HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is the NHL by far the most boring of the NA sports?

Old
02-15-2017, 07:39 AM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

vCash: 500
How is this even a question, when one of the "sports" is Baseball?

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:47 AM
JackSlater

As long as baseball exists hockey can't be the most boring. Football can be exciting, but a big part of that is the way it's presented. You can usually find one or two exciting games on Sunday, but the average game isn't great. Basketball can be more exciting if you want consistent scoring.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:50 AM
Brownies

The NHL is still the most fun, for me, no matter how I think it could be much more exciting.

The thing that's much better in football is the playoffs. 4/7 series kill a lot of excitement because there's no big event and people in sports love those big events. There'd be less hockey, but the excitement of a 1 game final would be awesome to me and it could become something quite big, not as much as the superbowl, but quite big. The first round of the playoffs is always awesome, but then it drags on and on and never ends.

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

vCash: 50
personally i find hockey getting more and more boring every year, that's largely due to how bad my team is though.

Max Kellerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:55 AM
TheNeutrality
scaldin ur d00dz

The NFL feels like it's 80% commercials and analysis vs 20% of actual game time.
Basketball can be somewhat entertaining on a game to game basis, but the NBA as a league is incredibly predictable and seems boring.
Baseball is incredibly slow with essentially nothing happening for large parts of the game.

The NHL is not without its problems, but I wouldn't say it's the most boring one.

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:58 AM
TedLundy

Hockey is the most entertaining sport in NA.
As organizations, NHL would probably not be the best.

TedLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:00 AM
Caps8112

see it like this

NFL anyone can watch and sit around with friends and eat food/drink beer

NHL you have to understand what your watching and realize the absolute skill involved or
have a 7-6 type game for the casual fans

NBA you have to understand the strategies and really enjoy the big names. Least
favorite of the big 4. See why people like it but always felt you can watch the last 2
mins of the game and youve see in all

MLB like watching paint dry but playoff baseball is amazing to watch.

Caps8112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:08 AM
Steamwhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
This incredible thread has confirmed for me that different people like different sports in different degrees. It's just amazing.
Some of the sheer ignorance is almost impressive. I guess that's what you get when you ask this question to a forum dedicated to diehard hockey fans

Steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:12 AM
TheNeutrality
scaldin ur d00dz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamwhistle View Post
Some of the sheer ignorance is almost impressive. I guess that's what you get when you ask this question to a forum dedicated to diehard hockey fans
It's less about ignorance than it is about personal taste.

The entertainment factor that each sport has is entirely subjective to an individual.

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:15 AM
Seath The Scaleless
Hanta Yo

MLB and NHL top the list for me.

NBA - entertaining due to the off-court shenanigans, but as mentioned in this thread, more parity is needed. Social media will blow up if one of the two favourites gets upset lol

NFL - strictly for fantasy/gambling purposes, so I usually find myself entertained. Plus, Sundays suck otherwise.

So, go sports!

Seath The Scaleless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:16 AM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
How can you judge this? it's purely subjective. With that said, basketball is the most boring sport ever IMO

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:19 AM
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

NBA today is by far the worst. It used to be watchable about 15-20 years ago, when more of the talent in the league wasn't within 3 or 4 teams, and teams played actual defense. Today it is just one giant up & down, street ball league.

Makes me wish for the days of Magic, Bird, Jordan, Malone, when teams were teams, players didn't cry about contact, and it was fun to watch.

Datsyukian Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:23 AM
Steamwhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeutrality View Post
It's less about ignorance than it is about personal taste.

The entertainment factor that each sport has is entirely subjective to an individual.
I understand that everyone has certain tastes and not every sports is for certain people, but the ignorance I'm mainly talking about kind of stems from all the posts complaining about parts of these sports that really aren't issues at all. I understand some people complaining about too many stoppages or different game flows, but all these posts about specific sports having too many whiners and such just speak to how little some people know, or maybe choose to ignore, about these sports. Stuff like this:

Quote:
Baseball is a children's game for grown men.
or this:

Quote:
star players complain about EVERYTHING.

Steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:39 AM
marioni

Nah, it's NBA. I love basketball, but you can skip the entire season and just wait for the NBA finals. We all know which 2 teams will make it there.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:40 AM
mcdangles14

Is this thread for serious? NHL is easily the greatest. MLB is a close second. Nothing better than throwing on a baseball game in the summer and doing **** all. NBA and NFL are for grinders end of story.

mcdangles14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:41 AM
marioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyukian Deke View Post
NBA today is by far the worst. It used to be watchable about 15-20 years ago, when more of the talent in the league wasn't within 3 or 4 teams, and teams played actual defense. Today it is just one giant up & down, street ball league.

Makes me wish for the days of Magic, Bird, Jordan, Malone, when teams were teams, players didn't cry about contact, and it was fun to watch.
NBA was dynamite in the 80s (yes, I'm old). 90s were even worse than today's NBA, you had Bulls who were really, really good and every other team was really, really bad.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:47 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
We're told the NBA is exciting and fast-paced, but it's actually a really slow game to watch. It's like a dirty little secret that they hope nobody notices. That's why the league makes so many concessions to entertainment over the integrity of the sport.

And since the players just collude to build superteams now, 90% of the games have no meaning anyhow. Barring injuries, we all know who will be playing in the finals this year. And we've known it since before the season started. It's the two teams that played in the finals last year and the year before. There's no other sport that's so predictable.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:24 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
Forgot About Sid

I think the high speed, high physicality, fines and skill make hockey arguably the most entertaining.

It just depends what you're into. Baseball is arguably the least entertaining but it's my 2nd favorite to watch personally.

I think if more people were exposed to hockey when they were younger it'd be the most popular sport in NA.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:29 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCommitted View Post
I didn't read the whole thread, but the first page pretty much emphasized for me what's "wrong" with NA sports in general (in my opinion, from a European perspective) and that's 1) it's a "product" & business foremost, 2) it's all about entertainment and 3) a team is a "franchise"

A team isn't doing well in a certain market? Well, just buy them out and "relocate". Oh, ratings are not as high as you'd like them to be - well, just dumb down the game so you can try to sell hockey in some close to tropical climate to people who couldn't care less about the actual sport, but hey if it entertains me I might be interested...

Sure, all sports is largely about entertainment, but IMO that shouldn't be the #1 priority. Likewise, all pro sports are largely about business, and maybe NA is just more transparent about it in someways, but try to imagine Premiership or Serie A or La Liga 'relocating' teams. Likewise, scoring in football (or soccer or what ever you wanna call it) is very low and has always been, yet the sport seems to do ok. The passion level among fans is also in completely different tier compared to anything in NA - just watch a soccer game once and hear and see the audience. In comparison NA audiences look like it was either go watch a movie, go to the mall or catch a game, which ever happens to be convenient and entertaining. Ok, it's an exaggeration to make a point, but still.

Personally I just don't find it in me to have any sort of passion about any particular team in the NHL for example, and I've tried and even once fooled myself into thinking I actually cared about the Ducks. No, I didn't give a **** about them and my interest in the team dropped to absolute zero when certain two finns retired. In contrast, the passion & history (and to an extent even the political implications) around football teams is catching. There's just more 'soul' there.

Maybe comparison to football/soccer is unfair because football is so universal and there really isn't another team sport that can afford the attitude, and also because certain matchups are about so much more than the sport, like El Clasico for example. Actually pretty much the only team in hockey that has something going for it is Montreal Canadiens and there, aside from the heritage you also have the whole French-Canadian thing adding another element that somewhat takes it beyond entertainment & business.
Each European country is also smaller than the US as a whole. I don't follow the English Premier League, maybe watch a game here and there, but from what I can tell, all the teams are in the country of England, yes? Or at least the UK in general. England is about 5 or 6 times smaller than Ontario. You kind of get the same thing in the NHL with a few O6 teams meeting up, and maybe when two teams from the same state/province play. If there were 10 teams in the same state/province, you'd get more emotion. But different states/provinces, maybe more than that are the different time zones, and it all gets diluted a bit.

Plus there's the relegation aspect. That's just not the model for most if not all pro leagues in NA.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Frk It
Crap Space

Mlb ainec

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Howboutthempanthers
Thread killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
NHL > MLB/MLS > Subway at lunch time > NBA/NFL

At least in my opinion. I really couldn't care less about the latter two leagues.
I pretty much feel this way too, except for the MLS part. And this is coming from a former big time basketball fan, it literally made me stop watching. I've tried to watch the sport a few times since, doesn't work.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Howboutthempanthers
Thread killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Rules NBA Sux View Post
Basketball is by far the most boring sport. The thing I hate the most about it is how easy it is to score. In fact, it's a bigger deal when a team DOESN'T score on a possession. Basically the winner is the team that makes the least amount of mistakes. Not exactly my idea of excitement. Add that with the fact that the players are complete divas and egomaniacs and you have one dud of a sport. I haven't watched the NBA in over 20 years.
Agree with this post too, 100%. Almost verbatim.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:45 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyukian Deke View Post

Players started crying about contact when the NBA put away the whistles around '89-'90 and they haven't come back out since. Go check the free throws taken per team every year through most of the '80s and compare it with the '90s through to today: You'll notice the difference.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:53 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

My question would be why are hockey fans so insecure they feel they have to dump on other sports? I rarely see fans of other sports do that (except soccer fans maybe).

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Top Chedz
Rookie User

I brought a baseball fan to watch the new youth movement, Toronto Maple Leafs, and they were blown away just how exciting and fast paced the game was. Watching the NHL with this huge influx of new, young talent has arguably made hockey the best sport to watch (and I'm a huge Raptors and Jays fan too, don't really fancy football).

Top Chedz is offline   Reply With Quote