HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Nyquist high stick to Spurgeon (upd: suspended 6 games)

Old
02-16-2017, 03:07 PM
rynryn
Reluctant Optimist

vCash: 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gloaming View Post
I don't know how anyone can watch the video and claim this was an accident.
i agree with you, but that's the party line. So what good does a suspension do? Whoops! My stick hit his face! Better not accidentally do that again! He's not a friggin incompetent who's new to the game. If this was an accident, what is he going to learn from this? Why is he being punished at all? If he was merely clumsy or uncoordinated chances are he'd have whacked someone else in the face before now.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:09 PM
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i agree with you, but that's the party line. So what good does a suspension do? Whoops! My stick hit his face! Better not accidentally do that again! He's not a friggin incompetent who's new to the game. If this was an accident, what is he going to learn from this? Why is he being punished at all? If he was merely clumsy or uncoordinated chances are he'd have whacked someone else in the face before now.
Clumsy and uncoordinated people don't play in the NHL. These guys deflect pucks at 90+mph - that doesn't happen when you're uncoordinated.

The Gloaming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:13 PM
hirawl
Used Register

Quote:
I don't know how anyone can watch the video and claim this was an accident.
And I can't believe how anyone who's watched the video, knows hockey and has some thinking ability of his own can claim it was on purpose. It's ridiculous to me. Absolutely ridiculous.

hirawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:24 PM
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirawl View Post
And I can't believe how anyone who's watched the video, knows hockey and has some thinking ability of his own can claim it was on purpose. It's ridiculous to me. Absolutely ridiculous.
Yeah, when a players whole body and arms are aimed towards another player's face, and then he hits that face, it's so hard to understand why it looks like it's on purpose.

Enjoy your ridiculous suspension, Gustav.

The Gloaming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:24 PM
CrashBartley

Quote:
Believe it man.
I've watched the video in real time and slo-motion, played for 40 years, watched 1000's of hours of hockey (ask my wife) and run my own business so I have some ability to think, and I know he did it on purpose.
Did he mean to spear his face? No.
Was he enraged and retaliating without thinking? Absolutely.

CrashBartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:35 PM
TheSituation

It's comical. The league says that they don't take injury into consideration but you know that if Spurgeon's eye popped like a grape on air, Nyquist would be done for the year.

TheSituation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSituation View Post
It's comical. The league says that they don't take injury into consideration but you know that if Spurgeon's eye popped like a grape on air, Nyquist would be done for the year.
I, for one, hate the concept of basing suspensions on injuries, but you can see why they do it. If a player gets injured for a long time, his team will always demand vengeance in the form of a lengthy suspension, even if the actual act was something players do often and don't cause injury. It is stupid because you'll have guys doing the same exact thing and getting wildly different suspension just because of how badly the victim takes it.

Given they believed Nyquist and did not suspend this as an intentional act, I don't think there is a chance he'd be done for the year. I don't know how far you can reasonably extend a suspension for an accident, even a reckless accident.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Deathstroke
Slade Wilson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Based on what?
The video explained that Nyquist was trying to do something to Spurgeon with his stick.

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Why is no one taking the fact Spurgeon wasn't really injured into this? If I blow threw a stop sign, intentionally because I'm late and get into a fender bender - I'm at fault and I get a ticket. If I kill someone because of it I obviously get into a whole different level of punishment. This happened here. How do you suspend someone for a large amount of games when he didn't really injure the player?

He meant to retaliate, which means he is responsible and appropriate for suspension but I don't think he meant to hit him in the face. I get other people don't agree. He didn't injure the guy, and he doesn't have any history.

This. Its the way the real world works.

If someone was to get arrested for drunk driving without incident at a BAC of.28, the penalty isn't going to be as bad as blowing .09 after injuring or killing somebody.

Although both are bad, driving at .28 is far more dangerous than .09.

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:04 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
The video explained that Nyquist was trying to do something to Spurgeon with his stick.
I agree with that, but the major point of contention with people is whether or not he meant to hit him in the face.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:18 PM
robertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Why is no one taking the fact Spurgeon wasn't really injured into this? If I blow threw a stop sign, intentionally because I'm late .
That's "nobody was injured so no crime was committed". In theory I agree but then even though I drove home completed wasted and didn't hit anything or anybody it still cost me $10k in drunk driving charges when the cops found me passed out behind the wheel in my driveway with the car running.

robertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:21 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSituation View Post
When does the league say they don't take injury into consideration?

I've seen many DoPS videos that cite injury as a factor when issuing a suspension.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:22 PM
robertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
This. Its the way the real world works.

If someone was to get arrested for drunk driving without incident at a BAC of.28, the penalty isn't going to be as bad as blowing .09 after injuring or killing somebody.

Although both are bad, driving at .28 is far more dangerous than .09.
I wrote my post below before seeing yours. And there is sometimes no punishment when you blow .00 even though you ran a red and killed someone. That's a 500 dollar fine.

robertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:31 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
I was referring to them never being engaged before Spurgeon cross checked Nyquist, but ok. In your opinion in WANTED to spear Spurgeon, I don't believe that was the case.

This is why I deleted my last response to you, you are incapable of discussion. I'm not a wall for you to rant at.

Youy are right, walls don't spou off easily disproven lies.

He wants to crosscheck a guy who is standing behind him without moving his feet. I'm really curious how that works when he's keeping his hands the way one would pitchforking hay.

His hands were NEVER is a position to cross check anyone. I'm sorry if this fact makes your argument untenable but there is a clear remedy for that, stop supporting idiotic interpretations of what he did or why.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:52 PM
57special

Quote:
And I think your opinion in this matter is absolutely ridiculous. So where does that leave us?

Oops, I accidentally speared him in the face when I meant to crosscheck him?

Really?

02-16-2017, 10:38 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
He's being punished because it was reckless. He didn't get more games because it was unintentional. You still have to take responsibility for your actions regardless of intent.

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 10:39 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Yeah, when a players whole body and arms are aimed towards another player's face, and then he hits that face, it's so hard to understand why it looks like it's on purpose.

Enjoy your ridiculous suspension, Gustav.
It's pretty easy to understand when you look at what actually happened, yes.

Old
02-16-2017, 10:40 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57special View Post
And I think your opinion in this matter is absolutely ridiculous. So where does that leave us?

Oops, I accidentally speared him in the face when I meant to crosscheck him?

Really?
Yep. Accidentally hitting the glass will do that to a stick. Who would have thought that's how physics work?

Old
02-16-2017, 10:43 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Youy are right, walls don't spou off easily disproven lies.

He wants to crosscheck a guy who is standing behind him without moving his feet. I'm really curious how that works when he's keeping his hands the way one would pitchforking hay.

His hands were NEVER is a position to cross check anyone. I'm sorry if this fact makes your argument untenable but there is a clear remedy for that, stop supporting idiotic interpretations of what he did or why.
His hands were never in a position to crosscheck anyone because the glass impeded him from getting in a position to do so. Pretty obvious.

Old
02-17-2017, 10:33 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
His hands were never in a position to crosscheck anyone because the glass impeded him from getting in a position to do so. Pretty obvious.
so the minute the butt end of his stick touched the glass, he was powerless to move his feet, powerless to move his arms and the immese force of the stick on the glass caused a 750 GRAM item to rocket aray from his body and all he could do was hold on fore dear life and the physics directed the upturned blade into spurgeons face ?

you didnt happen to study physics at the wile e coyote institute per chance ?

and if the idea was that he speared him getting his stick in preparation to crosscheck him, he STILL has to be in control of his stick at that time and his desire to move his stick into a position to crosscheck has to yield to Spurgeons face being in the way.

at least his " i didnt mean to spear him but i wanted to crosscheck him" lie wasnt that he wanted to settle up face to face and drop then because no one would have ever believed that.

a punk ass who seeks retribution at the end of a stick ( over a nothing cross check) is still a punk ass.

Old
02-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Plickspect

Quote:
Yep. Accidentally hitting the glass will do that to a stick. Who would have thought that's how physics work?
Did hitting the glass cause his blade to open up towards Spurgeon's face, too?

Also, as far as the whole "cross-check" (lol) thing goes, you do realize he's facing the completely WRONG way if he's attempting to cross-check Spurgeon. I'm not sure how you cross-check somebody when you're in front of them AND facing the same direction, unless his stick touching the glass and physics caused that, too.

Plickspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:50 PM
rynryn
Reluctant Optimist

vCash: 4500
Quote:
He's being punished because it was reckless. He didn't get more games because it was unintentional. You still have to take responsibility for your actions regardless of intent.
it's crap. like i said, he gets the benefit of the doubt but I'm convinced he wasn't attempting to crosscheck anyone and I don't know what he was doing then other than spearing.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 02:02 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plickspect View Post
Did hitting the glass cause his blade to open up towards Spurgeon's face, too?

Also, as far as the whole "cross-check" (lol) thing goes, you do realize he's facing the completely WRONG way if he's attempting to cross-check Spurgeon. I'm not sure how you cross-check somebody when you're in front of them AND facing the same direction, unless his stick touching the glass and physics caused that, too.
I asked the very same thing, how he intended to crosscheck a guy who was behind him and whom he was not facing. crickets.

I've seen the video more times that I can count, I STILL have no idea how either one of the justifications ( his stick being "stuck" or " i just wanted to crosscheck him") are at all physically possible ithout invoking a magic bullet or a magic loogie like kieth hernandez.

this ignores, of course, the evidence that he looked back AT spurgeon before spearing him in the face so the " i didnt know that the guys who just crosschecked me in the back was actually behind me" defense is equally vacuous. The problem is, of the three THAT one is the most believable.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:05 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
I asked the very same thing, how he intended to crosscheck a guy who was behind him and whom he was not facing. crickets.

I've seen the video more times that I can count, I STILL have no idea how either one of the justifications ( his stick being "stuck" or " i just wanted to crosscheck him") are at all physically possible ithout invoking a magic bullet or a magic loogie like kieth hernandez.

this ignores, of course, the evidence that he looked back AT spurgeon before spearing him in the face so the " i didnt know that the guys who just crosschecked me in the back was actually behind me" defense is equally vacuous. The problem is, of the three THAT one is the most believable.
It's actually been answered several times (at least 3 times by me alone) in this thread as well as in the ruling video. But you knew that.

02-17-2017, 02:18 PM
mojova

The butt end of the shaft hits the glass, making a cross check a high stick..

And, thus was the magic blade theory born! How about that...

Matt Cooke hopping on Karlsson achilles heel while wearing a blindfold seemed a little suspicious, but NHL players are professionals, after all.

mojova is online now   Reply With Quote