Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2016-17 Part III

Old
02-14-2017, 03:00 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denominator View Post
Generally speaking, I actually agree with all of this. Most prospects have little or nothing to gain from an overage season, and it signals the end of their path to the NHL.

However, there are exceptions (look at Adam Lowry - he played an OA season in 12-13 and has since moved into the NHL), or as was noted, Adam Brooks. Conversely, I think Jake Virtanen's career was significantly impacted by moving him up too early, and have long been a proponent of him playing an OA year, to say nothing of the fact that he should have played as a 19.

I agree that Gennaro is a very long shot to make the NHL at this point, but it doesn't cost the Jets much to take that shot - other than chewing up a contract spot when you have many better prospects. Plunking him in the AHL next year doesn't do much for his development and you run a high chance of a dud prospect in the ECHL. Dropping him back into the WHL, where he will have the opportunity to be a leader on the team and dominant statistically, gives you a slightly higher chance (in my opinion) of long-term success.

If he's back with the Hitmen, I project Gennaro to be named the captain next season. I think a leadership role and further chance to play top minutes would be more beneficial to his development than bottom minutes as one of the youngest players on a team full of better talents.

This is something I wasn't aware of - I had just assumed that Gennaro had been signed. I agree that it would be a very odd decision to sign him to a contract then immediately send him back to junior at this point in his career.
Lowry never played an overage season. He graduated to the pro rank at the end of his eligibility. Although I do tend to think that forward sports on the Moose are going to be a bit crowded next year which might not be ideal from a development stand point.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 03:08 PM
csk

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Lowry never played an overage season. He graduated to the pro rank at the end of his eligibility. Although I do tend to think that forward sports on the Moose are going to be a bit crowded next year which might not be ideal from a development stand point.
yeah, depth chart could easily look like this:

Howden-Roslovic-Kosmachuk
Tanev-DeLeo-Lipon
Lemieux-DeSalvo-Lodge
Gennaro-Harkins-Spacek
Olsen

And that's assuming vets like Cormier, Glennier, Peluso etc. aren't resigned

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 03:11 PM
ruffus23

gennaro must have some value to trade? say a 4th or 5th rounder? LV may be interested in picking up some 20 year old depth for their system.

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 03:15 PM
denominator

Quote:
Ugh, my bad. Did the math totally wrong on that.

denominator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 04:48 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
If he's back with the Hitmen, I project Gennaro to be named the captain next season. I think a leadership role and further chance to play top minutes would be more beneficial to his development than bottom minutes as one of the youngest players on a team full of better talents.
Umm, you're not very familiar with the Moose, are you?

nobody important is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 05:06 PM
csk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
Umm, you're not very familiar with the Moose, are you?
At fwd he would probably be the 11th or 12th

It's our D that's bad

Old
02-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 543
Quote:
Generally speaking, I actually agree with all of this. Most prospects have little or nothing to gain from an overage season, and it signals the end of their path to the NHL.

However, there are exceptions (look at Adam Lowry - he played an OA season in 12-13 and has since moved into the NHL), or as was noted, Adam Brooks. Conversely, I think Jake Virtanen's career was significantly impacted by moving him up too early, and have long been a proponent of him playing an OA year, to say nothing of the fact that he should have played as a 19.

I agree that Gennaro is a very long shot to make the NHL at this point, but it doesn't cost the Jets much to take that shot - other than chewing up a contract spot when you have many better prospects. Plunking him in the AHL next year doesn't do much for his development and you run a high chance of a dud prospect in the ECHL. Dropping him back into the WHL, where he will have the opportunity to be a leader on the team and dominant statistically, gives you a slightly higher chance (in my opinion) of long-term success.

This is something I wasn't aware of - I had just assumed that Gennaro had been signed. I agree that it would be a very odd decision to sign him to a contract then immediately send him back to junior at this point in his career.
Lowry never played an OA season. Brooks wasn't even drafted until 2 years after his class and hasn't made an AHL team yet much less the NHL.

Virtanen may have been rushed to the NHL. That doesn't suggest he should have played an OA year. It suggests he should have finished his usual Jr career before turning pro. If he still wasn't ready he should have put in some time in the AHL. Not an OA year in Jr.

Quote:
Could be. Or not. We can expect some forwards to be moved before next season and some will probably be dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
yeah, depth chart could easily look like this:

Howden-Roslovic-Kosmachuk
Tanev-DeLeo-Lipon
Lemieux-DeSalvo-Lodge
Gennaro-Harkins-Spacek
Olsen

And that's assuming vets like Cormier, Glennier, Peluso etc. aren't resigned
Olsen, Peluso, Lipon, will almost certainly be dropped. Don't know why Cormier is there now. I expect either Connor or Roslovic will move up.

They need to make room for Harkins, Spacek and Gennaro, probably Foley. That's 5 out, 4 in. Tanev and Kosmachuk are question marks.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 05:44 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Lowry never played an OA season. Brooks wasn't even drafted until 2 years after his class and hasn't made an AHL team yet much less the NHL.

Virtanen may have been rushed to the NHL. That doesn't suggest he should have played an OA year. It suggests he should have finished his usual Jr career before turning pro. If he still wasn't ready he should have put in some time in the AHL. Not an OA year in Jr.

Could be. Or not. We can expect some forwards to be moved before next season and some will probably be dropped.

Olsen, Peluso, Lipon, will almost certainly be dropped. Don't know why Cormier is there now. I expect either Connor or Roslovic will move up.

They need to make room for Harkins, Spacek and Gennaro, probably Foley. That's 5 out, 4 in. Tanev and Kosmachuk are question marks.
They will likely want 2 to 3 vets on the roster imo. I'm also of the opinion that it might be time to try to move some forward prospects for some defensive ones. I doubt the Jets move on from Kosmo but he might not pass through waivers.

Old
02-14-2017, 05:57 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I'm pretty sure the Jets are already planning on Harkins, Spacek, and Franklin next year.

Foley and Appleton might be spending another year.

I think we start to see the Jets less inclined to giving second NHL contracts like they were before.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 06:00 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Jets are already planning on Harkins, Spacek, and Franklin next year.

I think we start to see the Jets less inclined to giving second NHL contracts like they were before.
By that do you mean to players coming off their entry level deals thay dont progress much like Olsen etc.

Old
02-14-2017, 10:18 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
By that do you mean to players coming off their entry level deals thay dont progress much like Olsen etc.
aye... also this is my personal guess, not information being leaked haha

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 10:46 PM
csk

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post

I was wondering about Franklin, I won't pencil him in until he signs though

Old
02-14-2017, 11:44 PM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
They will likely want 2 to 3 vets on the roster imo. I'm also of the opinion that it might be time to try to move some forward prospects for some defensive ones. I doubt the Jets move on from Kosmo but he might not pass through waivers.
They'll want some vets. Not Olsen or Peluso. Lipon might have another chance coming. Howden and Glennie are better vets.

We could go around in circles on exactly what happens to which players to no purpose. The point is that there will be space for everyone who needs it on the Moose. There will also be injuries on both teams.

I overlooked Franklin. He will be 23 and is having a good season. Its time for him. If space is getting tight Foley is left in NCAA another year.

Old
02-14-2017, 11:50 PM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
They'll want some vets. Not Olsen or Peluso. Lipon might have another chance coming. Howden and Glennie are better vets.

We could go around in circles on exactly what happens to which players to no purpose. The point is that there will be space for everyone who needs it on the Moose. There will also be injuries on both teams.

I overlooked Franklin. He will be 23 and is having a good season. Its time for him. If space is getting tight Foley is left in NCAA another year.

Old
02-15-2017, 02:41 AM
Jyssy

Good look on Niku. He's #8 or the guy with the prime-Jagr level mullet.

Jyssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 10:07 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
W

I see the Jets moving away from Olson /Cormier/ Peluso/ Strait......... Kitchen can be a group 6 UFA since he will be 25 year's old by July 1 st and has not played a NHL game yet.

I would like to see Kraskovsky/ Franklin/ Foley/ Harkins Spacek/ Gennerio join the Moose next year. STALLARD and Appleton in 2018.

Nikku for the Moose D as well.

The Jets can afford to sign all of these players as I see them at 35 contracts out of a limit of 50 at the end of this season.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 10:24 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
I also see Roslovic and CONNOR making the Jets out of training camp next year.

CONNOR will still be eligible for the Rookie of the year. That way a Jet player can win it 2 years in a row.

I would like to see Roslovic get into 5 -6 NHL games at the end of the season as well. As long as it's not 10 or over so it allows his ELC to slide and start at 3 years next year.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyssy View Post

Thanks for sharing this. Niku shows a lot of poise, very good skating, and lots of hockey sense. He reminds me a bit of Morrissey. He'll need to ramp up his intensity to play at an NHL level.

His D partner (#43) looks like Logan Stanley, without the skating or puck-handling ability.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 12:23 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post

The post so nice, you posted it twice?

Old
02-16-2017, 01:09 AM
portamoral

Quote:

damn he looks good. smart player

he's got pretty quick feet. explains why he gets so many shots through from the point, good for walking the line and moving away from defenders to open up lanes.

im excited about this guy

portamoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 01:52 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Quote:
The Jets do still have access to an ECHL team that they can throw prospects onto to give them playing time and to let them develop. The ECHL isn't a death knell for prospects like it used to be. Toronto has used it with aplomb the last few seasons to get their prospects some playing time, and I think the Jets can do the same here. Sign any prospect that you think has a legitimate chance of being an NHL caliber player - period.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 11:32 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

What's the deadline for getting Niku to sign an ELC?

Old
02-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
What's the deadline for getting Niku to sign an ELC?
June 1 2019

Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:41 PM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

vCash: 50
Quote:

Thank you for this, that is interesting Niku looks pretty slick in that video. Certainly relaxed and comfortable and he reads the play well. He fits the mold of a puck mover for sure.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:42 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Thank you for this, that is interesting Niku looks pretty slick in that video. Certainly relaxed and comfortable and he reads the play well. He fits the mold of a puck mover for sure.
I have visions of Niku and Poolman being a poor man's Trouba and Morrissey pairing for us in a year and a half. I think they'd be a real nice bottom pairing.