HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Most overrated player in the NHL

Old
02-13-2017, 09:14 AM
leafSSteelers79

vCash: 500
Most overrated player in the NHL

Without a doubt, for almost ten years now... carey price. He was built to be something he is not, and now nobody wants to admit they were wrong. Its funny how everyone jumps on the wagon with him. I feel bad for the guy, I think he seems like a great guy, great teamate, and he has shown he can play at a high level and be one of the best goalies in the world. But to say without question he is the best goalie in the game today, is almost ridiculous. I know that someone out there that does not easily have their opinions influenced by what the general public claims, will be able to agree with me... id just like to hear from you.

leafSSteelers79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:15 AM
Channelcat

vCash: 50
Nah, lots of more overrated players than him

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:19 AM
MakeTheGoalsLarger

He was the best goalie in the game, he isn't right now.

Seriously what's the point of saying a guy is overrated once he starts playing bad? It's like that thread about Jeff carter being underrated because he's having his career year...... I mean we can all read stats, we aren't learning anything from this.

MakeTheGoalsLarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:20 AM
Ginger Jesus

Toews is far and away #1

Ginger Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

If you wanna talk overrated goaltenders, Luongo is one of them. He was expected to bring Vancouver the cup and be this goalie who can win cups like Brodeur but failed when the pressure was on. Price is in a funk and no way overrated. This is from an Oilers fan. He has his good games and bad games.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bieber fever

JT ainec

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
strictlyrandy

Gonna pick on my own team.... I think Barrie is vastly overrated.

strictlyrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:24 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
If you wanna talk overrated goaltenders, Luongo is one of them. He was expected to bring Vancouver the cup and be this goalie who can win cups like Brodeur but failed when the pressure was on. Price is in a funk and no way overrated. This is from an Oilers fan. He has his good games and bad games.

How many more cups does Price have over Luongo?

Heck, at least Luongo has a finals appearance.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Ginger Jesus

Quote:
Yeah definitely solely Lu's fault when the team scored 8 goals in 7 games

Old
02-13-2017, 09:30 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
How many more cups does Price have over Luongo?

Heck, at least Luongo has a finals appearance.
At least when pressure is on, Price shows up for it (ie. Team Canada in Gold Medal games). Luongo couldn't even pull it together for some games without someone else showing him up.

Old
02-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Ginger Jesus

Quote:
At least when pressure is on, Price shows up for it (ie. Team Canada in Gold Medal games). Luongo couldn't even pull it together for some games without someone else showing him up.
Must be so hard playing behind the best team ever. Luongo also won gold in 2010...

Old
02-13-2017, 09:33 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Jesus View Post
Yeah definitely solely Lu's fault when the team scored 8 goals in 7 games
Huh? What games are you talking about? In that Boston-Vancouver Stanley Cup Finals, Boston had 19 goals on Vancouver in 7 games...

Old
02-13-2017, 09:34 AM
leafSSteelers79

Well... actually Price is an average goalie with great spurts... not the other way around. Thats the problem. Perspective. Every goalie has good and bad games, but everyone focuses on his good games. When he plays bad they say he is a slump. The truth is ... stats dont lie... and even though price has been put on a pedistool since before he was in the nhl and given all the opportunity and had teams that blocked more shots and forced teams to make less quality shots, he still has not done anything signifigant in the nhl. He had one really good regular season. He was the best that year. But thats it besides that he has been average and nobody sees it. His playoff nunber flat out stink. Compare him to others... you will see. A month or two a go i did... and i believe that 18 goalies in the league have a better playoff win %, a better playoff GAA, AND and better playoff save %, than carey price. First it was because he is young 'but he will be the best' . If his career ended today do you think he would be in the hall of fame? From a few good regular seasons, and one great regular season? No. Maybe he will start stealing games the way hask or roy did... butbhe hasnt yet, so he is not elite.

leafSSteelers79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:35 AM
rhinoshawarma

Quote:
Luongo isn't overrated, Van just didn't have a great team. Goaltending wasn't the problem

Quote:
Lol relax, Luongo won the Gold for Team Canada too

rhinoshawarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Ginger Jesus

Quote:
Huh? What games are you talking about? In that Boston-Vancouver Stanley Cup Finals, Boston had 19 goals on Vancouver in 7 games...
What are you talking about? Lu's team was Vancouver not Boston and they scored 8 goals in 7 games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoshawarma View Post
Luongo isn't overrated, Van just didn't have a great team. Goaltending wasn't the problem

Lol relax, Luongo won the Gold for Team Canada too
They did have a great team. They won back to back presidents trophies and lost to Boston in 2011 and LA in 2012. Both times they lost to the Cup winner. Goaltending also wasn't the problem though

Old
02-13-2017, 09:36 AM
PrinceOfPucks

Milan Lucic

Absolutely ripped off the Oilers w 7 yrs 42 million dollar contract based on reputation but anyone who saw him the last few years and this years knows he a shell of his former self. Slow as a slug and intimidation factor is gone since Prout knocked him out. I firmly believe this guy will be David Clarksson like in terms of contract and production in 2 yrs.

His body has taken a beating with the way he played his 1st 5 yrs.

PrinceOfPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
Must be so hard playing behind the best team ever. Luongo also won gold in 2010...
I watched those games. Luongo was extremely shaky. There was not one game I felt he 'dominated' in 2010. Canada could have lost that Gold medal game as Ryan Miller (ironic) was the better goalie than Luongo and he at least showed up for the game until Crosby scored to clinch it for Canada. Price however in the last Gold Medal game he was rock solid. Canada only let in 3 goals the whole tournament. Talk to me when he has accomplished that.

Old
02-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfPucks View Post
Milan Lucic

Absolutely ripped off the Oilers w 7 yrs 42 million dollar contract based on reputation but anyone who saw him the last few years and this years knows he a shell of his former self. Slow as a slug and intimidation factor is gone since Prout knocked him out. I firmly believe this guy will be David Clarksson like in terms of contract and production in 2 yrs.

His body has taken a beating with the way he played his 1st 5 yrs.
Lucic brings a lot more than his skill to the team. The fact the Oilers are winning games and he's struggling tells you he isn't the problem. Would it help if he did play like his former self? probably and it would make the Oilers a Top 5 team this year, but in terms of his presence and attitude changes in the locker room, there's no one who could help with that than Lucic.

Old
02-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
What are you talking about? Lu's team was Vancouver not Boston and they scored 8 goals in 7 games...
Yeah well, he also wasn't the solution either. 19 goals in 7 games is shameful (mind you, Schneider did takes some of those goals too) but if he was so 'good' he would have pulled those games by 1 goal differences instead of 8-1 losses...

Old
02-13-2017, 09:45 AM
ARoggy94

Quote:
I watched those games. Luongo was extremely shaky. There was not one game I felt he 'dominated' in 2010. Canada could have lost that Gold medal game as Ryan Miller (ironic) was the better goalie than Luongo and he at least showed up for the game until Crosby scored to clinch it for Canada. Price however in the last Gold Medal game he was rock solid. Canada only let in 3 goals the whole tournament. Talk to me when he has accomplished that.
You're using a small sample size where both goalies won gold. Price was also incredibly outplayed by the Latvian goalie in the round robin game

ARoggy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Hockeyisl1fe

I think we've had several threads of overrated players in recent times, but whatever, Nathan MacKinnon.

Hockeyisl1fe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:48 AM
Freedom

Voracek is in my opinion one of the most overrated players. Im czech and really like the guy but his contract is ridiculus.

Agreed with Price. Great goltender but not the best in league.

Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:51 AM
TimThomas24

I'll say Galchenyuk.

TimThomas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoggy94 View Post
You're using a small sample size where both goalies won gold. Price was also incredibly outplayed by the Latvian goalie in the round robin game
Not at all. I also talked about his performance in the cup run for Vancouver. He was supposed to be 'Brodeur' Elite, yet, he couldn't be counted on for everything. Am I saying he's a bad goalie? Heck no, but putting his name beside the greats like Brodeur, Hasek, Roy...He's not even close.

Old
02-13-2017, 09:55 AM
ARoggy94

Quote:
Not at all. I also talked about his performance in the cup run for Vancouver. He was supposed to be 'Brodeur' Elite, yet, he couldn't be counted on for everything. Am I saying he's a bad goalie? Heck no, but putting his name beside the greats like Brodeur, Hasek, Roy...He's not even close.
Who has ever placed him in that tier

ARoggy94 is offline   Reply With Quote