HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers at Blue Jackets - February 13

View Poll Results: Three stars at Columbus
J. Miller 6 8.11%
K. Hayes 64 86.49%
J. Fast 1 1.35%
C. Kreider 2 2.70%
D. Stepan 0 0%
O. Lindberg 2 2.70%
J. Vesey 57 77.03%
M. Zuccarello 0 0%
M. Grabner 4 5.41%
R. Nash 4 5.41%
P. Buchnevich 0 0%
M. Zibanejad 2 2.70%
D. Girardi 15 20.27%
K. Klein 1 1.35%
M. Staal 1 1.35%
N. Holden 0 0%
R. McDonagh 1 1.35%
B. Skjei 2 2.70%
A. Raanta 59 79.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2017, 10:02 PM
mike14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
How many games in A row have we given up 30 plus shots now.

Were winning..sure.. It it sure feels like smoke and mirrors with the sheer number of chances were giving up and the flukey goals we are scouring
Strangly enough, the last time we lost Jan 31 against CBJ when we gave up 6 goals on 26 shots.

In the same timeframe we've only had less than 30 shots once

Old
02-13-2017, 10:05 PM
Siddi

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Officer Friendly View Post
That's just what I remembered I didn't go searching for it
Yeah, The notion about Hank getting the easy games is getting old.

Old
02-13-2017, 10:05 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
That's more than 2 seasons ago and points-wise it's at worst tied with then. Through 55 it was tied, not sure if we won the 56th game two seasons ago. Literally, as poor as our advanced stats are, this team could have won the Presidents' trophy two years ago. We're on pace for for almost 110 points. We had 113 points that season. Also, consider that this was Lundqvist's toughest start to the season and that season he was pretty solid all the way through. Plus our competition in the division was less tough that year. Just amazing how much more competitive the the top of the league is this year.

Old
02-13-2017, 10:08 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
How many games in A row have we given up 30 plus shots now.

Were winning..sure.. It it sure feels like smoke and mirrors with the sheer number of chances were giving up and the flukey goals we are scouring
I don't think we're scoring that many fluky goals. Today the flukiest goal was scored by the Jackets. 32 shots is a bit above average, it's not that crazy.

Old
02-13-2017, 10:14 PM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather 4 Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten View Post
great win, I don't agree with people here wanting the rangers to lose for an easier playoff opponent, it's a losers mentality imo
Well, at this point in the season I agree. I want them to win every game right now.

However, if we're down to the last game or two and we can either see the Penguins or the Canadiens/Senators in round 1 depending on the outcome, I would have no problem hoping for the easier matchup and easier 2nd round opponent as well.

At this point in the season though, nothing is a given, so just keep winning.

Steady game from Raanta, nice return. Hayes-Miller-Grabner is again the best line on the ice, reminiscent of Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc in 2014.

Vesey with the patented MSL goal, great effort from him.

Columbus was the only team left in the NHL to not allow a shorthanded goal, then the first they allow is to Dan Girardi. You can't make this stuff up, folks.

Old
02-13-2017, 10:25 PM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather 4 Ever

This playoff structure is a joke. Absolute joke.

Rangers are tied for 3rd place in the entire NHL but are a wildcard team because of this new system.

There is a significant chance that the Rangers or whoever from the Metro finishes in the wildcard spot will have a better record than the team they're playing in the 1st round, which is theoretically supposed to be the 2 seed in the conference.

Canadiens have 70 points and lead the Atlantic and have played 2 more games than the Rangers who have 75 points but are a wildcard team.

Just a garbage structure. Nothing was wrong with 1-8 and reseeding after each round. Now if your division is amazing like the Metro, you could come in 3rd in the Metro and also 3rd in the league and have to play the 2nd best team in the 1st round and best team in the 2nd round. That's not fair to any of the 3 teams involved. 82 games to get the best record they can and they get rewarded with a more difficult matchup than teams that finished below them in the standings are getting just because of their division.

It's possible a team would have to beat Pitt and Wash to come out of the Metro while at the same time a team has to beat 2 of Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal to come out of the Atlantic. That's garbage.

It just makes me so mad because it is such a flawed system. It's so much worse than 1-8. The 1-8 wasn't perfect but it was probably as fair as the playoff structure was ever going to be. Why not re-do the divisions the way they did and then make 1-2 the division winners and then 3-8 fill out accordingly be record? That makes SO MUCH more sense.

Old
02-13-2017, 10:26 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
Well, at this point in the season I agree. I want them to win every game right now.

However, if we're down to the last game or two and we can either see the Penguins or the Canadiens/Senators in round 1 depending on the outcome, I would have no problem hoping for the easier matchup and easier 2nd round opponent as well.

At this point in the season though, nothing is a given, so just keep winning.

Steady game from Raanta, nice return. Hayes-Miller-Grabner is again the best line on the ice, reminiscent of Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc in 2014.

Vesey with the patented MSL goal, great effort from him.

Columbus was the only team left in the NHL to not allow a shorthanded goal, then the first they allow is to Dan Girardi. You can't make this stuff up, folks.
One of my favorite random memories was in 2009, I think, the last game of the 08-09 season we were playing the Flyers. The Flyers went 81 games without giving up a shorthanded goal and they were one game away from being I believe only the second team ever to go an entire regular season without giving one up. Then Dubinsky scored a shorthanded goal and ended that.

Old
02-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather 4 Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcloud View Post
I'm asking about Raanta in the p'offs because Hank seems to be getting the starts against non playoff teams. It seems weird.
Hank just started 11 straight games before tonight.

Old
02-13-2017, 10:31 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:

Rangers are tied for 3rd place in the entire NHL but are a wildcard team because of this new system.

There is a significant chance that the Rangers or whoever from the Metro finishes in the wildcard spot will have a better record than the team they're playing in the 1st round, which is theoretically supposed to be the 2 seed in the conference.

Canadiens have 70 points and lead the Atlantic and have played 2 more games than the Rangers who have 75 points but are a wildcard team.

Just a garbage structure. Nothing was wrong with 1-8 and reseeding after each round. Now if your division is amazing like the Metro, you could come in 3rd in the Metro and also 3rd in the league and have to play the 2nd best team in the 1st round and best team in the 2nd round. That's not fair to any of the 3 teams involved. 82 games to get the best record they can and they get rewarded with a more difficult matchup than teams that finished below them in the standings are getting just because of their division.

It's possible a team would have to beat Pitt and Wash to come out of the Metro while at the same time a team has to beat 2 of Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal to come out of the Atlantic. That's garbage.

It just makes me so mad because it is such a flawed system. It's so much worse than 1-8. The 1-8 wasn't perfect but it was probably as fair as the playoff structure was ever going to be. Why not re-do the divisions the way they did and then make 1-2 the division winners and then 3-8 fill out accordingly be record? That makes SO MUCH more sense.
No kidding. When I'm at a point as to where I was at least hoping the game went into OT (so CBJ got at least 1 point), and sort of was happy and groaned when Vesey scored the go ahead goal, you know this playoff format is complete garbage.

Old
02-13-2017, 10:32 PM
Baby Punisher

I am very happy tonight. Nice win. We are on a nice little roll the past month.

Old
02-13-2017, 10:35 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:

The playoff format has been screwed up for years. How many times did we see a team from the old Southeast conference win their division with 83 points and get the third seed and play a 6 seed that had more points than them?

This new format was supposed to end that disparity. It has failed.

Old
02-13-2017, 10:37 PM
mrjiggyfly

Quote:

A traveshamockery of justice indeed

Old
02-13-2017, 11:04 PM
SnowblindNYR

I don't quite understand how with all of the complaints related to the "Southleast" division back in the day making the 6th seed one of the most coveted spots in the eastern conference the powers that be decided that what the seeding needed is even more weight for the divisions. I really hope that whomever gets the 2/3 seed and loses to the Pens in the first round while getting significantly more points than the pathetic Atlantic winner, whether it's the Rangers or Jackets, complains to the league.

Old
02-13-2017, 11:12 PM
Lorb

Just have to be ready for the ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping pingu pingus.

Old
02-13-2017, 11:15 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

At the end of the day two of the top 4 teams in the league will be playing in the first round and one will go home. Really tough to swallow.

Old
02-13-2017, 11:26 PM
SnowblindNYR

BTW, sometimes our fans like to give Kevin Hayes a hard time, but even at his worst you can think to yourself at least he's not his brother who has 4 points (2 goals and 2 assists) in 43 games. Seems like the rare time we get the talented brother (remember Marcel Hossa and Fedor Fedorov?).

Old
02-13-2017, 11:32 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
I guess cause I've written so much on this subject, I'm to the point I'm pretty much jaded about the subject now.

Bottom line is you know a system is flawed when a team(ie Rangers) doing it's absolute best and it's fan base wanting them to do their best ends up being to the detriment of the teams chances of winning a championship.

That's not the way sports is supposed to be. That's not the way I grew up playing sports either. It was always do your best and you'll be rewarded.

Well the current playoff system isn't set up to reward doing your best. And in fact it can be argued, it's in your best interests not to do your true best but do just good enough.

That my friends is wrong....very wrong. Sad thing about it is the owners are making tons of money and I don't think the NHL is going to do a thing about it either.

It is what it is. We'll need to put our big boy pants on and somehow need to pull off a miracle and beat the Pens first round otherwise we and our 110+ points are going home before the calender even gets to May again....uggggggg

Old
02-13-2017, 11:42 PM
PMII
Brännström

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
BTW, sometimes our fans like to give Kevin Hayes a hard time, but even at his worst you can think to yourself at least he's not his brother who has 4 points (2 goals and 2 assists) in 43 games. Seems like the rare time we get the talented brother (remember Marcel Hossa and Fedor Fedorov?).
cam talbot
colton orr
brian boyle

yeah pretty common

02-13-2017, 11:48 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna Nanu View Post
cam talbot
colton orr
brian boyle

yeah pretty common
They had brothers that played in the NHL?

Old
02-13-2017, 11:48 PM
PMII
Brännström

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
They had brothers that played in the NHL?
max talbot
bobby orr
dan boyle

Old
02-13-2017, 11:52 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
max talbot
bobby orr
dan boyle
Alright, wiseass.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
-Col. Sanders
Old
02-13-2017, 11:57 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
max talbot
bobby orr
dan boyle
I thought that that may be where you were going with this, but Max Talbot kind of hurts the joke as he was never anything special.

Old
02-13-2017, 11:58 PM
PMII
Brännström

oh **** forgot marc staal

Old
02-14-2017, 12:06 AM
nyrleetch

Cam Talbot>>>Max Talbot

Old
02-14-2017, 12:29 AM
aufheben
Global Moderator
#RIPClendening

vCash: 69
The Rangers would still play Montreal in 1-8, without home ice though in WC1 though.

Closed Thread