HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Sale to rebuild on Solid foundations?

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

vCash: 500
Fire Sale to rebuild on Solid foundations?

Let`s face it for teams like the Habs, Leafs, Blues, and so forth the problems that we`re seeing now may be deeper than we think. In the last ten years we`ve rarely seen them select high enough in the Drafts and so after years of getting nothing and only "patching" left and right grafting rejects from other teams to make the playoffs....we have the results we have now: mediocre teams and no end in sight, no futur.

As a Habs fan i`m saying enough is enough, let`s get rid of the big contracts and the soft guys that have turned this team into a no backbone minor league group and focus on making great draft picks, even if we have to finish dead last for a few years. The Senators were the worst team for so many years but it gave them the opportunity to get real talent, and now they`re this Super-Team almost exlusively composed of stars.

Get rid of Theo, Bullis, Saku, Sourey, Rivet, Zetnik, Bonk, All these veterans with big contracts that I don`t see advance this team in any way, shape or forms. Trade them for young guys and drafts picks and end the season with the Plecanek, Begin, Higgins, Boullion, Coté and so forth. Even we lose, let it be by having hardworking guys and young guys that will give it their all, with no whinings and soft plays. And let the coach use the four lines equaly over and over. In the "top players" I would only keep Ribeiro, Ryder and Markov because: Ribs don`t cost much money and could be useful on the long run; Ryder because he`s young and talented(Habs rarely have those); Markov because he rarely embarass himself, he`s in fact the perfect defenseman for the new league. I would not even have a problem with finishing the season with Huet all the way. And next year we even have a nice battle between Huet, Dannis and Price in the net.

In the summer, discipline somebody like Guillaume Latandresse by having him train like crazy so he loses weight and becomes ready for training camp. Start fresh with the young guys and maybe pick up a few hardworking tough guys from free agency and trades. I would not mind getting solid defensemen too, such as Brendan Witt, All Gill, etc...

This team needs a backbone. They need to change the whole culture of losers and laziness and pick genuine talents that will help us for many years to come. I don`t see any other ways. I don`t even want Gainey to get great players in a big stupid trade since it will only be to make the playoffs and we`re back to square one with the quick fixes. Trading Theo is not enough!

Old
02-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I am so sick of hearing this kind of argument. Enough with rebuilding. We've been rebuilding and I for one do not support the idea of tanking it to improve our draft position. We have a very highly rated minor league system. We just had a very high draft pick and very few people were satisfied with the selection. What makes you think our future ones will be any better?

Besides, we have some great young talent in the minors but for some ridiculous reason the coaching staff refuses to let them play. Why completely WASTE five years to get a few more highly rated prospects to watch from the press box?

Old
02-04-2006, 01:18 AM
Kirk Muller*

There's no need to do a fire sale.

If you consider our foundations to be Higgins, Komisarek, Chipchura and Kostyzyntizyn-zin, then doing a firesale won't change anything. These guys are all developing fairly nicely, and they,re not being slowed that much by players in front of them.

A fire sale will assure that we don't make the playoffs all the while not improving our foundations much. If we don't do a fire sale, we will still have our central core of prospects on whom we're counting for the future, plus a chance at the playoffs.

Old
02-04-2006, 03:04 AM
Habsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller
There's no need to do a fire sale.

If you consider our foundations to be Higgins, Komisarek, Chipchura and Kostyzyntizyn-zin, then doing a firesale won't change anything. These guys are all developing fairly nicely, and they,re not being slowed that much by players in front of them.

A fire sale will assure that we don't make the playoffs all the while not improving our foundations much. If we don't do a fire sale, we will still have our central core of prospects on whom we're counting for the future, plus a chance at the playoffs.

1- Good luck trying to make the playoffs w this bunch. THEY are the reason we're losing 3 out of every 4 games! Its obvious we're getting absolutely nowhere w them; esp not the playoffs. Thats why he's suggesting the firesale. But we'll be stuck w this lineup anyways so we'll be left to see if they make the playoffs regardless !

2- I think the loafers ARE slowing the development of the rookies. As the 1st poster said: there is a " culture of losers and laziness " and I agree it creates an awful environment for them. Losing generates more of the same, but again, we're stuck w this lineup...

3- Mtl may have to wait for the trade deadline anyways before they can actually move anyone and the playoffs will be a dream from 2005 by then. Bec only our good players have any value we'll be stuck w throwing the poor ones in as extras or for picks most likely....and maybe buy out 1 or 2.

I agree w Kimota: this team needs backbone desperately. Now, perhaps a complete firesale is not in order, but at least 3 forwards and 2 defensemen IMO.

Alot of people here figure we may as well play the young guys to help their development along bec theres nothing to lose, esp now.

Old
02-04-2006, 03:05 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Good franchises don't need firesales, IMO. In fact, real firesales typically only come along when teams have had some combination of (a) recent serious mismanagement and (b) financial hardship. The Washington, Pittsburgh, St.Louis-type situations are teams that typically go wire-to-wire struggling, have no hopes or expectations at any point throughout the season, and are often also in the midst of ownership changes, etc.

I don't see the Habs in that situation.

In the modern NHL with expanded free agency, and with the ability to scoop great draft picks without always having top 10 picks (e.g. Ottawa and Philly, New Jersey and Detroit in later rounds), it's not essential that teams rebuild purely through the draft or go through firesales prior to rebuilding, IMO. It's a loser mentality, and I don't think the Habs are in any way shape or form lined up for that. Our finances are ok, there are already enough young players in the system, the team is only a handful of points out of a playoff spot, and for the most part the fans and management just wouldn't stand for a firesale anyway. Our management has made a few fiddly little moves that are open to question, but I don't think one could say the team has been mismanaged into the ground.

So basically, the whole firesale scenario is for fans of fantasy hockey only, IMO. It's a waste of time in most real-world situations, including ours.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 02-04-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old
02-04-2006, 03:33 AM
Go Habs Go

Everything starts from the draft, the development of our own players. Signing free agents isn't the solution. Making trades will probably address certain issues but most likely won't make us that much stronger, not enough to give this team a 180 degree turnaround. Every team that is successful has a core of players that they depend on and usully those are players that they've drafted themselves and have molded them to their needs. The reason why we suck is because our drafting has been horrid for the last...what? 10, 15 years? We need that franchise player to build the team around. Koivu is a great player and I love him but he's not a franchise player. Can we make a trade for this missing player? Probably not, who in their right mind want to give up this type of player. I think we're pretty much screwed until one day we find that one gem in the draft or somehow totally rip off some team in a ridiculous trade (don't hold your breath).

Old
02-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

We should get more for our underachievers as the trade deadline get closer. Because more and more of their contracts will be paid for this year.

Old
02-04-2006, 08:53 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131

Besides, we have some great young talent in the minors but for some ridiculous reason the coaching staff refuses to let them play. Why completely WASTE five years to get a few more highly rated prospects to watch from the press box?
Who are you talking about? Everyone who is eligible to play in the NHL, is on the team. What kids besides Perezhogin are not getting a regular shift, and yet he had his chance earlier in the year and blew it by taking ******** penalties and playing lazy.

Latendresse is a stiff. Kosty is not ready. Everyone else is not signed. Who are these great prospects in the minors that are not playing?

How many rookies can one team carry? We have had no less tha 10 rookies spend substantial time on the NHL roster this year.

Closed Thread