HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is the NHL by far the most boring of the NA sports?

Old
02-15-2017, 12:55 AM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

vCash: 500
Idk, I find basketball hard to watch regardless of the storylines ESPN is shoving down everyone's throats. Guys in the NBA just seem so apathetic for a lot of the game. It's a lot more accessible and easier to understand for most Americans though so they've got that going well for themselves.

Once people understand hockey and can either attend a game in person or play a little themselves they seem to be hooked from my experience. Without this, the average viewer often does tune out pretty quickly though.

Montanaheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 12:57 AM
Esko6

Perspective of someone who does not understand these sports:

Baseball as an event seems like a good time, eat some hot dogs and chill. As a sport it seems to very dull. Finnish baseball seems more interesting as you are not allowed to just hit the ball out of the park.

American Football has fascinating strategy, but there are too many players and too many weird special position players. Way too much down time. Also football fans take it way too seriously and people tend to give NFL players godlike abilities, it bugs me.

Basketball is a freakshow, I prefer sports where you can be a player with hard work even without being 3 standard deviations above the mean in height. Every game looks the same, this is by far my least favourite of the three.

I would probably go watch Baseball.

Esko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:04 AM
aufheben
Global Moderator
#RIPClendening

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaheim View Post
Idk, I find basketball hard to watch regardless of the storylines ESPN is shoving down everyone's throats. Guys in the NBA just seem so apathetic for a lot of the game. It's a lot more accessible and easier to understand for most Americans though so they've got that going well for themselves.

Once people understand hockey and can either attend a game in person or play a little themselves they seem to be hooked from my experience. Without this, the average viewer often does tune out pretty quickly though.
This is why I say the biggest issue with attracting fans isn't scoring or gameplay, but the most fundamental aspects of hockey.

aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:04 AM
Josepho
Lethargy

Send a message via Skype™ to Josepho
Joe's official Big 4 League Power Rankings.

4. MLB. Let me first say that I respect the sport of baseball. I just find it boring as hell and I hate the idea of a league with literally no salary cap where the Red Sox and Yankees can get all the high profile UFAs. Also, 162 games is just insane. However, I do watch in October and I respect the parity of the league.

3. NBA. Basketball is an extremely entertaining sport when it's competitive and meaningful, I have no problem admitting that. As others in this thread have mentioned, I hate the idea of knowing that the winner will be one of two teams. But the NBA Finals last year was entertaining and Game 7 was probably the best game I've ever seen of any sport. If they can develop a stricter salary cap, I will unhesitantly tune in to more basketball.

2. NFL. I love football. It's really that simple. It's a great league and it's not blatantly obvious who's going to win. I enjoyed watching the Ravens way more than I have with the Canucks this year. But the reason it's behind the NHL is because of the low amount of games, as well as the fact that the stop-and-start nature of it can get annoying.

1. NHL. I post here religiously and I've been a complete nerd about the sport since I was a 4 year old. It's a high-energy and unpredictable game, a combination no other league has. My life would be drastically different without hockey and the game is unquestionably my favourite thing on the planet.

Last edited by Josepho: 02-15-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Josepho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:05 AM
Mikeshane
Glass Bangers Rock

NBA is garbage and boring as hell, no flow just play timeout, play timeout, play timeout.

The NFL was weak this season, did you watch anything beside the Superbowl? All the 1st round playoff games sucked.

MLB isn't bad in the playoffs but the meaningless torture of 162 games is bogus.

Mikeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:08 AM
SI90

I love all sports. I was the best at baseball and football but hockey was and is by far my favorite sport. I think it's the best sport to watch live and requires the most skill. It's the only major sport that you have to be great at something that isn't natural(skating).

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:19 AM
dechire
Janmark Enthusiast

vCash: 50
I couldn't care less about "storylines" in sports. Hockey is faster paced and more interesting to watch than any other major sport imo. That's not going to change just because some basketball team has a big comeback or whatever.

dechire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:21 AM
WrinkledPossum

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKappa View Post
EDIT2: Let me reiterate my argument in a more cohesive way. The product of the NHL has become boring due to a lack of personalises, drama and story lines. The on-ice product is often somewhat boring as coaches and defensive systems and the refusal to call penalties are slowing fazing goals out of circulation. and a complete lack of big trades and free agents signings make the off-season ridiculously boring.
This is what I like about the NHL. There's nobody trying make an ill-informed political statement. There are nearly no stories about players dating celebrities, partying, or any other story that delves into an athletes personal life.

I just wanna watch sports, not a reality TV show.

Oh, and there's more big trades in the NHL than in any other sport.

WrinkledPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:23 AM
TheSituation

Hockey players are by far the most boring personalities in North American sports.

TheSituation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:26 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

If by most 'boring' you mean most 'entertaining and exciting', then yes, I agree...

02-15-2017, 01:26 AM
AvroArrow
#CaptainMorgan

MLB is the most boring for me. Games can be extremely slow at times, some innings last 30 minutes, too many breaks in between. But asking this on a hockey forum, probably not the best way to get the answer you're looking for

AvroArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:27 AM
Breakers

I have no flipping idea how the NBA continues to grow.

* they have the most ridiculous salary cap I have ever seen to the point where guys no one has ever heard of are getting $70+ million dollar contracts for playing less than 5 minutes a game

* you have absolutely stacked teams

* star players complain about EVERYTHING.

Breakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:36 AM
SwissLeaf

SwissLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
From most to least entertaining to me:

Good hockey game
Good baseball game
Good football game
Bad hockey game
Good basketball game
Bad football game
Bad basketball game
Bad baseball game

I've really never gotten into basketball.
I'd put "bad hockey game" above "good baseball game". The rest seems to be right for me as well.

SwissLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:36 AM
Steamwhistle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakers View Post
I have no flipping idea how the NBA continues to grow.

* they have the most ridiculous salary cap I have ever seen to the point where guys no one has ever heard of are getting $70+ million dollar contracts for playing less than 5 minutes a game

* you have absolutely stacked teams

* star players complain about EVERYTHING.
There are currently only 22 contracts that carry a guaranteed salary of over 70 million over their career and those are all stars save for a couple guys like Fournier or Parsons who were overpaid by their teams. Also, the median cost of contract in the NBA is $2.2 million, so yeah that's that. There's a couple stacked teams but it's a game played with only 5 players at a time, it's not the same game as hockey and it's a star driven league. The whole "star players complain about everything" is just laughable, but I'm used to hearing it about the NBA because of how selective people are in choosing what they dislike and are often ignorant to other aspects of the game.

Steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:46 AM
High five Tom

As a life long Bruins and Hockey fan I can honestly say, I get more excited now for football then hockey.

High five Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:54 AM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esko6 View Post
Perspective of someone who does not understand these sports:

Baseball as an event seems like a good time, eat some hot dogs and chill. As a sport it seems to very dull. Finnish baseball seems more interesting as you are not allowed to just hit the ball out of the park.

American Football has fascinating strategy, but there are too many players and too many weird special position players. Way too much down time. Also football fans take it way too seriously and people tend to give NFL players godlike abilities, it bugs me.

Basketball is a freakshow, I prefer sports where you can be a player with hard work even without being 3 standard deviations above the mean in height. Every game looks the same, this is by far my least favourite of the three.

I would probably go watch Baseball.
Hockey fans worship 18 year old boys and anoint them after a few good games. Hockey fan hypocrisy once again.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:55 AM
Philadelphia Ducks
Win it for Ed

no, baseball is

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:57 AM
IslesNorway

All other NA sport BUT hockey are dead boring. There are no sports in the world less interesting to watch than (American) football and baseball - It's on par with watching paint dry.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:00 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Basketball is absolutely unwatchable. Whistle after whistle after whistle after whistle. It never ends. The last 2 minutes takes like 30 real minutes and the same teams win the championship every year with a passing of the torch every decade or so. Playoff hockey still has intensity. By far the best playoff system of any league. You have to really grind your way through to win a Cup(I know basketball has the same system, but the first 2 rounds are meaningless because there's no parity and the higher seed wins every single time. It's just a matter of how many games it takes them). The Cup is the most difficult of the titles to win. Nothing compares.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:25 AM
Casanova

vCash: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1562 View Post
NBA is awful for parity. It's a 2 team league Cleveland and Golden State. In the NHL the race to the playoffs is so tight and any team can make it to the playoffs and go on a run to the Cup.
Last year OKC almost bested GSW, but choked and lost a 3-1 lead. They had Durant and Westbrook, among others. Also, you have Spurs with insane depth and great defence and Houston with the Beard. Sure, the parity is worse than the NHL, but it isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:31 AM
SupremeTeam16
5-14-6-1

Basketball is pretty bad to watch and overall it's not really fun to watch when at the start of the season you know with about a 98% certainty which two teams are going to end up in the NBA final.

Baseball as well is pretty boring to watch, they need to figure out a way to speed it up. And here comes the pitch oh and the batter calls time and steps out of the box. Two minutes later here comes the pitch oh an now the pitcher and first baseman are gonna play catch for a few minutes. Like **** off and just throw the god damn ball.

SupremeTeam16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:33 AM
Sensators

I watch almost exculsively hockey, but NFL when they are actually playing is really fun, and the NBA they do some insane plays and its back and forth action brings amazing drama when games are actually close. I also don't think its a 2team league but it is definately under 5. I don't think I would get excited for it during regular season.. but WCF&Finals last year were pretty amazing to watch. Thompson hitting 3s without looking.. so amazing.

Sensators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:43 AM
randomrob7

vCash: 471
No. Only league that is more exciting is the NFL, but that's just because they limit their games to one per week.

randomrob7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:57 AM
McDrai2017
Loyal 2d Oil

baseball?w

McDrai2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 03:00 AM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrob7 View Post
No. Only league that is more exciting is the NFL, but that's just because they limit their games to one per week.
You can literally see all the action in an nfl game in 11 minutes. I fail to see how 3 hours of commercials, players walking around the field, and replays constitutes the most exciting sport in North America.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote