Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrik Laine Part V: The Man with the Golden Stick

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2017, 03:29 AM
winnipegger

vCash: 353
He has slowed down with the goal scoring, he's just not getting as many good looks at the net. Whether this is: teams game planning him, lack of confidence, affects of concussion, statistical variability...who knows. I'm not too worried, I will only worry next October because AFAIAC he's already exceeded expectations from the summer.

Old
02-11-2017, 04:47 AM
Andon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegger View Post
He has slowed down with the goal scoring, he's just not getting as many good looks at the net. Whether this is: teams game planning him, lack of confidence, affects of concussion, statistical variability...who knows. I'm not too worried, I will only worry next October because AFAIAC he's already exceeded expectations from the summer.
I read somewhere him saying (after last game) that it's not as easy to score goals as during the first weeks of the season, because everyone has upped their game this time of year.

He'll do allright for sure, get some points and score some goals and miss the playoffs and hopefully skip the world championships. But I think he kind of needs a long, proper rest period, physically and mentally. He's had so much going on in the past 14 months.

Old
02-11-2017, 06:41 AM
NotCommitted

I wouldn't say Maurice has treated Laine unfairly. There's plenty to criticize about Maurice but he's also done a lot of good things and IMO he's handled Laine pretty well. Of course Laine also started putting up numbers right away which helps, but still. Being demoted in one game for one period (!) shouldn't be something to overreact about

As for Laine, yeah it's been a while since he scored, but he's still PPG after his injury, despite lacking in the eye-test in some ways. I have watched only a couple games after he came back though. Being worried about a player who is PPG in the 7 games he has played after coming back from a concussion and over PPG since the beginning of December seems crazy. He'll get going again, whether it's just about regaining confidence or some lingering effects from concussion or whatever. By lingering effects I don't mean anything you could ever call an actual symptom, if he was having any he surely wouldn't be playing, but something a lot more subtle.

Btw. I kind of disagree about Laine needing a long rest period, I don't think that's the way a 18 year old body and mind works Some rest, sure. Of course depends on what is meant by a long period in this context.

Old
02-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Narow

Yessh sorry Laines has not been the same since concusion. Not shooting and when he does his aim is way off... not the same guy. I hope he returns. It is sadly at the point right now that it is not worth staying up to catch the games. And coach saying night and day difference on his game since he entered the league. Yeah i agree to the worse he straight up dominated some games before. He was also used as a shooter. Dont see that anymore. This guy had 11 goals in 11 games on LW and this coach switch him?

Öh frustratin right now hope im very wrong.

Surely his line being hemmered in their own zone with almost no scoring chances for two games straight is night and day better? Honestly both Laine and Ehlers have felt toothless for a while now. Atleast Little is doing well on a that line. Feels like they get 3-4 shots on goal ..between eachother per game. Atleast try Ehlers and Laine on their preffered wing and see what happends.

Old
02-11-2017, 07:44 AM
SCP Guy

vCash: 50
I do notice he no loner finished his checks since his concussion. He hit quite a bit at the start of the year when in forechecking... Now he will just waive his stick. I'm fine with it but hope he starts hitting again next season.

Old
02-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
I do notice he no loner finished his checks since his concussion. He hit quite a bit at the start of the year when in forechecking... Now he will just waive his stick. I'm fine with it but hope he starts hitting again next season.
He hits. He was never consistent with his hitting. But yeah i'm in the same boat with Narow. I don't even bother to wake up for the games anymore.

Old
02-11-2017, 07:59 AM
kelsier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narow View Post
Yessh sorry Laines has not been the same since concusion. Not shooting and when he does his aim is way off... not the same guy. I hope he returns. It is sadly at the point right now that it is not worth staying up to catch the games. And coach saying night and day difference on his game since he entered the league. Yeah i agree to the worse he straight up dominated some games before. He was also used as a shooter. Dont see that anymore. This guy had 11 goals in 11 games on LW and this coach switch him?

Öh frustratin right now hope im very wrong.

Surely his line being hemmered in their own zone with almost no scoring chances for two games straight is night and day better? Honestly both Laine and Ehlers have felt toothless for a while now. Atleast Little is doing well on a that line. Feels like they get 3-4 shots on goal ..between eachother per game. Atleast try Ehlers and Laine on their preffered wing and see what happends.
This exactly. It seems playing Laine on the left wing (where he will eventually be slotted) is physically a little bit more demanding. Considering how he plays on the left wing, trying to cut into the net usually against the toughest D's in the game isn't as easy as in the Liga. Once he has done bulking up he'll be doing that on nightly basis and will be really hard to stop. I wouldn't mind at all seeing him being given tryouts even now, with Ehlers or possibly even being slotted in with Scheifele and Wheelers just to see what happens. But for unknown reasons Maurice seems to be against playing him with Wheelers entirely. Who the heck knows what's going on in his mind. We did see a glimpse on the other game in the third period but it's a bit hard to create any chemistry within a few minutes of playing together.

The concussion has had a clear affect on him. I'm not too worried about it but nevertheless you can see that pretty clearly. Laine hasn't missed the net entirely on back to back games this often like ever. Luckily he's still putting up PPG even while not being at the top of his game. Imagine when he gets back on the right trails. It'll happen soon enough and we'll be in for a treat.

Old
02-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
This exactly. It seems playing Laine on the left wing (where he will eventually be slotted) is physically a little bit more demanding. Considering how he plays on the left wing, trying to cut into the net usually against the toughest D's in the game isn't as easy as in the Liga. Once he has done bulking up he'll be doing that on nightly basis and will be really hard to stop. I wouldn't mind at all seeing him being given tryouts even now, with Ehlers or possibly even being slotted in with Scheifele and Wheelers just to see what happens. But for unknown reasons Maurice seems to be against playing him with Wheelers entirely. Who the heck knows what's going on in his mind. We did see a glimpse on the other game in the third period but it's a bit hard to create any chemistry within a few minutes of playing together.

The concussion has had a clear affect on him. I'm not too worried about it but nevertheless you can see that pretty clearly. Laine hasn't missed the net entirely on back to back games this often like ever. Luckily he's still putting up PPG even while not being at the top of his game. Imagine when he gets back on the right trails. It'll happen soon enough and we'll be in for a treat.
I agree. His playstyle on the left wing will surely change (towards liiga style) when he bulks up but im positive he would get more trigger happy even now. He has a awesome shot that would at the very least give good rebounds for an attacker coming in on the right wing. It surprised me how little he has been shooting lately or at least the past two games. Hope its just the flow and ebb of being a rookie.

And im all for trying him out with everyone on the team especially now that the season is looking to be lost. Just try out every option plenty of times so we get a clearer picture of what works and what does not.

I really dont understand why Petan isent given his chances either he seems really good in my opinion.

And im less worried of the concussion than i am about the coaching right now but im just a novice so that does not mean anything.

That we are in for a treat, this i know with certain but i also know that we are not getting the most of Laine this season too. I have nothing bad to say about his production and im even surprised at how good his game translated to the NHL and this is despite not using him to his full strength. I sure hope Maurice knows what he is doing here. If Laines defensive abilities improve the most this season that would be the best for the future.

In my opinion Laines line whichever line that is should have its main focus on opening space for him and then get him the puck. right now (and since concusion) he has not felt dangerous in the offensive zone and i cant figure out if thats on Laine, the coaching or the opponents shutting him down.

Old
02-11-2017, 08:51 AM
kelsier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narow View Post
I agree. His playstyle on the left wing will surely change (towards liiga style) when he bulks up but im positive he would get more trigger happy even now. He has a awesome shot that would at the very least give good rebounds for an attacker coming in on the right wing. It surprised me how little he has been shooting lately or at least the past two games. Hope its just the flow and ebb of being a rookie.

And im all for trying him out with everyone on the team especially now that the season is looking to be lost. Just try out every option plenty of times so we get a clearer picture of what works and what does not.

I really dont understand why Petan isent given his chances either he seems really good in my opinion.

And im less worried of the concussion than i am about the coaching right now but im just a novice so that does not mean anything.

That we are in for a treat, this i know with certain but i also know that we are not getting the most of Laine this season too. I have nothing bad to say about his production and im even surprised at how good his game translated to the NHL and this is despite not using him to his full strength. I sure hope Maurice knows what he is doing here. If Laines defensive abilities improve the most this season that would be the best for the future.

In my opinion Laines line whichever line that is should have its main focus on opening space for him and then get him the puck. right now (and since concusion) he has not felt dangerous in the offensive zone and i cant figure out if thats on Laine, the coaching or the opponents shutting him down.
I think that has more to do with coaching than opponents or Laine himself. It doesn't take Ovechkin type of a hulking presence to get into that shooting area on the left side. I haven't seen much if any cross ice passes on the PP that would enable Laine to shoot the puck with one timer. They are instead playing it save and tossing the puck around with clean lines. Sometimes you have to take a chance, but for some reason they're afraid to execute those kind of a plays. Also Laine, while being the best shooter in the team and arguably the team's best PP player, doesn't even have a slot in the first PP unit. Looks a bit weird from how I see it anyway. Of course the best is yet to come and we cannot expect him to score in every game, yet with proper coaching I think this team would be a playoff team already (even with that abysmal goalkeeping).

Old
02-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
I think that has more to do with coaching than opponents or Laine himself. It doesn't take Ovechkin type of a hulking presence to get into that shooting area on the left side. I haven't seen much if any cross ice passes on the PP that would enable Laine to shoot the puck with one timer. They are instead playing it save and tossing the puck around with clean lines. Sometimes you have to take a chance, but for some reason they're afraid to execute those kind of a plays. Also Laine, while being the best shooter in the team and arguably the team's best PP player, doesn't even have a slot in the first PP unit. Looks a bit weird from how I see it anyway. Of course the best is yet to come and we cannot expect him to score in every game, yet with proper coaching I think this team would be a playoff team already (even with that abysmal goalkeeping).
I understand the clean lines passing and playing it safe. If you remember how their powerplay looked in the beggining of the season ... it was dreadful loosing possesion all the time and barely even getting into the ozone so at least that has improved much.

Problem is if they are gonna do that they must become way faster at passing so the opponents cant see the pass to Laine from a mile away.

But yeah the pp unit makes little sense to me aswell. I get the Idea of having the scoring threat split up in scheifele and Laine but the players around them dont seem as effective as having them together from what little (pun intended) i seen

Old
02-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Rambokala

The PP has been garbage and will be garbage until the people in charge of it are fired.

Old
02-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Board Bard
Dane-O-Mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
He was doing lots of drive-by waving before the hit too, with a few aggressive games mixed in where he looked like an absolute bandit. He could use some of Perrault's aggression, or even Ehlers', because he has the skill to make it pay off.

Old
02-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Couchcaptain

Laine has really stuck in the mud recently, he has looked like trying to run in the mud in the last few games.

One thing that is frustrating now is that he is not hitting anymore, i mean not at all.. He used to hit quite often and pretty hard too, before the concussion. He has looked like bit afraid of physical contact recently, looks little shy out there.
Second frustrating thing: he is not shooting anymore, i watch the games and get frustrated often when is on good shooting position and chooses to pass, all time every time recently.. He is supposed to be shoot first, not pass first guy!
I hate that playmaker thing, Laine is supposed to be a goal scorer first!

Old
02-11-2017, 03:25 PM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Board Bard View Post
He was doing lots of drive-by waving before the hit too, with a few aggressive games mixed in where he looked like an absolute bandit. He could use some of Perrault's aggression, or even Ehlers', because he has the skill to make it pay off.
Yep he has been doing that drive-by waving the stick towards the puck/stick of the puck carrier since the beginning of the season, you'd think it'd have been coached out of him by now as it rarely seems to work.

The before/after injury narrative seems way to convenient and imo is completely wrong. Those saying he is not shooting as much since the injury- he matched his season high in shot attempts in his 1st game back, he matched his season high in shots on goal in his second game back. He was engaged in a physical battle with Burns all night in his first game back.

The last 3 games are imo a combination of natural variance in an 82 game season, a slump for both him and Ehlers and maybe maybe some aftereffects of the injury. I would put more weight on the first two things than the third.

Tarasenko had a bad concussion during his rookie season in the NHL and slumped pretty hard on his return and didn't score much in the remainder of the season. Many blues fans blame him slow 2nd half of the season on the concussion but he was already slumping before he got injured. It is very easy to fall in the trap of looking at big eye-popping events and over-weight them in your cause-effect analysis.

Old
02-11-2017, 03:28 PM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchcaptain View Post
Second frustrating thing: he is not shooting anymore, i watch the games and get frustrated often when is on good shooting position and chooses to pass, all time every time recently.. He is supposed to be shoot first, not pass first guy!
How do you know that he is in a "good" shooting position on those chances? You are watching the game on tv and there is simply no way to tell from the angle of the broadcast whether there is a clear shooting lane to the net or not

Old
02-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
Yep he has been doing that drive-by waving the stick towards the puck/stick of the puck carrier since the beginning of the season, you'd think it'd have been coached out of him by now as it rarely seems to work.

The before/after injury narrative seems way to convenient and imo is completely wrong. Those saying he is not shooting as much since the injury- he matched his season high in shot attempts in his 1st game back, he matched his season high in shots on goal in his second game back. He was engaged in a physical battle with Burns all night in his first game back.

The last 3 games are imo a combination of natural variance in an 82 game season, a slump for both him and Ehlers and maybe maybe some aftereffects of the injury. I would put more weight on the first two things than the third.

Tarasenko had a bad concussion during his rookie season in the NHL and slumped pretty hard on his return and didn't score much in the remainder of the season. Many blues fans blame him slow 2nd half of the season on the concussion but he was already slumping before he got injured. It is very easy to fall in the trap of looking at big eye-popping events and over-weight them in your cause-effect analysis.
Not to mention playing against two of the top teams in the league in that 3 game stretch.

Old
02-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Couchcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
How do you know that he is in a "good" shooting position on those chances? You are watching the game on tv and there is simply no way to tell from the angle of the broadcast whether there is a clear shooting lane to the net or not
Well, that's true for sure.. It's easy to jugde everything by watching the game on tv screen.. There maybe something, but i would still say that he hesitates a lot more about shooting the puck recently, his confidence is definitely not up there anymore. I mean, when he was in fire earlier in the season, his shot looked like the best in the world.. Recently.. it has not looked dangerous, not at all

Old
02-11-2017, 04:59 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchcaptain View Post
Laine has really stuck in the mud recently, he has looked like trying to run in the mud in the last few games.

One thing that is frustrating now is that he is not hitting anymore, i mean not at all.. He used to hit quite often and pretty hard too, before the concussion. He has looked like bit afraid of physical contact recently, looks little shy out there.
I hate that playmaker thing, Laine is supposed to be a goal scorer first!
First, he's a really good playmaker. All season he has been setting up others with good scoring chances. Not his fault if they don't capitalize. He could have a lot more assists if Ehlers hadn't been snake bit early on. Second, if he always shot, they would just cheat more. By keeping them guessing, it opens up more shooting opportunities for him in the long run.

Old
02-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
First, he's a really good playmaker. All season he has been setting up others with good scoring chances. Not his fault if they don't capitalize. He could have a lot more assists if Ehlers hadn't been snake bit early on. Second, if he always shot, they would just cheat more. By keeping them guessing, it opens up more shooting opportunities for him in the long run.
But when he shoots he misses. I really hope he gets his shot back, because that was his big thing..

Anybody know if it's a thing..to lose your accuracy because of a concussion?

Last edited by Rambokala: 02-12-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old
02-12-2017, 11:17 AM
csk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
But when he shoots he misses. I really hope he gets his shot back, because that was his big thing..

It would explain Perreault

Old
02-12-2017, 12:46 PM
TiimuSeLaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post

I'm hesitant to answer your question, because I don't want to imply that Laine's "slump" is directly caused by the concussion, nor that he's still suffering from after-effects of concussion symptoms...but since you asked then the answer is; yes it's possible.

Concussion can very much affect, among other things, ones perception of three dimensional space, hindering ones ability to perform actions which rely heavily in the ability to accurately visualize/interpret the space around him. This is also one of the methods how concussions are diagnosed and a method of symptom screening during recovery.

Edit: And I want to emphasize that I'm not saying this is the reason why Laine's shot seems to be "off" atm.

Last edited by TiimuSeLaine: 02-12-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old
02-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiimuSeLaine View Post
I'm hesitant to answer your question, because I don't want to imply that Laine's "slump" is directly caused by the concussion, nor that he's still suffering from after-effects of concussion symptoms...but since you asked then the answer is; yes it's possible.

Concussion can very much affect, among other things, ones perception of three dimensional space, hindering ones ability to perform actions which rely heavily in the ability to accurately visualize/interpret the space around him. This is also one of the methods how concussions are diagnosed and a method of symptom screening during recovery.

Edit: And I want to emphasize that I'm not saying this is the reason why Laine's shot seems to be "off" atm.
HE'S DONE FOR!

Seriously though, Patrik wouldn't be playing if he still had concussion symptoms. So it's not that. An 18 year old probably goes down with the team pretty easily, when the times are bad.

Last edited by Rambokala: 02-12-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old
02-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Garbox

Quote:

I don't think so too. It was a bit off even before the injury. Now avoiding contacts CAN be an "after effect". He hasn't been a body checking machine previously, but he didn't avoid contacts either and even laid some heavy checks sometimes. Now there's something that makes it look like he's avoiding those situations. Might be something else, but that's what it looks like.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:03 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:

I think he's just suffering from Paul-sy.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:07 PM
10Ducky10

Play him with Armia on the opposite wing....he is one of our best D forwards on the team. Sorry if this was mentioned already.

Closed Thread