HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Lindros

Old
02-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Leetch66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monument View Post
I'll never forget the hat trick against Atlanta, that was the birth of the FLY line. It was the Mark Smith concussion (I remember watching that game at my friend James' house) that derailed that season for Lindros. He might have challenged Iginla for the Art Ross had that happened.

He was easily the most physically dominant player I've ever seen in any sport in his prime. He could do everything the game asked of someone. He was a top scorer and playmaker. He had an absolute cannon of a shot. Was a tremendous playmaker. He was a nasty SOB when it came to the physical aspect of the game. He was also a feared fighter.

If the trade went through, the Rangers would have lost some significant pieces to Quebec, but they would have been able to build around the most physically dominant 1-2 punch in the history of the NHL and probably would have won multiple cups.
Flyers held there first training camp here on PEI with Lindros . We were able to spend some time with him....he was great to us off the ice and signed multiple items for us. My friend took him out lobster fishing along with other guys from the team. He was great as were the whole club . I remember chatting with him one morning after breakfast at the local resort and I could not stop thinking about how damn HUGE he was...I cringe when thinking about going in a corner with him on a puck chase....he indeed was a physical specimen .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 07:55 AM
ramdm5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
He really gave Joe Thornton a firm talking to. That was great. I thought Eric and Theo were past their primes but still very good players.
I watched the clip and firm talking seems to be somewhat of an understatement...

ramdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 08:41 AM
alkurtz

Although his size would not be considered all that unusual today, it was back then.

It is hard for anyone who wasn't alive to see it how physically dominating the Legion of Doom (Lindros, Leclair, Renberg) was in Philadelphia. And it was Lindros more than anyone who was at the heart of it.

All of a sudden, teams felt the need to get bigger. Teams stopped drafting smaller, skilled players in favor of guys with size, even though they may have had less skill.

And the thing about Eric was that he was not only big and used his size, he was incredibly skilled.

As a Ranger fan, I couldn't stand him (although I had a grudging admiration for him), but he won me over in the brief time he was here even though we only saw the real Lindros for a few months.

Certain players have an impact beyond their sheer skill and ability. They impact the entire league and how the game was played: Lindros was such a player.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 10:19 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramdm5 View Post
I watched the clip and firm talking seems to be somewhat of an understatement...
It was very firm....just the way I like them to be lol

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Eye of Ra
Mr.Negativo

In his second season he had 53 points in 82 games. The third season he had 32 points in 39 games. Not that bad.

Eye of Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 10:37 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of Ra View Post
In his second season he had 53 points in 82 games. The third season he had 32 points in 39 games. Not that bad.
It was not nearly as bad as some make out in my opinion. When Lindros played he was usually our best forward in those years.

Old
02-10-2017, 05:26 PM
BroadwayStorm

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayStorm
He was ok. But nowhere near the player he once was. His physical game was completely gone and he was scared of getting hit. Every now and then he would flash but to be honest he didnt have a lot of help. He was on the FLY line with Mike York and Theo Fleury and they were ok for a while and he was also good with Pavel Bure who for 15 games or so completely lit up the net. I think Bure is the one mercenary where you absolutely got your moneys worth when he was on the ice. What a player. But he blew his already bad knee soon after and that was that. Lindros tried but you can tell he hated being here like most Rangers of that era. But at least he didn't just come to take the pay check.

BroadwayStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 07:05 PM
anofsti

Eric Lindros, and how is career ended way to early, is the main reason I'm happy fighting and head hits are on their way out. He was my favorite player when I was a kid and it's sad how his career ended - and how he probably ended a lot of other players careers too.

anofsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 07:17 PM
mattyd99

Being a young kid when Lindros broke into the league, I think he was the most dominant force I've ever seen on the ice. He was a wrecking ball out there, he'd run you over, score a goal, and then beat you up. Sucked he was a Flyer but he was something else to watch.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 07:22 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
Being a young kid when Lindros broke into the league, I think he was the most dominant force I've ever seen on the ice. He was a wrecking ball out there, he'd run you over, score a goal, and then beat you up. Sucked he was a Flyer but he was something else to watch.
I still remember when he easily out muscled Messier for a key loose puck in a playoff game. That told me a lot.

Old
02-10-2017, 09:18 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

That 01-02 season was such a waste. This team was nowhere near competing for a playoff spot, much less the Cup. Sather traded valuable assets that could have been used to get younger, getting Bure at the end of his career was awful, although we did trade Mike York(neil smith 6th rounder)and a 4th round pick for a young Tom Poti, he was something special huh?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 09:30 PM
NickyFotiu

I loved every game Bure played for us. Our pick turned out to be nothing.

For as much hate as Poti gets from Ranger fans I think it can easily be argued that he had a better career than York did after that trade.

Old
02-11-2017, 03:53 AM
NYR1967

Personally I always hated the guy. Not talking about talent, I just think he's a grade A d-bag and I kept my promise to myself that I would never pay for a ticket to see the Rangers while he was on the team. I didn't miss much, so no regrets.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 08:16 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
Personally I always hated the guy. Not talking about talent, I just think he's a grade A d-bag and I kept my promise to myself that I would never pay for a ticket to see the Rangers while he was on the team. I didn't miss much, so no regrets.
If you are referring to what he did when drafted, and you have paid for tickets in the last 3 years, it's somewhat hypocritical when we have benefitted from both Hayes and Vesey doing the same thing.

Lindros didn't have the ability to or the luxury of taking the same route as the other two mentioned so he did what he had to do.

It's not like Quebec didn't know before the draft. They could have and SHOULD have traded the pick before the draft. Not the day of.

They did as much to tarnish Lindros image as he did and then made it all that much more bizarre by trading him to two teams within 20 minutes of each other.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Blueshirt Special

In today's game Messier, Stevens and Lindros would be suspended half the time.

"I just close my eyes and shoot."
Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 12:07 PM
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
If you are referring to what he did when drafted, and you have paid for tickets in the last 3 years, it's somewhat hypocritical when we have benefitted from both Hayes and Vesey doing the same thing.

Lindros didn't have the ability to or the luxury of taking the same route as the other two mentioned so he did what he had to do.

It's not like Quebec didn't know before the draft. They could have and SHOULD have traded the pick before the draft. Not the day of.

They did as much to tarnish Lindros image as he did and then made it all that much more bizarre by trading him to two teams within 20 minutes of each other.
It's partially the draft that I was referring to, but I also felt that when he played against us (I only watched the Flyers when they played us in those days, so it's my only point of reference), that any after the whistle stuff he pulled or monster hits he laid out were never against someone who could give him a run for his money (ie: Mess/Graves), but always against someone who was way smaller/weaker (ie: Nedved/Kovy). Now I'm willing to admit that may be selective memory on my part since I was fairly young when he was on the Flyers.

As for the draft, aside from Hayes and Vesey doing something they were completely entitled to do and Lindros doing something he really wasn't entitled to do, I think there's a big difference between Hayes wanting to move to a team that can give him playing time and Lindros refusing to play for the team that drafted him because "I'm Eric ******* Lindros." To me it's a Reggie Jackson type arrogance thing that sours me on him.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 12:13 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
It's partially the draft that I was referring to, but I also felt that when he played against us (I only watched the Flyers when they played us in those days, so it's my only point of reference), that any after the whistle stuff he pulled or monster hits he laid out were never against someone who could give him a run for his money (ie: Mess/Graves), but always against someone who was way smaller/weaker (ie: Nedved/Kovy). Now I'm willing to admit that may be selective memory on my part since I was fairly young when he was on the Flyers.

As for the draft, aside from Hayes and Vesey doing something they were completely entitled to do and Lindros doing something he really wasn't entitled to do, I think there's a big difference between Hayes wanting to move to a team that can give him playing time and Lindros refusing to play for the team that drafted him because "I'm Eric ******* Lindros." To me it's a Reggie Jackson type arrogance thing that sours me on him.
I understand and agree with you regarding the draft stuff. Eli Manning pulled the same thing.

With that said Lindros was 18 years old listening to his dad. Years later he was caught between his dad and Bobby Clarke. Clarke could be a vicious guy. I only judge Eric by how he acted as a Ranger. He seemed to be a good guy once he joined our team.

Old
02-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
He was leading us in that 01-02 season where we were first in the league at Thanksgiving, then we went fell apart.

Hire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hire Sather View Post
He was leading us in that 01-02 season where we were first in the league at Thanksgiving, then we went fell apart.
That was a fun and surprising first half. Weren't the Islanders up there too, I remember SportsCenter talking up the possibility of an all-NY conference final. Both teams totally collapsed.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 12:42 PM
FLYLine27
BUCH

FLY Line

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 01:26 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
That was a fun and surprising first half. Weren't the Islanders up there too, I remember SportsCenter talking up the possibility of an all-NY conference final. Both teams totally collapsed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEpjjI63A40

Last edited by NickyFotiu: 02-11-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old
02-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I loved every game Bure played for us. Our pick turned out to be nothing.

For as much hate as Poti gets from Ranger fans I think it can easily be argued that he had a better career than York did after that trade.
Who's to say we would not have used that pick to acquire a young player, or kept the pick and drafted someone else besides the player that Florida took at #9.

And whether Poti outplayed York after the fact is inconsequential, we traded a player who had a good value at the time for a defensman that couldn't play defense, and his offense was overrated.

Wasted assets, team should've been rebuilding then, imagine if we had more young talent once Lundqvist got to town?

The main problem started all before that, Sather was hired, that guy is not a builder, just like when the Knicks hired Jackson, these guys don't know how to build, if anything, they are great finishers.

Old
02-11-2017, 06:14 PM
NickyFotiu

Poti probably had better value than York at the time of that trade.

Id take 50 games of Bure over a chance at most of the picks from 9 to 30 minus Semin and Steen. Bure was a lot of fun to watch.

Old
02-11-2017, 06:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Poti probably had better value than York at the time of that trade.

Id take 50 games of Bure over a chance at most of the picks from 9 to 30 minus Semin and Steen. Bure was a lot of fun to watch.

Poti had 17 points in 50 plus games the season before, while York was on his way to 60 plus season as a 24 yr old. Oilers had a hard time trying to deal Poti cause they were looking for a first round pick, they settled on Mike York.

50 games of Bure meant nothing to a team with no chance at anything those years. And yes, Steen and Semin were two guys who couldve been drafted by us if we kept the pick.

Bure's great end to that season put us at the 9th draft spot, but before he was dealt here we were looking at a top 5 pick, which would've carried alot of value either way you slice it.

Old
02-11-2017, 07:08 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Poti had 17 points in 50 plus games the season before, while York was on his way to 60 plus season as a 24 yr old. Oilers had a hard time trying to deal Poti cause they were looking for a first round pick, they settled on Mike York.

50 games of Bure meant nothing to a team with no chance at anything those years. And yes, Steen and Semin were two guys who couldve been drafted by us if we kept the pick.

Bure's great end to that season put us at the 9th draft spot, but before he was dealt here we were looking at a top 5 pick, which would've carried alot of value either way you slice it.
Poti was a young big dman who was on the all rookie team and could skate like the wind. He had just as much if not more value than York at that time and that is reflected in that trade. He also went on to have better years than York after the trade.

2 players (Semin/Steen) out of 21 picks is not great odds. My regret with the Bure trade is that Bure got hurt again not that we traded a pick that turned in to a nobody for him. When Bure played he was as exciting to watch as any Ranger player ever.