Notices

Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch passes at 87

Old
02-10-2017, 05:47 PM
22Brad Park

vCash: 500
Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch passes at 87

http://detroitsportsnation.com/gener...-age-87/90592/

HOCKEY WORLD LOST A GREAT OWNER TODAY..RIP MIKE.

Last edited by Fenway: 02-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.
22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 6000000
http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...rbes/91475642/

Quote:
Mike Ilitch rose from a humble west-side neighborhood to assemble a food, sports and entertainment empire that enabled him to return the Stanley Cup to Hockeytown, build both a new arena and a ballpark with a Ferris wheel, restore the grandeur of downtown’s iconic Fox Theatre and introduce metro Detroit to the concepts of “pizza-pizza” and an $8 cup of beer.

From his first Little Caesars outlet in Garden City strip mall in 1959 — where a pizza cost $2.39 — Ilitch, aided at every step by Marian, his wife of 61 years, became a major metro Detroit personality and a key figure in the revival of downtown Detroit. In addition to founding the Little Caesars pizza chain, he owned the Red Wings, Tigers and the Fox Theatre, and operated city-owned Joe Louis, Cobo, and Little Caesars arenas, among other smaller businesses, teams and restaurants.

Mike Ilitch, one of the most famous Detroiters of his time, died today at the age of 87, according his company, Ilitch Holdings Inc. His family will honor him at a private funeral service.

“My father was a once-in-a-generation entrepreneur, visionary and leader, setting the tone for our organization and our family,” said Christopher Ilitch, President and CEO of Ilitch Holdings, Inc., in a statement released by the company.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Terrier

It's too bad he didn't live to see the opening of the new arena. A deserved Hall of Famer as a builder.

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
It's too bad he didn't live to see the opening of the new arena. A deserved Hall of Famer as a builder.
Quote:
Just seconds after winning his first Stanley Cup, Mike Ilitch made it a point on Canadian TV to send condolences to Don Cherry on the passing of his beloved wife Rose.

That moment tells me he was a decent man.

Old
02-10-2017, 07:24 PM
GordonHowe

I am originally from the Detroit area, and grew up at the old Olympia in the Deadwing era of the '70s.

Mike Illich did many, many great things for the city of Detroit, not least the Red Wings.

A totally class individual.

He will be greatly missed,

GH

Last edited by Fenway: 02-10-2017 at 09:38 PM.
GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
I live in a small town in Canada...20 minutes from Detroit and Mr.Ilitch is a huge part of Detroit. Probably one of the best owners of a sports franchise. Did a lot for the area. Huuuge loss. Much respect. Very sad to hear he passed away.

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 08:37 AM
badbrewin

Was saddened to hear of his passing. He was a model owner who never meddled on the front lines, had the perfect balance of passion for his team, strong business acumen and genuine care for the community.

There are a few other owners out there that should have followed his example.

badbrewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Number8
Jacobs Must Go

RIP M Ilitch

I know people don't typically speak ill of the dead, but reading the Main Board and the Wings Board the universal respect for him is overwhelming.

Isn't amazing that back in the days prior to the Cap one of the very few times Bruins made a big splash in the FA market was when we signed M Lapointe to what was immediately seen as a ridiculously overpriced at least in part so Jacobs could stick it to Mike Ilitch -- a guy Jacobs reportedly disliked immensely?

How ironic.

Mr. Jacobs, I'd suggest you consider this your ghost of Christmas present and future opportunity.

Read how fans are reacting (Detroit and league wide) to the death of one of the guys in ownership you reportedly disliked so much. Then take a moment and HONESTLY assess how your fans will respond to the day when you pass -- we all go sometime, you know.

No one will slag you off because -- again few speak ill of dead -- but they ain't gonna be singing the kinds of praises being heaped on Mike Ilitch. I think you know that.

It's not too late, you know.........

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 09:01 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Great owner. Rip

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 09:44 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

May he rest in peace.

BMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 04:40 PM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
RIP M Ilitch

I know people don't typically speak ill of the dead, but reading the Main Board and the Wings Board the universal respect for him is overwhelming.

Isn't amazing that back in the days prior to the Cap one of the very few times Bruins made a big splash in the FA market was when we signed M Lapointe to what was immediately seen as a ridiculously overpriced at least in part so Jacobs could stick it to Mike Ilitch -- a guy Jacobs reportedly disliked immensely?

How ironic.

Mr. Jacobs, I'd suggest you consider this your ghost of Christmas present and future opportunity.

Read how fans are reacting (Detroit and league wide) to the death of one of the guys in ownership you reportedly disliked so much. Then take a moment and HONESTLY assess how your fans will respond to the day when you pass -- we all go sometime, you know.

No one will slag you off because -- again few speak ill of dead -- but they ain't gonna be singing the kinds of praises being heaped on Mike Ilitch. I think you know that.

Nailed it!!!! Great post.....

eightspokedb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 05:18 PM
ODAAT

Terrific owner who did a ton for the city of Detroit and the beloved hockey team in that town. I recall him taking over a team that was horrific and he too had some teams that were weak to begin with but man o man, did he change that around, or at least, give the autonomy to those with experience to do so

IMO, the best drafting hockey organization I`ve ever witnessed

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 05:27 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
RIP M Ilitch

How ironic.

Saw tons of posts from NHL teams and other sports teams.None from Bruins.Very sad our ownership is sooooo pukey .

Old
02-11-2017, 06:17 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
Saw tons of posts from NHL teams and other sports teams.None from Bruins.Very sad our ownership is sooooo pukey .
see the NHL thread here, JJ did release a statement prior to the Canucks game today. Interesting to see how Columbus fans reacted since the Wings played there today, an hour or so after ours ended.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
see the NHL thread here, JJ did release a statement prior to the Canucks game today.
Boston Bruins Owner Jeremy Jacobs issued the following statement regarding the passing of Mike Ilitch:

"Mike Ilitch was first and foremost a great personal friend. He was also a tremendous partner in the NHL, and someone who always put the interests of the league before his own. His legacy in hockey will be defined by the indelible mark that he has left on the NHL, as well as the immense impact that he has had on growing the sport in Michigan and throughout the United States.

The Red Wings and Tigers are so much a part of the history and identity of Detroit, and both teams have thrived under his careful stewardship. He led a great physical transformation of his beloved home city that will endure for many years. But perhaps most importantly, he shared his passion for sports and talent for business with his children, who will carry on his legacy.

We will miss him, and we extend our condolences to his wife Marian, the entire Ilitch family, the Red Wings and Tigers organizations, and the city of Detroit."

Old
02-11-2017, 06:24 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Boston Bruins Owner Jeremy Jacobs issued the following statement regarding the passing of Mike Ilitch:

"Mike Ilitch was first and foremost a great personal friend. He was also a tremendous partner in the NHL, and someone who always put the interests of the league before his own. His legacy in hockey will be defined by the indelible mark that he has left on the NHL, as well as the immense impact that he has had on growing the sport in Michigan and throughout the United States.

The Red Wings and Tigers are so much a part of the history and identity of Detroit, and both teams have thrived under his careful stewardship. He led a great physical transformation of his beloved home city that will endure for many years. But perhaps most importantly, he shared his passion for sports and talent for business with his children, who will carry on his legacy.

We will miss him, and we extend our condolences to his wife Marian, the entire Ilitch family, the Red Wings and Tigers organizations, and the city of Detroit."

Well yayyyyyyyy Good for him.

Old
02-15-2017, 04:40 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...35983058-story

Quote:
For the last decade of her life, a Civil Rights icon from Detroit had her rent paid for years by Mike Ilitch.

The story of Mike Ilitch paying the rent for Rosa Parks was written in 2014 by Sports Business Daily. According to that article, Mr. I paid the rent for Parks' apartment for the last eleven years of her life.

It all started 20 years earlier, on August 31, 1994. Parks, 81 at the time, was robbed and assaulted at her home in Detroit. Judge Damon Keith told the website the story that when he found out about her assault, he called the owner of the Riverfront Apartment, Alfred Taubman. In turn, Taubman promised to find the best home possible.

At that point, the story was picked up by journalists. When one of those newspapers landed at Mr. Ilitch's desk, he called the judge and said he would pay for Parks' housing for as long as necessary.

Old
02-15-2017, 06:30 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
That is pretty impressive.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote