HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Duchene

Old
05-16-2017, 10:35 PM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
Part of the problem is the parity in the league. There aren't that many team who are true sellers at any point.

What about Adam Henrique of the New Jersey Devils?

05-16-2017, 10:46 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Part of the problem is the parity in the league. There aren't that many team who are true sellers at any point.

What about Adam Henrique of the New Jersey Devils?
I like him pretty well, but he's not the type of 2C the Preds need if Neal is sticking around long term.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 08:15 PM
TheJungleHunter

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I've watched the Preds since they started when I was a kid and have read this board since the 2011 season. Finally decided to register and post.

Sorry for resurrecting this older thread, I just have considerable interest in the possibility of us acquiring Duchene for next season.

Hopefully we can win the Cup this series and then make the big moves necessary to keep us competitive for it again next season.

I feel that another off-season blockbuster trade orchestrated by Poile for a true 2C like Duchene is just what we need to play in the SCF again next year. The Weber-Subban trade helped propel us this year and I believe this kind of move would have the same effect next season.

What is the general feeling of posters here for the potential of such a trade after this amazing run the Preds have been on? I know this thread was sidelined after our other Centers really stepped up after the RyJo injury, but are Sissons, Gaudreau, and Jarnkrök (if not a Golden Knight) the long-term answers for our 2C?

I imagine that trading for Duchene would require losing a 1st + a guy like Fabbro and what else? I think such a trade would be worth it since the next few years are really our best window to win the Cup again after this year. Losing Fabbro would really sting, but the chance to play for another championship would probably dull that pain.

Curious as to y'all's thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited by TheJungleHunter: 06-06-2017 at 10:07 PM.
TheJungleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJungleHunter View Post

I imagine that trading for Duchene would require losing a 1st + a guy like Fabbro and what else? I think such a trade would be worth it since the next few years is really our best window to win the Cup again after this year. Losing Fabbro would really sting, but the chance to play for another championship would probably dull that pain.

Curious as to y'all's thoughts. Thanks!
Welcome. It may have been posturing but around the deadline Colorado made it clear that they want an NHL-ready/already good in the NHL defenseman in a deal.

I don't know if we really can afford to part with that and with them in the same division I can't see them being terribly eager to try and work a deal with us

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 08:48 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

If we want to stay a Cup contender for at least another two years then we don't touch this top 4, not for anybody.

If Sakic insists on one of them, then pass. If he will take one of our prospect d men (Fabbro maybe) and some extras, then it could happen

06-06-2017, 09:51 PM
drwpreds

I may be totally delusional, but I still think it possible we can get Duchene without touching our top 4. We have a ton of trade chips right now, both on the roster and in the system. Duchene may be unlikely, but if it is not him, then I am convinced we will have another quality center on the roster by next season.......

drwpreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 04:28 AM
josiesque

No way you should touch that Top4. Not even for a better center than Duchene.
Them together with Forsberg, RyJo, Arvi and Peks/Saros you'll be able to compete for a long time. To boot, some of them are just starting to be in their prime years.

josiesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 09:20 AM
token grinder
Facts Get Deleted

Originally Posted by glenngineer
Just saw something on the main boards saying we have a scout at the Pens game tonight and guess who their opponent is, the Avs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Stanley Cup Final scouting. Duh.
Visionary

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 09:27 AM
token grinder
Facts Get Deleted

I still maintain--
One of Fabbro/Girard
a 1st
One of Sissons/Aberg/Watson
Veteran (used to be Ribeiro here) Now can be Irwin/Bitetto/Harry Z etc. Just a NHL piece they can plug in now)

4 assets for 1.

Old
06-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Jonesey
Dept. of Defense

How does this look?

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/347535

Old
06-08-2017, 11:48 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
Take out Fabbro or the 2018 pick and it's doable I would remove Fabbro myself.

Duchene is not worth Aberg, Fabbro and 2 1sts.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Lateralous

If Eric Staal gets exposed to the expansion draft, how about:

To Vegas
2017 1st
Aberg
Agree to take C Smith

To Nashville
Staal

Lateralous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Legionnaire11
Go Vegan

Big what if, but how does the team look if we had traded Ekholm for Duchene, and then lose Ellis to injury...

Subban - Josi
Weber - Irwin
Bitetto - Granberg/Carrier

That's actually horrifying. I like Weber okay, but I don't want to re-sign him, and hopefully Irwin is the 7th defenseman next year. I think the forward group will be okay, the experience that Sissons, Gaudreau and Aberg have gained is huge. Salomaki will have a summer to heal up and if Kamenev or Ejdsell can grab a spot then we're set. But that third pair has crushed us too often, it really has to be upgraded to include skaters who can at least be trusted not to get completely burned for 12 minutes a night.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 11:50 AM
token grinder
Facts Get Deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Big what if, but how does the team look if we had traded Ekholm for Duchene, and then lose Ellis to injury...

Subban - Josi
Weber - Irwin
Bitetto - Granberg/Carrier

That's actually horrifying. I like Weber okay, but I don't want to re-sign him, and hopefully Irwin is the 7th defenseman next year. I think the forward group will be okay, the experience that Sissons, Gaudreau and Aberg have gained is huge. Salomaki will have a summer to heal up and if Kamenev or Ejdsell can grab a spot then we're set. But that third pair has crushed us too often, it really has to be upgraded to include skaters who can at least be trusted not to get completely burned for 12 minutes a night.
Sure would be fun for Vegas to take a vet like Irwin for their blueline (along with our first and prospect or young player.)

Old
06-11-2017, 11:27 PM
TheJungleHunter

Just the guy we need to get back to the SCF next season. Make it happen, Poile.

Old
06-12-2017, 02:46 AM
TheJungleHunter

Quote:
Just the guy we need to get back to the SCF next season. Make it happen, Poile.
Hmm...

Old
06-12-2017, 03:08 AM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Everyone does realize he had 6 more points than Colin Wilson this season in 7 more games? Some of these proposals are insane and would gut the future of this franchise. I'd offer every pick in this years draft and that's it.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 05:38 AM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Everyone does realize he had 6 more points than Colin Wilson this season in 7 more games? Some of these proposals are insane and would gut the future of this franchise. I'd offer every pick in this years draft and that's it.
I think it's safe to say that after this run Poile isn't going to let any of the top 4 go, so any proposal with them in it might as well not even have time wasted on it.

We also can't strictly look at points when it comes to him either. The guy did play on what was probably the worst team in the league last season. How much effort he and the others put in after a certain point certainly could have changed that.

Any way you look at it though, as far as centers go, he's a pretty damn big improvement over Sissons and Jarnkrok in that 2nd slot.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 10:17 AM
MrJoshua

2C is the only real hole on this team moving into next year. If you can add Duchene for a combination of draft picks and prospects not already on the roster (so no Fiala, maybe an Aberg) then I think you do it every day and twice on Sunday.

Assuming we lose Jarnkrok in the expansion draft:

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson
Fiala-Duchene-Neal
Wilson-Fisher/Sissons-Smith/Aberg
Salomaki-Sissons/Fisher-Watson
McLeod

And that's with one of either Aberg or Gaudreau not making the team and the other probably riding the pine, unless McLeod is moved along or something. That's some pretty nice scoring depth.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 11:21 AM
tampa pred

Quote:
Hmm...

Interesting. How unusual is it for a player to tweet something like this about a division rival?

This tweet shows how players now feel about Nashville. Not only have we have finally shaken the non-hockey market stigma, but Nashville should now be a desirable free agent destination.

tampa pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa pred View Post
Interesting. How unusual is it for a player to tweet something like this about a division rival?

This tweet shows how players now feel about Nashville. Not only have we have finally shaken the non-hockey market stigma, but Nashville should now be a desirable free agent destination.
One of my best friends talked to him at Tootsies after the All Star Game last year. After hearing what they talked about, to say he's interested in playing in Nashville would be a total understatement, now this.

Makes you wonder.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

He wants to be in Nashville. He is a country music fan. He publicly stated his love for the city during the ASG. We have been connected to him.

He would be perfect for this teams system and is a great player in his own right.

If he is acquirable without moving one of our top 4 defensemen, he would be a fantastic addition to this team.

06-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Osprey

It would probably have to take one of the top-4 defensemen, since defense is apparently what the Avs want and there's enough interest in Duchene around the league that they don't have to settle for less from Poile.

