HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is the NHL by far the most boring of the NA sports?

Old
02-16-2017, 10:14 PM
HanSolo
RIP, Leia

vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs94 View Post
Everyone is such a homer here.

Objectively at the moment Basketball is better entertainment to the average person, not you hockey nerds. The superstars are more marketable the players actually have character and can speak their mind.

Objectively hockey is in between football and baseball in terms of excitement for the average person, footballs whole thing is that is so exciting and a big play can happend st any time. Basketball is at the top in terms of entertainment.

Hockey in the 2000s and 90s was a different beast though, those were entertaining times
If there's any way to convey your point, it's to call your audience nerds.

Bravo

02-16-2017, 10:51 PM
foxygen

vCash: 500
After 14 pages, this thread has shown us that.........individual preferences on entertainment may vary.

foxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 10:56 PM
DanZ

I'll bet a 100 bucks the NBA finals is Cleveland/Golden State

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 10:57 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs94 View Post
Everyone is such a homer here.

Objectively at the moment Basketball is better entertainment to the average person, not you hockey nerds. The superstars are more marketable the players actually have character and can speak their mind.

Objectively hockey is in between football and baseball in terms of excitement for the average person, footballs whole thing is that is so exciting and a big play can happend st any time. Basketball is at the top in terms of entertainment.

Hockey in the 2000s and 90s was a different beast though, those were entertaining times
Basketball is objectively far too predictable. It's not exciting to me when you already know who will be in the finals.

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 11:53 PM
Ice Garden
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
I'll bet a 100 bucks the NBA finals is Cleveland/Golden State
How much for Golden State / Raptors?

Ice Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:01 AM
GrandmaSlices51631

This is all opinion based but...

I don't see how these hardwood accolades make Hockey boring.

Baseball is a total bore, no matter how you cut it.

Football is exciting but too much start/stop.

Basketball has gone way downhill since the 90's if you ask me.

Just because some NBA players are putting up big numbers on paper doesn't translate to the game being superior to hockey. Sure some of these numbers are odd but ultimately it comes down to what YOU find exciting.

GrandmaSlices51631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:02 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

The only reason I would ever watch more than one quarter of basketball is to hang out with one or more friends, or because I have a personal relationship with one or more people actually playing in the game. Because the rules and the reffing ensure that basically no defense is played, only the 4th quarter matters in games worth watching. Every game is either a blowout or decided in the 4th quarter.

Hockey, baseball, and football (either American or World) are far more intense because any given play could be the decisive play. American football less so now that they've apparently taken to officiating as though the NBA is something to be admired or emulated.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:07 AM
Karl with a C

vCash: 990
First of all, basketball is rigged and everyone knows it. Literally. It's just a common thing that fans have to accept.

Baseball is great but it's completely during the offseason of hockey, except playoffs, so it's no competition.

Football isn't so much a sport as it is a Wrestlemania-esque TV show

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 02:55 AM
EastEnderVan
Rookie User

The NFL season was pretty dire this year, though the fourth quarter of the Superbowl was fairly interesting. The CFL is fairly dull I have to say.

There are definitely more boring North American sports than the NHL, which in my mind, is exciting.

EastEnderVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 03:27 AM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwelfth View Post
To some extent this is true. Any type of excentric personality gets quelled quickly (Subban, Hertl to some extent), the hard salary cap makes big trades very hard and rare (just like in the NFL), and the game is extremely defensive at the moment. Some rule change probably have to happen, similarly to how the state of the NBA in the 60's before they added the shot clock.
The nhl has so many obvious problems that need to be addressed. Chief amoung them the lack of scoring.

However, fundamentally nhl hockey is the most exciting sport. Fast, aggressive, hard hitting, breathtaking plays, and still the odd fight. Its like soccer but better in most ways and soccer is the world's most popular sport.

Basketball looks too easy imo. If being tall and hitting a stationary target with no goalie floats your boat more power to you but it just doesn't do it fot me.

Baseball is too slow and more of a game than a sport.

Football is my second favorite but just does not hold my attention like it used too.

Soccer is too slow, the athletes too well matched, and its hard to respect players that pretend to be hit and hurt all the time.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:36 AM
PanniniClaus

If you watched the Senators/Devils tonight, and perhaps Sens vs anyone going forward, you would say the NHL is an awful product.

Thankfully many more teams try to play hockey which still makes it a great sport to watch.

I like the NBA - the quickness and athleticism is stunning.

The NFL was always my 1B to hockey but the NFL has hit hard times....the off ice conduct, deflate gate, lack of QB's, high number of injuries, too many commercials etc - it's taking a toll.

Baseball benefits from the time of year it is played and cheap ticket prices. It is a remarkable game when you break it down. Does not always lend itself well to TV in mid August but it is breathtaking stuff by the post season.

The Premier League probably offers the most entertainment from the start of the season to the finish but one needs to appreciate soccer to agree with this.

In summary - each sport has it's warts....Guy Boucher is one of the biggest warts the NHL has right now.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Eye Floater

Lol, no.

There's a sport called baseball where a bunch of guys stand around not doing anything.

And then there's basketball where the same thing happens over and over and over for the whole game, and you know exactly which team is going to win each game.

Eye Floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Mcikinzom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl with a C View Post
First of all, basketball is rigged and everyone knows it. Literally. It's just a common thing that fans have to accept.

Baseball is great but it's completely during the offseason of hockey, except playoffs, so it's no competition.

Football isn't so much a sport as it is a Wrestlemania-esque TV show
You say with absolute certainty that the NBA is rigged yet convince yourself that the other sport you watch is clean and free of corruption?

Mcikinzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Trap Jesus

The NBA is awful IMO. There is zero parity. As a Raptors fan, do you think they have a legitimate shot at beating Cleveland? Because they don't, and they're one of the best teams in the East.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

The NFL is terrible.

Try watching an NFL game instead of Red Zone. Its absolute torture. Product only matters because of Red zone and fantasy football.

NBA is good for a few games and the playoffs.

MLB is good when you are at the game and already drunk.

The only thing stopping the NHL is.....well.....a lot of things....but the core product is good. One of the biggest factors is here in the US we don't having anything like TSN that seems to me (at least relatively speaking) to do a great job with presentation of NHL games.

We have NBCSN with Milbury, Roenick, and that other guy. Its odd when there are commenators/announcer specifc to each team that are way better than the national ones (outside of Doc Emrick).

I think the NHL could use two more Canadian teams. BUT NOT AT THE COST OF MOVING SOUTHERN TEAMS

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:04 PM
ArWKo

vCash: 620
No, that would be baseball. And look, I enjoy baseball as much as the next guy but it is often slow and boring for long stretches, but you don't necessarily watch it for non-stop excitement, and when there are exciting moments they're right up there with the best in any sport.

Even if you want to argue that the NHL is somehow more boring than baseball, I don't think there's literally any convincing argument that it's "by far" more boring.

ArWKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:04 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
I think as it has been mention quite clearly in this thread, but every sport has their pros and cons.

NHL: Lack of good marketing team and too much parity can kill any excitement for the hardcore NHL fan. NHL has also killed any potential major growth by one and half lockouts and are willing to avoid the Olympics next year killing an international perspective to the game. The game gets slowed down by goal reviews. Additionally, a lack of exposure at the grassroot level is a main reason why there isn't more of a following.

NBA: Opposite side of the spectrum where the parity is a disaster and lower seed playoff teams this season will HAVE a losing record. It's also a sport where there are normally only two good teams that you can bet on every year in Vegas to make the finals. And two players who get shoved down the general sports fans throats constantly. The sport gets slowed down by some of the worst two final minutes in any single sport.

NFL: Researchers concluded that a sport which takes three and half to four hours of time to finish has 11 minutes of pure time of action. Then include the NFL's shady nature of hiding concussion and spinal cord injuries while promoting some one-sided political views which have nothing to do with the game itself. They're at the peak of the audience, but numbers have been going down and with that many commercial breaks, people are starting to understand that the sport isn't anything special.

MLB: Pretty much the king of people who are desperately bored. The game itself is dying, but that won't stop people going 198 times a season and get as drunk as they physically can without being arrested for public intoxication. The other half of baseball fans are normally mathematicians, financial advisors, accountants, or analysts who enjoy the number side of the game. While the rest of the general sports fans only catch the World Series.

As you can see here, the NHL might not be the best ran organization and people might consider it boring. But it's not like any other one has the entertainment factor either. It normally comes down to which type of categories you like as it will ultimately overcome the sports negative aspects. If you like momentum fluctuations and unpredictability, hockey is your sport. If you like a more casual aspect joining a team in the middle and not needing to understand the rules, basketball. If you love a mental battle between players, baseball. If you want to see an athletic display that isn't individuals like wrestling, but in a team atmosphere, throwball is your sport.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Heinze 57

The thing hockey has going for it is it is exponentially better in person than on TV. The NFL, on the other hand, is worse in person than on TV.

An NBA game doesn't mean anything until there's 5 minutes left. Baseball is my second favorite sport, but you can tune out of the season for weeks at a time and not miss a thing. Going to a baseball game is just a chill way to pass some time. Watching baseball on TV is just something to have on in the background while you do other things.

hockey though? I hang on every pass, shot, save goal my team makes. I watch every game and I don't have that with my other sports teams. I also find the process and strategy of building a winning hockey team far more interesting than any of the other sports.

Do I think the NHL is "boring"? No, in fact I think the league has some of the most exciting players right now than its had in a long long time. Scoring is way up last I saw and I've watched more out of market games this year than ever before. It's better now with all the young stars than it was 10 years ago when you had Crosby, Ovechkin, and the rest of the league felt like plugs and grinders. I like where we are as a league and sport much better than I did then.

Plus, with gamecenter, center ice, NHL Network, easily accessible analytics, the social media communities, etc etc there has literally never been a better time to be a hockey fan.

Heinze 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKappa View Post
I'll start by saying that hockey is my favorite sport for sure. Basketball is really fun to watch but hockey still edges it out for me. And football and baseball barely hold my attention at all. I still barely know the rules to both the sports. The MLB in particular rarely gets my attention at all, the most fun I had had with baseball was probably in Wii Sports, yet the much hyped finals kept my attention much more than the snoozefest NHL finals. Even when it looked like the Cubs had no chance of coming back. The NFL, a league I mostly follow just to look at the scandals and funny storylines occassionally. Delivered actually quite a exhilarating season with the greatest finals I have ever witnessed in any sport in history (Although 2016 NBA finals and 2010 Gold Medal game come close. And the NBA, as a raptors fan I probably expose myself to the NBA quite a lot. And in the last 8 months...
- a 73-9 team blew a 3-1 lead in the finals
- A generational talent pulled a lebron in a arguably worse fashion.
- Westbrook is AVERAGING A TRIPLE DOUBLE
- Harden is also putting up historic numbers
- SOMEONE GOT 60 POINTS WHILE ONLY HOLDING THE BALL FOR 90 seconds
- Green got a triple double with steals
- Historical Draft upcoming

I can go on and on about how exhilarating this NBA season has been, my point is that the NHL has had very little excitement despite the influx of young talent. Part of it is that hockey, more often than not is just boring to watch. Even being the fan of one of a team full of young exicting talent. I just find the product of hockey exciting maybe about 50% of the time. Is this boredom of hockey just me or has it been commonplace for people on this board?

I don't know, I can't put my finger on it, maybe its just the lack of goals or the lack of storylines? I can't be the only one who feels this way.

EDIT: Well, probably not the best place to ask this question

EDIT2: Let me reiterate my argument in a more cohesive way. The product of the NHL has become boring due to a lack of personalises, drama and story lines. The on-ice product is often somewhat boring as coaches and defensive systems and the refusal to call penalties are slowing fazing goals out of circulation. and a complete lack of big trades and free agents signings make the off-season ridiculously boring.
I didn't read this original thread, but I saw "harden" in there, realized it might have been about the NBA and spaced hard. Can anyone confirm?

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 03:42 PM
stampedingviking

You're not going to like this, but the main problem with NA sports is the amount of adverts.

TV timeouts are just taking the mickey, wait until the end of a period/half time or whatever.

Baseball = rounders for grown ups, too slow by far.
American football = rugby with armour but no where near as good.
Basketball = freaks running backwards and forwards scoring a gazillion points every game.

Ice hockey and (proper) football are easily the most exciting.

stampedingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 04:18 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampedingviking View Post
You're not going to like this, but the main problem with NA sports is the amount of adverts.

TV timeouts are just taking the mickey, wait until the end of a period/half time or whatever.

Baseball = rounders for grown ups, too slow by far.
American football = rugby with armour but no where near as good.
Basketball = freaks running backwards and forwards scoring a gazillion points every game.

Ice hockey and (proper) football are easily the most exciting.
It is a cultural thing and I don't think, we are supposed to get it? Right?

American sports fans are fine to sit around a baseball game for seven hours as long as the jerseys look just like the ones in the 20s.

European fans are fine having ice hockey jerseys look like the Picadilly Circus, but will require you to give them a reasonable timeline on when this thing will be concluded.

Did you see that one FC Liverpool docu series, where the team went to the US for training camp/marketing tour and took in a Red Sox game, because same owner, and after 4 hours Gerrard asked them what the **** was the matter with them?

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 04:33 PM
TheSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Garden View Post
Why do you care if we bad mouth other sports/leagues?
Because it reeks of an inferiority complex.

TheSituation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinze 57 View Post
The thing hockey has going for it is it is exponentially better in person than on TV. The NFL, on the other hand, is worse in person than on TV.

An NBA game doesn't mean anything until there's 5 minutes left. Baseball is my second favorite sport, but you can tune out of the season for weeks at a time and not miss a thing. Going to a baseball game is just a chill way to pass some time. Watching baseball on TV is just something to have on in the background while you do other things.

hockey though? I hang on every pass, shot, save goal my team makes. I watch every game and I don't have that with my other sports teams. I also find the process and strategy of building a winning hockey team far more interesting than any of the other sports.

Do I think the NHL is "boring"? No, in fact I think the league has some of the most exciting players right now than its had in a long long time. Scoring is way up last I saw and I've watched more out of market games this year than ever before. It's better now with all the young stars than it was 10 years ago when you had Crosby, Ovechkin, and the rest of the league felt like plugs and grinders. I like where we are as a league and sport much better than I did then.

Plus, with gamecenter, center ice, NHL Network, easily accessible analytics, the social media communities, etc etc there has literally never been a better time to be a hockey fan.
I actually prefer hockey on TV, but maybe that's just me. Live I dunno ... a lot of the goals feel like they're flukely or something. They lack that "impact" ... I dunno.

I think NBA honestly is the most entertaining live. There's less separation between the players and fans.

Actually though for me, and I'm probable a rarity my favorite sports to watch are NHL and NBA (and NCAA March Madness basketball).

Why? Because in terms of pace they are similar ... back and forth, you have to play both offence and defence, etc.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Casanova

vCash: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
The NBA is awful IMO. There is zero parity. As a Raptors fan, do you think they have a legitimate shot at beating Cleveland? Because they don't, and they're one of the best teams in the East.
I believe in Ibaka!

Casanova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 06:34 PM
No More Subban

Lol hockey fans.. get over it. I think most are just mad because hockey will never be as popular as basketball and because basketball gets more coverage and attention globally. You know this is the truth.

And this is coming from a fan of both NHL and NBA.

No More Subban is offline   Reply With Quote