HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHLers you admire as a person

Old
02-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Kanneda

vCash: 500
NHLers you admire as a person

That's it, tell me players you are a big fan of because of their attitude on and off the ice. Because of their qualities as human beings, their work ethic, or simply due to them being funny/badass.
Mines are Burns tier 0, he's simply god, such a free spirit that cares about the things that matter and nothing else. Also all the story with him and Scott in last season's all star was awesome, and Scott is also worth to mention.
And on my team it's Zucc for sure, he plays like he's way bigger than he is and he's such a respectful and funny guy.

Kanneda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:01 PM
aemoreira1981

Seriously, one has to admire Sidney Crosby---the most unassuming player off the ice and never gets into any bad headlines. He is a true leader. Crosby doesn't even seek out the limelight away from the sport.

aemoreira1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:05 PM
Drake744
Monster Block

vCash: 344
Kessel
Subban
Burns
Jagr
Luongo

Homer pick: Mike Fisher

Honorable Mention: Paul Bissonette

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:09 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Seriously, one has to admire Sidney Crosby---the most unassuming player off the ice and never gets into any bad headlines. He is a true leader. Crosby doesn't even seek out the limelight away from the sport.
Was about to say that, he's the best player in the world and arguably the best of his generation, yet he seems like a simple dude.

Birko19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:12 PM
bobbydigital

Zach Parise
Justin Williams
Henrik Zetterberg
Carey Price

Homer Pick: Jonathan Toews

bobbydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:14 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Skates like a deer

vCash: 67
Jarome Iginla.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:15 PM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

Dominic Moore for me. Went to Harvard and wife had cancer lots of character and inspiration to draw from him.

IceManCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:16 PM
kk87

Duchene for sure, classy as they come

kk87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:16 PM
MinimaMoralia

Georges Laraque.

Never had the most skill, but he never ever stopped trying his best on the ice. Legit love of the game.
Off the ice, an incredible human. Proud vegan and tireless animal activist, co-owner of a local Edmonton based Kombucha brand, supports local and organic markets, renewable farming and renewable energy. He always has time for absolutely everyone. No one is invisible to him. I see him around town at least once every few months, and no matter how busy he is, he always acts like you are the only person in the world he wants to be talking with at that moment. Always laughing, always smiling, always hugging.
I once invited him out to join me at a volunteer event for a farm animal rescue society just outside the city. He not only came, but he made the entire thing a blast, and worked harder than anyone.

Basically, Georges rocks.

MinimaMoralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Arselona

Almost none I know well enough to pass a judgement. I guess Scotty Niedermayer seems ok, though obviously he's retired. Apparently Georges Laraque is a vegan which shows he cares not only about himself.

Arselona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
93LEAFS

Unless you know these guys firsthand its hard to know without knowing them. I mean, I've bumped into Kessel since he's been traded and he's a really nice guy.

Out of former NHLers. I will say this, Red Kelly is one of the best ambassadors the game of hockey could ever have. He does similar things to Cherry just showing up to random rinks to talk to kids and tell them about the Leafs history while being a great person in an ambassador role to the team. Other great guys are Ken Dryden, Dimitri Yuskevitch, and Doug Gilmour.

93LEAFS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Kryptekah
Rookie User

Honestly Brendan Gallagher and Mitch Marner.

Kryptekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Robbler
#FireHolland

Don't really admire people who get paid millions to shoot a chunk of rubber around. But I always thought Iginla and Yzerman were classy dudes.

Robbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Daeni10
Kunitz was there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
Was about to say that, he's the best player in the world and arguably the best of his generation, yet he seems like a simple dude.
I think it's also pretty impressive that even though he is covered by the media for so so long there were never any scandals or honestly even normal private stuff that got public. If I compare that to any other top player of a sport ( for example Messi/Ronaldo in soccer *shrug* )he is pretty much invisible. Makes you feel like the only difference between him and you is that he is the best hockey player in the world and you are not

Daeni10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Kanneda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbler View Post
Don't really admire people who get paid millions to shoot a chunk of rubber around. But I always thought Iginla and Yzerman were classy dudes.
One of the things I love of this sport is that most of their stars while being millionaires they don't get crazy and buy golden ferraris or stuff like that. Most of them stay humble and enjoying the same things as when they weren't famous. Or at least is what it looks like.
Some of them party hard in the summer (Kane, Seguin), but nothing too outlandish.

Kanneda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:25 PM
93LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeni10 View Post
I think it's also pretty impressive that even though he is covered by the media for so so long there were never any scandals or honestly even normal private stuff that got public. If I compare that to any other top player of a sport ( for example Messi/Ronaldo in soccer *shrug* )he is pretty much invisible. Makes you feel like the only difference between him and you is that he is the best hockey player in the world and you are not
How guys are covered here is way different than Europe. I don't think the mainstream media here goes looking for bad stories on guys. That has changed a bit with the internet era (Deadspin, etc), but its nothing compared to England. I think most big names in Hockey have avoided scandals. I mean obviously, there is the P. Kane situation (too complex to really pass judgement on) or Toews getting charged with underage drinking (which means really nothing). I can't really think of bad rumors about guys like Ovi, Malkin, Tavares, Stamkos, etc.

I mean, the bad stuff about Michael Jordan, for example, didn't leak until the Jordan Rules book.

93LEAFS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:26 PM
Trilliann

vCash: 120
Max Domi,
for his work with children with type 1 diabetes

Trilliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:30 PM
OwenFully

I remember when a young kid at my school who was a huge Habs fan got terminal cancer Mike Komisarek went out of his way on multiple occasions to spend time with him, gained a lot of respect for him because of that

OwenFully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:30 PM
JT Kreider
FIRE AV

Jaromir. Jagr.

JT Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:31 PM
Nick of Time
HFBoards Sponsor

Been waiting for a thread like this...

Ryan Callahan

If people here knew him more personally, and knew what he did off the ice for people and the community, he would not get as much disrespect for being overpaid and whatnot. A nice portion of that fat check goes back to the community. He would not have been able to launch his foundation without his current contract. Right now he is fighting a possible career altering injury and deserves a better fate.

02-15-2017, 01:31 PM
OwenFully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliann View Post
Max Domi,
for his work with children with type 1 diabetes
By all accounts I've heard however, he's an absolute d-bag off the ice

OwenFully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Blainer114
Maverick

Crosby, takes the time to give autograph to everyone
Hamonic, meets and greets fans and kids after every game

Blainer114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Weast
Ryan O'Money

Iginla
Crosby
Landeskog

Weast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Hogan86

As a Leafs fan it hurts almost to nominate Sens players. However, I did work in the Canadian Tire Centre for 6 weeks and rubbed shoulders with a few of the players. And the nicest guys on the team were Chris Neil and Chris Phillips. Class acts for sure. You could tell the younger guys just respected and looked up to them. Also the fact that Phillips delayed his start in the WHL a year to stay at home with his blind dad and sick mother who had contracted a virus, shows what kind of character he has. That could have been a career ending move, but it worked out in the end.

Other NHLers to admire: Pavel Datsyuk (I mean he only won the Lady Byng four straight seasons), Paul Kariya, Jarome Iginla, Markus Nasland, Sidney Crosby, etc etc. These guys are all top players now or in their day, all wore letters for their teams, and they were never idiots off the ice or made the tabloids. this list could be alot longer, but these names came to mind.

Hogan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:36 PM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

I have bias, but at the same time it's justified as both Kiprusoff and Iginla are very charitable and classy human beings.

For those who aren't the most charitable and I've met, I'd say Ekholm, Josi, Hellebuyck and Parayko. Very intelligent, extremely down to earth, and generous people.

I'm a huge fan of Sidney Crosby, he's a fantastic human being. Kariya and the Sedins are excellent people as well. I love Mattias Ohlund as a person as well. Andrew Ference and Dan Girardi are both great people even if they are terrible players.

RainierBeat is offline   Reply With Quote