Before the playoffs, I was leaning towards Ekholm going the other way, but, based on how the playoffs played out, I may be leaning toward Ellis now. As good as he's been in the regular season, he seemed to struggle with the physicality and skill in the playoffs, getting rocked by big hits numerous times and struggling against Crosby. It's not like it's his fault, but it's unlikely to change in the future. Going through the West again is going to take its toll on him again, and, if they ever get to the SCF again, he'll likely be too banged up and too small to deal with the Eastern stars again. He's great in the regular season and the first round, but diminished play as the playoffs go on, coupled with the parallel increased importance of center depth, perhaps makes an argument for a strategic swap.

I'm not saying that Duchene is necessarily the right player to swap Ellis for, but it may take breaking up the top 4 to get the kind of help that they need, whether it's for Duchene or for someone that we didn't even think was available. Like with the Johansen-Jones swap, it's going to have to hurt some to get the kind of quality that is needed. Losing Ellis would hurt, but someone might step up in his place in the same way that guys stepped up to replace Suter, Klein and Jones and potentially having a two scoring lines (instead of relying heavily on the JOFA line) could be better for them in the end.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 05:20 PM
TheJungleHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
It would probably have to take one of the top-4 defensemen, since defense is apparently what the Avs want and there's enough interest in Duchene around the league that they don't have to settle for less from Poile.

Before the playoffs, I was leaning towards Ekholm going the other way, but, based on how the playoffs played out, I may be leaning toward Ellis now. As good as he's been in the regular season, he seemed to struggle with the physicality and skill in the playoffs, getting rocked by big hits numerous times and struggling against Crosby. It's not like it's his fault, but it's unlikely to change in the future. Going through the West again is going to take its toll on him again, and, if they ever get to the SCF again, he'll likely be too banged up and too small to deal with the Eastern stars again. He's great in the regular season and the first round, but diminished play as the playoffs go on, coupled with the parallel increased importance of center depth, perhaps makes an argument for a strategic swap.

I'm not saying that Duchene is necessarily the right player to swap Ellis for, but it may take breaking up the top 4 to get the kind of help that they need, whether it's for Duchene or for someone that we didn't even think was available. Like with the Johansen-Jones swap, it's going to have to hurt some to get the kind of quality that is needed. Losing Ellis would hurt, but someone might step up in his place in the same way that guys stepped up to replace Suter, Klein and Jones and potentially having a two scoring lines (instead of relying heavily on the JOFA line) could be better for them in the end.
I also feel that Ekholm is more valuable to us at this point, as well.

I would sure hate to lose Ellis or Ekholm, but we saw how our Top 4 simply was not enough to cover our lack of forward talent depth in the SCF. Our D kept us in it, but our inability to score was quite palpable in Games 5 & 6.

Let's say we did trade Ellis or Ekholm for Duchene: What pieces would go with them to bring back another decent defenseman along with the 2C?

Ellis/Ekholm + 1st/Prospect for Duchene & ______?

Old
06-12-2017, 05:29 PM
Osprey

Quote:
I also feel that Ekholm is more valuable to us at this point, as well.

I would sure hate to lose Ellis or Ekholm, but we saw how our Top 4 simply was not enough to cover our lack of forward talent depth in the SCF. Our D kept us in it, but our inability to score was quite palpable in Games 5 & 6.

Let's say we did trade Ellis or Ekholm for Duchene: What pieces would go with them to bring back another decent defenseman along with the 2C?

Ellis/Ekholm + 1st/Prospect for Duchene & ______?
One of the rumors that I heard around the trade deadline was that the Avs wanted to trade Beauchemin along with Duchene for a defenseman. Is Beauchemin still considered a "decent defenseman"? I honestly don't know, but Justin Schultz was ragged on hard when he was in Edmonton and a change of scenery later and he's a 2-time Cup champion. Beauchemin is 37, but his numbers don't look so bad and he could be decent enough to either buy time or be insurance for a younger player to step up and eventually replace Ellis permanently. At the very least, he'd be an experienced body on defense just in case Poile can't go on to find a better Ellis replacement through trade or free agency.

Speaking of free agency, maybe that's all that it'll take. This run had to have increased the team's desirability with free agents. Perhaps replacing Ellis/Ekholm could be done with a simple signing after July 1st. You certainly don't want to count on that, but it's a possibility.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote