HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Race 2016/2017 #7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2017, 02:32 AM
  #51
93LEAFS
Registered User
 
93LEAFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plural View Post
Yup. Barring some miracle Jets are out.
I think a sizable portion of their fanbase has moved on to hoping for Nolan Patrick.

I hate 3 point games because it creates this exact false sense of parity. The disparity in games played makes it even crazier this year.

93LEAFS is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:33 AM
  #52
TDK88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2,412
vCash: 500
This race is freaking insane. Wish the boards/threads wouldn't be so toxic after a single good game from any of these top rookies.

Also, I think Nylander is in a tier of his own behind Matthews/Laine/Marner. He's not quite at their level but clearly outperforming Tkachuk, Aho & Werenski.

TDK88 is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:37 AM
  #53
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net
 
CorgisPer60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,072
vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plural View Post
Yup. Barring some miracle Jets are out.
Jets have a 4-game road trip: Pittsburgh, Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto. The Jets have a very realistic chance of losing all of those games, but most likely we'll just lose three of them. The Jets are all but done at this point. They have been since mid-november, basically.

CorgisPer60 is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:37 AM
  #54
Gsus
Not Nico Hischier
 
Gsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pori
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigThree View Post
Some one give me a video of laine creating a play for himself and scoring. All I ever see is power play goals and sweet passes on his goals. I want to see this skill all peg fans talk about where they say he's equal to matthews. Matthews and marner constantly create their own plays and carry their lines. Why isn't there laine compilation of the little things he does like matthews? Oh right. Because he's not even remotely close to matthews or marner.
*Laine creates a goal for himself*


Your post was pretty much a fan boy post from start to beginning. Maurice played Laine last night when Dallas had their net empty. He said it wasn't because he had already scored two times. It's because he did those little things.

Gsus is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:37 AM
  #55
93LEAFS
Registered User
 
93LEAFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigThree View Post
Some one give me a video of laine creating a play for himself and scoring. All I ever see is power play goals and sweet passes on his goals. I want to see this skill all peg fans talk about where they say he's equal to matthews. Matthews and marner constantly create their own plays and carry their lines. Why isn't there laine compilation of the little things he does like matthews? Oh right. Because he's not even remotely close to matthews or marner.
He's created his own goals. He isn't as good as either of the two Leafs in transition or forcing turnovers, but he deserved to be discussed on the same level as them. Even if we disagree on the order.

He pretty clearly was the main part of creating the first and third goals he got vs us.

93LEAFS is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:39 AM
  #56
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net
 
CorgisPer60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,072
vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
*Laine creates a goal for himself*


Your post was pretty much a fan boy post from start to beginning. Maurice played Laine last night when Dallas had their net empty. He said it wasn't because he had already scored two times. It's because he did those little things.
B-b-but it was a sick pass that he finished off! That doesn't count!

>______>

CorgisPer60 is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:43 AM
  #57
grieves
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Country: Finland
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigThree View Post
Some one give me a video of laine creating a play for himself and scoring. All I ever see is power play goals and sweet passes on his goals. I want to see this skill all peg fans talk about where they say he's equal to matthews. Matthews and marner constantly create their own plays and carry their lines. Why isn't there laine compilation of the little things he does like matthews? Oh right. Because he's not even remotely close to matthews or marner.
I think the discussion here has matured beyond your... whatever this is that you are spewing.

You are a caveman in a dining hall, we have a dress code here.

grieves is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:47 AM
  #58
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net
 
CorgisPer60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,072
vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
I think a sizable portion of their fanbase has moved on to hoping for Nolan Patrick.

I hate 3 point games because it creates this exact false sense of parity. The disparity in games played makes it even crazier this year.
He would be nice, but I'm not holding out hope for him. I don't know how high his ceiling is going to be, but I'm hard-pressed to imagine it being any higher than what Scheifele and Little are capable of. I'd much rather be in a position to draft an impact defenseman in the top half of the draft, because our D is again woefully inadequate, both on the Jets and in the system. There are a few nifty pieces (Niku, Green, Poolman), but nothing that screams D saviour to me.

CorgisPer60 is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:47 AM
  #59
kunekune
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigThree View Post
Some one give me a video of laine creating a play for himself and scoring. All I ever see is power play goals and sweet passes on his goals. I want to see this skill all peg fans talk about where they say he's equal to matthews. Matthews and marner constantly create their own plays and carry their lines. Why isn't there laine compilation of the little things he does like matthews? Oh right. Because he's not even remotely close to matthews or marner.
He is not playing for Leafs so of course he sucks. Not even AHL level.

He would be twice the player Matthews is if he played for Toronto but thank god he is not. Toronto lucked out here.Now he just sucks. Meh...

kunekune is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:50 AM
  #60
93LEAFS
Registered User
 
93LEAFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
He would be nice, but I'm not holding out hope for him. I don't know how high his ceiling is going to be, but I'm hard-pressed to imagine it being any higher than what Scheifele and Little are capable of. I'd much rather be in a position to draft an impact defenseman in the top half of the draft, because our D is again woefully inadequate, both on the Jets and in the system. There are a few nifty pieces (Niku, Green, Poolman), but nothing that screams D saviour to me.
Patrick has the talent to be a Schiefele level player, whether he gets there is another question. But, he's fairly comparable to Monahan at the same age. This draft lacks a bonafide franchise defender. There are no Hedman/Doughty/Jones tier prospects.

93LEAFS is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:51 AM
  #61
lovemyleafs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the Jets miss the playoffs won't that hurt Laine's chance of winning the Calder?

lovemyleafs is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:51 AM
  #62
jaeger
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 664
vCash: 500
To those (mostly Leaf fans) bringing up the FACT that Laine´s shot% is going down.

Why do you always forget to bring up the FACT that Laine is also starting to get more shots.

Hence his goal pace won't drop.

And that's what happens when you get more and more experience. He's still such a raw player with many obvious flaws that can be fixed in the future. His ceiling is arguably the highest in the world.

jaeger is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:52 AM
  #63
jaeger
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
Patrick has the talent to be a Schiefele level player, whether he gets there is another question. But, he's fairly comparable to Monahan at the same age. This draft lacks a bonafide franchise defender. There are no Hedman/Doughty/Jones tier prospects.

jaeger is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:52 AM
  #64
Gsus
Not Nico Hischier
 
Gsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pori
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
B-b-but it was a sick pass that he finished off! That doesn't count!

>______>
Well it actually was if you want to have your passes from over 1 feet up.

Gsus is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:53 AM
  #65
Rambokala
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,993
vCash: 50
Someone should tell the other players how easy it is to score goals; you just receive a pass and thats it!

Rambokala is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:55 AM
  #66
Leafs at Knight
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Leafs at Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunekune View Post
He is not playing for Leafs so of course he sucks. Not even AHL level.

He would be twice the player Matthews is if he played for Toronto but thank god he is not. Toronto lucked out here.Now he just sucks. Meh...
Agreed.

Anyhow I wonder where that Finnish/Jets fan is that said they should try Laine at defence..

Leafs at Knight is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 02:59 AM
  #67
Rambokala
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,993
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
Patrick has the talent to be a Schiefele level player, whether he gets there is another question. But, he's fairly comparable to Monahan at the same age. This draft lacks a bonafide franchise defender. There are no Hedman/Doughty/Jones tier prospects.
No offense to Scheifele, who is an elite center and thus a very good player, but where was he as an 18 year old?

Rambokala is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 03:00 AM
  #68
93LEAFS
Registered User
 
93LEAFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeger View Post
To those (mostly Leaf fans) bringing up the FACT that Laine´s shot% is going down.

Why do you always forget to bring up the FACT that Laine is also starting to get more shots.

Hence his goal pace won't drop.

And that's what happens when you get more and more experience. He's still such a raw player with many obvious flaws that can be fixed in the future. His ceiling is arguably the highest in the world.
That isn't really true. Here are his shot per game numbers by month.

October: 3.2
November: 2.19
December: 2.71
January: 3
February: 2.5

93LEAFS is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 03:02 AM
  #69
93LEAFS
Registered User
 
93LEAFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
No offense to Scheifele, who is an elite center and thus a very good player, but where was he as an 18 year old?
Since they share names. I am specifically talking about Nolan Patrick, not Patrik Laine.

93LEAFS is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 03:02 AM
  #70
Leafs at Knight
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Leafs at Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
That isn't really true. Here are his shot per game numbers by month.

October: 3.2
November: 2.19
December: 2.71
January: 3
February: 2.5
Well he tried I guess.

Leafs at Knight is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 03:02 AM
  #71
Rambokala
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,993
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
Since they share names. I am specifically talking about Nolan Patrick, not Patrik Laine.
Now your comment makes sense

Rambokala is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 03:07 AM
  #72
95
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
[mod]

What was Scheifele doing when he was 18? Not every player follows the same development path, and just because one is ahead of the curve at 18 doesn't mean he'll ride that wave 'till he's 30.

[mod]


Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 02-15-2017 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Don't do that.
95 is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 03:10 AM
  #73
TiimuSeLaine
Registered User
 
TiimuSeLaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
This rookie class is off the charts! All of the rookie deserve all the praise they get.

But what pisses me the most about these rookie threads is the sheer amount of downplaying and pooping on Laine. Kid's 18-year old rookie from Europe, having one of the best rookie season for a kid his age.

Downplaying Laine doesn't make your kid any better, it just makes you look stupid and ignorant.

TiimuSeLaine is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 03:11 AM
  #74
Rambokala
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,993
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 View Post
What was Scheifele doing when he was 18? Not every player follows the same development path, and just because one is ahead of the curve at 18 doesn't mean he'll ride that wave 'till he's 30.
And what you took from my comment was that i'm bashing Scheif, the most important player in the team i cheer for.

[mod]


Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 02-15-2017 at 05:13 AM. Reason: QEP
Rambokala is offline  
Old
02-15-2017, 03:11 AM
  #75
Hokinaittii
Registered User
 
Hokinaittii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Laine is currently 17th in PPG of all players who have played more than 10 games. 0,92 PPG at the moment.

Hokinaittii is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.