Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Blue Bombers Thread Part I

Old
02-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
I don't expect the moon from Lefevour, but in the home game against the Bombers, I thought he was better than Willy.

The Bombers still need to get a guy who they think could be the "next guy" in the stable. If it's not Davis, I hope they find someone.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkiddin View Post
Here we go again.... Lefevour cost them nothing. Low risk. Not a big deal. Nichols led the the team to their first playoff birth since what, 2011? Gotta stick with him. I agree with you on Davis, not a huge fan. What did you want them to do? Give up assets for a QB from somewhere else that may end up only being marginally better (or worse - not better at all) than what we have?
Ottawa just got Drew Tate for a 5th round pick. They could easily have stomached that. Franklin wants out of Edmonton, he likely would not have cost very much at all. Both are far superior options to Lefevour and have the potential to be actual starting QB's, unlike Nichols. In order to win Grey Cup you need talent at QB in today's CFL. Bombers do not have that.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 11:24 AM
snowkiddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Ottawa just got Drew Tate for a 5th round pick. They could easily have stomached that. Franklin wants out of Edmonton, he likely would not have cost very much at all. Both are far superior options to Lefevour and have the potential to be actual starting QB's, unlike Nichols. In order to win Grey Cup you need talent at QB in today's CFL. Bombers do not have that.
Tate would've been just what we needed. Another injury prone QB. Didn't we learn our lesson with Buck Pierce? Tate hasn't started in how long? Hell he only has something like 14 career starts. And who knows what the cost on Franklin would've been? Again why give up anything for someone who isn't a sure fire starter?

snowkiddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 11:29 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:
Tate would've been just what we needed. Another injury prone QB. Didn't we learn our lesson with Buck Pierce? Tate hasn't started in how long? Hell he only has something like 14 career starts. And who knows what the cost on Franklin would've been? Again why give up anything for someone who isn't a sure fire starter?
I'd personally take Tate over every Bomber QB right now.

At the very least, he'd come in and compete for the starting job.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 11:46 AM
kanadalainen
The spruce returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post

IMHO Tate has great talent, and better vision than any of the bombers QBs signed for next year. Practically, his downside (as has been said) is his proclivity for injuries. His shoulder dislocation and surgury likely is a problem (non-throwing arm), but I like his TD/INT ratio. Too bad this guy can't stay together long enough to start for > 10 games in sequence.

kanadalainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadalainen View Post
IMHO Tate has great talent, and better vision than any of the bombers QBs signed for next year. Practically, his downside (as has been said) is his proclivity for injuries. His shoulder dislocation and surgury likely is a problem (non-throwing arm), but I like his TD/INT ratio. Too bad this guy can't stay together long enough to start for > 10 games in sequence.
The counter point is we have Nichols now, who is established as a solid CFL backup.

A Tate-Nichols-[prospect] QB depth chart is respectable.

A Nichols-Lefevour-[prospect] QB depth chart is probably the worst in the league.

Unless the Bombers can replicate their miracle turnover ratio, they'll be in tough.

Old
02-24-2017, 04:50 PM
gbill2004*

Quote:
Tate is a terrible QB....he's not the same QB he was 5-6 years ago. And what's your source on Franklin? Edmonton wants a first rounder + for him.

gbill2004* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 04:51 PM
gbill2004*

Quote:

Thank God you aren't the Bombers GM. Tate is terrible. He doesn't even want to start.

gbill2004* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
I'd prefer Tate over LeFevour, but neither one is ideal. Would actually have preferred Glenn over both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I don't expect the moon from Lefevour, but in the home game against the Bombers, I thought he was better than Willy.
He was awesome in that first half, but basically fell apart in the second half once the Bombers kept him confined to the pocket. I have real concerns about his ability to read defenses.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I'd prefer Tate over LeFevour, but neither one is ideal. Would actually have preferred Glenn over either one.
Me too.

Old
02-24-2017, 07:49 PM
Blitzkrug
#All4Jarvis

vCash: 819
I swear to god LeFevour has been that "he's gonna break out i swear" player for like the last three seasons. I'm sick of hearing about him.

I hate him. Unjustified? Probably, but i hate him. Would have much rather hung on to Glenn, or even make that move for Tate since he'd probably make an okay starter/potential competition for Nichols.

Blitzkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 11:10 PM
blueandgoldguy

Glenn is better than the Fever but he was probably not a realistic option given he had better options elsewhere.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 11:36 PM
JetBlue420

Glenn and Tate and The Fever are all just backups who can fill in for a few games if need be. They aren't starters anymore tho. Seriously Calgary gave tate away for basically nothing. Glenn went to the only team who doesn't have a starting QB. These guys are known but it's based on what they did years and years ago because what they did recently is Nothing. The Fever actually started a few games last year and looked capable. He's a good fill in for a game or 2 and I'd take him over career backups like tate and almost 40 year old legit definition of Journeyman Glenn

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2017, 12:48 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
Glenn and Tate and The Fever are all just backups who can fill in for a few games if need be. They aren't starters anymore tho. Seriously Calgary gave tate away for basically nothing. Glenn went to the only team who doesn't have a starting QB. These guys are known but it's based on what they did years and years ago because what they did recently is Nothing. The Fever actually started a few games last year and looked capable. He's a good fill in for a game or 2 and I'd take him over career backups like tate and almost 40 year old legit definition of Journeyman Glenn
That's future Hall of Famer Kevin Glenn.

Top 10 in Yards, TD's, and Completion Percentage.

Old
02-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
They need to give up assets to get a QB because we don't have a quality starting QB. I would rather "waste" the assets and try to take advantage of the good team we have by going out and getting a QB than "waste" the assets not winning because our QB won't be able to take us over the top. Even if that player might not be better than Nichols, we know Nichols isn't good enough. This is like the Pavelec debate all over again.

Even Nichols biggest fans can't have him ranked better than 8th best QB in the CFL. And people forget that Nichols is very injury prone, being shut down for the year 3 straight years in Edmonton. We are in big trouble with the QB spot and it's too bad. The Bombers have a good team but no current QB and no future QB.

O'Shea and Walters have done a solid job to date, IMO. But this decision to run a Nichols - Lefevour - Davis depth chart at QB is a tragic mistake.

Old
02-25-2017, 10:38 AM
HannuJ

Quote:
They need to give up assets to get a QB because we don't have a quality starting QB. I would rather "waste" the assets and try to take advantage of the good team we have by going out and getting a QB than "waste" the assets not winning because our QB won't be able to take us over the top. Even if that player might not be better than Nichols, we know Nichols isn't good enough. This is like the Pavelec debate all over again.

Even Nichols biggest fans can't have him ranked better than 8th best QB in the CFL. And people forget that Nichols is very injury prone, being shut down for the year 3 straight years in Edmonton. We are in big trouble with the QB spot and it's too bad. The Bombers have a good team but no current QB and no future QB.

O'Shea and Walters have done a solid job to date, IMO. But this decision to run a Nichols - Lefevour - Davis depth chart at QB is a tragic mistake.
listen, we all know how you feel about Nichols. you've made it loud and clear a number of times.

you may be right. you may be absolutely wrong.

you forget that our O line was pretty savage last year. you also forget the one X factor: Nichols and our O coaches seem to be on the same page. so you're not seeing plays where he's hung up in the pocket or trying to do things he's incapable of doing. i don't have the stats, but his sack #s, i assume, aren't overly high.

again, i don't have an issue with the Bombers going with what worked very, very well for them last year. starting from scratch and dumping Nichols, IMO, would have been a crazy mistake. but i do agree with the concerns about depth. hey, we don't have the crappy backup QB situation we had a few seasons back, so i'm kind of OK with things.

on paper, this team looks really, really good. unsure where my concerns would be. the corners, perhaps? still not 100% confident on their receiver coverage.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2017, 11:40 AM
bustamente

vCash: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post
listen, we all know how you feel about Nichols. you've made it loud and clear a number of times.

you may be right. you may be absolutely wrong.

you forget that our O line was pretty savage last year. you also forget the one X factor: Nichols and our O coaches seem to be on the same page. so you're not seeing plays where he's hung up in the pocket or trying to do things he's incapable of doing. i don't have the stats, but his sack #s, i assume, aren't overly high.

again, i don't have an issue with the Bombers going with what worked very, very well for them last year. starting from scratch and dumping Nichols, IMO, would have been a crazy mistake. but i do agree with the concerns about depth. hey, we don't have the crappy backup QB situation we had a few seasons back, so i'm kind of OK with things.

on paper, this team looks really, really good. unsure where my concerns would be. the corners, perhaps? still not 100% confident on their receiver coverage.
Also don't forget we have a pretty solid running game to help Nichols.

bustamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2017, 06:04 PM
snowkiddin

Quote:

We had Pavelec for years and each year he was below average. We've had Nichols for one year and he was above average. Is Nichols the reason we lost to BC last year? I don't think so. Was Nichols the reason we had a good season in general last year? I don't think he was the reason but he helped contribute or at the very least didn't cause us to be a bad team. You prefer Tate who hasn't been a relevant starter for a few years, but dislike Nichols (for whatever reason) who at the very least was an adequate starter last year.

snowkiddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2017, 08:20 PM
BigZ65

Quote:

Tate literally said his last go 'round in free agency that he does not want to be a starter. He's enjoying semi-retirement. He's likely to take on a 3rd string/coaching role in Ottawa with Brock Jensen being the #2.

I really like LeFevour. He's kind of what Lapo has always wanted in a guy with mobility who can pass a bit too. He hasn't really had a shot anywhere in terms of anything but being a desperation fill-in. Even in that scenario he was decent. When he had a role in Hamilton he was really good. Injuries are a concern, as well as turnovers. TBH, you aren't going to get much better than him on the sideline. Edmonton isn't giving up Franklin. They are succession planning. More likely you get Reilly out of them heading into 2018.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 10:59 PM
sipowicz
The Original

OT: 2017 Blue Bombers Thread Part One

Sad news about Reaves son!

Hope it doesn't put an end to his sports career!

If you can get past the Freep paywall;

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...416396244.html

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 11:14 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post

No need to bother with the paper that doesn't want readers. You can read about it on TSN:
http://www.tsn.ca/report-riders-reav...arges-1.698792

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 01:01 AM
tbcwpg

Guess those Virtuity Mortgage commercials he did with his brother weren't as lucrative as he would have liked. Too bad.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Jets 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post

I wouldn't say sad , if it's true they said for purposes of trafficking , which means he had alot on him , i would say he's a dumb- ass and i don't feel sorry for him .

Jets 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Winnipeg Blue Bombers receiver Ryan Smith today announces his retirement from professional football.

Quote:
Winnipeg Blue Bombers receiver Ryan Smith today announces his retirement from professional football.
That was unexpected. Kind of makes sense though as it was pretty crowded at receiver so I wonder if Walters knew this was coming. Denmark, Adams, Stafford, Dressler, Feoli-Gudino/Richards was the group I thought should be the starters anyways.

EDIT:

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-31-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old
03-31-2017, 10:14 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:

That was unexpected. Kind of makes sense though as it was pretty crowded at receiver so I wonder if Walters knew this was coming. Denmark, Adams, Stafford, Dressler, Feoli-Gudino/Richards was the group I thought should be the starters anyways.

EDIT:
Damn shame. The guy had the best catching hip in the league.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote