HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Building Thread Part XXXVI: Defense wins championships & we don't have any!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2017, 01:01 PM
PMII
Brännström

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMcDavid View Post
The irony considering the other RHD are Girardi and Klein...

Regardless of what "East Coast Bias" says I'd still take him over the current crop of RHD we have.
klein is better than him

02-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Geoff Gorden
Buy Out Staal

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Wasn't AV not a fan or Boyle?
AV relied on him and his line to do a bunch of the heavy lifting for D zone draws and used Boyle a bunch on the PK.

Don't know how he felt about him as a person, but I'm pretty sure AV was a big fan of Boyle the player.

BB was very popular in the room, I'd love to bring him back but he should be priority #3 behind a defenseman and another defenseman.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
I'd be all aboard the bring back Brian Boyle train.

Great guy in the room, he'd know his role and AV loved him when he was here. 4th line, PK and D-Zone faceoffs.

I wouldn't think twice about sending Lindberg to Tampa for Boyle.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Rangers this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtdTobbe View Post
Why are we talking about Klingberg? Stars are not moving Klingberg for anything less then severe overpayment, he's a legit top pairing D-man signed to a sweetheart contract, add that he's a RH PMD to that and he's worth his weight in gold. Him having a few rough months to start the season doesn't change any of this.
Desperate times. They aren't a good team.

Quote:
The irony considering the other RHD are Girardi and Klein...

Regardless of what "East Coast Bias" says I'd still take him over the current crop of RHD we have.
Being slightly better than Dan Girardi is an accomplishment? We don't need that on our team.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:29 PM
ManUtdTobbe

vCash: 500
Quote:
He'd be our best RHD
I'm not so sure about that, and given the state of our RHDs that pretty much tells you everything you need to know about Stone. Any player that's not BY FAR out best RHD is a player i don't want unless he's like 20 years old.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:30 PM
TheGuarantee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post

Being slightly better than Dan Girardi is an accomplishment? We don't need that on our team.
So we're too good for being better than what we have? If it's for cheap why wouldn't you make the move to improve our roster?

Old
02-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Antithesis
Eye Test Dinosaur

I thought we were all firmly on board with not trading away picks or prospects for a rental at the deadline.

If you can do like for like switches, great. But we shouldn't be seeing more Clowe/Staal moves.

02-12-2017, 01:32 PM
ManUtdTobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post
So a team that's not good should trade their only 1st pairing D-man? Especially when he's a young RH PMD signed at one of the best contracts in the league? Come on.

Old
PMII
Brännström

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I thought we were all firmly on board with not trading away picks or prospects for a rental at the deadline.

If you can do like for like switches, great. But we shouldn't be seeing more Clowe/Staal moves.
i wouldnt trade for boyle as a rental only because i love the giy

i only posted that tidbit because someone is convinced that hell get traded for a third rounder and its utterly ridiculous to think that

Old
TheGuarantee

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that, and given the state of our RHDs that pretty much tells you everything you need to know about Stone. Any player that's not BY FAR out best RHD is a player i don't want unless he's like 20 years old.
He'd be a rental and our best RHD. But no everyone should only want the Faulk's or Shattenkirk's

Old
02-12-2017, 01:33 PM
PMII
Brännström

Quote:
He'd be a rental and our best RHD. But no everyone should only want the Faulk's or Shattenkirk's
klein is better than him.

Old
ManUtdTobbe

Quote:
So we're too good for being better than what we have? If it's for cheap why wouldn't you make the move to improve our roster?
Why do you think Stone would be cheap? He's got a reputation that is much better then his play on the ice, i think he'd fetch like a 2nd at the deadline which is way more then we should pay for any rental, let alone a bad rental.

Old
Geoff Gorden
Buy Out Staal

vCash: 1050
Klingberg for Zucc would be a coup and Zucc is a great player.

I get that the Stars really need forwards going forward (and a goalie, they screwed up by not moving Honka for Talbot) but I have a tough time believing that they'd move their best defender for a player who while still productive, isn't likely to get any better.

Could see a package around Hayes or Miller working. But hey, if they're that desperate lets make it happen for Zucc.

and +1 to getting Nichuskin on the cheap. I never liked him as a primary piece when Yandle rumors were being thrown around but hes the very definition of low risk high reward ATM.

Old
02-12-2017, 01:34 PM
ManUtdTobbe

Quote:
So SLIGHTLY upgrading our RD position with a rental that would likely cost us a 2nd is worth it to you? It wouldn't really change our chances come playoffs, he's bad.

Old
02-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Invisible

It seems a little odd the Rangers scouts have been watching the kings so much it's not like either team is selling. I'm not surprised at the Avs tho we know they're selling so for use to be there 4-5 times already I'm not surprised about .

Old
02-12-2017, 02:37 PM
TheGuarantee

Quote:
So SLIGHTLY upgrading our RD position with a rental that would likely cost us a 2nd is worth it to you? It wouldn't really change our chances come playoffs, he's bad.
I really shouldn't have said a 2nd, because honestly I wouldn't trade a 2nd after thinking but a 3 or 4 and a mid level prospect, yeah absolutely

Old
02-12-2017, 02:44 PM
RGY
Kreid or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna Nanu View Post
i wouldnt trade for boyle as a rental only because i love the giy

i only posted that tidbit because someone is convinced that hell get traded for a third rounder and its utterly ridiculous to think that
Keep it up...

You got it allll figured out. 4th line role player Brian Boyle is going to fetch a better return than many other options for teams at the deadline.

Old
02-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post

This is what happens when people start staring down the idea of the Rangers not being players at the deadline.

Old
02-12-2017, 03:16 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I'd be all aboard the bring back Brian Boyle train.

Great guy in the room, he'd know his role and AV loved him when he was here. 4th line, PK and D-Zone faceoffs.

I wouldn't think twice about sending Lindberg to Tampa for Boyle.
Would Lindberg be somebody they're interested in or would it just be a pick? Lindberg is still young and under RFA control and can slide into a 4th line center role for them to replace Boyle though Boyle has at various points been elevated into higher roles in their lineup. I'd 100% do Lindberg for Boyle as a rental as Lindberg is an extremely replaceable part to me and especially since they have Stepan, Mika, Miller, and Hayes as all guys that can play center along with Boo potentially sliding into 4th line center next year. I don't have a true gauge on Lindberg's value though personally but it's a trade I definitely would do. Just don't know if Tampa would. And I'm not really prepared to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy like Boyle either with the depth we already have at forward. There's more glaring needs on the roster though his addition would be nice.

02-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Rangers this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna Nanu View Post
klein is better than him.
Quote:
See the above.

Why would we give assets for someone that is minimally better than Girardi? It won't be for cheap. There will be few teams selling. You all get these pipe dream scenarios in your head, convince yourselves that they will happen and then make that your hill to die on for an argument.

I am not what is more shocking. The fact that you think he is that big of an upgrade to give assets for or the fact that you think he can be had for cheap?

If he could be had for a 4th rounder, sure. I would take him. At that price it couldn't hurt. But to give up multiple 2nds or a 2nd + 3rd for someone who will take our defense from really bad to still really bad but just tiniest bit better... It isn't worth it. With so few teams selling, the few moves that get made will come with expensive price tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Keep it up...

You got it allll figured out. 4th line role player Brian Boyle is going to fetch a better return than many other options for teams at the deadline.
He does. Boyle could be a really significant piece to a team making a cup run.

Old
02-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Revel
DXer

I don't think we should be looking at Boyle...or any other forward or that matter. Our forward core is deep and amazing. A move needs to be made for a RHD. Anything else is just making a move for the sake of making a move. I think Gorton knows this, and will only make a move for a Defensive piece.

Questions are:

Will it be a rental like a Gilbert?

Will it be an expensive commitment like a Shatty?

Will it be a move towards the future in hopes that it will pay off SOON...like a Kyle Wood?

A nice compromise would be a guy like Trouba...or a guy that doesn't make an astronomical amount...like Faulk. These guys are young, but proven...and don't make insane dollars yet. I doubt either are on the market, though. If Winnepeg was interested in trading Trouba, he'd be gone already...and Faulk is on a nice contract @ less than 5 mil cap hit for 3 more years after this year. They probably know they have a nice deal going there.

Old
02-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Would Lindberg be somebody they're interested in or would it just be a pick? Lindberg is still young and under RFA control and can slide into a 4th line center role for them to replace Boyle though Boyle has at various points been elevated into higher roles in their lineup. I'd 100% do Lindberg for Boyle as a rental as Lindberg is an extremely replaceable part to me and especially since they have Stepan, Mika, Miller, and Hayes as all guys that can play center along with Boo potentially sliding into 4th line center next year. I don't have a true gauge on Lindberg's value though personally but it's a trade I definitely would do. Just don't know if Tampa would. And I'm not really prepared to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy like Boyle either with the depth we already have at forward. There's more glaring needs on the roster though his addition would be nice.
Tough to know. I'd probably even throw in a 4th. But I'd be reluctant to trade any more 2nd and 3rds as well. Lindberg is young, RFA controlled and replaceable in our system like you said. Just depends if Tampa or any other team values him over a pick

Old
02-12-2017, 04:27 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Dom Moore would regularly bring back a 2nd pick at the deadline. BB would easily return the same.

Old
02-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Zil
Brännström please

People want to waste assets adding forwards? You guys are nuts.

Old
02-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
People want to waste assets adding forwards? You guys are nuts.
While not the most pressing need on this team, Boyle is 52% on face-offs...Stepan, Hayes, Miller, etc are all 46% or lower. Zib is 52%, Oscar 50%.

If we can swap in Boyle for Lindberg/4th or something and move Buch up with Step, drop Vesey to 4th with Boyle/Fast I'd love our forwards even more.

Closed Thread