HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers Playoff Push

Old
02-07-2017, 05:06 PM
LastWordArmy

vCash: 450
The Rangers Playoff Push

There were a lot of questions and concerns surrounding the New York Rangers heading into the 2016-17 NHL season. How will the blue line hold up this year? Will newcomers such as Michael Grabner, Jimmy Vesey and Mika Zibanejad have an impact? And above all- will this team make the Stanley Cup Playoffs yet again? Through the Rangers first 52 games played this season, some of those questions have been answered. But the big one still remains: will and can a New York Rangers playoff spot be secured this season?

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/02/...-playoff-push/

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 05:14 PM
mandiblesofdoom

vCash: 500
Will make the playoffs.

Probably won't get far.

mandiblesofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 02:50 AM
Inferno

vCash: 857
Is he shocked if we win a round.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 02:57 AM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
If we finish as 4th seed in the Metro, we'll have a chance to make some noise.

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Savant

Pizza avatars.

Savant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 08:42 AM
eco's bones

The Rangers division has been unreal this year. I think a lot will depend on how good Henrik is in the playoffs. When he's on he can make our D look a lot better than it actually is. I'm not worried about the offense. Picking up another solid NHL defender at the deadline could help us a lot.

I don't exactly agree with the writer on Brady....Skjei's been a good addition and he has the ability with his skating sometimes to make up for the mistakes he makes but his defending and positioning aren't always that great either. Given time and experience he should get better. His career trajectory so far isn't all that unlike McDonagh's.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 09:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
So consistent offense, better defense and good goaltending? Just might be crazy enough to work. While they're at it, try to score more goals and allow fewer goals than the other team.

02-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

WC1 Spot and we're in the Eastern Conference Final at the least.

We finish above that well a very good team is going home in the first round out of the metro. Could just as easily be us

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 11:35 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

In the offseason I was arguing that there is a lot of upward potential for this team compared to last season but things worked out even better than expected.
I love watching this team, to me they are overcoming adversity in some way each game by playing without a bona fide partner for McD. They are above the Eastern swamp that is currently every team except for Caps, Pens, Jackets and Hans.
The trade deadline minimum for me is to convert Klein plus lesser pieces into immediate 1RD upgrade or someone who will be help not far down the road (like Honka). Maximum is to do both by also moving one of Zuke or Nash.

Old
02-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Rangers this year

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Is he shocked if we win a round.
I agree to an extent. I think our success this year in the PO's will strictly be determined by matchups. Years past I have felt confident going up against anyone. This year I feel like we have a good team but there are certain teams that will just wax us. Pittsburgh and Columbus being the two major threats. If somehow we avoided them I could see us advancing as far as the ECF or SCF (not likely but possible). If we play either of those two teams I don't know if we win a game, let alone 4. I will say this, we have absolutely slaughtered the entire West this year. If we somehow did make it to the SCF, the only team that scares me is Minnesota. I would kill to play against the Kings or Ducks in the playoffs this time around.

Old
02-08-2017, 11:43 AM
eco's bones

Once in--there's always the element of luck. Injuries, bounces, officiating decisions. Very arguably the Caps were the best team in the league last year but they didn't win. IMO we were the better team than the Kings in 2014. The Rangers did not get a lot of breaks in that series--the Kings did.

Old
02-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Rangers this year

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Once in--there's always the element of luck. Injuries, bounces, officiating decisions. Very arguably the Caps were the best team in the league last year but they didn't win. IMO we were the better team than the Kings in 2014. The Rangers did not get a lot of breaks in that series--the Kings did.
I absolutely agree. We should have been back in the SCF in the following season as well. We were the best team in the league bar none but we got killed with injuries in the PO's.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 2727
I think the teams that beat the Rangers in the playoffs have always had the better rosters. I am a bad fan

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 12:08 PM
NYROrtsFan

I like our chances this year.

Honestly I think it all comes down to the deadline. I really feel like we could be a team out in the first round if we don't make the right move, and I could easily see us in the Finals if we make the right move.

The defense is just missing one guy in my opinion. You add the right guy, and everything there becomes better. Just need to get really lucky adding the right guy and having some good natural chemistry with the players on this team.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Oscar Lindberg

Even if the team trades for a defenseman at the deadline, who is coming out for them to play?

Girardi would have to drop dead for him to come out
Holden has been solid
Klein has AV's trust, so the only way he doesn't play is if he is traded
and Skjei is one of the only guys that can skate and move the puck competently

I would love for one of the guys that are playing terrible to come out, but realistically it isn't happening

I see the team getting bounced in the first, and if they don't, for sure get bounced in the second. Scoring is tight in the playoffs, and defense has to play well. Right now i have zero confidence in the D

Oscar Lindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Savant

Rangers playoff destiny will depend on if Vigneault can make adjustments to beat the trap teams of the Atlantic. If they make it to ECF things can get interesting but I still think they are very far away from Pittsburgh. Washington or Columbus they can beat at that stage of the playoffs. If the Rangers have to go thru the Metro they are toast.

Old
02-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Hunter Gathers
GREGGT KEEPS NY SAFE

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So consistent offense, better defense and good goaltending? Just might be crazy enough to work. While they're at it, try to score more goals and allow fewer goals than the other team.
To paraphrase John Madden, the team that scores more points wins the games. That's all we need to do.

Hunter Gathers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Baby Punisher

I doubt we will be able to score 4 to 6 goals like we have been much of this season. Everything tightens up and all aspects of this team will be exposed including Lundqvist leaking like a sieve. Last year should have been the last hurrah for this group. Instead, we get one more year to try to finish what John Tortorella started. Best case scenario is a 2nd round exit.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Inferno

vCash: 857
Giving up 30 plus shots a night Of late....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2017, 06:01 AM
eco's bones

To be honest I wouldn't be looking around for Kevin Shattenkirk types that are going to cost us a young roster player or another first round draft pick. We could use a d-man who is reasonably effective moving the puck but can also take charge in the defensive end. Even if he's a rental. A good and dependable 3-4 D who could clear up some of our defensive issues. Shattenkirk, Barrie are not going to do that and they are going to cost a ton to acquire and are going to take up a nice chunk of cap space. Skjei and McDonagh can do much of the puck lugging. Holden and the new guy can help them out. Staal, Girardi and Klein can fight it out for the 5,6,7 spots.

Old
02-09-2017, 12:20 PM
True Blue

All depends. I am not overly optimistic. Teams will probably not allow for them to play pond hockey. They have not fared overly well in those situations.

And of course, there is Henke. Has he truly turned the corner? Because with the way this defense is playing, if he is not the best player on the ice each night, this team has no chance.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Blueshirt Special

So if they were using the old 1-8 seeding we'd be 4th, and now we're 7th?

Not so sure I like this new format so much anymore.

Also: we have the least loser points.

"I just close my eyes and shoot."
Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWordArmy View Post
There were a lot of questions and concerns surrounding the New York Rangers heading into the 2016-17 NHL season. How will the blue line hold up this year? Will newcomers such as Michael Grabner, Jimmy Vesey and Mika Zibanejad have an impact? And above all- will this team make the Stanley Cup Playoffs yet again? Through the Rangers first 52 games played this season, some of those questions have been answered. But the big one still remains: will – and can – a New York Rangers playoff spot be secured this season?

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/02/...-playoff-push/
How much of the Rangers do you watch or does your writer watch?

Skjei is the worst defender at defending of the regular defenders, and I'm starting to think he might defend worse than Clendening who's in the press box almost every game because he can't defend.

Of course, I realize he's a rookie and his defending should eventually improve, but this article misleads fans into thinking Skjei is some Provorov or Werenski type of rookie who's excellent at both ends of the rink.

Pavel Buchnevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Its alot more technical says the stats crowd. We need to win puck battles and score goals from the 'prime scoring areas' !

Seriously, this thread always comes up before the trade deadline, which will probably change at least some of the teams dynamics, can't comment until I know the roster going into April. It'd be nice to stay healthy the rest of the way too.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Buchnevich View Post
How much of the Rangers do you watch or does your writer watch?

Skjei is the worst defender at defending of the regular defenders, and I'm starting to think he might defend worse than Clendening who's in the press box almost every game because he can't defend.

Of course, I realize he's a rookie and his defending should eventually improve, but this article misleads fans into thinking Skjei is some Provorov or Werenski type of rookie who's excellent at both ends of the rink.
Skjei has his warts but he is still young and the Rangers need his ELC. Moving him creates an equivalent hole.