ottawa

Old
02-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Goldeneye
Fire Maurice

vCash: 500
Crucial deal for the Leafs. To get rid of Phaneuf's full cap hit was incredible. Opened new doors and continues to do so.

Goldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
that's true and that's how LL sold it but that'll be a small comfort in a couple of years when he's stumbling around the ice even worse than he's doing now
How comforting is watching the Leafs and distinctly seeing that they're missing a top 4 D every night and seeing it cost them games when their forwards and goaltending have been very high end this year.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 08:57 AM
LeafFever

The Leafs could use Dion right now. This is true. That said, you can get a better D-Man than him that is cheaper. And the Leafs are not ready to contend yet. They need to be patient and that 7 million cap gone is huge for the future.

LeafFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 09:23 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
Bad trade for Ottawa then, bad now. Would be bad regardless but the fact that they helped out a rival team by taking on a bad contract and GIVING UP a 2nd and a decent prospect in the process makes it all the more terrible.
I dont understand how someone from another market can make this comment and actually think it carries any value. Do you actually watch Ottawa consistently?

Phaneuf is helping to make Ottawa a better team...end of story.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 10:19 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
How comforting is watching the Leafs and distinctly seeing that they're missing a top 4 D every night and seeing it cost them games when their forwards and goaltending have been very high end this year.

Very comforting considering we were much worse with Phaneuf in our lineup.

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:34 AM
jason2020

JetsFan815

The so called decent prospect was way down Ottawa's depth chart and does not seem to be doing all that well in Toronto look at it this way Ottawa got rid of 2 awful contracts got a player who has turned his game right around.

jason2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:35 AM
jason2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunder View Post
Crucial deal for the Leafs. To get rid of Phaneuf's full cap hit was incredible. Opened new doors and continues to do so.
If the Leafs could do it again I think they would pass on Cowan and Greening.

Old
02-05-2017, 11:37 AM
TheBeastCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2020 View Post
If the Leafs could do it again I think they would pass on Cowan and Greening.
I don't think either would stop them from making the deal. Nothing has really changed with either of them from last year....The Leafs will be completely clear of these contracts by the end of this season(Cowen might have a very small buy out penalty) I am pretty sure this was always the intention so I'm not sure how it would be any different now.

TheBeastCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:38 AM
jason2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastCoast View Post
I don't think either would stop them from making the deal. Nothing has really changed with either of them from last year....The Leafs will be completely clear of these contracts by the end of this season(Cowen might have a very small buy out penalty) I am pretty sure this was always the intention so I'm not sure how it would be any different now.
I think the Leafs would have taken the 2nd round pick and prospect and maybe another pick or prospect.

Old
02-05-2017, 11:44 AM
NeverForget06

Leafs would be a better team with Phaneuf right now but the trade will pay off a few years down the road when they are actual contenders and have to give the kids the big $$$

NeverForget06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:46 AM
TheBeastCoast

Quote:
I think the Leafs would have taken the 2nd round pick and prospect and maybe another pick or prospect.
Well yes then I agree, if the Leafs could have made the trade and not taken on Greening and Cowen and got extra assets that obviously would have been preferable but I'm assuming that wasn't an option with the Leafs not wanting to retain at all.

TheBeastCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:47 AM
jason2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverForget06 View Post
Leafs would be a better team with Phaneuf right now but the trade will pay off a few years down the road when they are actual contenders and have to give the kids the big $$$
Dion will fill the role until Chabot is ready so this idea its a awful deal for Ottawa I don't agree.

Old
02-05-2017, 11:49 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
What? That doesn't make any sense.

The deal was made from Toronto's end to clear long term caphit even if it meant taking short term cap.

If the leafs were asking for another pick and prospect the leafs would have had to retain a good chunk of phaneufs salary which defeats the purpose of the trade from the leafs end.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Ottawa got rid of four pieces that won't crack an NHL lineup. They got a #3 d-man for a 2nd round pick. Love the deal even if the contract length is likely 2 years too long. Considering the Ryan contract as well, it's not a big deal. Chances are we'll be in rebuild mode near the end of both of their contracts, and they'll probably be playing in the new building with a bigger budget.

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:50 AM
hagelin1381

Quote:
yep. the team is better because phaneuf isn't there anymore.. not because they added a crazy amount of talent this offseason.. p.s. your defense is still terrible

pretty even trade for both teams.. not sure there is a clear winner at this time

hagelin1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Sens win short term as Dion is a solid top 4 right now, but long term, that contract will become an issue.

Leafs lose short term as we are paying the garbage we got back to play in the AHL, but they win long term as next season our hands are washed of Dion's contract as well as all the other contracts being off the books.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Lshap
Global Moderator

Pretty smart trade. Leafs are a better team and have a huge chunk of extra money to spend on contracts. Perfectly timed move for them.

Meanwhile, Ottawa has also improved. They plugged a weak spot on D and should have another few years of Phaneuf before a sharp decline. He's not even 32 yet.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:56 AM
hockeyes

vCash: 50
When Dion was traded, Leafs were 19-24-9, or .9 pts per gp.

The last 30 games they went 10-18-2, or .4 pts per gp.

Assuming they continued to perform like they did prior to trading Dion, that gives them 15 extra points over the last 30 games, or 84 total at the end of the season.

Obviously I don't think Dion would have had that much of an impact alone, it's still not unreasonable to think the Leafs would never have finished last without trading him though. Even 2 extra points means they don't finish last.

The trade worked out great for both sides and while Dion would certainly help the Leafs this year it wouldn't be worth not making the trade.

hockeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:57 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
He's been everything Ottawa has needed to solidify our defense. Would make the trade again, any day.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 11:59 AM
ijuka

Leafs heavily lost with the deal. Sens got the best player and Leafs didn't really get anything valuable. Leafs got the contract off the books but Sens got rid of several bad contracts as well.

Even if it's the ~5 years of Phaneuf under contract vs a 2nd round pick it still massively favors Sens.

You look at Leafs' cap space for the next season - 19 million. Can they spend 12 million of that? If not, getting rid of that contract for that season was negative value(Leafs don't care about the actual money at all). The next season, they'll be at 43mil+ of cap space. Can they spend all of that somehow? Likely not(The best rookies will still be on ELCs), at least not with significantly more valuable deals than Phaneuf's. Summer UFAs rarely are solid value.

Maybe the season Marner and Matthews require new contract they're going to be able to effectively use all the cap space, but at that point Phaneuf will only have 2 years left on his deal anyway and he'd be much easier to ship. And up until that point, he'd have helped the Leafs defense(It's terrible).

ijuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Keeping it Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Very ignorant post.

Speaking as someone who was a big Phaneuf fan (and the only jersey I own with a name on it is his) I still support the trade.

Why? Because I can see more than 1 foot in front of my face.

Do we need a D man this year? Yep. Do I want to be paying 7 a year for it when the player is declining? No, that would be dumb when you consider the state of our team.

So yes, the situation in extremely comforting.

Keeping it Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Revelation

Quote:
That was back when the Leafs did everything they could to lose short of pulling their goalie at the start of the game though

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 12:02 PM
hockeyes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuka View Post
Leafs heavily lost with the deal. Sens got the best player and Leafs didn't really get anything valuable. Leafs got the contract off the books but Sens got rid of several bad contracts as well.

Even if it's the ~5 years of Phaneuf under contract vs a 2nd round pick it still massively favors Sens.

You look at Leafs' cap space for the next season - 19 million. Can they spend 12 million of that? If not, getting rid of that contract for that season was negative value(Leafs don't care about the actual money at all). The next season, they'll be at 43mil+ of cap space. Can they spend all of that somehow? Likely not(The best rookies will still be on ELCs), at least not with significantly more valuable deals than Phaneuf's. Summer UFAs rarely are solid value.

Maybe the season Marner and Matthews require new contract they're going to be able to effectively use all the cap space, but at that point Phaneuf will only have 2 years left on his deal anyway and he'd be much easier to ship. And up until that point, he'd have helped the Leafs defense(It's terrible).
Leafs don't get Matthews without trading Dion

hockeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Zybalto

vCash: 400
Both teams should be very happy with the results.

The Leafs decided to go in another direction and got a decent prospect and a 2nd rounder + contract space while Ottawa solidified their top four and are making a very good run at it this year.

I'm actually glad he is off the Leafs now so I dont have to hear any more "worst contract in hockey" crap that is obviously not true. H'es overpaid a bit but he brings a ton to the table. It was awesome hearing all of my Ottawa fan friends preaching they "didnt know he was this good" after the trade.

Really hoping for an Ottawa/Toronto first round this year.

Zybalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2017, 12:10 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuka View Post

You seriously think the Leafs are not better off getting a 7m AAV cap hit off the books until 2020-2021 when Phaneuf is turning 36?

Phaneuf would be a top 4 on our team and would certainly help our defense. But not at that cost. He would have further stunted the development/growth of Rielly and Gardiner- who blossomed moreso after he left. It was also time for a change in culture in the dressing room as well. Don't know how he would affect the Matthews situation either.

The Leafs will use that cap space in the short and long-term, its just a matter of how. There are some intriguing UFA's this year we can make a play for, JVR is entering UFA soon, expansion draft plays out, lots of options and it's a time to be patient right now. We aren't a small market team like the Sens with an internal cap but I also don't think our management has shown the M.O to spend it recklessly and overpay for UFA's.

Phaneuf at 4-4.5m AAV for what he provides (#3-#4 Dman) is a good player. But he doesn't really solve any one of our defensive woes, he was never a good defender here.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote