HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Race 2016/2017 #7

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2017, 03:11 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
No offense to Scheifele, who is an elite center and thus a very good player, but where was he as an 18 year old?
He was a scrawny ass 18 year old kid who had obvious skill, but needed to work to grow into his body. He worked on his shot in his private time, is an absolute gym and nutrition rat, and worked on his core and lower body strength to help with his balance. He got seven games with the Jets in 2011, scoring his only goal on the power play against the Maple Leafs before he got sent back to Barrie. He lasted even fewer games with the Jets the year after, but his progression was noticeable. He then decided to put Barrie on his back and carry them deep into the OHL playoffs that year, before he got injured in the final series.

Once he hit the NHL at age twenty, it was a slow progression, but it was noticeably trending up. The last year-and-a-half though, he's been on a meteoric rise. It's amazing that since February of last year, only two players have scored more points than him, and one of them is Sidney Crosby. I keep waiting for him to fall off, because I'm not used to having a player with such a level of ability on the Jets, but it hasn't happened yet.

Right now, I have no idea how Nolan Patrick projects to the NHL. He's a big body center in the mold of Jonathan Toews, but I don't know if he'll ever hit that height.

Old
02-15-2017, 03:12 AM
TDK88

vCash: 500
Btw, the Leafs' big three are on pace for a total of 197 points and 85 goals. Anyone know how that ranks among rookie trios? How about rookie trios with an average age of 19?

Old
02-15-2017, 03:14 AM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
He was a scrawny ass 18 year old kid who had obvious skill, but needed to work to grow into his body.
So just like Patrik is, and yet he is almost ppg, partly thanks to Scheifele, for sure.

Scheif does play a more demanding role, so that is a factor too.

Old
02-15-2017, 03:17 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

Quote:
So just like Patrik is, and yet he is almost ppg, partly thanks to Scheifele, for sure.
I get what you're saying, but I was speaking about Mark Scheifele in the context of comparing him to Nolan Patrick, outside of any inference with Patrick Laine.

Old
02-15-2017, 03:18 AM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
I get what you're saying, but I was speaking about Mark Scheifele in the context of comparing him to Nolan Patrick, outside of any inference with Patrick Laine.
Okay, then i was just confused. Whoops.

Old
02-15-2017, 03:56 AM
HELWild
Master of Puppets

Just as I wrote that all Laine needs is a big score game and he's back being the top pick for Calder. And now he just did it. Damn this Calder race is awesome

Old
02-15-2017, 04:05 AM
ijuka

Laine's 1 goal behind Matthews ... But he has played 4 less games and his goals / game is higher than Matthews's. He also has 2 more assists than Matthews.

Marner has 1 more point than Laine in 4 more games. But Laine has 11 more goals.

Laine has higher +/- than both on a vastly inferior team, however highly you want to rate the stat.

Laine has 3 hat tricks during his 18-year-old season, which is pretty crazy in itself.

Hopefully Laine will find his accuracy again with this game.

Old
02-15-2017, 04:18 AM
Gsus
Not Nico Hischier

The Stars GDT last night was the most confusing I've ever seen I really had to double checked that I was in the Stars discussion.

Old
02-15-2017, 04:21 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
The Stars GDT last night was the most confusing I've ever seen I really had to double checked that I was in the Stars discussion.
They've checked out of the season already, and for good reason. Last night's game was the latest battle of the tank that they won. Silly people. The Jets went on a four-game winning streak at the end of last season (good for 24th in the league), and then won the draft lottery, which got them second overall. That's a large part of the reason why I am not vexatious over the Jets' wins and losses; with the top three picks being eligible for the lottery, it's a fool's errand to tank as low as you can go.

Old
02-15-2017, 05:15 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Stop the fanbase bashing, or you'll be removed from the conversation. Thanks.

Old
02-15-2017, 06:15 AM
NotCommitted

Haha, what a night for the Calder race. Simply awesome. As a Finn the only thing sweeter would've been if Matthews had scored only one so they end up tied, but 2g from Matthews and a hatty by Laine is just as well.

Old
02-15-2017, 06:20 AM
MardyBum

Man this is going to come down to the wire.

So much more fun than last year when it was clearly Panarin.

Old
02-15-2017, 06:27 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCommitted View Post
Haha, what a night for the Calder race. Simply awesome. As a Finn the only thing sweeter would've been if Matthews had scored only one so they end up tied, but 2g from Matthews and a hatty by Laine is just as well.
Marner getting a point to stay in the Lead. Nylander with 2 points to try and keep pace. All 4 have been on some torrid pace the last few weeks. Leafs have 27 games left, Winnipeg has 23, will be tough for Laine to keep up.

Old
02-15-2017, 06:36 AM
loyaltotheend

Quote:
Okay, then i was just confused. Whoops.
That's twice man. Within a few replies. Ease off a little, don't take the bait when people speak in extremes.

Laine, like Matthews and Marner is elite talent, and you got a hell of a player there. Great calder race happening this year, crazy good crop of rookies. No matter who wins the trophy, each team has great pieces to cheer for.

Good game tonight

Old
02-15-2017, 06:41 AM
deakka

When does Matt Murray efter the discussion again? Or have we written him off?

He currently 4th in save % and 6th in gaa.
Also, look at MAF stats compared to Murrays playing for the same team.

Old
02-15-2017, 06:47 AM
llwyd

I guess my previous message was purged for some reason? No fanbase even mentioned, nothing negative about Matthews either.

Anyway, the point was that (as obviously a biased person) I think that Matthews has fulfilled a bigger part of his potential than Laine, as he is North American and almost a year older - Laine is obviously still struggling with some aspects of the small ice play and needs also to develop physically. So, even as a flawed 18 years old rookie fresh from Europe he is already at this madly high level. And those flaws are exactly the kind that can be corrected with experience and practice. So, for me this kid's potential is quite scary even if Matthews does win the Calder this year.

Old
02-15-2017, 07:11 AM
BDizzle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post

I honestly can't see him getting any more than a few obscure votes. The rookie talent this year is insane. Murray would be a strong candidate in most years though.

Old
02-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Cotton
Toronto Sexy Leafs

vCash: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiimuSeLaine View Post
This rookie class is off the charts! All of the rookie deserve all the praise they get.

But what pisses me the most about these rookie threads is the sheer amount of downplaying and pooping on Laine. Kid's 18-year old rookie from Europe, having one of the best rookie season for a kid his age.

Downplaying Laine doesn't make your kid any better, it just makes you look stupid and ignorant.
I was active in the last thread when it "turned" last night. Matthews game was over and nobody was bashing Laine, Laine had scored and nobody was bashing Matthews. It wasnt until Laine's empty netter that a guy who was neither a Leafs or Jets fan, but a finnish Laine homer, come in chest thumping and slinging mud at Leafs fans. Then another joined in, and another ect.

Maybe the Laine fans should chill and stop starting these little feuds?

Old
02-15-2017, 07:25 AM
Sypher04

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
I guess my previous message was purged for some reason? No fanbase even mentioned, nothing negative about Matthews either.

Anyway, the point was that (as obviously a biased person) I think that Matthews has fulfilled a bigger part of his potential than Laine, as he is North American and almost a year older - Laine is obviously still struggling with some aspects of the small ice play and needs also to develop physically. So, even as a flawed 18 years old rookie fresh from Europe he is already at this madly high level. And those flaws are exactly the kind that can be corrected with experience and practice. So, for me this kid's potential is quite scary even if Matthews does win the Calder this year.
I respectfully disagree. Their age difference isn't wide enough to be important, they both played professional hockey last year, and have both adapted well to playing the NHL very quickly. I think it's splitting hairs to try and say one has more potential left than another.

Old
02-15-2017, 07:30 AM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
I was active in the last thread when it "turned" last night. Matthews game was over and nobody was bashing Laine, Laine had scored and nobody was bashing Matthews. It wasnt until Laine's empty netter that a guy who was neither a Leafs or Jets fan, but a finnish Laine homer, come in chest thumping and slinging mud at Leafs fans. Then another joined in, and another ect.

Maybe the Laine fans should chill and stop starting these little feuds?
I fell asleep before his second goal thinking man what an night matthews and nylander with a multipoint night my boy Laine scored all is good. Looking forward to the discussion tomorrow.

Woke up sees Laine is the FIRST 18 year old in the Nhl to score 3 hattricks! On par with matthews 4 goal debut in my opinion. A record historic!

Oh man hfboards must be fun now that Laine is right in there again.
Checked all the pages. And F*** you hfboards seriously you guys cant see greatness when its right infront of you. So few of us that actually appreciate these talents the rest just try to throw ****.

Yeah Laines linemates are the only reason for his success that is why everyone else with little or scheifele scores hattricks.

Man they all had good games yesterday why not be happy?

MATTHEW IS A BEAST
MARNER IS A BEAST
LAINE IS A BEAST
NYLANDER IS A BEAST

Whoever wins this trophy is not the best overall player and there is no shame for the others loosing.

They are all great dont you get it?

So many unsecure people...
If you prefer Matthews, Fine
If you prefer Laine,fine
If you prefer Marner,fine

Whatever just dont **** on the others. They are all freaking amazing and finally Laine sniped one, finally he had a good game.

And again FIRST 18 y.o kid to score 3 hatties! How can you hate?

Last edited by Narow: 02-15-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old
02-15-2017, 07:31 AM
fredligh

If this was a plain goalscoring trophy, i agree it is tight between Matthews and Laine, but overall game/contribution, it is in my opinion clearly Marner/Matthews

Old
02-15-2017, 07:32 AM
grieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
I respectfully disagree. Their age difference isn't wide enough to be important, they both played professional hockey last year, and have both adapted well to playing the NHL very quickly. I think it's splitting hairs to try and say one has more potential left than another.
I think the main point is that Laine has abysmal games and plays, whereas Matthews' game is more polished.

Even if Laine can transfer even 30% of his bloopers into solid plays next year, his game will look a lot different. This is where his perceived potential comes from as he is still producing like crazy while playing like a chimpanzee with a stick sometimes.

I'm not saying that is the case, but I sure want to believe it (no surprise ).

Old
02-15-2017, 07:32 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post

Matt Murray should be in consideration, as he's technically still a rookie. Still, no one is taking him seriously for the consideration because of how rarely a goalie makes a rookie impact, and the fact that he played pretty much the entirety of the playoffs last year. Many people don't really connect him with being a rookie in the sense of the designation.

Old
02-15-2017, 07:40 AM
kfernandes29

Awesome run by all these rookies so far. Admittedly, I am biased towards Matthews/Marner as a Leafs fan and watch them a lot more than Laine but you have to give credit to Laine for what he's doing as well.

What's remarkable to me about Auston is that even with his incredible puck retrieval skills and being a two-way centre he only has SIX penalties on the season. That to me is a pretty remarkable stat.

Also, just to play devils advocate here.....

At the start of the year, every Jets/Laine fan was saying "if you take away the 4 goal game by Matthews, his numbers aren't THAT good." Well here's one for you as well, if you take away the 3 games in which Laine scored his hat tricks, he only has 17 goals in the other 48 games. That's a rate of 0.35 GPG. 1/3 of his goal output has come from 3 games and 2 of those games have come from the worst goaltending in the league (Dallas). lmao

Last edited by kfernandes29: 02-15-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old
02-15-2017, 07:41 AM
Sypher04

Quote:
Originally Posted by grieves View Post
I think the main point is that Laine has abysmal games and plays, whereas Matthews' game is more polished.

Even if Laine can transfer even 30% of his bloopers into solid plays next year, his game will look a lot different. This is where his perceived potential comes from as he is still producing like crazy while playing like a chimpanzee with a stick sometimes.

I'm not saying that is the case, but I sure want to believe it (no surprise ).
To that point though... Matthews is still producing like crazy despite his linemates flubbing chances at a much higher rate I'd expect that Laine going chimpanzee lol

Closed Thread