HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Looking Ahead (my take on the near future, very long)

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Looking Ahead (my take on the near future, very long)

Obviously, many people around here are frustrated with the way the Habs have performed the last 2-3 months or so, myself included. It's very easy to say, "Trade them all! Buy them out! Start over!" However, that is not a realistic, feasible, or effective option. The truth of the matter is, we need to look at the resources we have, and decide how we can progress from here.

Unlike many posters on these boards, I think we have an effective core which, if the support cast was modified, could end up being effective. To me, this is our core:

____ - Saku Koivu - Alex Kovalev
____ - Tomas Plekanec - Michael Ryder
Chris Higgins - Radek Bonk - ____
____ - Steve Begin - Garth Murray

Andrei Markov - ____
____ - Craig Rivet
Francis Bouillon - J.P. Coté

Jose Theodore
Christobal Huet

Depending on how the blanks are filled in, I believe this is a team that can be highly competitive and be up there with the best in the league.

Now, let's see how the blanks are approximately being filled at the moment:

Chris Higgins - Saku Koivu - Alex Kovalev
Richard Zednik - Tomas Plekanec - Michael Ryder
Jan Bulis - Radek Bonk - Niklas Sundstrom
Aaron Downey - Mike Ribeiro - Steve Begin
(Garth Murray on IR, Raitis Ivanans in the press box)

Andrei Markov - Craig Rivet
Sheldon Souray - Mathieu Dandenault
Mike Komisarek - Mark Streit

Jose Theodore
Christobal Huet

I'll begin by explaining why I feel that the players in the core belong here and can be a part of our winning team, and then I'll get into why those presently filling the gaps need to be changed up.

Saku Koivu: Our leader, and the guy who has been our EVERYTHING for the past 10 years or so. We've expected way too much from Koivu over the years. By this, I don't mean we've expected him to be a number 1 center and he isn't, because in my humble opinion, he is a legitimate first line center. We've looked at him as much more than that. In the eyes of many, he has been our franchise player. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a role he can't play. A #1 center is allowed off-nights and injuries, which Koivu is sometimes prone to. A franchise player is not. A #1 center needs linemates to help him out. A franchise player - often - does not. Saku Koivu is not a franchise player, but he is an elite player in the league, and a true icon in Montreal. Letting him walk away could possibly send this club into turmoil for years. Now you can argue that they're already in turmoil, and their recent play is definitely unexplainable, but a couple of minor moves, and stringing a few wins togeter will make the glass appear half full once again. Anything under $4 million per year, and Saku Koivu must be retained. He is motivated to win a Stanley Cup here, and I believe that can happen. You can question his leadership and how good a captain he is all you want. You don't remove someone from a team for that reason. Talk to him about it, then make someone else the captain if you must, but Saku Koivu remains a Montreal Canadien.

Alex Kovalev: It is often frustrating to see how skilled Kovalev is in a game, but then to watch him float and not give his all. That said, Alex Kovalev is the most skilled player on this team, and you can't win unless you have some top talent in your line-up. Additionally, the 4-year contract we gave him means he is part of our long-term plans, like it or not. What we need, perhaps, is to bring in someone who will make hockey fun for Alex again. Perhaps someone he has played with before, to complete our top trio, much as the New York Rangers did for Jaromir Jagr. In any case, if we're looking to build a winner, we need first line players, and Kovalev is one, so he stays.

Tomas Plekanec: I am a huge Plekanec fan, and think he is becoming - if he isn't already - a legit #2 center in this league. He's young, speedy, tenacious, and has great offensive instincts, all the while being reliable defensively. Plekanec is another piece of the puzzle definitely locked in.

Michael Ryder: Ryder is our resident sniper - a shooter on a team sorely lacking such player. Ryder's skating has vastly improved over last year in my opinion, and he is showing that his rookie year was no fluke. Another young, talented top 6 forward locked up.

Chris Higgins: I like Higgins a lot, but I think he suffers a bit from Jan Bulis-itis, in that a weakness in his game is his finishing ability. Now I like Bulis a lot too, and feel that Higgins can be a very valuable part of this team, but on the third line rather than one of the top 2 where he is being used at present. Higgins is a great defensive presence to have in the line-up, while also potentially being able to pot 20 a year down the road. Again, a young, quick player, who should be part of the solution for the Canadiens.

Radek Bonk: Say what you want about Bonk, realistically, he won't sit in the stands for the remainder of this year and all of next. The fact that he's still under contract for one year after this one, and the fact that this contract makes him virtually untradeable, means we need to keep faith in him, and hope that he can turn his game around. Thus, Bonk remains a part of our core for the immediate future, and as a third liner, I don't mind him being here. He is a big body, even though he doesn't use it for physical play, and with primary and secondary scoring already looked after, is a suitable third line threat.

Steve Begin: I don't think I need much explanation here. I don't think Begin has it in him to regularly be more than a fourth liner, but at playing on the fourth and PK, he is one of the best in the league. The only guy on the team regularly willing to throw himself to the ice to block shots, Begin brings us a lot of grit, and can be counted on for 10 or so goals a year.

Garth Murray: I was a major Jason Ward fan, and Murray fills the void left by Ward perfectly. Murray plays a lot like Begin, and that is a huge compliment for a young fourth line grinder. Combined, these two from the base of the exact fourth line we need.

Andrei Markov: Markov is our #1 defenseman, and this year is showing that he can be a legitimate #1. Defense is a weak spot on this club, and this makes Markov extremely important for our future. His injury has been a significant plague on our team this year. Definitely a key piece.

Craig Rivet: Admittedly, Rivet has played well alongside Markov. However, if we're serious about building a winner, we need to bring in a true top pairing defenseman to play with Markov, and bump Rivet down to top 4 status. Rivet brings leadership to the team, and is one of our more reliable defenders. And, even if you don't like him (which there is no reason not to), his contract for next year keeps him with us.

Francis Bouillon: Bouillon makes an amazing bottom pairing defender. Unfortunately, at the moment, he is being asked to be much more than that. Bouillon has not really disapointed in this increased role, which makes him an ideal #5 guy for us in the future, as, if, say, Craig Rivet is having an off-night, he can be benched and Bouillon can take his minutes. A small kid, which makes his pairing with Cote a good match.

J.P. Coté: Quite possibly the biggest surprise this year has been the great play of Coté. In my opinion, he has passed all of Mark Streit, Mike Komisarek, and Mathieu Dandenault in the depth charts, and has shown that he can be a regular NHL defenseman. As I mentioned above, a perfect partner for Bouillon to form our bottom defense pariing.

Jose Theodore: Well, we're stuck with him. Theodore has the potential to be a top calibre goaltender in the league, but he needs a lot of work. He is not in a "slump" right now, but rather his game is off and he needs significant adjustments. His contract makes him very difficult to move, and so we need to keep hoping that, given time, he will elevate his game and at least become an above average starter in the league.

Cristobal Huet: Huet has shown he is a phenomenal back-up goaltender. While Yann Danis will be breathing down his neck, I certainly don't feel letting Huet walk would be the right choice this Summer. Personally, if we could find a taker for Theodore, I would be comfortable with a Huet/Danis tandem splitting games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to explain my exclusions. These are players I don't feel should be a part of this team either for the rest of this season, or certainly for next year:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard Zednik: I believe Zednik can be a second line winger in this league, as he has shown in the past. However, I think his time in Montreal is through. His play this year has been attrocious, as he causes turnovers, and lately, can't receive a pass properly. I think many teams might be interested in taking a flyer on Zednik if the asking price isn't too high.

Mike Ribeiro: Again, a team with a serious need for a second line center could very well be interested in the cheap, young Ribeiro. In Montreal, we're set down the middle with Koivu / Plekanec / Bonk / Begin, so Ribeiro should be moved.

Jan Bulis / Niklas Sundstrom: Reasons for the exclusions of these two are similar. Both will be unrestricted free agents this Summer, and while I wouldn't mind retaining Bulis's services, I can easily see the two of them signing elsewhere. Both are defensive-minded forwards, with Bulis being the one with the better offensive upside. However, they are not core pieces of our team, and are easily replaceable forwards. That said, in my mock-up at the top, there is a gap on the third line, and thus if Bulis can be re-signed cheaply, he may remain a Hab. If either Sundstrom or Bulis can be dealt this year, I'd definitely keep my ears open.

Aaron Downey / Raitis Ivanans: I believe Downey will be a UFA this Summer, and I'm unsure about Ivanans' status. I do NOT believe we can regularly have two tough guys / goons / enforcers in our line-up. I do not buy the comparison to Ottawa's Neil and McGratton, because our team does not have the same talent level as the Senators. Ottawa can afford to devote two slots to those players because their other forwards are just so good. With our team, we have a spot for one enforcer, and even then it is likely that player would not get into every game. Of the two, I think Ivanans is the more likely candidate to be retained, as his presence would be welcome for the development of Andrei Kostitsyn, Siarhei Kostitsyn, and potentially Mikhail Grabovsky.

Sheldon Souray: Souray will likely have a somewhat decent trade value at this point in time, and he may prove to be a good gamble for a team to take. After his personal life was flashed across the media in Montreal, a fresh start elsewhere may be just what the doctor orders for him. Souray regularly gets exposed in 1-on-1 situations, and has been at fault for some of the prettier goals scored against us this year due to his weak defense against deking forwards. Right now, Souray is not a reliable top 4 defenseman, and so he is a good candidate to be shipped out.

Mathieu Dandenault: While I was tollerant with Bonk and Theodore due to their contracts keeping them in Montreal, Dandenault is a guy who I'm just about ready to say forget it and buy him out. His play has been a major disapointment, and he ranks near the bottom of our defensive depth chart. I doubt any team in the league would give up anything for him, so I would advocate placing him on waivers and hoping for the best. Or perhaps a team with a player in a similar situation would be interested in a swap. In any case, Dandenault is a guy I desperately want off this team.

Mike Komisarek: Komisarek is still young, and he certainly has the potential to blossom into a good defenseman. All the same, his play this year has been extremely disapointing, and if we can get a decent return for him, I would look to move him as soon as now. Sitting in the stands won't help his development, but getting him in the game doesn't help our team, so he is a victim of a catch-22, and thus any trade options should be explored.

Mark Streit: I haven't minded the play of Streit this year, as he seemed to get better as the season moved on. However, with Bouillon and Coté, our bottom pairing is already complete, and I don't see Streit being anything better than that. Retaining him cheaply as a 7th D is a decent option, but nothing more than that.

Next, we need to look inside the system for replacements, to see which positions we desperately need to fill, and which we might be able to fill internally.

If we find a way to move all of the players I listed just above, while retaining those I listed as core, and we don't add any roster players to our team, we may be looking at something like this for the 2006-2007 season:

Andrei Kostitsyn - Saku Koivu - Alex Kovalev
Alexander Perezhogin - Tomas Plekanec - Michael Ryder
Chris Higgins - Radek Bonk - Jonathan Ferland
Maxime Lapierre - Steve Begin - Garth Murray

Andrei Markov - Craig Rivet
Andre Benoit - Mark Streit

Jose Theodore
Cristobal Huet

Clearly, defense becomes the most notable problem. Thus, that should be a primary position we look to acquire players to fill in any moves. Up front, Alexander Perezhogin and Andrei Kostitsyn might both be ready to be top 6 forwards next year. However, I'm not particularly comfortable with having both of them in my top 6, and for this reason, I would look to trade Perezhogin in a package with some of the players mentioned as tradeables above to hopefully bring in a star player to fill one of the roles. Also among the forwards, I think ideally Jonathan Ferland should be limited to a fourth line role, meaning we have a gap on the third line. This spot might be filled by keeping Jan Bulis in the fold, or by signing cheaply a two-way forward from available UFAs.

I don't believe that Guillaume Latendresse will make this club next Fall unless he truly turns his season around and has another great camp. I think 2007-2008 could turn out to be a widely contested training camp, with Latendresse, Kyle Chipchura, Mikhail Grabovsky, Siarhei Kostitsyn, Ryan O'Byrne, Oskari Korpikoski, and Alexei Emelin all *potentially* vying for jobs, not to mention the question mark of our future goaltending situation (Yann Danis, Jaroslav Halak, Carey Price, Cristobal Huet, Jose Theodore, Christopher Heino).

But we need not concern ourselves with 2007-2008 just yet. We need to set up a team for the remainder of this year, and for next. And I believe the initial core I posted above will be the core of this such team.

In summary, players that should be and could be moved or let go:

Mike Ribeiro
Richard Zednik
Sheldon Souray
Mathieu Dandenault
Mike Komisarek
Niklas Sundstrom
Aaron Downey
Alexander Perezhogin (for the right deal)

Players needing adjustments/attention:

Jan Bulis (retained only if cheap)
Chris Higgins (not on top 2 lines)
Mark Streit (retained only as 7th D)
Raitis Ivanans (retained as part-time goon)
Saku Koivu (must be re-signed as a UFA)

What we need to acquire:

Top pairing defenseman
Top 4 defenseman
Top 6 winger
Third line winger

That's quite the tall wish list, but if we find the right trade partners, with the assets I listed above and maybe a draft pick or two, we might be able to fill it out. And if not, there is always the hope of luring a free agent here.

But hey, that's just my 2 cents.

Edited for some spelling and grammar mistakes.

Last edited by Dan K: 02-03-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old
02-03-2006, 10:33 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

BRAVO ... BRAVO!!!!

Bravo, you and I agree on 90% of what you wrote. I would keep Bulis, if we can get him down to the third line, then I think someone we should keep.

Higgins is also going to be a great third line player.

Old
02-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Great detailed breakdown, Sakuuuuu. I agree with almost all of it. Where we diverge:

- I have no problem with leaving the Markov-Rivet pairing intact. It makes no difference if you call them the top-pairing or the "1A" pairing, whatever. I don't think you have to play your individual best with your individual second best on D, so whoever the "top-pairing" FA defenseman is that we need to add, he doesn't automatically have to play with Markov. In fact, I think it would be silly to play him with Markov, when we've already got an essentially perfect pairing in Markov-Rivet. (And on top of that, most of the top-pairing guys slated for free agency this year play LD, don't they?). Having a "1A" and "1B" pairing with the newcomers would be great IMO.

- I also recognize the need for us to give up some elements that actually have market value in any pursuit to improve our fortunes. Hence, while I too wouldn't mind keeping Bulis and Souray, and while I like Komisarek, and while I think Ribeiro should have some value that I shy away from sacrificing... I can understand listing them under potential departures. We have to keep Bonk as you say, but for the same reasons, I can't see how we'd ever manage to dump off Dandenault. Personally, I'd flip the coin on using Perezhogin or Kostitsyn as trade bait before I'd dangle Komisarek. But those are certainly elements we'd need to be willing to use if we want to get any attention around the league.
(EDIT: Did my above paragraph not come dangerously close to basically just keeping everything the same? Re-reads are kinda cool that way sometimes. )

Old
02-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Great detailed breakdown, Sakuuuuu. I agree with almost all of it. Where we diverge:

- I have no problem with leaving the Markov-Rivet pairing intact. It makes no difference if you call them the top-pairing or the "1A" pairing, whatever. I don't think you have to play your individual best with your individual second best on D, so whoever the "top-pairing" FA defenseman is that we need to add, he doesn't automatically have to play with Markov. In fact, I think it would be silly to play him with Markov, when we've already got an essentially perfect pairing in Markov-Rivet. (And on top of that, most of the top-pairing guys slated for free agency this year play LD, don't they?). Having a "1A" and "1B" pairing with the newcomers would be great IMO.

- I also recognize the need for us to give up some elements that actually have market value in any pursuit to improve our fortunes. Hence, while I too wouldn't mind keeping Bulis and Souray, and while I like Komisarek, and while I think Ribeiro should have some value that I shy away from sacrificing... I can understand listing them under potential departures. We have to keep Bonk as you say, but for the same reasons, I can't see how we'd ever manage to dump off Dandenault. Personally, I'd flip the coin on using Perezhogin or Kostitsyn as trade bait before I'd dangle Komisarek. But those are certainly elements we'd need to be willing to use if we want to get any attention around the league.
(EDIT: Did my above paragraph not come dangerously close to basically just keeping everything the same? Re-reads are kinda cool that way sometimes. )
I can definitely see the merrits of your points. I don't mind keeping Rivet and Markov together either, I just don't like having to play Rivet for 25 minutes a night. I'd rather bring in someone else to play that much, and give Rivet 20-ish at the most.

As I said in my post, dumping Dandenault would indeed be difficult, but I would actually consider buying him out. It's just unfortunate that his deal is 4-years long and would cost so much. I guess if we're stuck with him, having him as a 7th D - while being a major waste of money - is an OK option.

And it's not that I desperately want to trade Komisarek. I think he can still develop well. But right now, he's not good for us when we put him in the line-up, and things aren't good for him when we sit him in the stands, and that presents a problem.

Old
02-03-2006, 11:08 AM
klaudius

Being of the guys who honestly believes that this whole team is crap (save Markov), your post does make sense and is quite rational.

However, the main problem I see is that we still wont have size and grit on the 2 top offensive lines...Which is our major offensive weakness...is not addressed.

Having Koivu, Ryder, Kovalev, Kost../Perez.., and Plekanec as top forwards puts us in the same situation as in previous years...

It's time for the Habs to get a Forwards (especially a centerman) who are over 6 feet tall and hit as their top forwards...As long as we don't have these elements, we will always be mediocre..

Your defence assessment is just.

Since I wouldn't mind a Huet/Danis combo, if we find a taker for Theo, I say pull the trigger and get the missing pieces...

k

Old
02-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

I like the final line-up...the only thing is that I would keep Bulis and put him on the third line. Also, the defence is worst then this year...We could land a good defenceman or two with all the players you wanted to let go so it would be a decent line up!

Old
02-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
I can definitely see the merrits of your points. I don't mind keeping Rivet and Markov together either, I just don't like having to play Rivet for 25 minutes a night. I'd rather bring in someone else to play that much, and give Rivet 20-ish at the most.
I think that sorts itself out with PP time, basically. Rivet's 25-per-game goes down if he can get off the PP, and maybe that's the time you bring the New Guy in to share the PP time with Markov. But still keep the Markov-Rivet pairing for ES and SH icetime.

Old
02-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
Good work.

Personally, I think it all depends on what Koivu's decision will be.

If he wants to stay, then I guess you can try to retool, dealing pieces to try and improve the club for now and trying to win in 06-07, hoping we get Theodore back on track (or deal him for pieces to help the team win next year) and have more stability on our roster while continuing to add some youth to the team.

But if Koivu is ready to leave...then I am convinced we have to look at basically stripping it down completely and just go with the kids and deal with being a bad team for a year or two while they make their mistakes and get experience. Grab one of the many talented C's in the top 10 of this summer's draft and let the core of 18-24 year olds we have grow together in the NHL.

Old
02-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Habsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaudius
Being of the guys who honestly believes that this whole team is crap (save Markov), your post does make sense and is quite rational.

However, the main problem I see is that we still wont have size and grit on the 2 top offensive lines...Which is our major offensive weakness...is not addressed.

Having Koivu, Ryder, Kovalev, Kost../Perez.., and Plekanec as top forwards puts us in the same situation as in previous years...

It's time for the Habs to get a Forwards (especially a centerman) who are over 6 feet tall and hit as their top forwards...As long as we don't have these elements, we will always be mediocre..

Your defence assessment is just.

Since I wouldn't mind a Huet/Danis combo, if we find a taker for Theo, I say pull the trigger and get the missing pieces...

k

Agreed. We desperately need 2 gritty top 6 forwards or else "nothing much changes".

Also, we need a gritty player on the 3rd too. I believe Ferland could fit this bill.

I think people are over rating Pleks. He 'may' develope into a 2nd liner, but even if he does he's too small/not strong enough for 2nd line center. OR, if you accept Koivu as good enough for 2nd line center(as I do, bec he's fast enough to be small as a centerman)....at this stage in his carreer....I would argue that Pleks just isn't quick enough to excel there. We have too many small forwards; we'll have to give up some quality to receive the same. Trade him or use him on the 3rd line.

I don't think Huet will be good enough over the long haul as a no.1 so i believe we'll need a more proven starter.
BTW, i'd NEVER have said this before last week, but i'd be ready to trade Ryder IF the right deal were being offered. I'm thinking he just doesn't play w enough passion and commitment when we need him most.

Old
02-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsurd
Agreed. We desperately need 2 gritty top 6 forwards or else "nothing much changes".

Also, we need a gritty player on the 3rd too. I believe Ferland could fit this bill.

I think people are over rating Pleks. He 'may' develope into a 2nd liner, but even if he does he's too small/not strong enough for 2nd line center. OR, if you accept Koivu as good enough for 2nd line center(as I do, bec he's fast enough to be small as a centerman)....at this stage in his carreer....I would argue that Pleks just isn't quick enough to excel there. We have too many small forwards; we'll have to give up some quality to receive the same. Trade him or use him on the 3rd line.

I don't think Huet will be good enough over the long haul as a no.1 so i believe we'll need a more proven starter.
BTW, i'd NEVER have said this before last week, but i'd be ready to trade Ryder IF the right deal were being offered. I'm thinking he just doesn't play w enough passion and commitment when we need him most.
Actualy, I think Plekanec is doing a great job on the second line...he might never become a 1st line player but a decent second liner...

I think he's pretty fast, he's not afraid to go into the trafic and he's skilled enought to be a part of our team for a long time...IMO, he's another Koivu...

Old
02-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Gump_Wamsley

Hey Sakuuuuu....I don't agree with everything you said, but that isn't important.

What is important is this:

That was an amazing post, a post that obviously took time, thought and work. Thanks for sharing that.

Uhm...I still think you should keep Komisarek

Old
02-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Actualy, I think Plekanec is doing a great job on the second line...he might never become a 1st line player but a decent second liner...

I think he's pretty fast, he's not afraid to go into the trafic and he's skilled enought to be a part of our team for a long time...IMO, he's another Koivu...
I find the styles of Plekanec and Koivu very similar actually, and I've been drawing comparisons between them for quite some time, so glad someone else sees it too.

Koivu and Plekanec are not soft players, so even if they're small, I have no problem with 2 small centers on the top 2 lines. I do agree that the vacant slot in the top 6 should in my line-ups should be filled by a big body presence who is physical. But if we assume something like this:

XXX - Koivu - Kovalev
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Ryder

with XXX being a big, physical forward, I think that might work out. Kostitsyn plays reasonably big, and doesn't at all shy away from contact, so I think that would be fine. I don't think we need to add 2 gritty forwards to our top 6, one should be enough.

I do agree the third line player could stand to be someone physical, which is why I slotted Ferland in there, but I'd rather see us bring in some fresh blood and put Ferland on the fourth with Begin and Murray.

Old
02-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Habitants

WOW!

Great post, i could not agree more with you. very good summary and valid points. i just wish we were not stuck with Bonk, then plekanec could be 3rd line C and we could get a star second line C. this would give us 3 dangerous lines.
its like you read my mind... hopefully we can find some good players to fill those key rolls.

Old
02-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Matrix

Pretty good work by Sakuuuuuuu and good responses by all of you....(And some say what do we know we're just posters )

Anyway, I agree that it may be time to have some more energy and grit on the first 2 lines as well 'cause the moment a slump comes, you need those guys to shake things up a little and not only 4th liners who play 5 minutes a game.

As much as I think that the Kost-Saks-Kovy line looks tremendous when Kosty will be on top of his game, I think there's something else to do on that 2nd line and as much as I love Pleks, I think that the acquisitions we have to make need to be on this 2nd line.....

Flame me all you want but to receive some you have to give some and for me Ryder is a nice trade bait. We have to face the problem that on our 1st line we have Sniper Kovy who sometimes float and often for a whole 60 minutes. But we must know as well that it happens to Ryder as well. So on your first 2 lines you have 2 pure snipers but inconsistant as well. So when you need this extra jump to shake things up a little you won't have it. As far as Perez go he's another skilled player who could have a tendancy of sleeping during games once in a while as well. Perez is a nice project for any team willing to give him a try, would have a lot for him maybe not but in a package it could be interesting.

As far as Komi is concernend I'm really mixed between sticking with him or trading him while it's time. I believe he's still has some value but I don't see the progression, though he didn't get a lot of help in that departement.

The rest for me is top notch analysis by Sakuuuuuuuuu and by everyone else as well....

Old
02-03-2006, 09:07 PM
SimonSays

Thanks for the nice post and hard work Sakuuuu. I agree with most of your points, although I would not trade Komi, Markov was bad as well a couple years ago when he lost a member of his family, and look at him now. I think we need to give him another year, otherwise we might regret this for a long time. I don't think he has enough trade value right now versus his potentiel upside.

I like what I've seen of Coté so far, but it's too ealry to tell.

I would try to sign Bulis as well, he's a good 3rd liner.

Old
02-03-2006, 10:20 PM
MightyPleky*

Send a message via MSN to MightyPleky*
ivanans hes pretty

Old
02-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I disagree with his post. It's doing the same thing we did wrong this year. Bonk, Koivu, Plenacek down the middle....too small and no leadership from Koivu. Theodore is too inconsistent in net. Giving up on Komisarek to quick. Many problems with that post

Old
02-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
I disagree with his post. It's doing the same thing we did wrong this year. Bonk, Koivu, Plenacek down the middle....too small and no leadership from Koivu. Theodore is too inconsistent in net. Giving up on Komisarek to quick. Many problems with that post
Well if you read my post, I didn't say a lot of what you're saying I did.

First of all, it's only been a handful of games that we've had Koivu, Plekanec, and Bonk has our top 3 centers. We started out with Ribeiron on the second line, then Koivu was injured, then Plekanec was injured, and now Bonk has been a scratch.

Second of all, I am not defending Koivu's leadership ability in any way. I went as far as to suggest taking the C away from him if necessary. I just don't think it merrits letting him leave.

And your post is the kind of post that made me this. It's easy to say "Ummmmm.... It's a problem having Koivu/Plekanec/Bonk down the middle." It's not a choice. It's what we have to work with. I'd love to rid this team of Radek Bonk, but right now it's NOT POSSIBLE.

I agree Theodore is inconsistent in net, if you read my post and didn't just look at line-ups before "disagreeing" and pointing out "problems" with my post, I clearly don't hold Theodore in high regard, and suggest that I'm comfortable with a Huet/Danis tandem. But Theodore is not tradeable right now. As I said, if we can possibly get any missing puzzle pieces by moving Jose, do it! But I highly doubt that right now.

And I didn't suggest giving up on Komisarek either. I clearly said I think he can develop into a good defenseman. However, he's young, and having a bad year puts us in a tough position with him. If we sit him in the stands, it hurts his development. If we play him, it opens a weakness on our blueline. This is the only reason I think exploring trade opportunities is a good idea. We're in a catch-22 with Komi, and patience might not be an option. But still, I would only move him for the right offer.

I have no problem with people who disagree with my opinion. I have a problem with people who disagree without any basis for doing so. Many problems with that reply.

Old
02-03-2006, 11:49 PM
habs86

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Sakuuuuu wow that was most likely best post i have read on here in a very longtime. congrats on the hard work , the time and effort, it is nice to see there are still some true fans out there.

Old
02-04-2006, 12:21 AM
LastChancePrice

How many hours did it took you to write all this?

Old
02-04-2006, 06:20 AM
CGG

I know the defense needs help, but you only have one guy that shoots right. The Bouillon-Cote combo wouldn't work, they both shoot left. As a temporary pairing you might be alright, but not long term.

Komisarek's value to us is that much higher because he shoots right, and his name isn't Dandenault. I'd rather see Komisarek with Bouillon / Cote on the third pairing, with Bouillon and Cote alternating between there and #7.

Closed Thread