HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ready for the playoff run?

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Gump_Wamsley

vCash: 500
Ready for the playoff run?

I can see it happening already, with roughly 30 games remaining, and Les Glorieux still fighting for that 8th playoff spot, many of this teams battle-hardenned fans digging deep and cheering for a berth in the post-season.

It's happened so many times before in recent memory. The Habs go through horrible slumps, half the team's players' heads are on the chopping block, the city, the media, and the fans are in an uproar. Then they squeak into the 8th spot and we all get playoff fever. The playoffs, where heroes are born. Right?

Can anyone else see what's wrong with this picture? I can.......

Fighting for 8th spot.....is a disgrace. Regardless of who is wearing the fabled uniform, regardless of who is behind the bench or in the front office. It's a disgrace.
Where is the pride? When did this team become content with a simple playoff berth? Not just this year, but the last 13 years?

Don't comment on salaries and money, I'm not going to ramble on about that, just look at the last 13 years, and the teams who played in the Stanley Cup Final. That should answer any questions on team salary.

If the Habs could have a fraction of the heart that their fans have, this board would be filled with completely different threads and posts. Imagine celebrating a division title and home ice in the playoffs? That would be nice.

So, my question is this:

Are any of you really hoping that the Habs can win an 8th or, IMAGINE a 7th place finish? Is making the playoffs one of the worst things that could happen this year, like the past 2 appearances have, misdirecting the talent and building on that talent?

Curious what you think......

Old
02-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump_Wamsley
I can see it happening already, with roughly 30 games remaining, and Les Glorieux still fighting for that 8th playoff spot, many of this teams battle-hardenned fans digging deep and cheering for a berth in the post-season.

It's happened so many times before in recent memory. The Habs go through horrible slumps, half the team's players' heads are on the chopping block, the city, the media, and the fans are in an uproar. Then they squeak into the 8th spot and we all get playoff fever. The playoffs, where heroes are born. Right?

Fighting for 8th spot.....is a disgrace. Regardless of who is wearing the fabled uniform, regardless of who is behind the bench or in the front office. It's a disgrace.
Where is the pride? When did this team become content with a simple playoff berth? Not just this year, but the last 13 years?

Don't comment on salaries and money, I'm not going to ramble on about that, just look at the last 13 years, and the teams who played in the Stanley Cup Final. That should answer any questions on team salary.

If the Habs could have a fraction of the heart that their fans have, this board would be filled with completely different threads and posts. Imagine celebrating a division title and home ice in the playoffs? That would be nice.

So, my question is this:

Are any of you really hoping that the Habs can win an 8th or, IMAGINE a 7th place finish? Is making the playoffs one of the worst things that could happen this year, like the past 2 appearances have, misdirecting the talent and building on that talent?

I think we're done.

Cap

Old
02-03-2006, 09:54 AM
NewGuy

http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/...a_playoffs.mp3

Old
02-03-2006, 10:00 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:

So, my question is this:

you're right. I think we should tank, secure, I see us ending up with the #5 overall pick, we should trade for the #4 overall pick though and grab one of Johnson, Kessel, Toews or Staal. By the way, we should really try to unload Jose's salary and get a decent blueliner via a trade and then sign another one in the off-season. Adding two great dman + getting rid of Theodore will help this team a lot in the future.

Old
02-03-2006, 10:03 AM
hab

looks like we are going to be watching the leafs in June. I thought it was the tough teams we have been playing, but I think st. lois could kick our *** at this point

Old
02-03-2006, 10:08 AM
PockIsGoD

Quote:

So, my question is this:

The reason the habs are not a contender every year is because of fans like you who would never tolerate a full scale rebuilding process. I'm talking of 2-3 years in the basement of the league, something like Pitts is doing, or Ottawa and Tampa did. When this team had a chance to go into full scale rebuilding, we had the worst GM ever (Houle). Even if we had the GM of all GM, Jesus himself, he could have rebuild this team properly, because the fan can't accept the reality in a 30 team league; you have to go down to go up. That's why Nordique fans where better, they went trough the worst to get the best.

The steelers are playing the SuperBowl. They went through some very rough patches, but they stuck with Bill Cowher, even when the team was sucking balls. They trusted their coach to get them to the ultimate goal. And he did, twice.

This is a 30 team league. 30, not 6. Winning every year is impossible, even the Yankees in the money bought MLB don't do that.

The future is bright in Montreal, the team is young, good prospect are coming, all we need is patience, we will get our decade of glory.

Old
02-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Gump_Wamsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD
The reason the habs are not a contender every year is because of fans like you who would never tolerate a full scale rebuilding process. I'm talking of 2-3 years in the basement of the league, something like Pitts is doing, or Ottawa and Tampa did. When this team had a chance to go into full scale rebuilding, we had the worst GM ever (Houle). Even if we had the GM of all GM, Jesus himself, he could have rebuild this team properly, because the fan can't accept the reality in a 30 team league; you have to go down to go up. That's why Nordique fans where better, they went trough the worst to get the best.

