Retired Bruins

Old
02-06-2017, 09:40 AM
jkutswings

vCash: 500
Retired Bruins

Disgruntled Wings fan coming in peace.

I always knew Bourque was awesome, but a couple facts caught me off guard:

He had FOURTEEN years of PPG production, including 13 in a row. Wow. Just wow.

Ray Bourque holds the NHL record for shots on goal in a single game by one player. With 19.

So kudos, Bean Town!

jkutswings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 11:05 AM
NickyFotiu
NYR 2017 Cup Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkutswings View Post

Ray Bourque holds the NHL record for shots on goal in a single game by one player. With 19.

So kudos, Bean Town!
Boston had the unreal honor of having Ray Bourque come along 4-5 years after Bobby Orr. Ray was amazing. I have him much higher on my best of all time lists than some people.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Terrier

In the early 90's, he went through a stress test at Mass. General and his conditioning was such that he almost broke the machine.

https://books.google.com/books?id=uE...20test&f=false

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 01:25 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkutswings View Post

So kudos, Bean Town!
Another great RB77 fact that I love to tout:

21 Seasons

21 top 7 Norris Nominees

15 top 3 Norris Finalists

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Park and Ratelle

Hey fellas....greetings from Rangertown. One of things that has always fascinated me is how Bruins fans feel about Park and Ratelle. Both players are unique in that they are both HOF players who are beloved by not just one but pretty much by two fan bases.

I've copied and pasted an article by Larry Brooks of the NY Post that discusses this below that I thought you guys might want to read as it looks like Park decided to wear a Bruins jersey and Ratelle ended up wearing a Rangers jersey at the NHL 100 at the all star game last week in LA. Park and Ratelle were two of my favorite Rangers ever and I was very sad when they both got traded for Espo and Vadnais.

How do you guys think about Ratelle and Park? I know you guys adopted them pretty easily as they were very productive players. To be honest, yeah I liked Espo and Vadnais but I never loved them. They were always Bruins to me even if they did help us to the Cup final in 1979.

It's just so odd that we here in Rangerland feel same way about them. It's not often that two fan bases have pretty much equal affinity for two players that were part of the same trade.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/05/mark-me...ueshirts-snub/

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 04:29 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Retired Bruins

Moderator Note

Discuss any former Bruins who are no longer active NHL players, coaches and managers.

From Bobby Orr to Sandy Moger.

The possibilities are endless.

Enjoy.

02-06-2017, 05:12 PM
Duguay
Stay at home Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Moderator Note

Discuss any former Bruins who are no longer active NHL players, coaches and managers.

From Bobby Orr to Sandy Moger.

The possibilities are endless.

Enjoy.
Sandy Moger, first guy to score at the Fleet Center & finished his career playing several years in Europe (Finland, Germany and Italy).

Duguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 05:19 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I remember Moger was suppose to be the new Neely. I also remember Moger putting a great hit on Lindros one game and Lindros spent the rest of the game hunting Moger down.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 05:25 PM
kutskova

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I remember Moger was suppose to be the new Neely. I also remember Moger putting a great hit on Lindros one game and Lindros spent the rest of the game hunting Moger down.
We had two of lake states best sandy m, and Blaine lacher! Go Lakers! Or not😞

kutskova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Hey fellas....greetings from Rangertown. One of things that has always fascinated me is how Bruins fans feel about Park and Ratelle. Both players are unique in that they are both HOF players who are beloved by not just one but pretty much by two fan bases.

I've copied and pasted an article by Larry Brooks of the NY Post that discusses this below that I thought you guys might want to read as it looks like Park decided to wear a Bruins jersey and Ratelle ended up wearing a Rangers jersey at the NHL 100 at the all star game last week in LA. Park and Ratelle were two of my favorite Rangers ever and I was very sad when they both got traded for Espo and Vadnais.

How do you guys think about Ratelle and Park? I know you guys adopted them pretty easily as they were very productive players. To be honest, yeah I liked Espo and Vadnais but I never loved them. They were always Bruins to me even if they did help us to the Cup final in 1979.

It's just so odd that we here in Rangerland feel same way about them. It's not often that two fan bases have pretty much equal affinity for two players that were part of the same trade.

That trade was the MOST fascinating that I can remember as a Bruins fan. I think we were pretty much universally hating the Rangers almost as much as the Canadiens until that trade. When it happened I was so excited I could've jump out of my skin. I loved Espo and really like Vad but Park was an incredible defenseman and Ratelle not only a great center who could win faceoffs with the best of them but he had by that time become a real gentleman of the game much like Gordie Howe was the last 15 years or so of his career (unless you crossed him).
So after Park and Ratty came to Boston I looked at the Rangers in a totally different light, especially since one of my boyhood idles was wearing Rangers colors.
Park and Orr only played 10 games together but it was hockey heaven watching them on the power play together.
42 years later Phil Esposito still holds a grudge against the B's organization because they traded him out of Boston...and Park lives here.

Last edited by Strafer: 02-06-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 05:41 PM
BruinDust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
That trade was the MOST fascinating that I can remember as a Bruins fan. I think we were pretty much universally hating the Rangers almost as much as the Canadiens until that trade. When it happened I was so excited I could've jump out of my skin. I loved Espo and really like Vad but Park was an incredible defenseman and Ratelle not only a great center who could win faceoffs with the best of them but he had by that time become a real gentleman of the game much like Gordie Howe was the last 15 years or so of his career (unless you crossed him).
So after Park and Ratty came to Boston I looked at the Rangers in a totally different light, especially since one of my boyhood idles were wearing Rangers colors.
Park and Orr only played 10 games together but it was hockey heaven watching them on the power play together.
42 years later Phil Esposito still holds a grudge against the B's organization because they traded him out of Boston...and Park lives here.
Anyone know what jersey these guys wore during the introductions of the All-star game.

I can see Ratelle wore his Rangers jersey. I wonder which team Esposito and Park represented.

BruinDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
So after Park and Ratty came to Boston I looked at the Rangers in a totally different light, especially since one of my boyhood idles were wearing Rangers colors.
I was working at a Wawa when I heard about the trade on the radio. I couldn't believe it. Really didn't mind losing Vadnais (not at all) but ESPO! And to the dreaded Rangers! Turned out to be one of the best trades the B's ever made.

Also, I had very high hopes for Joe Zanussi. He looked so good in the AHL.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 07:51 PM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinDust View Post
Anyone know what jersey these guys wore during the introductions of the All-star game.

I can see Ratelle wore his Rangers jersey. I wonder which team Esposito and Park represented.
Didn't the article mention Park wearing the Bruins jersey? I don't think they mentioned what Espo wore.

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Didn't the article mention Park wearing the Bruins jersey? I don't think they mentioned what Espo wore.
I recall watching the ceremony and Espo was wearing his Bruins jersey which was apropos IMO as he's identified by most of us who saw him play as Bruin rather than a Ranger

Old
02-06-2017, 08:38 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
I was working at a Wawa when I heard about the trade on the radio. I couldn't believe it. Really didn't mind losing Vadnais (not at all) but ESPO! And to the dreaded Rangers! Turned out to be one of the best trades the B's ever made.

Also, I had very high hopes for Joe Zanussi. He looked so good in the AHL.

It's odd I agree that you guys got the better of the deal but it wasn't so much the Espo vs Ratelle part. Both those guys had some pretty good years for our teams after the deal. But it was the Park vs Vadnais aspect. Park was still the 2nd best Dman in hockey at time you got him behind Orr.

The worst part of the Espo/Vadnais for Ratelle/Park deal for myself and most of my Ranger brothers was the insistance to Ranger mngt by Espo to bring over his Boston goomba Ken Hodge in a seperate deal to join him on the same line. For us to have given up our young emerging stud Rick Middelton to you guys in return for Hodge because he was partying too much with Derek Sanderson who we had signed as a FA has to be right up there as not only worst deal in Ranger history and on other hand best in Bruins history. That deal might go down as one of the most lopsided deals in the history of the entire league. You guys hosed us bigtime on that one as Middelton it can be argued should be possibly in the hockey HOF. Hodge had one decent year for us and than disappeared never to play again..

I still get the "shakes" when I think about that heist of Middelton Sinden pulled off on us...lol

Old
02-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

Quote:
It's odd I agree that you guys got the better of the deal but it wasn't so much the Espo vs Ratelle part. Both those guys had some pretty good years for our teams after the deal. But it was the Park vs Vadnais aspect. Park was still the 2nd best Dman in hockey at time you got him behind Orr.

The worst part of the Espo/Vadnais for Ratelle/Park deal for myself and most of my Ranger brothers was the insistance to Ranger mngt by Espo to bring over his Boston goomba Ken Hodge in a seperate deal to join him on the same line. For us to have given up our young emerging stud Rick Middelton to you guys in return for Hodge because he was partying too much with Derek Sanderson who we had signed as a FA has to be right up there as not only worst deal in Ranger history and on other hand best in Bruins history. That deal might go down as one of the most lopsided deals in the history of the entire league. You guys hosed us bigtime on that one as Middelton it can be argued should be possibly in the hockey HOF. Hodge had one decent year for us and than disappeared never to play again..

I still get the "shakes" when I think about that heist of Middelton Sinden pulled off on us...lol
The deal was Espo for Park. The Rangers needed a d-man to go back for the loss of Park while the Bruins needed a center to come back for the loss of Espo.

When you look at it the way it went down like that, If I were the Rangers, I don't make that deal.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 09:18 PM
BNHL

Quote:

I asked Park about coming to Boston and he said it was the best thing that ever happened to him.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 04:56 AM
Coors9

"Nifty" should be in the HOF.....

Coors9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 06:36 AM
08SeaBass08
Lucic and Chong

Quote:

From the article:
“When I saw him with it on, Jean said, ‘I spent 14 years there. It’s the right thing to do,’ ” Park said of the center, who made his Rangers debut at the age of 20. “And he’s right. It was. It was great to see him, I don’t get to spend time with him all that often, he’s a very private person who stays out of the limelight. We’ve all gone in different directions."

Ratelle seems to be as reclusive as Mark Pavelich these days. He was always exceptionally gracious in public, but hasn't made a local Boston-area appearance in at least a decade, although he still lives here, as does Park. Seems Park misses his old friend.

08SeaBass08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
This has always been one of my favorite sites for reminiscing :

http://web.archive.org/web/200503120...s-legends.com/

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coors9 View Post
"Nifty" should be in the HOF.....

I've had the pleasure of lining up opposite him in a couple of alumni games. No tape on that stick, of course.

http://tech.mit.edu/V129/N63/graphics/hockey.jpg

Nifty indeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMwN3MPV9rs

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 06:02 PM
NickyFotiu
NYR 2017 Cup Champs!

Quote:
So after Park and Ratty came to Boston I looked at the Rangers in a totally different light, especially since one of my boyhood idles was wearing Rangers colors.
If Espo still holds a grudge it just proves how much he loved being a Boston Bruin.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 06:34 PM
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT

Quote:

I started watching Bruins hockey in 1982-83 when I was 6 or 7 or so. Brad Park (along with Pete Peeters) were my first favorite hockey players. I know some Bruins fans who were a little bitter about the Espo trade and never really warmed up to Park, but Brad always seemed like an affable guy so it was hard to outright dislike him. Unfortunately he went right off to Detroit the next season and had a couple more good years which was the first of several times the Bruins broke my heart.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 06:46 PM
Dreghorn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
This has always been one of my favorite sites for reminiscing :

http://web.archive.org/web/200503120...s-legends.com/

Wally thanks for that link, it's excellent.

Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2017, 06:59 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Former NHL star Kevin Stevens sentenced to probation on drug dealing conviction

In a dramatic hearing that underscored the scourge of the state’s opioid epidemic, former professional hockey player Kevin Stevens, who was raised in Massachusetts and twice won the Stanley Cup, was sentenced to probation for conspiring to sell oxycodone.

Prosecutors had asked that Stevens, 52, of Weymouth, serve a year in prison, less than what he faced under sentencing guidelines.

But US District Judge George A. O’Toole Jr. said he was caught between a need to punish Stevens and a desire to support the rehabilitation of a man whose addiction began after one of the National Hockey League’s worst on-ice injuries.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...48L/story.html

Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote