HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHLers you admire as a person

Old
02-15-2017, 01:38 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

vCash: 500
Admiring famous people is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

That said, just gonna throw this out there: Andrew Ference seems like a decent enough dude from afar.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 0
For my Isles it starts with John Tavares, that guy is a winner. I don't know how many other guys take the craft as seriously as he does in terms of exploring all avenues on how to improve. That dedication is champion level.

There's also Kyle Okposo, I love that man. Spoken to him a few times at meet and greets and he's just a hell of a person, very engaging and down to earth. Happy for him and any success he gets going forward.

Garth Snow is a great guy to talk to too, don't know if I admire him but he's a guy you want to grab a beer with.

Travis Hamonic might be number one, his story is a rough one and what he does for kids after games is tear worthy. He's an emotional guy and after his trade request was rescinded because his family member got better he kinda got teary eyed and looked at a reporter and said, "Being an Islander is the best thing I do" and now I want the guy here for another 10 years.

I've heard excellent things abut Jarome Iginla, Bob Nystrom, Clark Gillies, Brian Leetch and Pat Lafontaine.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:39 PM
JohanFranzenstein
Mon The Biff

Purely based on the model trying to extort money from him, Jaromir Jagr.

JohanFranzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Ceremony
If not now when

vCash: 50
Gabriel Landeskog. Dreamboat.

02-15-2017, 01:40 PM
JT Kreider
FIRE AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick of Time View Post
Been waiting for a thread like this...

Ryan Callahan

If people here knew him more personally, and knew what he did off the ice for people and the community, he would not get as much disrespect for being overpaid and whatnot. A nice portion of that fat check goes back to the community. He would not have been able to launch his foundation without his current contract. Right now he is fighting a possible career altering injury and deserves a better fate.
Callahan is a good answer but the way he left still leaves a bad taste in many Rangers fans mouths. Admittedly it wasn't all his fault as he was just trying to get his after seeing the Rangers hand out millions of dollars to players in free agency who really didn't deserve it. And it's finally his chance to get paid and the Rangers finally decide now it is time we are more conservative with who gets the big money long term deals?

Cally did bust his *** from day one against the Bruins on St. Patricks day and it really was a treat to see him grow over the years.

JT Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Rolo

Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin

Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:43 PM
martinez

Zetterberg he's the total package
Red wing
Captain
Wife
Charity
Beard

martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:43 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeni10 View Post
I think it's also pretty impressive that even though he is covered by the media for so so long there were never any scandals or honestly even normal private stuff that got public. If I compare that to any other top player of a sport ( for example Messi/Ronaldo in soccer *shrug* )he is pretty much invisible. Makes you feel like the only difference between him and you is that he is the best hockey player in the world and you are not
Crosby's football comparable is 100% Thomas Müller.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:45 PM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin
I have two that beats them all, Evander Kane and Zach Bogosian.

RainierBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Trilliann

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenFully View Post
By all accounts I've heard however, he's an absolute d-bag off the ice
honestly, I don't even care
Him showing off his T1D tattoo got my little boy to finally wear his diabetes bracelet and not take it off as soon as he got out of the house

Last edited by Trilliann: 02-15-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Trilliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:48 PM
EdzosCrayon

As much as he annoyed Hawks fans on the ice when he was with St. Louis I have to say all of the dog/animal welfare stuff that David Backes does made it a little harder to hate him.

EdzosCrayon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:50 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Quote:

Ryan Callahan

If people here knew him more personally, and knew what he did off the ice for people and the community, he would not get as much disrespect for being overpaid and whatnot. A nice portion of that fat check goes back to the community. He would not have been able to launch his foundation without his current contract. Right now he is fighting a possible career altering injury and deserves a better fate.
Yes he would. He's not paid to give to charity, he's paid to play hockey. And he does not do that well.

Nice of him to give some of that unearned money to charity and all, but the **** he gets is 100% deserved.

The Macho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 50
David Backes.

Anyone who does that much for animals is a hero in my book.

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:52 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
Forgot About Sid

Sid for sure. I'm from Halifax and the fact he comes home every summer and dedicates lots of time to the community really shows. Proud of the guy and love how he's a role model for so many kids around here.

Have to look up to a lot of the veteran guys too, because this is a league of speed, endurance and strength, so for guys to have a long productive career you know they had to stay disciplined and have work ethic. For guys like me in their late 20s, that's something you want to try and emulate as you also enter into the prime of your life.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Foppberg

Sid, Iggy, Kessel

Foppberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Seriously, one has to admire Sidney Crosby---the most unassuming player off the ice and never gets into any bad headlines. He is a true leader. Crosby doesn't even seek out the limelight away from the sport.
This. That story that came out about a year ago with him signing a jersey for a fan still amazes me. Went something along the lines of that they put up a sign on the road outside their house asking for him to stop and sign the jersey. He saw it but wasnt able to stop at the time so he came back 2 weeks later and knocked on their door. People just dont do that sort of thing let alone world class athletes. Hes an amazing role model for kids.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:02 PM
The Shovel Penguin
Do work.

As far as current players go, for me it's Crosby. For all the complaints people have had about him on the ice, for better or worse on that -- as far as I've ever heard, he's an outstanding ambassador for the game off it. Keeps his nose clean, has patience when dealing with his level of exposure and expectations, and shows kindness and charity towards people in need even if there's no cameras around.

Granted we don't know people, but as far as athletes and public personas go, hockey players are way cooler than most professional athletes.

One of my all time favorite players is Pat LaFontaine, because he was always particularly kind and charitable.

The Shovel Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:03 PM
MartinS82

My son is a huge Ducks fan. Just before Christmas 2014 we ran into Cam Fowler and Smith-Pelly. My phone was dead, so no pic, nothing for them to sign, so they just talked to us for about 5 minutes. Asked my son what he wanted for Christmas, if he'd been good, etc. Just normal down to Earth guys. You could tell they knew what it was like to be the kid meeting your idols.

MartinS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:04 PM
Nick of Time
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Kreider View Post
Callahan is a good answer but the way he left still leaves a bad taste in many Rangers fans mouths. Admittedly it wasn't all his fault as he was just trying to get his after seeing the Rangers hand out millions of dollars to players in free agency who really didn't deserve it. And it's finally his chance to get paid and the Rangers finally decide now it is time we are more conservative with who gets the big money long term deals?

Cally did bust his *** from day one against the Bruins on St. Patricks day and it really was a treat to see him grow over the years.
Yup was at that game when he broke his foot blocking a Chara shot. Think it was the game you are referring to. Hopefully he can get back healthy soon. I don't blame some other Rangers fans for being upset. But it's over now it's the business of hockey . Still see a lot of fans wearing his jersey at games and so there is still a respect there for his work on and off the ice. Great avatar btw!

02-15-2017, 02:06 PM
my name is Bob

Mitch Marner... Constantly happy, hard working, did great things for the city of London as a Knight. Seems like an incredible guy.

my name is Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:07 PM
urho

vCash: 628
I don't know any of them. And I don't have that much interest in knowing them either, I just love the game. They're professional athletes, I'm a professional academic. I have interest in their world but I doubt many of them have in mine

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:07 PM
DominicBoltsFan
Go Bolts + Go Leafs!

vCash: 379
Quote:

Ryan Callahan

Good point. He is a very generous and charitable man. Still isn't very good at hockey anymore though.

As for the question, I'm weird, so I'm picking Jonathan Drouin and Patrik Laine. I feel like if I knew them, they'd be friends of mine. (Well, I mean, I met Drouin when he was a rookie, but it was just so he could sign my Drouin T-shirt and take a picture with me)

(I also have a picture with Mitch Marner from at the 2015 Draft).

DominicBoltsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
This. That story that came out about a year ago with him signing a jersey for a fan still amazes me. Went something along the lines of that they put up a sign on the road outside their house asking for him to stop and sign the jersey. He saw it but wasnt able to stop at the time so he came back 2 weeks later and knocked on their door. People just dont do that sort of thing let alone world class athletes. Hes an amazing role model for kids.
Yup that was the family of a girl I went to university with. The one I know in the family was away at the time and was so sad she couldn't have been a part of it but the family was extremely grateful. The whole cup parade and everything for him was quite something.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:13 PM
zibsbrokeleg

Dominic Moore

zibsbrokeleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 02:14 PM
Subban 76

Subban by far,

Not matter what may or may not have happened with the habs donating 10m to a childrens hospital is just incredible and shows what he is really about, he gives back to the community not that every other player hasnt but not many have done it to the degree Subban did. I have so much respect for Subby and he will always be one of my favourite players.

Subban 76 is offline   Reply With Quote