HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Race 2016/2017 #7

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2017, 12:28 PM
Ny rillataan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narow View Post
Strange how little that difference has been in numbers. Watching the game it has felt like night and day difference. Just proves it was more in my head than reality. But his shooting percentage seem quite stable. Is it still deemed unsustainable and expected to regress?
The graph shows cumulative shooting percentage, which is not the same as a graph of shooting percentage per game. As the season progresses, changes in cumulative shooting percentage become smaller and smaller on average, so even if he'd have a couple of games with 0% or 100% shooting percentage right now the cumulative one wouldn't change by much at this point.

His shooting percentage has been regressing slowly over the season, and will likely continue to do so, but I'd imagine the regression has been slower than many predicted earlier.

Old
02-17-2017, 12:28 PM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halla View Post
Schiefele 25 goals
Ehlers 19 goals

vs

Brown 12 goals
Hyman 8 goals

Matthews has 19 assists despite his linemates having only 20 goals,
Laine has 21 assists on his linemates 44 goals.

Matthews>Laine in playmaking
Matthews has 3 primary and 1 secondary assist on Brown's 12 goals

Matthews has 2 primary assists on Hyman's 8 goals

Matthews has 9 ES assists

Case closed.

Old
02-17-2017, 12:50 PM
gwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny rillataan View Post
His shooting percentage has been regressing slowly over the season, and will likely continue to do so, but I'd imagine the regression has been slower than many predicted earlier.
Suprisingly he is not regressing.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/gamel...0/patrik-laine

Shooting in

Season: 19.3%

Jan 20.0%

Feb 22.2%

Old
02-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Ny rillataan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh View Post
Suprisingly he is not regressing.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/gamel...0/patrik-laine

Shooting in

Season: 19.3%

Jan 20.0%

Feb 22.2%
Thanks for the correction! I was only looking at the graph, and the very high values at the beginning of the season threw me off.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:01 PM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithoniniel View Post
It was an open net, my friend. Even with a bobbling puck, those are rarely ever missed. Not with that much time.

Are you making the case that the average NHLer from a good position with a lot of time and a completely open net would have likely missed the net "by a mile" just because a puck was bobbling?

I'm not trying to take anything away from Laine. It was an easy goal, everybody gets them.
I would never imply for Matthews what you are for Laine. Scoring easy an easy goal. If anyone has scored more tap ins this year, Mathews has far more exceeded Laine in that this year. Look, all good goal scorers have an ability to find open space to capitalize on chances, Both Matthews and Laine have thus far shown this ability. But somehow we are discussing how easy a goal Laine scored last night?

Old
02-17-2017, 01:10 PM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny rillataan View Post
Thanks for the correction! I was only looking at the graph, and the very high values at the beginning of the season threw me off.
Oscillations in the start of the CS% curve are natural as in the small total amount of shots, only one or few shots can have percentually big impact to the curve.

More games played and shots, less one game or few shots impact to the curve. After several hundred games one game and few shots have negligible effect to the CS% curve, and likely his shooting percentage will stay very stable, oscillating only within small upper and lower min/max. When that happens and can be perceived from the graph curve, he has reached to a level of "sustainability".

Is it going to be 16% or 17% or 18% is still impossible to see. Anyway, it's likely going to be relatively high over long arcs of his career.

Variations in monthly changes in SO% have still significant effect to the curve as they form percentually big proportion over the whole sample.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:19 PM
TheDoldrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepjepjoo View Post
Matthews has 3 primary and 1 secondary assist on Brown's 12 goals

Matthews has 2 primary assists on Hyman's 8 goals

Matthews has 9 ES assists

Case closed.
Hyman is tied for the league lead in short-handed goals with 3, obviously Matthews isn't on the ice for those.

Brown also has a short-handed goal and wasn't playing with Matthews at the start of the year for his first few goals.

As is often the case in this thread for both sides, gray issues are presented as black and white without nuance or context.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:23 PM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoldrums View Post
Hyman is tied for the league lead in short-handed goals with 3, obviously Matthews isn't on the ice for those.

Brown also has a short-handed goal and wasn't playing with Matthews at the start of the year for his first few goals.

As is often the case in this thread for both sides, gray issues are presented as black and white without nuance or context.
So matthews has assisted half of browns goals and more than half of hymans? Thats pretty good despite their low (relative) anmount of goals. How much have they assisted Matthews? Just wondering here out if genuine interest.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:36 PM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoldrums View Post

Check the post i responded to.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Kelly
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
I would never imply for Matthews what you are for Laine. Scoring easy an easy goal. If anyone has scored more tap ins this year, Mathews has far more exceeded Laine in that this year. Look, all good goal scorers have an ability to find open space to capitalize on chances, Both Matthews and Laine have thus far shown this ability. But somehow we are discussing how easy a goal Laine scored last night?
Leave it to you to get up in arms over such an innocent comment.

Also I doubt that. Just because Matthews scores closer to the net doesn't mean their tap ins... Also how many EN goals does Laine have.... two, three? Not to take anything away from Laine who's a goal scoring machine but I just think it's a little ridiculous for you to throw this in Matthews face over an honest comment.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:37 PM
TheDoldrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepjepjoo View Post
Check the post i responded to.
That was also a bad post

Laine hasn't exclusively played with those guys, obviously. Certainly an overly simplistic and fruitless analysis by that poster.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:38 PM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

Quote:
More easy looking goals, better the offense. I only hope that Jets could make more of these kind "easy goals", as it is direct, visible proof for that something is done right.

Laine himself pointed to both Scheif and Perrault after his goal to credit the guys who made it so easy. As Laine previously said after similar "easy goal" (something like):

"I'd score 99 out of 100 of those"

For good offense it's merely an aim to make such 99 out of 100 changes, not something that would decrease the worth of effort. Besides, Laine has his own fair share of perfect passes to others 99 out of 100 easy goals.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post

Also I doubt that. Just because Matthews scores closer to the net doesn't mean their tap ins... Also how many EN goals does Laine have.... two, three? Not to take anything away from Laine who's a goal scoring machine but I just think it's a little ridiculous for you to throw this in Matthews face over an honest comment.
Haha kelly dont lose your cool. I know its hard been battlying it alot myself.

For the record matthews has 23 en goals laine has 19. Not a world of difference :p dont let it go out over Laine

Old
02-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Narow

Quote:
???

C'mon winter soldier being a bit to easy on the trigger finger here some comments are better to ignore Lets focus on those who want genuin discussion and not meassurement contest from now on.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:50 PM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se829ne View Post
More easy looking goals, better the offense. I only hope that Jets could make more of these kind "easy goals", as it is direct, visible proof for that something is done right.

Laine himself pointed to both Scheif and Perrault after his goal to credit the guys who made it so easy. As Laine previously said after similar "easy goal" (something like):

"I'd score 99 out of 100 of those"

For good offense it's merely an aim to make such 99 out of 100 changes, not something that would decrease the worth of effort. Besides, Laine has his own fair share of perfect passes to others 99 out of 100 easy goals.
I'd like to see less highlight goals, or shall I say more ugly/easy goals. Which I think we will.

All great goal scorers put themselves in position to score. That's what I was really trying to say. It's a skill whether you are Bossy/Hull/Ovie of finding open space even though most know they are the most dangerous players on the ice.

I focus on Laine quite a bit when the Jets play. And 1 thing that drives me crazy is how often he is open. But usually it's Buff seems to not notice. Esp on the PP. Trouba also.

The Jets could probably use an offensive D man more than a fwd. If they get one, I can see Laine even in a more advantageous position.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Nithoniniel

Quote:
Was that in regards to my comment?

I'm fairly certain Laine's own mother would not get worked up because someone said that a goal on basically an empty net came easy. Being so easily riled up can't be healthy.

Just to clarify to everyone and anyone, I didn't mean to imply anything negative in any way, nor did I have an agenda with that comment. It was simply an observation that I thought everyone would agree with.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Peggy

I really like how Laine keeps proving everyone wrong

Misses 8 games. Top 6 in goals
27 goals and 22 assists is a pretty good ratio

Old
02-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Narow

Quote:

I'm fairly certain Laine's own mother would not get worked up because someone said that a goal on basically an empty net came easy. Being so easily riled up can't be healthy.

Just to clarify to everyone and anyone, I didn't mean to imply anything negative in any way, nor did I have an agenda with that comment. It was simply an observation that I thought everyone would agree with.
Yeah i dont get it either.. i guess its the war memories from the draft in the summer being relieved or something.

Atleast i did not missunderstand you there i think alreast. To me it was a compliment you basically said Laine made it look i easy.. he dumped the puck and started looking for openings, scheifele went after it looked up found perrault who then passes Laine who puts it in.

It was an easy goal especially for someone skilled like Laine ... this is a non issue really.

It was not an particular complicated play at all. I like then playing a more simple game now.

Maybe some missunderstood you as if you tried to discredit Laine or something... after the past few weeks that has happened alot so now it appears to be super easy to be made out to try and discredi

Relax people. Everyone is not out to get Laine. Tone down on the defense here.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Kelly
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Quote:
Haha kelly dont lose your cool. I know its hard been battlying it alot myself.

For the record matthews has 23 en goals laine has 19. Not a world of difference :p dont let it go out over Laine
Lol I meant empty net goals! I just don't see the problem saying it was an easy goal.. Every player has them, good on Laine seeing the opening and getting there and not flubbing it (Matthews has done this more than I like to admit this year). he also started the whole play by chipping it into the corner for Schiefele.

Quote:

Yeah lol, and I think most level headed people knew what you meant. Fleury bit hard and Laine had the full 4x6 to shoot at. Nothing wrong with saying it was an "easy goal" because it was.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Peggy

Quote:
Yeah i dont get it either.. i guess its the war memories from the draft in the summer being relieved or something.

Atleast i did not missunderstand you there i think alreast. To me it was a compliment you basically said Laine made it look i easy.. he dumped the puck and started looking for openings, scheifele went after it looked up found perrault who then passes Laine who puts it in.

It was an easy goal especially for someone skilled like Laine ... this is a non issue really.

It was not an particular complicated play at all. I like then playing a more simple game now.

Maybe some missunderstood you as if you tried to discredit Laine or something... after the past few weeks that has happened alot so now it appears to be super easy to be made out to try and discredi

The play started from Laine in the neutral and he finished it
That's exactly what you want lol
It's odd the focus is on the difficulty of the shot

Old
02-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Nithoniniel

Quote:

To be honest, with how this debate has been more or less all year, I'm not surprised that people see negative implications everywhere. TWS should know me better than that though, I'm not that kind of poster.

Not sure where this thread would be without your genuine enthusiasm for hockey, Narow. Keep up the good work, and let's hope more people follow your example!

Old
02-17-2017, 02:21 PM
soothsayer

vCash: 50
Let's see, Laine has as many goals as Matthews and more points in fewer games played? On paper this is obviously Laine's trophy to lose. But we all know Toronto's Trumpish self-centered reality machine will come through and expose itself to everyone once and for all.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:23 PM
Narow

Quote:
Lol I meant empty net goals! I just don't see the problem saying it was an easy goal.. Every player has them, good on Laine seeing the opening and getting there and not flubbing it (Matthews has done this more than I like to admit this year).
Shhh we only count those goals we dont speak about them hahaha.

C'mon this is freaking hilarious our rookies freaking beasts.

Aslong as it goes in it shouldnt matter unless we are talking about something subjective like prettiest plays and such. I hope Matthews gets some empty netters as it does feel a bit cheap comparing matthews goals vs Laines at this point :/ its not my fault the other teams take out their goalie against one of the best shooters in the game youd think they would have learned by now.

The important thing is that they can score consistently.

And Laine should have had one more empty netter (hit the post from far out ) so he is definatly trusted in those situations being one up with seconds to go.

To be honest im mad he did miss that first empty one he would have had 20 way before christmas!

I also like that the team has been recognizing him as being the best shooter on the team (only buff seem to disagree) most rather pass him than shoot themself trusting Laines shot more than their own.

And i couldnt be happier! Gotta enjoy all the little things

Old
02-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Narow

Quote:
To be honest, with how this debate has been more or less all year, I'm not surprised that people see negative implications everywhere. TWS should know me better than that though, I'm not that kind of poster.

Not sure where this thread would be without your genuine enthusiasm for hockey, Narow. Keep up the good work, and let's hope more people follow your example!
Hey thanks alot my friend i appreciate it. Luckily in not the only one here

Old
02-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Halberdier

Quote:
So matthews has assisted half of browns goals and more than half of hymans? Thats pretty good despite their low (relative) anmount of goals. How much have they assisted Matthews? Just wondering here out if genuine interest.
Nobody is actually interested, but Matthews has assisted only 1/3 of Brown's goals and only 1/4 of Hyman's goals. Not "1/2" and "more than 1/2".

Closed Thread