The steelers are playing the SuperBowl. They went through some very rough patches, but they stuck with Bill Cowher, even when the team was sucking balls. They trusted their coach to get them to the ultimate goal. And he did, twice.

This is a 30 team league. 30, not 6. Winning every year is impossible, even the Yankees in the money bought MLB don't do that.

The future is bright in Montreal, the team is young, good prospect are coming, all we need is patience, we will get our decade of glory.
Because of FANS LIKE ME? Hey, i shell out a big load of my yearly income for season's tickets. I watch every road game, and I'm at EVERY home game. I've bled bleu blanc rouge for 30 years. FANS LIKE ME deserve more than a 13 year rebuilding process. So do the rest of THE FANS LIKE ME on this board.

Old
02-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Gump_Wamsley

Pockisgod sorry, i just took one sentance from your opening and took it personal, my bad. Still...im not dilusional, i dont think we can run off another 5 cups in a row, but still. A competitve team is all i ask for, one that can challenge for a division title and have a serious run here and there.

The yankees dont win every year, true. But in MLB, 8 teams make the playoffs.....you HAVE to be a contender just to make the post season. Don't compare that to the NHL.

Old
02-03-2006, 10:37 AM
ti-vite

Habs last 10 years:

GMs: Savard, Houle, Savard, Gainey

Coaches: Demers, Vigneault, Therrien, Julien, Gainey/Carbo

Now that some impressive stability....

Old
02-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Gump_Wamsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD

Man, I don't usually harp on stuff but your reply is now getting to me!

Nordiques fans were better? Why? Because as you say, they went through the worst to get the best? The best, being the Stanley Cup I assume, only happened in COLORADO! After the team LEFT Quebec, and after arriving in Colorado, and after major FA signings.......so i really don't care much for all the 'work' the Nordiques front office did in rebuilding, seeing as it resulted in a Cup win South of the border.

Old
02-03-2006, 11:23 AM
oli500

Are d is terrible. The playoffs wont be for this year inless theres some sort of miracle and are d all of a sudden becomes good. Just dont see it hapening thow.

Old
02-03-2006, 04:24 PM
PockIsGoD

Quote:
Man, I don't usually harp on stuff but your reply is now getting to me!

Nordiques fans were better? Why? Because as you say, they went through the worst to get the best? The best, being the Stanley Cup I assume, only happened in COLORADO! After the team LEFT Quebec, and after arriving in Colorado, and after major FA signings.......so i really don't care much for all the 'work' the Nordiques front office did in rebuilding, seeing as it resulted in a Cup win South of the border.

I expressed myself badly, my point was that the Nordiques went through a real rebuilding process that saw their franchise player Statsny leave and other heavy fan favorite leave town to start fresh. And look how the franchise ended up. Of course the cup happened in Colorado, it was still the same franchise.

BTW, I was not, and never will I ever be some *****ed Nordique/recycled habs fan. I bleed bleu blanc rouge too. All I wanted to do, is point out what , in MY honest opinion, thought was wrong with the habs. I never meant to insult you or other poster on the board who also bled for the habs.

Anyhow, I do believe we will make the playoffs. We can't possibly be humiliated by the presence of the Leafs in the post-season while our players are warming the golf karts.

Old
02-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Habs

Quote:

So, my question is this:

Gainey Blows!

Old
02-03-2006, 05:03 PM
wholeshow*

offense stinks, defense blows, and our number one goaltender is amongst the worst in the league. oh yes, we're definitely in the playoff picture.

Old
02-03-2006, 05:09 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholefnshow
offense stinks, defense blows, and our number one goaltender is amongst the worst in the league. oh yes, we're definitely in the playoff picture.

umm... you forgot about our special teams.

Old
02-03-2006, 05:12 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan
umm... you forgot about our special teams.
we've been rather awful in all aspects of the game and it's sad to watch. we're playing less inspired hockey than the blues, jackets, penguins and capitals. hey if we continue this trend, we may finally get that can't miss blue chip prospect.

Old
02-03-2006, 07:57 PM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholefnshow
we've been rather awful in all aspects of the game and it's sad to watch. we're playing less inspired hockey than the blues, jackets, penguins and capitals. hey if we continue this trend, we may finally get that can't miss blue chip prospect.
hell at least when we had the terrible teams back in the 1996 era the played hard to not look so bad. You could since the hapiness when they one a game here and there.

The thing that troubles me about this edition is that these players have talent (talking about kovalev,koivu,zednik,bulis,souray). On paper this was suposed to be one of the best rosters we put up in years. We had a good mix of young and old players. Theres no reason for this squad to play as bad as they have. At the begining of the year these players learned how to win. One injury and the losses when up to the players head. I dont understand how this locker room lost that winning mentality so fast . Usualy it takes years for a team to hit rock bottom. We went from one of the hotest nhl teams who were able to beat the good teams to a dreadful team in the spend of 4 games. All never understand how this happen.

Old
02-03-2006, 08:09 PM
zurg999

Cold dose of reality: It'll take a record something like 19-10-2 to get in.

Who knows, maybe a four or five game winning streak and we're in the picture after all.

I'm rooting for them all the way.

Closed Thread