HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Race 2016/2017 #7

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2017, 07:41 AM
grieves

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfernandes29 View Post
Awesome run by all these rookies so far. Admittedly, I am biased towards Matthews/Marner as a Leafs fan and watch them a lot more than Laine but you have to give credit to Laine for what he's doing as well.

What's remarkable to me about Auston is that even with his incredible puck retrieval skills and being a two-way centre he only has SIX penalties on the season. That to me is a pretty remarkable stat.

Also, just to play devils advocate here.....

At the start of the year, every Jets/Laine fan was saying "if you take away the 4 goal game by Matthews, his numbers aren't THAT good." Well here's one for you as well, if you take away the 3 games in which Laine scored his hat tricks, he only has 17 goals in the other 48 games. That's a rate of 0.35 GPG. lmao
Well you sure showed him! C'mon man...

Old
02-15-2017, 07:42 AM
BDizzle*

I'm curious if any NHL Stat site keeps track of empty net goals. I would like to find out who leads the league in empty net goals, and what the record is in a season etc.

Also, I'm curious to know how many each rookie has this year too.

Old
02-15-2017, 07:47 AM
Sam Spade

Marner and Matthews split the vote and Laine swoops in and takes it.

All three would be excellent and appropriate choices.

Old
02-15-2017, 07:52 AM
BDizzle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigThree View Post
Some one give me a video of laine creating a play for himself and scoring. All I ever see is power play goals and sweet passes on his goals. I want to see this skill all peg fans talk about where they say he's equal to matthews. Matthews and marner constantly create their own plays and carry their lines. Why isn't there laine compilation of the little things he does like matthews? Oh right. Because he's not even remotely close to matthews or marner.
I would love to see a video of this as well. You see many for Matthews, Marner and Nylander; but all the highlights I ever see from Laine are Powerplay goals or him finishing a 2 on 1 with him receiving a beautiful pass. I admit he does have a nice highlight package of his snipes which the majority are on the PP it seems.

Other than his offense, I would like to see a video highlight package of him making strong defensive plays, stealing pucks, creating gift wrapped opportunities for his teammates etc. I have yet to see that, so if one exists please let me know. I have heard from Jet fans that he is above average defensively, so I would assume a highlight package would exist.

Old
02-15-2017, 07:55 AM
Pavels Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDizzle View Post
I'm curious if any NHL Stat site keeps track of empty net goals. I would like to find out who leads the league in empty net goals, and what the record is in a season etc.

Also, I'm curious to know how many each rookie has this year too.
NHL.com tracks it. Grabner leads the league with 4 ENG. Most of the top rookies don't have any ENGs, Laine and Aho have 2 each.

Old
02-15-2017, 07:56 AM
BDizzle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
NHL.com tracks it. Grabner leads the league with 4 ENG. Most of the top rookies don't have any ENGs, Laine and Aho have 2 each.
Thank you for this, I greatly appreciate it.

Old
02-15-2017, 07:57 AM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Laine is rewriting history. Joining an elite club. Fun watching it unfold this season. I wonder can he do one better, and be the youngest 18 year old to 4 hattricks in the NHL. The Jets have some tough games coming up.

Old
02-15-2017, 07:58 AM
Narow

Quote:
I would love to see a video of this as well. You see many for Matthews, Marner and Nylander; but all the highlights I ever see from Laine are Powerplay goals or him finishing a 2 on 1 with him receiving a beautiful pass. I admit he does have a nice highlight package of his snipes which the majority are on the PP it seems.

Other than his offense, I would like to see a video highlight package of him making strong defensive plays, stealing pucks, creating gift wrapped opportunities for his teammates etc. I have yet to see that, so if one exists please let me know. I have heard from Jet fans that he is above average defensively, so I would assume a highlight package would exist.
Since youtube or nhl are being *******s and are removing his videos there is not much up anymore. Here is a reupploaded video of 4 games what type of plays he does outside of misstakes. Unfortunately seems to be very little defensive plays in that one :/ there were others with many more..game 26-29 and 30 something but those are taken down

Last edited by Narow: 02-15-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old
02-15-2017, 07:58 AM
ijuka

Quote:
Meh, what would you call his second goal of this hat trick?

Old
02-15-2017, 07:59 AM
grieves

Quote:

Ask and you shall receive:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEK...U332NLw/videos

EDIT: videos 3-8

EDIT 2: I'm sure you don't expect him to play like Matthews? He doesn't need to grind because he is a sniper.

Old
02-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Gsus
Not Nico Hischier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
Guess they are somehow pretty much trusted when protecting the lead.

Old
02-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Steamwhistle

vCash: 50
Quote:

8 of his 26 goals are PP goals, it seems like you're being a little too selective watching his highlights. I don't know why you're trying so hard to discredit him but he creates space all over the ice, you just have to watch him outside of his "highlights" that you probably spent 5 minutes watching on youtube.

Old
02-15-2017, 08:02 AM
Rick74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Marner and Matthews split the vote and Laine swoops in and takes it.

All three would be excellent and appropriate choices.
I told ya. In a close race, Matthews gets the nod. His winning means Americans have more of a vested interest in hockey.

They don't care about a Canadian and especially don't care about a fin who plays in a small Canadian market. But you can sure as hell market an American who just so happens to be from the exact area Bettman is trying to expand the market too.

Maybe when the NHL expands to Europe, Laine would have an inherent advantage?

Old
02-15-2017, 08:09 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamwhistle View Post
8 of his 26 goals are PP goals, it seems like you're being a little too selective watching his highlights. I don't know why you're trying so hard to discredit him but he creates space all over the ice, you just have to watch him outside of his "highlights" that you probably spent 5 minutes watching on youtube.
Even on his ENG last night, he toe-dragged/chipped the puck to the boards to evade a checker, then aimed and fired at the net. That shows a decent bit of situational awareness to get the puck into open space.

Old
02-15-2017, 08:09 AM
BDizzle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamwhistle View Post
I do tune into quite a few games of his (probably about 20ish on the season). I just don't see the great defensive abilities that many claim are there.

But he does have a terrific offensive package that I eluded to.

Old
02-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

8 PPG out of 26. I wouldn't call that "Majority of Snipes".

More remarkable it is that hasn't frequented in PPs up to his potential.

Then - for example - beer league players like:

Crosby 10/30
Ovechkin 11/26
Draisaitl 10/21
Simmonds 11/23

to mention only few. Against them Patty seems doing pretty fine with his 5-vs-5 goals. I don't know what's your point dear BDizzle, though I can see the underlying motive of it.

Old
BB88

Quote:

He has 8 pp goals, he has sniped plenty of goals, beaten the goalie clean.He's not getting constantly set up for open nets. Here even simple passes are made A-mazing because Scheifele made them, just like no one else could pass the puck 5m on a straight line to Laine.

Let him have the puck in the offensive zone and he's a threat from everywhere.

There are multiple highlight videos where are clips of his defensive games, just fo through them.

Old
Gsus
Not Nico Hischier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
Even on his ENG last night, he toe-dragged/chipped the puck to the boards to evade a checker, then aimed and fired at the net. That shows a decent bit of situational awareness to get the puck into open space.

B-b-b-b but that was another Finn trying to defend him so obviously we don't if he even tried. And secondly it's still an empty netter which obviously don't count.

Old
02-15-2017, 08:11 AM
janesy12
Leafs Nation

What a race this year. It's gonna come down to the wire, but I still think if it's close it goes to Matthews. Say what you want, position matters. Centre is much harder to play than the wing.

Old
02-15-2017, 08:11 AM
BDizzle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narow View Post
Since youtube or nhl are being *******s and are removing his videos there is not much up anymore. Here is a reupploaded video of 4 games what type of plays he does outside of misstakes.
Thank you, this is the best one I've seen yet. It even shows some minor plays like "avoiding a hit" etc and isn't entirely about offense. The highlight package contains some nice plays.

I appreciate you sharing this with me (and others).

Old
02-15-2017, 08:12 AM
AnonoJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
I was active in the last thread when it "turned" last night. Matthews game was over and nobody was bashing Laine, Laine had scored and nobody was bashing Matthews. It wasnt until Laine's empty netter that a guy who was neither a Leafs or Jets fan, but a finnish Laine homer, come in chest thumping and slinging mud at Leafs fans. Then another joined in, and another ect.

Maybe the Laine fans should chill and stop starting these little feuds?
You must be kidding. These threads are completely dominated by individuals who find reason to downplay Laine's success. Whether that is bashing or not is in the eyes of the beholder. A never ending series of arguments are trotted out and recycled. The latest is the linemate theme, which some Laine detractors seem entirely obsessed with. Of course, these arguments are followed up on by Laine fans.

You will find no where near the same obsession with finding fault in Matthew's games. Which as a Jet's and Laine fan, I find to be impressive. In fact, I feel that based upon overall performance, he should win the Calder. But there can be no denying that many of his fans feel the need to downplay or insult Laine's success to somehow feel better about Matthews.

Old
02-15-2017, 08:15 AM
BDizzle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se829ne View Post

Crosby 10/30
Ovechkin 11/26
Draisaitl 10/21
Simmonds 11/23

to mention only few. Against them Patty seems doing pretty fine with his 5-vs-5 goals. I don't know what's your point dear BDizzle, though I can see the underlying motive of it.

A few people of linked me videos of his highlight packages that don't include just his snipes and I am thankful for that. I got to see a condensed package of his skills other than just his offensive.

Also, since you called me out; I will reiterate what I said as reading comprehension is important. I said the majority of highlight goals I have seen from him are either PP goals or snipes. So please stop twisting my words around and say that he only scores on the PP.

Thanks again for the posters who have linked me video's I do appreciate that.

Old
02-15-2017, 08:16 AM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:

I don't know where you have been this season, there have been many videos posted on Laine. They are easy to notice.

Okay you asked. Let's just start with his 3 hattricks this season. There are certainly more than just 2 on 1's and PP goals from these games. I am sure other posters can post the other videos.

1st hat trick

2nd Hat trick

3rd Hat trick

Old
02-15-2017, 08:17 AM
janesy12
Leafs Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se829ne View Post

Crosby 10/30
Ovechkin 11/26
Draisaitl 10/21
Simmonds 11/23

He has scored 30% of his goals on the power play, vs Matthews who's scored 15% of his there. Add Laine's 2 ENG that's 38% of his goals with an advantage.

That's quite a difference.

Then Matthews has scored 23 goals at even strength. With Laine scoring 18, again that's quite a difference.

I'm not trying to bash either player, both are fantastic franchise players, but the nod right now goes to Matthews based on production at ES and position.

Old
02-15-2017, 08:18 AM
Narow

Quote:
Thank you, this is the best one I've seen yet. It even shows some minor plays like "avoiding a hit" etc and isn't entirely about offense. The highlight package contains some nice plays.

I appreciate you sharing this with me (and others).
No problems the creator of then are here on hfboarfs ^^ he had many of those up but unfortunately got removed.

When/if they come back ill link you them so you get to see many defensive plays and picking opponents and teammates passes out of the air

Closed Thread