HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Duchene

Old
02-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Mortiest Morty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
No, I don't think he will be here tbh because of the draft.
He won't be here unless Poile trades assets to keep him.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 07:36 AM
triggrman

That I agree with.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 08:28 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

I'm trying to remember the last time we had a player we thought should be a trade target for the Preds that the board spent this much time discussing. I know when Jones was obviously on the block there was a lot of debate about Joey vs RNH but I can't remember the last time we were so obsessed with acquiring a single player... maybe when we were rumored to be in on Kessel...

I hope everyone is prepared for disappointment.... deadline trades generally are overpriced due to desperation which is why Poile (usually) makes his big trades at other times, when prices are more sane.

02-18-2017, 12:18 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

I hope everyone is prepared for disappointment.... deadline trades generally are overpriced due to desperation which is why Poile (usually) makes his big trades at other times, when prices are more sane.
I wrote this off about 3 weeks ago, to be honest, about the time people started seeing anything actually linking the Preds with Duchene. Poile's natural inclination is to surprise and this would be no surprise.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 01:14 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Couple articles out there today talking about how GMs say 1st round picks will be easy currency this year because it's considered a very weak draft. The top two players, Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier are the only two considered "impact" and even they would be outside the top 5 in say last year's strong draft.

02-18-2017, 01:28 PM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I wrote this off about 3 weeks ago, to be honest, about the time people started seeing anything actually linking the Preds with Duchene. Poile's natural inclination is to surprise and this would be no surprise.
Part of me just figures nothing gets done until after the Vegas draft, just too much uncertainty among GM's to get what the Avs are looking to get.

Part of me has already begun the process of wanting to smack Poile because it probably doesn't happen, and it probably ends up being a price most of us would have been willing to pay. The other part still hopes and tries to let it ride just so I can have a reasonable discussion about it.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 02:34 PM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

Maybe we put Exkholm and Jarnkrok in this deal. Maybe that will help Forsberg focus on his job instead of his buddies...stab in the dark there.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 11:30 PM
Legionnaire11
Go Vegan

I really like the guy, on and off the ice. But has anyone mentioned Subban for Duchene? Would Colorado even be interested?

I think it could be a big win for both sides and both players. I want Subban to be great for the Preds, and he has put up good numbers. But he just doesn't feel like a great fit, maybe it's lingering injury. Maybe with an offseason foe Poile to identify whatever is wrong and tweak the blueline. And maybe coming to training camp healthy and given a chance to put it all together will help.

Or maybe flipping him for a good scorer is the answer and PK can go be the man on the Avs blueline.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 02:21 AM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I really like the guy, on and off the ice. But has anyone mentioned Subban for Duchene? Would Colorado even be interested?

I think it could be a big win for both sides and both players. I want Subban to be great for the Preds, and he has put up good numbers. But he just doesn't feel like a great fit, maybe it's lingering injury. Maybe with an offseason foe Poile to identify whatever is wrong and tweak the blueline. And maybe coming to training camp healthy and given a chance to put it all together will help.

Or maybe flipping him for a good scorer is the answer and PK can go be the man on the Avs blueline.
Frankly I know most people would go nuts, but I don't think anything would bother me at this point. Outside of Ellis, I'm not stuck on any of our D core.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 11:52 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post

And what, Matt Irwin is a permanent top 4 d-man?

That's a bad trade both in terms of value and what it does to the roster.

nomorekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 11:58 AM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

Fabbro + 1st + 2018 2nd + prospect (I'd like to get Girard but it would probably be a safer one with a lower ceiling)

I dunno why there's talk of Ekholm being involved in rumours, this is a win now or next year trade for Nashville (though Duchene would probably re-sign there anyways) so I dunno why they'd move Ekholm.

Obviously I'd prefer Sergachev or Hanifin but if that doesn't work out then I'd like a deal like this quantity type of deal especially if we can get more than just one draft pick since our prospect pool is below-average and could use depth despite being a bad team.

I wish all this had just happened last year, Duchene for Seth Jones would've worked out better for both teams imo.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalens Oga View Post
Fabbro + 1st + 2018 2nd + prospect (I'd like to get Girard but it would probably be a safer one with a lower ceiling)

I dunno why there's talk of Ekholm being involved in rumours, this is a win now or next year trade for Nashville (though Duchene would probably re-sign there anyways) so I dunno why they'd move Ekholm.

Obviously I'd prefer Sergachev or Hanifin but if that doesn't work out then I'd like a deal like this quantity type of deal especially if we can get more than just one draft pick since our prospect pool is below-average and could use depth despite being a bad team.

I wish all this had just happened last year, Duchene for Seth Jones would've worked out better for both teams imo.
Ekholm is inserted because everyone knows Sakic wants a top 4 d man sooner rather than later Fabbro is going to be a 5 year plan. But I totally agree with you about the Jones Duchene thing and I really think Duchene is a better center than Johanson who had a rep of being lazy and shows it here now taking games off. Johanson has every ability to be as good or better than Duchene but he too often does not play to his talent. Reminds me of Evander Kane who is on a tear now in Buffalo but takes large segments of the season off. Kane could be a constant 35 to 40 goal guy but hes lazy as well.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 01:57 PM
Legionnaire11
Go Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

That's a bad trade both in terms of value and what it does to the roster.
Well it may end up being expanded upon, or there could be subsequent deals with other teams. If we're only looking for a reliable #4, they are definitely easier to find at a good price than a forward like Duchene.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 03:03 PM
herzausstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Ekholm is inserted because everyone knows Sakic wants a top 4 d man sooner rather than later Fabbro is going to be a 5 year plan. But I totally agree with you about the Jones Duchene thing and I really think Duchene is a better center than Johanson who had a rep of being lazy and shows it here now taking games off. Johanson has every ability to be as good or better than Duchene but he too often does not play to his talent. Reminds me of Evander Kane who is on a tear now in Buffalo but takes large segments of the season off. Kane could be a constant 35 to 40 goal guy but hes lazy as well.
Plus sending back ekholm greatly simplifies the expansion draft for us

herzausstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 03:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Couple articles out there today talking about how GMs say 1st round picks will be easy currency this year because it's considered a very weak draft. The top two players, Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier are the only two considered "impact" and even they would be outside the top 5 in say last year's strong draft.
Agreed, this draft has the scent of the 'David Legwand' draft. If the 1st is watered down, so will the rest of the picks in the draft.

EDIT: I'm working on degree number two and I'm taking a LOT of math based courses. The trade question is is Ekholm (current 4th D man) - Irwin (his replacement) + prospects + devalued 1st = Duchene + Hook or Fisher to wing. With Hook waking up at C, I'm on the fence. Though Fisher to RW would be interesting.

Would lead to:

JOFA line
Fiala-Duchene-Neal
Wilson-Hook-Fisher
4th liners

Josi-Ellis
Irwin-Subban
Bitetto-Weber
Hunt

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 02-19-2017 at 04:03 PM.
BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 03:52 PM
Gh24

Quote:
Because replacing a defenseman is not possible if you trade one away? Who has suggested that Matt Irwin would be our long term plan for top 4?

I don't think anyone has...

Gh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 04:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh24 View Post
Because replacing a defenseman is not possible if you trade one away? Who has suggested that Matt Irwin would be our long term plan for top 4?

I don't think anyone has...
I think he can play 20 minutes a game if Josi-Subban-Ellis eat 1:30 minutes a game more.

Old
02-19-2017, 05:30 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by herzausstein View Post
Plus sending back ekholm greatly simplifies the expansion draft for us
Right now any player the Preds lose due to the entry draft are a dime a dozen. The Preds are not going to lose a significant player because they can protect all that are decent at the game. Most folks act like losing Jarnkrok would be as damaging as Chicago losing Kane or something. 10 to 12 goal defensive centers can be had at any time of the year. Especially small guys.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Right now any player the Preds lose due to the entry draft are a dime a dozen. The Preds are not going to lose a significant player because they can protect all that are decent at the game. Most folks act like losing Jarnkrok would be as damaging as Chicago losing Kane or something. 10 to 12 goal defensive centers can be had at any time of the year. Especially small guys.
Jarnkrok is on pace for 17 goals and is currently 5th on the team in goals. Finding a very solid 3C on a great contract that can also play both wing positions and move up and down the lineup, kill penalties and fill in on the power play is much, much harder than finding a #4 left-handed D-man which you kept trying to tell me were so difficult to replace...

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 09:44 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Most folks act like losing Jarnkrok would be as damaging as Chicago losing Kane or something.
Ummm- no- just no- there isn't a single person on this board saying anything close to that.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Agreed, this draft has the scent of the 'David Legwand' draft. If the 1st is watered down, so will the rest of the picks in the draft.

EDIT: I'm working on degree number two and I'm taking a LOT of math based courses. The trade question is is Ekholm (current 4th D man) - Irwin (his replacement) + prospects + devalued 1st = Duchene + Hook or Fisher to wing. With Hook waking up at C, I'm on the fence. Though Fisher to RW would be interesting.

Would lead to:

JOFA line
Fiala-Duchene-Neal
Wilson-Hook-Fisher
4th liners

Josi-Ellis
Irwin-Subban
Bitetto-Weber
Hunt
Swap Fisher back to center and Jarnkork back to wing and that looks great. Fisher is simply better at faceoffs. I think Fiala would thrive with Duchene.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 02:26 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Swap Fisher back to center and Jarnkork back to wing and that looks great. Fisher is simply better at faceoffs. I think Fiala would thrive with Duchene.
I'm not sure about Hook back at wing. He's stats have shot up at C.

Old
02-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Gh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'm not sure about Hook back at wing. He's stats have shot up at C.
Yeah and if he ends up being our long term #3C he better get used to it

Gh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 12:18 AM
Scoresberg
No more Willy :(

Has Ekholm's value inflated so much now that he'd be considered straight up with Duchene? Considering Duchene's weak season.

Scoresberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2017, 12:21 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
Has Ekholm's value inflated so much now that he'd be considered straight up with Duchene? Considering Duchene's weak season.
I don't know, but I know this- I was all onboard the trade Ekholm/one of our D for a center. But not anymore. Still think we have to have one next year, but I am willing to do anything ELSE besides touch our top 4 D now.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote