HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2016-17 Part III

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2017, 06:29 PM
  #1
Romang67
Moderator
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Country: Sweden
Posts: 21,251
vCash: 500
Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2016-17 Part III

Old thread over the limit.

Table by Mortimer Snerd:

Updated as of Feb. 4

PosNameDOBHtWtTeamLgGPGAPPIMDraft
LWC.J. Franklin94/3/175'11190MankatoWCHA30111526322014 #129
LWErik Foley97/6/306'0185ProvidenceH-East25101323202015 #78
DJack Glover96/5/176'3185MinnesotaBig101002242014 #69
DJacob Cederholm98/1/306'3181IK PanternAllsvenskan26156122016 #97
CJansen Harkins97/5/236'1187Prince GeorgeWHL49163854322015 #47
CJordan Stallard97/9/186'2188Prince AlbertWHL40142337192016 #127
DLogan Stanley98/5/266'7220WindsorOHL3541317622016 #18
DLuke Green98/1/126'0189Saint JohnQMJHL4332528462016 #79
CMason Appleton96/1/156'2193Michigan StateBig102491120272015 #168
LWMatt Ustaski94/5/276'6220WisconsinBig101521362014 #192
CMatteo Gennaro97/3/306'3191CalgaryWHL49332861452015 #203
CMichael Spacek97/4/95'11185Red DeerWHL43234164322015 #108
CPavel Kraskovsky96/9/116'4196LokomotivKHL568917182015 #164
DSami Niku96/10/106'0168JYPLiiga4641519222015 #198
DTucker Poolman93/6/86'3210North DakotaNCHC2851722102013 #127

Moose

PosNameDOBHtWtGPGAPPIMDraftNHL
CAndrew Copp94/7/86'1206805542013 #10442; 8-5-13; 8
LWBrendan Lemieux96/3/156'1210438513862014 #31 (BUF) 
DBrenden Kichton92/6/186'01903401111362013 #190 
CChase De Leo95/10/255'101853891322122014 #99 
CJack Roslovic97/1/296'1182369162562015 #25 
DJan Kostalek95/2/176'119635224142013 #114 
RWJC Lipon93/7/106'0190455914752013 #91 
RWJimmy Lodge95/3/56'1175417815262013 #84 
LWMarko Dano94/11/305'11183602242013 #27 (CBJ)28; 3-7-10; 8
DNelson Nogier96/5/276'320940189222014 #101 
CNic Petan95/3/225'9179941542013 #4334; 1-11-12; 12
LWQuinton Howden92/1/216'2189411192062010 #25 (FLA)5; 0-0-0; 0
CRyan Olsen94/3/256'219432404262012 #160 
RWScott Kosmachuk94/1/246'0192306915252012 #70 
LWKyle Connor96/12/96'117724871562015 #17 

Goalies

PosNameDOBHtWtTeamLgGPsv%GAARecDraftOther Team
GEric Comrie95/7/66'1180ManitobaAHL270.9122.7410-14-02013 #59 
GJamie Phillips93/3/246'3175TulsaECHL310.9132.6319-10-02012 #1900-1 - .895
GMikhail Berdin98/3/16'2163Sioux FallsUSHL190.9232.7810-6-12016 #157 

Carry on.

__________________
Team Dunderhead
Winner of the inaugural Romang Award 2014
Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 10:19 PM
  #2
Kyosama
Registered User
 
Kyosama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Matt Ustaski scored a goal tonight.
As did Appleton.

Kyosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 10:46 PM
  #3
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,631
vCash: 500
Matt who?

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2017, 12:32 AM
  #4
ruffus23
Registered User
 
ruffus23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,242
vCash: 500
Looks like a new number 1 prospect this draft. Yeah Patrick

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2017, 10:43 AM
  #5
KillEmAll83
Registered User
 
KillEmAll83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,892
vCash: 50

__________________

These violent delights... have violent ends
KillEmAll83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 05:29 PM
  #6
Jets4Life
Registered User
 
Jets4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hellebuyck County
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,761
vCash: 500
Did Jack Glover quit hockey?

Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 05:33 PM
  #7
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Did Jack Glover quit hockey?
He played 2 days ago.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 05:35 PM
  #8
Jets4Life
Registered User
 
Jets4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hellebuyck County
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,761
vCash: 500
I've heard Matteo Gennaro (cousin of Fernando Pisani), has really come into his own this season in the WHL. Considering he was a 7th round draft pick, he was a steal for the Jets.

Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 05:52 PM
  #9
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 25,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I've heard Matteo Gennaro (cousin of Fernando Pisani), has really come into his own this season in the WHL. Considering he was a 7th round draft pick, he was a steal for the Jets.
He's had a good season, but I think he's a huge long-shot to ever make the NHL. But I suppose good for a 7th rounder.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 06:29 PM
  #10
denominator
Registered User
 
denominator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Gennaro should be back with the Hitmen next year as an overager. He plays a game that has a longer timeline to the NHL (if he gets there) and the extra year of dominating junior would be better for his development than a young year in the AHL.

denominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 12:58 AM
  #11
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denominator View Post
Gennaro should be back with the Hitmen next year as an overager. He plays a game that has a longer timeline to the NHL (if he gets there) and the extra year of dominating junior would be better for his development than a young year in the AHL.
What do you base this on? Generally speaking an OA season means goodbye to noteworthy prospect status.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 01:54 AM
  #12
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17
Registered User
 
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 366
Jansen Harkins was 2nd star of his game tonight. He had a goal and an assist in their 4 -3 loss to Spokane.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 03:12 AM
  #13
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,332
vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
What do you base this on? Generally speaking an OA season means goodbye to noteworthy prospect status.
Exactly. If he's good enough, then you sign him to his ELC and toss him on your AHL squad to let him develop against pros. Letting him pad his stats in junior against inferior competition isn't going to do him any favours.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 08:10 AM
  #14
yoteshot
Lazy Habs fan
 
yoteshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gatineau / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
What are your thoughts on Sami Niku? Read on the prospect board that a Jets fan considered him the team's 5th best prospect.

What is the timeline on him and what's his upside?

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 10:00 AM
  #15
csk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteshot View Post
What are your thoughts on Sami Niku? Read on the prospect board that a Jets fan considered him the team's 5th best prospect.

What is the timeline on him and what's his upside?
He's been very successful in Finland, and their's been some rumours that the Jets want to bring him over to North America next season. He's a good puck moving LD that has some potential to be a top 4 guy, though he's still kindof a long shot. Still a couple of years away at best.

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 11:12 AM
  #16
Deif
Registered User
 
Deif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
What do you base this on? Generally speaking an OA season means goodbye to noteworthy prospect status.
He means since Gennaro has been slower to develop/breakout he would be better suited playing one more year of junior as a top end player than playing on the 4th line in the AHL in the Jiri Fronk role. I would agree. I don't like the stigma that going back for your overage season is a hit to your prospect status (look at Adam Brooks) but I can understand why some see it that way (if you are a good enough prospect the team should want you in the AHL when you are eligible). It's not like Gennaro is a big time prospect either.. he was an after thought until his big 2nd half this year.

Deif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 11:26 AM
  #17
Kyosama
Registered User
 
Kyosama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Moose might actually look decent next year with a Niku-Poolman top pairing.

Kyosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 11:29 AM
  #18
Mortimer Snerd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,703
vCash: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
He means since Gennaro has been slower to develop/breakout he would be better suited playing one more year of junior as a top end player than playing on the 4th line in the AHL in the Jiri Fronk role. I would agree. I don't like the stigma that going back for your overage season is a hit to your prospect status (look at Adam Brooks) but I can understand why some see it that way (if you are a good enough prospect the team should want you in the AHL when you are eligible). It's not like Gennaro is a big time prospect either.. he was an after thought until his big 2nd half this year.
It isn't about Stigma. It is simply that players with NHL potential very rarely play their overage year in jr. The AHL is a development league. That's what we have a team there for, to develop players like Gennaro. He isn't likely to play 4th line for the Moose. If he does then he likely doesn't have NHL potential. Another year of junior would be a complete waste. Better to send him to the ECHL if needed to get him TOI.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 11:35 AM
  #19
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 23,810
vCash: 300
The Jets need to sign Gennaro to an ELC by June 1 or he'll go back in the draft. I can't see the Jets actually signing him and not taking full control of his development. If they sign him he'll play with the Moose.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 11:52 AM
  #20
Deif
Registered User
 
Deif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 766
Another year of junior would not be a complete waste. Gennaro is a non elite prospect that doesn't have a lengthy history of dominating junior.

I think he gets signed and starts his pro career next year like Aavco said.

Deif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 12:08 PM
  #21
Evil Little
Registered User
 
Evil Little's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,973
vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteshot View Post
What are your thoughts on Sami Niku? Read on the prospect board that a Jets fan considered him the team's 5th best prospect.

What is the timeline on him and what's his upside?
Recently, a bunch of us ranked the Jets' prospects and Niku was all over the place. Usually in the 5 to 10 range.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...#post127967507

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 12:13 PM
  #22
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 25,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Little View Post
Recently, a bunch of us ranked the Jets' prospects and Niku was all over the place. Usually in the 5 to 10 range.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...#post127967507
I think some of that is related to the fact that Niku doesn't have top-end skating, and is a bit undersized so he'll need to have high end technique to be a good NHL D.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 01:06 PM
  #23
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 6,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
He means since Gennaro has been slower to develop/breakout he would be better suited playing one more year of junior as a top end player than playing on the 4th line in the AHL in the Jiri Fronk role. I would agree. I don't like the stigma that going back for your overage season is a hit to your prospect status (look at Adam Brooks) but I can understand why some see it that way (if you are a good enough prospect the team should want you in the AHL when you are eligible). It's not like Gennaro is a big time prospect either.. he was an after thought until his big 2nd half this year.
It's a bit o. Your prospect status because 99% of guys that do it don't pan out.

So either it is best for him and means he's a completely noteless prospect (because he's not good enough to make the AHL at his age), he's the 1%, or he is a legit prospect and it's not a good idea.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 01:11 PM
  #24
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 6,174
vCash: 500
Saying playing an overage year would be good for him due to his development curve is exactly the same as saying his development curve will never cross the NHL player threshold.

At that point, why bother signing him?

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 02:52 PM
  #25
denominator
Registered User
 
denominator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
What do you base this on? Generally speaking an OA season means goodbye to noteworthy prospect status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
Exactly. If he's good enough, then you sign him to his ELC and toss him on your AHL squad to let him develop against pros. Letting him pad his stats in junior against inferior competition isn't going to do him any favours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
He means since Gennaro has been slower to develop/breakout he would be better suited playing one more year of junior as a top end player than playing on the 4th line in the AHL in the Jiri Fronk role. I would agree. I don't like the stigma that going back for your overage season is a hit to your prospect status (look at Adam Brooks) but I can understand why some see it that way (if you are a good enough prospect the team should want you in the AHL when you are eligible). It's not like Gennaro is a big time prospect either.. he was an after thought until his big 2nd half this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
It isn't about Stigma. It is simply that players with NHL potential very rarely play their overage year in jr. The AHL is a development league. That's what we have a team there for, to develop players like Gennaro. He isn't likely to play 4th line for the Moose. If he does then he likely doesn't have NHL potential. Another year of junior would be a complete waste. Better to send him to the ECHL if needed to get him TOI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
Another year of junior would not be a complete waste. Gennaro is a non elite prospect that doesn't have a lengthy history of dominating junior.

I think he gets signed and starts his pro career next year like Aavco said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
It's a bit o. Your prospect status because 99% of guys that do it don't pan out.

So either it is best for him and means he's a completely noteless prospect (because he's not good enough to make the AHL at his age), he's the 1%, or he is a legit prospect and it's not a good idea.

Saying playing an overage year would be good for him due to his development curve is exactly the same as saying his development curve will never cross the NHL player threshold.

At that point, why bother signing him?
Generally speaking, I actually agree with all of this. Most prospects have little or nothing to gain from an overage season, and it signals the end of their path to the NHL.

However, there are exceptions (look at Adam Lowry - he played an OA season in 12-13 and has since moved into the NHL), or as was noted, Adam Brooks. Conversely, I think Jake Virtanen's career was significantly impacted by moving him up too early, and have long been a proponent of him playing an OA year, to say nothing of the fact that he should have played as a 19.

I agree that Gennaro is a very long shot to make the NHL at this point, but it doesn't cost the Jets much to take that shot - other than chewing up a contract spot when you have many better prospects. Plunking him in the AHL next year doesn't do much for his development and you run a high chance of a dud prospect in the ECHL. Dropping him back into the WHL, where he will have the opportunity to be a leader on the team and dominant statistically, gives you a slightly higher chance (in my opinion) of long-term success.

If he's back with the Hitmen, I project Gennaro to be named the captain next season. I think a leadership role and further chance to play top minutes would be more beneficial to his development than bottom minutes as one of the youngest players on a team full of better talents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
The Jets need to sign Gennaro to an ELC by June 1 or he'll go back in the draft. I can't see the Jets actually signing him and not taking full control of his development. If they sign him he'll play with the Moose.
This is something I wasn't aware of - I had just assumed that Gennaro had been signed. I agree that it would be a very odd decision to sign him to a contract then immediately send him back to junior at this point in his career.

denominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.