HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers Playoff Push

Old
02-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Maximus

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
To be honest I wouldn't be looking around for Kevin Shattenkirk types that are going to cost us a young roster player or another first round draft pick. We could use a d-man who is reasonably effective moving the puck but can also take charge in the defensive end. Even if he's a rental. A good and dependable 3-4 D who could clear up some of our defensive issues. Shattenkirk, Barrie are not going to do that and they are going to cost a ton to acquire and are going to take up a nice chunk of cap space. Skjei and McDonagh can do much of the puck lugging. Holden and the new guy can help them out. Staal, Girardi and Klein can fight it out for the 5,6,7 spots.
Not a huge fan of his but a Cody Franson would do the trick for now. He likely wouldn't cost alot and we could than wait till offseason to go out and get Shatty where we can than be loaded to bear for a run at a Cup.

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
So if they were using the old 1-8 seeding we'd be 4th, and now we're 7th?

Not so sure I like this new format so much anymore.

Also: we have the least loser points.
No we would be the 5th seed. If we had the old system which was the best and most fair system the 1st round playoff matches in the Eastern Conference according to my calculations as of tonight would be:

1-Washington vs 8-Boston
2-Montreal vs 7-Toronto
3-Pittsburgh vs 6-Ottawa
4-Columbus vs 5- Rangers

So hypothetically we play this out(my predictions of who would win) the 2nd round would look like

1-Washington vs 5-Rangers
2-Montreal vs 3-Pittsburgh

And than in my biased world it would be Rangers vs Penguins in the ECF

The difference in present system is we wouldn't have to play Pens, BJ's or Caps until ECF and that's what makes the present system flawed that the easier path to finals is if we don't do as well as we possibly could. And a team like the BJ's who would slip into the 4th seed, would than deal with Montreal and lets say an Ottawa to get the ECF.

Something needs to be done by the league to fix this flaw in the playoff set up.

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Skjei has his warts but he is still young and the Rangers need his ELC. Moving him creates an equivalent hole.
I said nothing about moving him.

I don't agree with their characterization of his defense or his role within the team this season.

Pavel Buchnevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Shootertooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
I think the teams that beat the Rangers in the playoffs have always had the better rosters. I am a bad fan
I agree with you. But, we really crapped the bed against Tampa getting shut out in both game 5 and 7 at home. We should have won.

This years team might do ok if we finish as 1st wild card. I'd rather play Montreal than Wash, Pitt., CBJ. If there is no move to bring in a quality d man or two at the deadline, we won't go far. It is just reality. The playoffs are won with good d and goaltending. I just don't see that happening for this team as it currently is put together. Poor D will expose Hank like it did against Pitt. last playoffs.

Shootertooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 11:25 AM
True Blue

The fact that the Rangers concede every inch of the boards does not bode well in the playoffs. They are going to have to be capable of winning those puck battles in the playoffs. The do not seem very willing to get their nose dirty.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 11:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The fact that the Rangers concede every inch of the boards does not bode well in the playoffs. They are going to have to be capable of winning those puck battles in the playoffs. The do not seem very willing to get their nose dirty.
I'd like to see them add a physical player to the fourth line. A Tanner Glass-like object.

02-14-2017, 05:53 PM
Calad
Section 422

So now that the Habs hired Julien we should avoid the new coach mojo and win the 2nd seed?

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 05:58 PM
Geoff Gorden
Buy Out Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Buchnevich View Post
How much of the Rangers do you watch or does your writer watch?

Skjei is the worst defender at defending of the regular defenders, and I'm starting to think he might defend worse than Clendening who's in the press box almost every game because he can't defend.

Of course, I realize he's a rookie and his defending should eventually improve, but this article misleads fans into thinking Skjei is some Provorov or Werenski type of rookie who's excellent at both ends of the rink.
Every time you say this, I wonder how much of the Rangers you watch.

Geoff Gorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Raspewtin
Fire Clowneault

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
You've said this for every other loss for literally 4 years and I still don't know what this means.

"It's going to be a zoo no matter what, Staalmania, Staals everywhre, omg Staal on Staal action, three brothers hockeying! Staal returning to Carolina omg what news! All the feels he is feel..." - Ail on Eric Staal's return to Carolina.
Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 08:47 PM
mandiblesofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'd like to see them add a physical player to the fourth line. A Tanner Glass-like object.
Hrivik was pretty good at gaining possession as a fourth liner. They won't play him, though.

If it were me I'd play Hrivik above Puempel or Pirri.

mandiblesofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 08:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiblesofdoom View Post
Hrivik was pretty good at gaining possession as a fourth liner. They won't play him, though.

If it were me I'd play Hrivik above Puempel or Pirri.
T the risk of being cliche, I want more grit.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote