HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Building Thread Part XXXVI: Defense wins championships & we don't have any!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Rangers this year

vCash: 50
Roster Building Thread Part XXXVI: Defense wins championships & we don't have any!!

Continue. I am still waking up. Will think of a title later.

Old
02-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Savant

vCash: 500
Perhaps it's good to start a new thread with relevant highlights from the last thread?

Rangers have been scouting Dallas and Los Angeles, possibly Anaheim, recently

Old
02-12-2017, 10:15 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Perhaps it's good to start a new thread with relevant highlights from the last thread?

Rangers have been scouting Dallas and Los Angeles, possibly Anaheim, recently
Realistically the only targets would be Klingberg and Honka from Dallas. Hockey trade for Klingberg? Zucc and Klein for Klingberg and Honka?

Probably no where enough for Klingberg.

Old
02-12-2017, 11:53 AM
Irishguy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Realistically the only targets would be Klingberg and Honka from Dallas. Hockey trade for Klingberg? Zucc and Klein for Klingberg and Honka?

If we could pull off that deal of Zucc/Klein for Klingberg/Honka it would highway robbery and Nill would be fired.

Old
02-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Kahuna Nanu
top10 anime betrayal

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/o...s-brian-boyle/

“Brian Boyle is a depth guy,” Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos said during Saturday’s Headlines on Hockey Night in Canada. “A lot of teams are looking for depth centremen.”

"I'm told right now that the feeling was the price was too high from [Tampa GM] Stevie Yzerman—maybe as much as a first-round pick," said Kypreos. "Saying that, the prices may drop."

He'll go for a third round pick though

02-12-2017, 12:08 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post

You are correct. Zuccarello, Klein, and another piece may get Klingberg, but not Honka too.

Faulk won't go anywhere for anything short of an overpayment. Johansen for Jones was a hockey trade that make a lot of sense for both teams. Duchene for Faulk is another hockey trade that makes a lot of sense. Maybe a small add from Colorado gets it done.

To get a young core piece, you need to give to get. Trouba is still on the block despite what Winnipeg wants everyone else to believe. The player doesn't want to be there. Winnipeg wants an equivalent LHD for Trouba. Who can offer that? Arizona with OEL or Chychrun, Carolina with Hanafin, LA with Muzzin, NY with Leddy, Anaheim with Fowler or Lindholm, Toronto with Reilly, and Philly with Provorov. Of that list, how many of them would actually be available for Trouba? Maybe Fowler or Muzzin, that's about it. The Rangers can't field a competitive offer without acquiring a player like Fowler to trade to Winnipeg.

Skjei and a major add won't get it done. What major add do the Rangers have to offer? The Rangers would need to trade Hayes or Miller for Fowler to get Trouba. What's the play then? Shattenkirk would only cost money on July 1st, but he'll command a 7-8 year, $45 million+ contract. The Rangers will regret the contract in year 4 or 5. The only chance they'll have down the line is to front load the contract like they usually do so the majority of the real dollars are given to Shattenkirk by year 4 of the deal to make him easier to trade when his play starts to fall off.

The best play is to pluck a young RHD prospect that is 20-23 years old and cost controlled. Guys like Honka, Jeremy Roy, McAvoy, Fabbro, Montour, or D'Angelo. Someone not fully developed but poised to be a top 4 contributor in 1-2 years. A deal needs to happen after the expansion draft, because they'll cost a premium beforehand.

02-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Oscar Lindberg

A new thread to drown our sorrows in!

Old
02-12-2017, 12:12 PM
RGY
Kreid or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna Nanu View Post

“Brian Boyle is a depth guy,” Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos said during Saturday’s Headlines on Hockey Night in Canada. “A lot of teams are looking for depth centremen.”

"I'm told right now that the feeling was the price was too high from [Tampa GM] Stevie Yzerman—maybe as much as a first-round pick," said Kypreos. "Saying that, the prices may drop."

Laugh it up pal...

Brian Boyle is not going for a 1st round pick. Its called posturing. Cant wait for the trade to come in that he was acquired for a 3rd round pick and mid level prospect

Old
02-12-2017, 12:15 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:

Why everyone has counted TBL out of the race? Way too early IMHO given how soft Atlantic is this season.

Old
02-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Kahuna Nanu
top10 anime betrayal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Laugh it up pal...

Brian Boyle is not going for a 1st round pick. Its called posturing. Cant wait for the trade to come in that he was acquired for a 3rd round pick and mid level prospect
gonna keep laughing when gets trade for at least a second and a decent prospect

Old
02-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Rangers this year

Quote:
gonna keep laughing when gets trade for at least a second and a decent prospect
Probably a fair price.

Old
02-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Raspewtin
Free Kat Dennings

B Boyle is one of those rare intangibles players that's also a wonderful hockey player

There might be like, 1 or 2 better checkers in the league than Boyle. And one was an unsung hero on his cup team (Kruger)

"It's going to be a zoo no matter what, Staalmania, Staals everywhre, omg Staal on Staal action, three brothers hockeying! Staal returning to Carolina omg what news! All the feels he is feel..." - Ail on Eric Staal's return to Carolina.
Old
02-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Boyle is the guy I've been asking for he'd bring so much to this team and we all know he can be a teams best player come playoff time.

No way I'd give a first but I'd give a second. That's how important a pick up he'd be.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:05 PM
ManUtdTobbe

We don't have a 2nd 2017 and the 2018 draft looks insanely strong, wouldn't trade a 2018 2nd for Boyle, especially as we're hardly a very good 4C away from winning.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Antithesis
Eye Test Dinosaur

What is Klingberg's reputation defensively?

With the emergence of JT Miller, management is probably much more comfortable with the idea of trading Zuccarello or Nash.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:16 PM
ManUtdTobbe

Why are we talking about Klingberg? Stars are not moving Klingberg for anything less then severe overpayment, he's a legit top pairing D-man signed to a sweetheart contract, add that he's a RH PMD to that and he's worth his weight in gold. Him having a few rough months to start the season doesn't change any of this.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:19 PM
SA16
Sixstring

I wouldn't trade anything for Boyle. Too many coaches have had this obsession with playing him on the first or second line and giving him a ton of minutes when things go bad or players get hurt. It happened a lot here and he's got a ton of time with Drouin and PP time in TB. It's like the Jesper Fast thing from last year. A good player but completely miscast if you put him in that type of role. Play him on the 4th line and PK only and he's great. This is more of a "save the coach from himself" type of no deal I'd prefer.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:20 PM
LarryMcDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
Boyle is the guy I've been asking for he'd bring so much to this team and we all know he can be a teams best player come playoff time.

No way I'd give a first but I'd give a second. That's how important a pick up he'd be.
I wouldn't give up a 2nd, a 3rd and a prospect at most, he isn't a pressing need, our 4th line has been more than fine, though he'd be an upgrade, I'd rather spend a 2nd on a defenseman that can help without breaking the bank ala Michael Stone.

Though:

Vesey-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Zib-Zuc
Grabner-Hayes-Miller
Buch-Boyle-Fast

is real pretty looking

Old
02-12-2017, 01:23 PM
ManUtdTobbe

Michael Stone is pretty awful, exactly the type of D-man we don't need, terrible shot suppressor and not good at moving the puck.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:25 PM
LarryMcDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtdTobbe View Post
Michael Stone is pretty awful, exactly the type of D-man we don't need, terrible shot suppressor and not good at moving the puck.
He'd be our best RHD

Old
02-12-2017, 01:28 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
I wouldn't trade anything for Boyle. Too many coaches have had this obsession with playing him on the first or second line and giving him a ton of minutes when things go bad or players get hurt. It happened a lot here and he's got a ton of time with Drouin and PP time in TB. It's like the Jesper Fast thing from last year. A good player but completely miscast if you put him in that type of role. Play him on the 4th line and PK only and he's great. This is more of a "save the coach from himself" type of no deal I'd prefer.
Only thing is as long as we're healthy, there should really be no room for him to even fit in a top 9 role. We already have Buchnevich playing on the 4th line as is.

02-12-2017, 01:37 PM
East Coast Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMcDavid View Post
He'd be our best RHD
No he wouldn't. He's awful. He drags anyone he plays with down.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:46 PM
LarryMcDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Bias View Post
No he wouldn't. He's awful. He drags anyone he plays with down.
The irony considering the other RHD are Girardi and Klein...

Regardless of what "East Coast Bias" says I'd still take him over the current crop of RHD we have.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post

Wasn't AV not a fan or Boyle?

Old
02-12-2017, 02:00 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Closed Thread