HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is the NHL by far the most boring of the NA sports?

Old
02-15-2017, 03:08 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
NFL and MLB exist for people with attention disorders who only want to have to watch for 10 seconds out of every minute.

The NBA is a great product right now but I still think it's irredeemably flawed near the ends of games. Deliberate fouls and teams having roughly one hundred timeouts each are the worst things in pro sports. I would watch any other sport in the world over the last two minutes of a close basketball game.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 03:13 AM
ramdm5

vCash: 500
I'd think MLS is okay but it's not interesting yet. Baseball is a children's game for grown men. American football is, at best, a boring version of rugby. And basketball is flawed at it's very core.

It's like you took the worst parts of the British sport heritage.

Hockey is a great sport but the NHL is flawed in my opinion. What hurts hockey is all the small breaks and it seems it's getting more and not less of them.

ramdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 03:18 AM
Ducks in a row
Go Ducks Quack Quack

The NHL isn't by far the most boring of NA sports it isn't the most boring at all.

Ducks in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 04:11 AM
SI90

Also, there is absolutely nothing that can match the excitement and intensity of payoff hockey.

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 04:45 AM
Honour Over Glory

I find NBA to be ridiculously boring even during the playoffs, if that league disappeared tomorrow I would never know unless someone mentioned it to me. NFL is fine, I really only ever watch the Steelers and same for Baseball for the Pirates and sometimes I couldn't care less about Baseball even during the playoffs and same for the Superbowl, it's meh most of the time.

But the NHL? I can turn on the tv and check who is playing and be entertained and see an entertaining game, in the playoffs even the battles for teams I despise are games I will watch here and there.

It's odd to me to hear anyone think that the NHL is the most boring. The NBA & NFL are so top heavy for teams, it's boring, you can pick 1 team in each league and you'd be 50% right for them being in the finals, for Baseball at least there's some surprises and then there's the NHL where it's a hard fought battle each playoff round.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 04:50 AM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

In the regular season, baseball is by far the most boring to me. Too many games, slow, and not enough flow.

In the post season though, I have been engaged by all four NA pro sports at different times.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 05:13 AM
Moorpheus
|GERMAN/IDEALISM\

Boreball is awful, not even a sport really.

NFL is a sjw league with like 10 minutes of game play for 3 hours, no thanks.

Basketball can have it's moments but now it's an oligarchy with 3-4 good teams that can win it every year, so it's pointless.

Hockey remains the best sport but the marketing of the game is bad.

Moorpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 05:20 AM
Bruce Joker
Professor X

NBA is by far the most boring until the conference finals. You could say the same for the NHL. But at least NHL has some entertaining games in the regular season

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 05:24 AM
ijuka

None of the other I can endure for longer than 30 seconds. NHL I watch regularly.

Hence, the answer is no. But the only 2 sports I really care about in the first place are hockey and figure skating. And some track and field.

"Football" I've always considered silly and boring and I know nothing more dull than Basketball. Except Soccer, I guess. And Baseball, I guess. None of these are worth spending my time watching at all.

ijuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 05:34 AM
Bruce Joker
Professor X

I wonder why op made this in a hockey forum lol

Bruce Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 05:38 AM
Signature
Real Maple Syrupô

The sport is amazing. The professional organization's attempt to market said sport is questionable.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 05:40 AM
acor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKappa View Post
I'll start by saying that hockey is my favorite sport for sure. Basketball is really fun to watch but hockey still edges it out for me. And football and baseball barely hold my attention at all. I still barely know the rules to both the sports. The MLB in particular rarely gets my attention at all, the most fun I had had with baseball was probably in Wii Sports, yet the much hyped finals kept my attention much more than the snoozefest NHL finals. Even when it looked like the Cubs had no chance of coming back. The NFL, a league I mostly follow just to look at the scandals and funny storylines occassionally. Delivered actually quite a exhilarating season with the greatest finals I have ever witnessed in any sport in history (Although 2016 NBA finals and 2010 Gold Medal game come close. And the NBA, as a raptors fan I probably expose myself to the NBA quite a lot. And in the last 8 months...
- a 73-9 team blew a 3-1 lead in the finals
- A generational talent pulled a lebron in a arguably worse fashion.
- Westbrook is AVERAGING A TRIPLE DOUBLE
- Harden is also putting up historic numbers
- SOMEONE GOT 60 POINTS WHILE ONLY HOLDING THE BALL FOR 90 seconds
- Green got a triple double with steals
- Historical Draft upcoming

I can go on and on about how exhilarating this NBA season has been, my point is that the NHL has had very little excitement despite the influx of young talent. Part of it is that hockey, more often than not is just boring to watch. Even being the fan of one of a team full of young exicting talent. I just find the product of hockey exciting maybe about 50% of the time. Is this boredom of hockey just me or has it been commonplace for people on this board?

I don't know, I can't put my finger on it, maybe its just the lack of goals or the lack of storylines? I can't be the only one who feels this way.

EDIT: Well, probably not the best place to ask this question

EDIT2: Let me reiterate my argument in a more cohesive way. The product of the NHL has become boring due to a lack of personalises, drama and story lines. The on-ice product is often somewhat boring as coaches and defensive systems and the refusal to call penalties are slowing fazing goals out of circulation. and a complete lack of big trades and free agents signings make the off-season ridiculously boring.
Nope. Its most exciting, and BY FAR... Watching baseball is like watching paint dry...
NBA is a league of big egos, when players (and "personalities", lol) means more than teams and the game itself... And European Soccer goes the same way, unfortunetly...
NFL has a really dumb fans. I was watching NFL regularly, but conversations with fans turned me off (not like everything hockey fans posts is smart, but NFL was beyond ********). They can name, on avarage, ONE player of their team, and think that player is solely responsible for teams success/failures.

Stay perfect, NHL.

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 05:47 AM
Peter Skudra
Nucks fan since '02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramdm5 View Post
I'd think MLS is okay but it's not interesting yet. Baseball is a children's game for grown men. American football is, at best, a boring version of rugby. And basketball is flawed at it's very core.

It's like you took the worst parts of the British sport heritage.

Hockey is a great sport but the NHL is flawed in my opinion. What hurts hockey is all the small breaks and it seems it's getting more and not less of them.
Pretty silly comment, you know how hard these pitchers can throw?

Peter Skudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 05:48 AM
Bizz
120% Banter

I'd rather watch a regular season NHL game between 2 last place teams than watch an MLB Playoff game. And I love Baseball.

I can't stand Basketball because it's the bottom of the big 4 in terms of reliance on team play. A team can literally have 3 superstars and fill the rest of the roster with a bunch of D-leaguers and still dominate the league.

Bizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 05:50 AM
Babe Ruth

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsHomer View Post
The NBA is garbage
Agree.
Purely subjective.. but I feel like the contemporary NBA is the most boring Big 4 pro sport right now. In it's defense tho, it is still better than the WNBA..

I rank 'em.
NFL
NHL
MLB
NBA

Babe Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 06:14 AM
Tomas W

The NHL got so many games per season hard to build the same hype for each and every game both PO and reg season.

Much like Soccer some games can be open and fun to watch, others can be filled with defensive tactics and slow and boring.

Baseball and NA football is a bit special to watch since there is constant stoppage in the play. It suits TV since the can cram in ads all the time, but it gets hard to sell that to people who havent grown up with the sports (like europeans).

Last edited by Tomas W: 02-15-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 06:29 AM
KirkAlbuquerque

NBA is unwatchable.

But the NHL really needs to make changes to improve the game

KirkAlbuquerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 06:35 AM
KoozNetsOff 92

No way. MLB is the most boring by far. Game is super slow, like 10min between a pitch. Too many games and they play the same team like 3 games straight every time. I follow and watch NFL and NBA (though NBA can be a challenge to watch because the last 2min take 25+), but MLB no way. As for the NHL, it's the league with the most parity and literally anyone can beat anyone in the playoffs so imo it's the most exciting. In the NFL and NBA it's pretty much a given that someone from a group of 3-4 teams is going to win, especially in the NBA.

European soccer
NHL
NBA/NFL

MLB

KoozNetsOff 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 06:41 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Nah, NBA. Awful league, **** sports. NCAA is bately watchable. NFL. Like a 3 hour ad showcase. College ball much better. ****, even MLB is better than these two clown shows

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:00 AM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Basketball is by far the worst sport and the boringest in existence. Football is terrible as well, so many stoppages. Baseball is alright, but not amazing.

RainierBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:03 AM
The Panther

This incredible thread has confirmed for me that different people like different sports in different degrees. It's just amazing.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:10 AM
al secord
Mustard Tiger

In football, after all of the hype and hoopla, how much of the show actually takes place on the field? Once the actual game starts, they huddle, talk about it, line up and run into eachother. Huddle again, talk about it, line up, and run into each other again.

The NBA is just a three point contest where only two teams have a shot at winning. College ball, even with the 1 and done era, is still a much better product.

Baseball isn't worth mentioning.

The NHL is a far superior brand than any of the big 4 NA sports as far as entertainment value is concerned.

al secord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:13 AM
SnoopDogg
Gin and Juice

I have ADHD so I can't stand MLB games because they're super slow and boring, but even if I didn't have it, I doubt I'd be able to watch it without flipping the channel.

The NFL is entertaining but there's only 16 games per team if you don't count the playoffs, and that's not enough for me when your team only plays once a week.

The NBA isn't really my thing either, the score just never feels "authentic" to me because teams could easily hit 100+ points per game and that's too much for me, I prefer hockey because lots of points aren't as common.

I'm really biased though since I only pay attention to the NFL and the NHL because Buffalo doesn't have an MLB or NBA team

SnoopDogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:36 AM
Jerzey Devil

It's an unpopular opinion for sure but I still think hockey is more entertaining than football which is played 10 seconds at a time, baseball which is more waiting than anything, basketball which is constant but not entertaining at all, or soccer which is like watching track and field. MMA is the only other sport I'll watch these days and even that lost my interest somewhat around 6-7 years ago.

Jerzey Devil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:36 AM
NotCommitted

I didn't read the whole thread, but the first page pretty much emphasized for me what's "wrong" with NA sports in general (in my opinion, from a European perspective) and that's 1) it's a "product" & business foremost, 2) it's all about entertainment and 3) a team is a "franchise"

A team isn't doing well in a certain market? Well, just buy them out and "relocate". Oh, ratings are not as high as you'd like them to be - well, just dumb down the game so you can try to sell hockey in some close to tropical climate to people who couldn't care less about the actual sport, but hey if it entertains me I might be interested...

Sure, all sports is largely about entertainment, but IMO that shouldn't be the #1 priority. Likewise, all pro sports are largely about business, and maybe NA is just more transparent about it in someways, but try to imagine Premiership or Serie A or La Liga 'relocating' teams. Likewise, scoring in football (or soccer or what ever you wanna call it) is very low and has always been, yet the sport seems to do ok. The passion level among fans is also in completely different tier compared to anything in NA - just watch a soccer game once and hear and see the audience. In comparison NA audiences look like it was either go watch a movie, go to the mall or catch a game, which ever happens to be convenient and entertaining. Ok, it's an exaggeration to make a point, but still.

Personally I just don't find it in me to have any sort of passion about any particular team in the NHL for example, and I've tried and even once fooled myself into thinking I actually cared about the Ducks. No, I didn't give a **** about them and my interest in the team dropped to absolute zero when certain two finns retired. In contrast, the passion & history (and to an extent even the political implications) around football teams is catching. There's just more 'soul' there.

Maybe comparison to football/soccer is unfair because football is so universal and there really isn't another team sport that can afford the attitude, and also because certain matchups are about so much more than the sport, like El Clasico for example. Actually pretty much the only team in hockey that has something going for it is Montreal Canadiens and there, aside from the heritage you also have the whole French-Canadian thing adding another element that somewhat takes it beyond entertainment & business.

NotCommitted is online now   Reply With Quote