HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jeff Carter for the Hart

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2017, 01:21 AM
  #26
ozzie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,174
vCash: 500
Carter might not even be the MVP on his own team. Budaj might steal some votes if given the chance.

ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 01:39 AM
  #27
Cruel11
Dark Side
 
Cruel11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Finalizer
Country: United States
Posts: 22,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Carter might not even be the MVP on his own team. Budaj might steal some votes if given the chance.
Kings fan here and you're wrong. While Budaj has been good and he is playing the best he can, Carter has carried this team since game 1. He has called out the team and take it upon himself to be a leader. Carter has scored 21.2% of his team’s goals this season. No player has a higher percentage of his team’s goals. While I don't think he will win, I think he should be in the discussions. We will see at the end of the season.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 02:47 AM
  #28
WrinkledPossum
Play Dead
 
WrinkledPossum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Things like this are how players go from underrated to overrated real fast...

WrinkledPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 03:02 AM
  #29
KoozNetsOff 92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,557
vCash: 500
Backstrom will win the ross and hart this season. McDavid, Crosby and Burns will be in the mix until the end.

KoozNetsOff 92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 03:07 AM
  #30
Sam Spade
Registered User
 
Sam Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,075
vCash: 500
I watch a ton of Kings games and I can absolutely get on board with this premise. Right now, today, Carter should get some consideration. If the Kings make the playoffs Carter will be the main reason.

He won't be mentioned though, maybe top ten when all is said and done. East coast bias, yada, yada.

I'm still trying to figure out how Crosby will probably win the Hart when Malkin is more valuable to the Pens and McDavid, if he drags the Oilers to the playoffs, is the very definition of MVP, Art Ross or not.

Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 03:10 AM
  #31
SettlementRichie10
Registered User
 
SettlementRichie10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
what he is doing is remarkable on a Kings team thats had trouble scoring

with that being said, crosby/mcdavid/burns the clear top 3 as of now. He is a not so distant 4th tho
This is perfectly reasonable logic.

SettlementRichie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 03:18 AM
  #32
Mubiki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
If it's actually "value to the team", then I can see it.

But that's not really what the award is for, so he's got no shot.

Mubiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 03:51 AM
  #33
Sniper99
MF Starboy
 
Sniper99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamwhistle View Post
Care to explain why? Or just dropped in for a 9 character submission?

Honestly, Carter should be in the top 5 for Hart voting at this point in my opinion. If we're talking about the player most valuable to their team, it might genuinely be him. Of course it'd be hard to beat out Crosby and McDavid, maybe on their point totals alone, but the Kings score so rarely compared to their teams that Carter carries most of the weight. No way are the Kings even sniffing a playoff spot without him, especially with Kopitar having a down year and injuries to Gaborik, Toffoli etc. for good chunks of the year.
Its not that hard for you to figure out.

Just take a look around you. Lots of guys are having great years. They usually nominate 3 players for these awards.

Crosby
McDavid
Burns

the list goes on.

Sniper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 04:01 AM
  #34
Plural
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28,383
vCash: 50
He's probably top-5. Maybe even top-3. Though hard to argue him above Burns.

Plural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 04:03 AM
  #35
PattyLafontaine
Registered User
 
PattyLafontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Belgium
Posts: 1,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamwhistle View Post
Care to explain why? Or just dropped in for a 9 character submission?

Honestly, Carter should be in the top 5 for Hart voting at this point in my opinion. If we're talking about the player most valuable to their team, it might genuinely be him. Of course it'd be hard to beat out Crosby and McDavid, maybe on their point totals alone, but the Kings score so rarely compared to their teams that Carter carries most of the weight. No way are the Kings even sniffing a playoff spot without him, especially with Kopitar having a down year and injuries to Gaborik, Toffoli etc. for good chunks of the year.
Take a look at where the Kings are in the standings. Also look at the fact that he's 8 points behind Burns.

Look at where the Oilers were last year as opposed to last year. Look Dubnyk Bob, and Holtby and their crazy years.

Of there's also Crosby, Backstrom, Kane.

You could also argue Marchand (hate the guy).

Carter is maybe top 10 but right now you have to have Burns, McDavid and a 3rd (Crosby, Dubnyk, Holtby, Bob, Kane, Backstrom) and frankly Burns should at the top. Still 24-29 games to go should it's going to be a great ride. Carter is going to need at least 31 points in his last 27 games to have an outside shot.

PattyLafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 04:05 AM
  #36
Plural
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28,383
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper99 View Post
Its not that hard for you to figure out.

Just take a look around you. Lots of guys are having great years. They usually nominate 3 players for these awards.

Crosby
McDavid
Burns

the list goes on.
How the misinformation about award "nominations" are still so alive is such a weird thing. I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but they don't nominate anyone for the Hart (or any other award). The three "nominees" that are announced before the awards gala are simply just the three players with the highest amount of voting points.

For the Hart, the professional hockey writers association members submit a list of 5 players who they vote for the award. 1st place is worth 10 points, 2nd place is worth 7 points, 3rd place is worth 5 points , 4th place is worth 3 points and 5th place is worth 1 point. The player who has accumulated the highest amount of voting points wins the award.

Plural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 04:17 AM
  #37
Jesus Take the Wheel
Registered User
 
Jesus Take the Wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 873
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLafontaine View Post
Take a look at where the Kings are in the standings. Also look at the fact that he's 8 points behind Burns.

Look at where the Oilers were last year as opposed to last year. Look Dubnyk Bob, and Holtby and their crazy years.

Of there's also Crosby, Backstrom, Kane.

You could also argue Marchand (hate the guy).

Carter is maybe top 10 but right now you have to have Burns, McDavid and a 3rd (Crosby, Dubnyk, Holtby, Bob, Kane, Backstrom) and frankly Burns should at the top. Still 24-29 games to go should it's going to be a great ride. Carter is going to need at least 31 points in his last 27 games to have an outside shot.
Sure, there are lots of guys having strong years and if you look at just points Carter is top 5-10 range. Now if you want to consider the basis of the award which is most valuable to their team this year, I'd argue he's second to only McDavid.

Jesus Take the Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 06:46 AM
  #38
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sewell NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 10,595
vCash: 143
Burns is the front runner IMO

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 06:49 AM
  #39
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 73,704
vCash: 3514
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowTheIce View Post
The race for the Hart just seems to be between Crosby and McDavid.

Seems pretty unreasonable to not include Jeff Carter in the conversation.

Our writer took a look at why he should be included.

btihockey.com/a-dark-horse-for-hart/

Do you think Carter should be in the conversation?
grasping at straws here

there are barely a playoff team. Using your logic Budja should be the MVP

__________________
**Avatar approved by the powers that be***

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:09 AM
  #40
HydroF
Registered User
 
HydroF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vacaville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 50
It's between Burns and McDavid right now, there is a decent gap between them and Carter.

HydroF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:10 AM
  #41
lordjedediah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 246
vCash: 50
"The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team"


Carter's 51 points leads the Kings by 19 points. McDavid's 60 points leads the Oilers by 14 points. Burns' 59 points leads the Sharks by 11.


Last edited by lordjedediah: 02-13-2017 at 09:22 AM.
lordjedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:17 AM
  #42
HydroF
Registered User
 
HydroF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vacaville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjedediah View Post
"The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team"


Where exactly do point totals come in to play for that? The Kings would have fewer wins than Colorado without Carter.
Not all about points, but there are other players who have arguably been more valuable to their teams.

HydroF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:23 AM
  #43
lordjedediah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 246
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroF View Post
Not all about points, but there are other players who have arguably been more valuable to their teams.
I edited the post. To not have Carter in the top 3 for Hart this season is absurd.

lordjedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 10:00 AM
  #44
MickeyMelchiondo
Registered User
 
MickeyMelchiondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowgs View Post
I'd have him as a close second behind McDavid right now for the Hart in terms of most valuable to their team. Other players in contention are on much stronger teams.
agreed
he's carrying the Kings, will probably get 40+ goals on a team where only one other player currently is in double digits for goals.

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 10:08 AM
  #45
tony d
Kyle Turris
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,081
vCash: 500
He's having 1 heck of a season for sure. Not sure he'll be a Hart finalist but he should be given strong consideration.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 10:13 AM
  #46
CanadianPensFan1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroF View Post
Not all about points, but there are other players who have arguably been more valuable to their teams.

No, its not all about points. Or rather, it shouldnt be.

If you want to go by the definition of the award, McDavid and Carter are definitely in the conversation together.

But the Hart tends to follow the Art Ross around. Not always but more often than not. It shouldnt .. but it does.

CanadianPensFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 10:31 AM
  #47
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kölumboos
Country: United States
Posts: 30,513
vCash: 500
If there is any justice in the world, a player who dogs it the way he did here should have a lifetime ban from ever being considered as "most valuable" anything.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 12:22 PM
  #48
danaluvsthekings
Registered User
 
danaluvsthekings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
If there is any justice in the world, a player who dogs it the way he did here should have a lifetime ban from ever being considered as "most valuable" anything.
You know, it is possible that people do mature and some do their growing up later than others. It's unfortunate Columbus had to bear the brunt of his growing up process.

I was leery of Carter after reading all the dry island party boy rumors from Philly, his reaction to the Columbus trade and I totally understand why Columbus fans feel the way they do about Carter (I think Kings fans have similar feelings about Roenick). What Carter did to Columbus was wrong. That said, I think a lot of people would say Carter is a different player and probably a lot more mature as a person now than he was 5 years ago.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 12:29 PM
  #49
Sniper99
MF Starboy
 
Sniper99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plural View Post
How the misinformation about award "nominations" are still so alive is such a weird thing. I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but they don't nominate anyone for the Hart (or any other award). The three "nominees" that are announced before the awards gala are simply just the three players with the highest amount of voting points.

For the Hart, the professional hockey writers association members submit a list of 5 players who they vote for the award. 1st place is worth 10 points, 2nd place is worth 7 points, 3rd place is worth 5 points , 4th place is worth 3 points and 5th place is worth 1 point. The player who has accumulated the highest amount of voting points wins the award.
Never took it as an attack, no worries.

Sniper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 12:46 PM
  #50
lexlavender
Registered User
 
lexlavender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
He will never win but he deserves votes for sure. It's hard to beat Burns, McDavid, or Corsby. I agree, should be top 4.

lexlavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.