HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Oscar Klefbom is tied with Faulk, Jones, and Green in 2nd place for 5 on 5 goals

Old
02-15-2017, 07:46 AM
Rowgs

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlyingV View Post
I don't think he'll get 40 points this year due to his slow start after missing 50 games last year with the infection, but I do think he will be a 10+ goal 40 point D in the future. He's great at getting shots through, has good offensive instincts, skates well, has a great outlet pass, and has a fairly heavy shot. His defensive game still needs work as he's still prone to some mistakes, albeit not unsurprising given his experience level in the NHL. He also needs more consistency, which again isn't surprising at this point in his career.

Don't think he'll be a #1, but I do think he can be a 40 point 2-way #2 someday.
I think if he ever wants to consistently break 40 points, the one thing he needs to work on is assists generated from playing in the offensive zone. A lot of his assists are generated from strong outlet passes. I notice a lot that sometimes he tries way to hard to beat the goalie with his shot instead of putting it in spots for deflections and tips. I think a lot of this is contributed to his lack of experience still. I do really like his shot though in general, a heavy shot with decent accuracy.

Rowgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:35 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Burns is so far ahead of everyone else.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rati...s&sortdir=DESC

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:10 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

vCash: 500
this last few months he's really decided to shoot the puck more. its great to see

karnige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
Klefbom has been great for years now according to advance stat guys
Visually looked great too. It was always a sample size issue

Aceboogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 11:32 AM
npanciroli

He's been really good, more defensive headaches this year cause he is playing a more offensive role. Larsson has done amazing things to calm his game down also.

npanciroli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Mcikinzom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Woodcroft View Post
Klefbom for Parayko would be a good hockey trade but I can't see either organization wanting to move their respective young D studs.

I think the Oil are better off keeping Klefbom/Larsson as the #1 pair and finding a second pair RHD to play with Sekera. Klefbom and Larsson have room to grow in their games and I'm certain one of them will emerge as a true #1 in the next couple seasons.

Edit: Just realized you said Klefbom AND RNH for Parayko... no no no... Nuge is having a bad year but it would be really bad to sell him low
You make a trade between the two teams if St Louis is lacking offense from the backend and the Oilers are lacking a big bodied shut down defenseman.

Right now both teams have exactly what they need, but at that low cap hit and long term contract, the Oilers would be crazy to make that deal as Parayko is up for a monster raise.

Mcikinzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 11:47 AM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Kid has great potential. He has had about a dozen games this year of really struggling in his end, at some points he had to be dropped to the 3rd pair to get it back together, but that's to be expected of a guy trying to put together a good offensive and defensive game at the NHL level. He always manages to bounce back and take another step forward. Doesn't even have 200 games under his belt yet.

Really liking the potential of the Larsson/Klef pair to be able to do it all for us in 1st pairing minutes.

oobga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 12:06 PM
Aceboogie

Another intersting stat about Klefbom is that he is 2nd amongst all D in the legaue for posts hit with 4. Hes had a couple of near, near goals in which a couple millimeters made the difference. So could have as many as 11 ES goals. And I do think his goal totals will go up a bit as he has the 4th most shots for a D in the NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by npanciroli View Post
He's been really good, more defensive headaches this year cause he is playing a more offensive role. Larsson has done amazing things to calm his game down also.
Larsson has been an ideal fit for Klefbom. He is great defensively and allows Klefbom to roam a bit. But guys are locked up long term for 4.125 mil each which is going to be a steal. 8 mil long term for a top pairing, and potentially a great one at that

Old
02-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Totti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
Behind just Brent Burns, the 4 mentioned defenseman are all tied for 2nd in the league in goals 5 on 5. However, the most underrated and least known is Oscar Klefbom. He's also one of the best shot generating defenseman in the entire league and in my opinion has been a key success for the Oilers with his mobility and outlet pass, and providing some of the best offense the Oilers have seen from their blueline in years (Schultz got a lot more garbage points, and doesn't dictate the game like Klefbom does, also Klefbom is far superior defensively). What upside do you project him? Is it possible for him to hit 40 points this season? 15 goals maybe?
Except, he's not.

Burns: 16
Demers: 8
Faulk: 8
Schultz: 8
Klefbom: 7

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggr...=evGoals,goals

A handful of others with 7. So he's tied for 3th with a bunch of other players. If you just count even strength (3 on 3 and empty net goals are not counted as 5 on 5), he's tied for 5th with 4 other players.

You might want to check your stats more thoroughly next time.

Totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
Except, he's not.

Burns: 16
Demers: 8
Faulk: 8
Schultz: 8
Klefbom: 7

A handful of others with 7. So he's tied for 3th with a bunch of other players. If you just count even strength (3 on 3 and empty net goals are not counted as 5 on 5), he's tied for 5th with 4 other players.

You might want to check your stats more thoroughly next time.
Oh but he is right

Old
02-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Totti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Burns is so far ahead of everyone else.

Why does that have Demers at 6 when he has 9 goals, none on the PP and 1 empty netter. That makes 8 goals, 5 on 5. This is according to the NHL official site. Also, Faulk and Shultz seem wrong too. What am I missing here?

Old
02-15-2017, 12:30 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Why does that have Demers at 6 when he has 9 goals, none on the PP and 1 empty netter. That makes 8 goals, 5 on 5. This is according to the NHL official site. Also, Faulk and Shultz seem wrong too. What am I missing here?

Would guess it's because NHL's ES number includes 3v3, 4v4 and 5v6.

Old
02-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Totti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceboogie View Post
What am I missing? My link is the OFFICIAL NHL site and if you look at that, my numbers appear to be correct. What am I not accounting for here? I believe the OFFICIAL NHL site over some wanna be OFFICIAL site.

Old
02-15-2017, 12:32 PM
Totti

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
Would guess it's because NHL's ES number includes 3v3 and 4v4.
4 on 4 is what I'm missing. I accounted for 3 on 3 and 5 vs 6 because it shows overtime and empty net goals.

Thanks.

Old
02-15-2017, 12:34 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Frei!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
I remember when Brodin was better.
That was a long time ago. Klefa has been better since he made the jump to the NHL.

Because of the injuries, he's one of the most underrated players in the NHL.

02-15-2017, 12:35 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:

Even strength per NHL.com can mean 4vs4 as well, and some other situations

Demers has 6 5x5 goals, 1 4x4, 1 empty net goal, 1 in another situation

Old
02-15-2017, 12:36 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Even strength per NHL.com can mean 4vs4 as well, and some other situations

Demers has 6 5x5 goals, 1 4x4, 1 empty net goal, 1 in another situation
What is that other situation? Now I'm curious, because I can't tell some any site where that 9th goal is. hehe. Did he get credited for an own goal while off ice or something?

Old
02-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
What is that other situation? Now I'm curious, because I can't tell some any site where that 9th goal is. hehe. Did he get credited for an own goal while off ice or something?
Thats actually a good question. I couldnt find that last goal. But it could have been a 5 on 6 goal or some weird combo.

Old
02-15-2017, 12:43 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Thats actually a good question. I couldnt find that last goal. But it could have been a 5 on 6 goal or some weird combo.
This might be it:

https://www.nhl.com/video/demers-lat...654/c-47045203

He scores just as his goalie goes off the ice. 6 on 5 goal I think. Now I will be able to sleep tonight

Old
02-15-2017, 12:49 PM
aemoreira1981

One must ask how much pairing him with Adam Larsson has helped Oscar Klefbom. Ideally, every team would pair a good offensive D-man with one who can mind his own end...considering that the topic is even-strength production. Larsson's defense has given Klefbom freedom to do his thing while the back end is patrolled by Larsson. In San Jose, Brent Burns is paired with Paul Martin...offensive D-man with a stay-at-home guy. This is akin to that pair...and with Larsson (age 24) signed through 2021 and Klefbom (age 23) signed through 2023---both for under $4.2M apiece, this should be the top pair for Edmonton for some time. This could be akin to Burns and Vlasic (even though they're not a pair in San Jose).

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 12:54 PM
rynryn
Reluctant Optimist

vCash: 6025
Quote:
.4 points per game vs .37 points per game with over 2 minutes more TOI. oh yeah, that's some domination right there. LOL

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
This might be it:

https://www.nhl.com/video/demers-lat...654/c-47045203

He scores just as his goalie goes off the ice. 6 on 5 goal I think. Now I will be able to sleep tonight
Hahah nice detective work! Thats probably it. Nice catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
One must ask how much pairing him with Adam Larsson has helped Oscar Klefbom. Ideally, every team would pair a good offensive D-man with one who can mind his own end...considering that the topic is even-strength production. Larsson's defense has given Klefbom freedom to do his thing while the back end is patrolled by Larsson. In San Jose, Brent Burns is paired with Paul Martin...offensive D-man with a stay-at-home guy. This is akin to that pair...and with Larsson (age 24) signed through 2021 and Klefbom (age 23) signed through 2023---both for under $4.2M apiece, this should be the top pair for Edmonton for some time. This could be akin to Burns and Vlasic (even though they're not a pair in San Jose).
Fully agree with this. I think a potential issue becomes if one of the D is too one dimensional. Klefbom is more offense driven but hes reliable in his end. Larsson is more of a defensive D but he can make good outlet passes an dhelp Klefbom there too

Dream scenerio having 2 Swedish D of the same age (and same draft), same contract situation playing together for foreseeable future. They already have chemistry and by the time they hit their primes the chemsitry could be great

Old
02-15-2017, 03:11 PM
JayE

Quote:
They're both pretty good.

JayE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 03:17 PM
ClayAikenFan77

vCash: 400
Quote:
Oh please, they are pretty much equal. Brodin was playing lights out before his injury, and our team defense has taken a huge hit since he's been out.

ClayAikenFan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 03:58 PM
Juxtaposer
Timmy Wongels

Klefbom is great. Better than Larsson.

But I'd hold your horses on "just behind Brent Burns" in the OP. Klefbom et al have 7 even strength goals. Burns has 18.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote