HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

All Purpose PK Subban Discussion Thread

Old
05-15-2017, 11:45 PM
Tempfan99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Here is how I like to look at it- if the Preds ceased operations and there was an open draft of Preds players from the rest of the league, who would be the first defenseman taken from the Preds?

Would be very interesting to see what would happen, but I would not be surprised if Subban was the first taken.
Very safe to say subban would go first especialy in a new market where they have to sell the sport. Even those who dont like subban would agree subban would be picked first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh24 View Post
I for one said that Subban was our 3rd best defenseman, at that moment, few months (?) ago, but added that once he finds his game I'm fully expecting it to change and for the better. Now, I might go as far as to suggest that we have two d-pairings with top10 dman in both of them.

Homerism? Probably, but even if I'm wrong, it's not far.
The thing with having so much depth is that ull never see a d-man full potential because they are sharing ice time and sharing PP minutes. The same reason why malkin seem to shine brighter when crosby isnt playing because hes taking a bigger role. Imo a big part of why subban doesnt clearly look like preds first d-man is because coach never treated him like a first d-man but more like a guy that has to earn his spot. Its a good problem for a team to have tho.

They didnt have that problem in mtl and its a window that will close in nashville to. Thats why i beleive that when we'll look back we'll say 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 was our stanley cup window.

Need to win now!!

Tempfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 07:18 AM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

Subban is the top 4 dman on this team who is least shy about physical contact. Josi absolutely drives me bat**** with his softness and Eckholm is pre-playoffs Johansen frustrating that he doesn't mix it up more with that big frame of his. And Ellis. Well, you just have to worry about the little mans health if he tries too much of that stuff.

So knowing that, the narrative of Subban as just a showman doesn't come close to fitting what Nashville has experienced with him. He shuts down all stars, scores his share of goals, and isn't afraid to use his body to frustrate players.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 08:58 AM
TitansVolsPreds615

I think Ekholm has been a good physical presence so far against Anaheim. This is the most physical he has been the entire playoff run. You can tell he doesn't like these guys.

TitansVolsPreds615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 06:05 AM
LeafingTheWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansVolsPreds615 View Post
I think Ekholm has been a good physical presence so far against Anaheim. This is the most physical he has been the entire playoff run. You can tell he doesn't like these guys.
Ekholm has also showed his offensive moves quite a bit this series.

I for one think he's on par with Ryan Ellis, he just wasn't put in the position to 'step up' because we had Irwin as a capable LHD while Josi was gone but no capable RHD to replace Subban.

LeafingTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Is it me or does PK seem injured/playing through an injury? Lacks a little burst in his skating and not hitting as hard from what I've seen at times this series

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Is it me or does PK seem injured/playing through an injury? Lacks a little burst in his skating and not hitting as hard from what I've seen at times this series
He's played like that his entire tenure in Nashville.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 10:35 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Whatever he is doing I hope he just keeps on doing it- he has been an absolute beast in the playoffs.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:15 AM
TitansVolsPreds615

Another thought, Ekholm this series especially has been driving the net like he did when he used to be paired with Ellis. Could Subban just be adjusting to that by staying at home more? Could be due to injury too. Subban knows Ek is healthier and more effective at playing that role?

TitansVolsPreds615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 11:16 AM
RickP

Quote:
When his playoffs are over (hopefully in June), we'll probably hear more about his back injury. I think it's pretty clear he's hurt though, and other players know it's his back. You could see Getzlaf cross check him in the upper back a few times yesterday, although I guess he'll do that to everybody

But even though he's (probably) hurt, he still has his great hockey IQ, great passing abilities, great positioning so he can still be very effective.

And right now he looks much better than he has looked earlier in the season. The long rests he had between series was benefitial.

RickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:13 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Yes I think he's a little hurt.

I think he's only had about a month here this season where he felt 100%

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Pred303

Counting on PK tonight. Great players step up in huge games. Expect that out of PK tonight becaise honestly a win tonight would be probably the biggest win in franchise history. Jus a feeling it's PK's night to shine.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 05:25 PM
Tempfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
Counting on PK tonight. Great players step up in huge games. Expect that out of PK tonight becaise honestly a win tonight would be probably the biggest win in franchise history. Jus a feeling it's PK's night to shine.
Yeah me too but then again i feel that way for every game lol

Old
05-18-2017, 06:01 PM
tnvol

I'm glad he is a Pred. Wherever he rates in the mix on paper, he brings a lot to the team. It's nice to have such a badass stable of blueliners.

tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 05:25 AM
StarvinArvin38
Weber/Neal/Rinne

He did deflect the OT winner in tonight. Sucks that innocent plays can cost u a game

StarvinArvin38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Tempfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvinArvin38 View Post
He did deflect the OT winner in tonight. Sucks that innocent plays can cost u a game
As much as i like subban this mistake was avoidable especialy for a skilled player like him. He turned his stick toward the net wich is something ud do if you wanna score.

Its too bad cause i think he had a good game and his goal was a snipe

Old
05-19-2017, 09:35 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempfan99 View Post
As much as i like subban this mistake was avoidable especialy for a skilled player like him. He turned his stick toward the net wich is something ud do if you wanna score.

Ita too bad cause i think he had a good game and his goal was a snipe
It's such a quick heat of the moment play though. It sucks that it happened, but I'll never hold that kind of thing against any player. Your instinct is to just get in front of the shot any way you can...and sometimes that goes badly for you.

05-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Pred303

yeah the only thing i will say bad about this play is the poor lack of communication between subban and ekholm here that led to the fling toward the net to begin with. subban had the puck under control behind the net, but ringed it around the boards too hard for ekholm and out of his reach straight to the duck on the halfboard, when ekholm was open off the boards. either ekholm misread it or subban did.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Tempfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
yeah the only thing i will say bad about this play is the poor lack of communication between subban and ekholm here that led to the fling toward the net to begin with. subban had the puck under control behind the net, but ringed it around the boards too hard for ekholm and out of his reach straight to the duck on the halfboard, when ekholm was open off the boards. either ekholm misread it or subban did.
But he didnt have it under control tho. The check was coming. He did what he had to do. He could have ringed it softer or ekholm could have reached the board quicker thats just hockey. When i saw the replay i was disappointed cause the stick positionning should be an instinct for a player like him. Im not talking about deflecting the puck but do it with the stick pointed toward to net. If the tip of his stick was pointed on the right there wasnt a goal. These players can receive real hard passes, deflect slapshots etc, stick positioning is part of their game. For exemple if he was playing for the ducks his stick would be EXACTLY PUT THIS WAY. Dont get me wrong im the biggest subban and always want to see him at his best.

Still think he should always be on first PP wave. That pp goal wasnt luck.. he was patient, aim and a nipe goal.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Eye of Ra
Mr.Negativo

if nhlers are allowed in olympics and subban is not on the team it would be a huge scandal. he is so much better than pietroangelo.

Eye of Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 03:00 PM
KurtAngle

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Here is how I like to look at it- if the Preds ceased operations and there was an open draft of Preds players from the rest of the league, who would be the first defenseman taken from the Preds?

Would be very interesting to see what would happen, but I would not be surprised if Subban was the first taken.
Forsberg and Johansen before him.

I agree with potential and name value Subban would be first D man picked, but I'd use the money from one Subban and pick Ryan Ellis and Roman Josi.

KurtAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Tempfan99

Time to step your game up even more PK. Show them what ur made of

Old
05-21-2017, 05:47 AM
Tempfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of Ra View Post
if nhlers are allowed in olympics and subban is not on the team it would be a huge scandal. he is so much better than pietroangelo.
The excuse of him taking too much risk is no longer relevant as hes reminding people he can play solid defence. Also in the french media i can clearly see analysts having no other choice than saying good things about his game. Mike bossy for exemple.

Old
05-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Bouboumaster

How was he yesterday? I miss the game.

Bouboumaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 11:46 AM
klt2001

He shot the puck at the net on our PP which lead to our forwards getting it and Wilson potting one into the net. Over he played well.

klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 11:57 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouboumaster View Post
How was he yesterday? I miss the game.
He was once again fantastic, as was Ekholm. Both again led the team in ice time with each over 26 minutes. That pairing has been absolutely unbelievable.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote