HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Matt Murray Calder Talk?

Old
02-15-2017, 11:20 PM
Human
cynic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceBergeronFan View Post
Because of 40-50 games on a stacked team, if he even maintains these stats?

Far less pressure on him to do well.
Tim Thomas won two Vezinas playing 54 and respectively 57 games out of 82 on a stacked team, especially defensively...

The second part of your post won you "the dumbest post of the week" award. Congrats...

Human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 11:23 PM
Bending and Tending

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDNicks17 View Post
I don't think he has any business being in the conversation with Laine, Marner or Matthews.
lol okay. A Stanley Cup winning goaltender isn't even in the conversation??

Bending and Tending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 01:45 AM
Cherpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bending and Tending View Post
lol okay. A Stanley Cup winning goaltender isn't even in the conversation??
Nah, didn't you know it happened last season?

Cherpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 06:39 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

well the Cup did happen last season and isn't a part of this season.

I think Murray is a top 3 player among rookies, but due to injuries, I don't think he's on track to have a top 3 season among rookies.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 08:57 AM
Cherpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
well the Cup did happen last season and isn't a part of this season.

I think Murray is a top 3 player among rookies, but due to injuries, I don't think he's on track to have a top 3 season among rookies.
The Calder is also based on a set number of games played that determines rookie status. It doesn't just have to be in one season. Anything that occurred during his rookie clock should be included and considered as part of his Calder consideration. Stanley Cup winner included.

Last edited by Cherpak: 02-16-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old
02-16-2017, 09:30 AM
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherpak View Post
The Calder is also based on a set number of games played that determines rookie status. It doesn't just have to be in one season. Anything that occurred during his rookie clock should be included and considered as part of his Calder consideration. Stanley Cup winner included.
Should be is irrelevant. What is considered is the current year that that the award is being presented in. Murray will have to beat out the top 3 and maybe more using this season's stats and accomplishments for him to win anything. The playoffs last year and even this year have absolutely no bearing on who will win.

Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 09:35 AM
TheBeastCoast

Quote:
No, the Calder award is a season based award saying otherwise is ridiculous. What he did last year and especially in the playoffs has absolutely no bearing in the award....Since when have any awards ever crossed seasons?

TheBeastCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Raymoondo
Leafs Cup 2020

vCash: 50
I'm sure his second Cup in two years should be enough to console him if he doesn't win

Raymoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 09:54 AM
Cherpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastCoast View Post
No, the Calder award is a season based award saying otherwise is ridiculous. What he did last year and especially in the playoffs has absolutely no bearing in the award....Since when have any awards ever crossed seasons?
You do know that the reason he is still considered a rookie this year from last is because he qualifies with a number of games played right? The playoffs don't count towards his # of games. Thats the NHL's stipulation for "rookie".

The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League (NHL).

Annual award doesn't mean "season".

That being said, no I don't believe he will win it. Its either Matthews or Laine's to win. Murray should get consideration if he plays 50 games and keeps his game up though.

Last edited by Cherpak: 02-16-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old
02-16-2017, 10:26 AM
TheBeastCoast

Quote:
You do know that the reason he is still considered a rookie this year from last is because he qualifies with a number of games played right? The playoffs don't count towards his # of games. Thats the NHL's stipulation for "rookie".

The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League (NHL).

Annual award doesn't mean "season".

That being said, no I don't believe he will win it. Its either Matthews or Laine's to win. Murray should get consideration if he plays 50 games and keeps his game up though.
Yes I obviously know he is a rookie But you know what Annual doesn't mean? Last year, like you can't include last years stats in the consideration for the award. Not to mention that playoffs have never been a part of a regular season award. You can make a case for Murray without trying to move the goalposts and include the parts of his season last year when it has no place in the conversation.

Old
02-16-2017, 10:29 AM
mikaH

Not enough games + outstanding rookie forward class, so no.

mikaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Cherpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastCoast View Post
Yes I obviously know he is a rookie But you know what Annual doesn't mean? Last year, like you can't include last years stats in the consideration for the award. Not to mention that playoffs have never been a part of a regular season award. You can make a case for Murray without trying to move the goalposts and include the parts of his season last year when it has no place in the conversation.
Actually it does. This ongoing season started back in October, the same YEAR that he won the cup. So again tell me why the voters shouldn't consider what he did in the same YEAR as his rookie season?

Don't bother to answer because I'm certain you'll keep saying "season" as it applies to annual.

Like I said earlier, if he plays around 50 games and keeps his numbers around what they are now he has to at least be considered.

Last edited by Cherpak: 02-16-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old
02-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Actually it does. This ongoing season started back in October, the same YEAR that he won the cup. So again tell me why the voters shouldn't consider what he did in the same YEAR as his rookie season?

Don't bother to answer because I'm certain you'll keep saying "season" as it applies to annual.

Seems some here are very defensive that Murray could interfere with their celebration of "their" Calder winner.
Do you actually have an example of a player getting Calder votes because of play before the season in which the award was rewarded? I can't think of any, but you seem so adamantly convinced that this, unlike all other awards that are voted on pre-playoffs, takes the previous season into account, that I assume that you have something to back it up with.

When has any award in the NHL been given out to the player with the most successful calendar year, instead of the player with the most successful season?

Old
02-16-2017, 10:52 AM
TheBeastCoast

Quote:

Like I said earlier, if he plays around 50 games and keeps his numbers around what they are now he has to at least be considered.
Okay....You are looking for voters to consider things that have literally never been considered in award voting before. This is just a bunch of non sense honestly. Like I said he can be in the conversation for the award just based on his play this year you really don't need to move the goal posts to fit a narrative you are pushing with no basis in reality. Whether you like it or not, Murray's playoffs last year will 100% not be a factor in his Calder votes.

Old
02-16-2017, 10:56 AM
SnazzyNazzy

Quote:
Umm when has anything in the NHL been measured in a Calendar year, not sure how you came to that conclusion?

Sorry to jump on that but doesn't make sense.

SnazzyNazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 11:22 AM
Lari

Matthews, Laine, Werenski. Those should be the finalists. Marner is a good challenger, and we still have a lot of games to go.

Murray might be in top 5? Or maybe not, I might have Tkachuk still ahead of him. But he is somewhere up there. Top 10 for sure.

Calder? No way.

Lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Coach Travis
Back2Back!!!

He'll be penalized in the mind of voters for playing for the Cup Champs. Without taking anything away from Murray because I think there's a lot of years where he'd be a Calder favourite, but he just happens to have entered a pretty outstanding rookie class.

Coach Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:21 PM
Sniper99
MF Starboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
poor Matt Tkachuk
his poor mouth guard. Poor thing is like gum to him. Hes the Pete Caroll of the NHL

nice stats for Murray but I dont think he wins it.

Matthews
Laine
Marner
Werenski
to name a few. Lots of competition for Murray.

Sniper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:18 AM
BlueBrunswick

If Murray gets to 50 plus games played he'll be a finalist - he's top 5 in GAA and SV%. That being said, going back 50 years, most times goalies that have won the Calder have played 60 or more games... Marty did it only playing in the mid 40s and so did an 18 year old Barasso

BlueBrunswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Shoofyou10

He wont win it but he does deserve to be in the discussion and I do think he's getting overlooked, partially because people almost dont see him as a rookie after the cup run last year, and because of the insanely good offensive rookie class this year. But being in the top 5 in save % and GAA should for sure put him in the conversation.

Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:06 AM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Matthews and Laine are locks.

Question is really, Murray vs Marner. All things considered, I believe the nod should go to Murray.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:11 AM
Lari

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Matthews and Laine are locks.

Question is really, Murray vs Marner. All things considered, I believe the nod should go to Murray.
Werenski is ahead of both.

Lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:15 AM
Nithoniniel

He'd need to play a bit more. If he doesn't, he won't be in the picture, but if he does he might just be the front-runner.

Nithoniniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:17 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
Tim Thomas won two Vezinas playing 54 and respectively 57 games out of 82 on a stacked team, especially defensively...

The second part of your post won you "the dumbest post of the week" award. Congrats...
Tim Thomas separated himself in the stats department both the years he won. Matt Murray's season is comparable to Lundqvist where the rookie class is unbelievable. And the Vezina class has been just as difficult. Lundqvist also carried the team in a way in 06. Games played will become a factor absolutely, and the team he plays for will not help.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:36 AM
DickSmehlik

I don't understand why people care who is going to be 3rd or 4th runner up.

The Calder is going to come down to either Laine or Matthews and those are the only two that should be in the conversation because while there are other good rookies, no one else has a chance to win.

DickSmehlik is offline   Reply With Quote