HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHLers you admire as a person

Old
02-15-2017, 05:41 PM
OwenFully

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliann View Post
honestly, I don't even care
Him showing off his T1D tattoo got my little boy to finally wear his diabetes bracelet and not take it off as soon as he got out of the house
Oh yeah, won't discount the good he does, it really has been admirable and who knows, maybe he has grown up.

I just think he's got quite a sense of entitlement from being raised by a rich NHLer who in his own right was a pretty terrible dude.

OwenFully is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 05:54 PM
BiPolarBear

There are many, probably most NHL players, are good people. Laraque stands out for me - passion for life, people and animals. The older I get the worse I feel about being a life long meat eater and I'm an atheist, just seems wrong to kill sentient beings to eat them.

BiPolarBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 06:10 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Brent Burns- For his work with the military.

Braden Holtby- For his numerous showings of LGBT support even outside of the NHL.

PK Subban- Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Adam Graves
I really don't think our team could ask for a better ambassador.

02-15-2017, 06:14 PM
CanadianPensFan1

There are a ton of guys. You see a lot of guys going to hospitals and visiting dick kids and you can see in some of their eyes, that it's killing them to see these kids like this. A few others you can tell are going through the motions. But, by and large, most seem genuinely wanting to be there.

A lot of it come down to .. these guys are millionaires. They don't have to do this stuff. But they take time out of their schedules, away from their families, away from their training .. to give a little back to the people that provide them with the life that they lead.

To me, that says a lot about the type of people they are.

So no specific names. Just a group of good dudes.

CanadianPensFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 06:17 PM
DJN21

As odd as it may seem for me it's patrick kaleta.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 06:20 PM
EdzosCrayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPensFan1 View Post
You see a lot of guys going to hospitals and visiting dick kids
This typo worked out wonderfully

EdzosCrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 06:21 PM
kingsholygrail
Smug

Kopitar seems like he'd be everyone's friend. I also would like to try Slovenian pancakes.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 06:35 PM
CanadianPensFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdzosCrayon View Post
This typo worked out wonderfully
Uh. Oops. I mean. Er. Well. SOME of those kids. Have. Those.

My apologies sick children, with or without those.

CanadianPensFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Bruinaura

I've never met any NHL players personally, but I'm surprised there's been no mention of Bergeron. I don't recall ever reading anything negative about him.

A friend of mine went to a Predators' game in Chicago a few years ago. She was at a coffee shop near the arena the day before, wearing her Preds jersey. All of a sudden she hears "hey, nice jersey!" and turns around and it was Shea Weber. He said it was nice to see their jersey in enemy territory. She got a picture with him. I'm still mad he's a Canadien now.

Bruinaura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Nosferatu

Hmm tough one. Burns looks like hes nice in real person. It has got do something with his eys. They look kind.

Last edited by Nosferatu: 02-15-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:09 PM
andre68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
Admiring famous people is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

That said, just gonna throw this out there: Andrew Ference seems like a decent enough dude from afar.
First person that came to mind.

Undersized, late round draft pick who worked tirelessly to become a mainstay in the National Hockey League. Won a Stanley Cup, and captained a team.

Those accomplishments aside, I find him to be an incredible individual and someone who other players would do well to emulate: is environmentally conscientious and effectively lobbied the NHL/NHLPA to be more proactive in this domain; is an outspoken supporter of the LGBTQ community; introduced a community-based program to promote physical activity; has travelled the world, and attempted to help communities abroad; worked toward a graduate degree in the latter years of his career; and is seemingly a good husband and father.

The Globe and Mail released a great story on him last year (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle28832504/), and the closing sentiment speaks to a lot about what I admire about the guy:

"When I’m really old, hockey will be a neat thing to talk about, but as far as real impact, I hope it will be the stuff I am doing from now on,” he says. “My kids won’t look back and be proud of how hard I could shoot the puck. Hopefully it will be because of other things.”

Was a fan of him as a player first, when he was with Wilkes-Barre, but came to appreciate and respect him far more as a person.

andre68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:31 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre68 View Post
First person that came to mind.

Undersized, late round draft pick who worked tirelessly to become a mainstay in the National Hockey League. Won a Stanley Cup, and captained a team.

Those accomplishments aside, I find him to be an incredible individual and someone who other players would do well to emulate: is environmentally conscientious and effectively lobbied the NHL/NHLPA to be more proactive in this domain; is an outspoken supporter of the LGBTQ community; introduced a community-based program to promote physical activity; has travelled the world, and attempted to help communities abroad; worked toward a graduate degree in the latter years of his career; and is seemingly a good husband and father.

The Globe and Mail released a great story on him last year (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle28832504/), and the closing sentiment speaks to a lot about what I admire about the guy:

"When I’m really old, hockey will be a neat thing to talk about, but as far as real impact, I hope it will be the stuff I am doing from now on,” he says. “My kids won’t look back and be proud of how hard I could shoot the puck. Hopefully it will be because of other things.”

Was a fan of him as a player first, when he was with Wilkes-Barre, but came to appreciate and respect him far more as a person.
Yep. I mostly knew about the environmental activism and that I haven't seen him mess up on twitter yet. The ones only paying lip service to LGBT rights and gender equality usually show their ***** on social media at some point, but he actively calls out the ****heads.
I wanted to mention someone, where I didn't feel like just giving some rich, white dude props for doing the absolute least, so your comment made me feel even better about it.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Maurice Del Taco

Jagr for his love of 18 year olds

Maurice Del Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
As much as Sid annoys the **** out of me on the ice, haven't heard a single bad word about him off of it.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:40 PM
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL

vCash: 919
I think Elias is a good one. Guy has done a lot overseas for the less fortunate nations ravaged by famine and poverty.

Zucc does the same and is a great hockey ambassador worldwide and for everyone who wants to play.

Obvious is Subban and Graves. I'm sure a lot of hockey players are the type who give back. Of course there are some bad apples or guys mailing it in but you can see how the guys feel when they interact with kids, other fans etc. The faces light up when they see their sport heros.

PlamsUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:51 PM
TNT87
Defending Champs

Definitely Sidney Crosby

Braden Holtby as well. During the Pens playoff series he was nice enough to give a young child battling cancer his goalie stick. Class act right there.

TNT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:52 PM
olli
olli

Evander Kane

olli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Calad
Section 422

Adam Graves for me, easily

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:56 PM
JimboA

Since the obvious ones have already been mentioned and deservedly so, I will go with a very random name here. I saw someone mention Landeskog, but I'd like to nominate his best friend, Ottawa's Fredrik Claesson! An incredibly funny guy who has hopefully found his place in the league by now. Need more people like him in the league.

Unfortunately the only video of him speaking English is him singing Jingle Bells.

JimboA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:57 PM
ProspectsFanatic
Artturi Lehkonen

Lindstrom aka "The Perfect Human Being"

ProspectsFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 07:58 PM
TeddyBare

Any player who has won the King Clancy Trophy

So...........
Henrik Sedin
Henrik Zetterberg
Bergeron
Doan

that means these guys are good ON and OFF the ice.

TeddyBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:02 PM
YouCantDoThat

Hamonic, helping kids who lost a loved one made me respect him a lot

YouCantDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 08:47 PM
Farms86
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban 76 View Post
Subban by far,

Not matter what may or may not have happened with the habs donating 10m to a childrens hospital is just incredible and shows what he is really about, he gives back to the community not that every other player hasnt but not many have done it to the degree Subban did. I have so much respect for Subby and he will always be one of my favourite players.
You know, it's not his money he's donating right? He's just taking credit for it. I mean, the year he pleadged other people's money, his own teammates didn't nominate him for the Masterson award. Kinda tells you everything right there. And I heard the only time he shows up to a hospital to visit, he has a camera crew with him

Farms86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 10:28 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farms86 View Post
You know, it's not his money he's donating right? He's just taking credit for it. I mean, the year he pleadged other people's money, his own teammates didn't nominate him for the Masterson award. Kinda tells you everything right there. And I heard the only time he shows up to a hospital to visit, he has a camera crew with him
Why is it always Subban people want to find fault with? There are several players who have been commended for having foundations and making hospital visits in this thread.

You also almost certainly did not mean the Masterton trophy there. That's the one you get for being old and still playing.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 11:31 AM
OwenFully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farms86 View Post
Did you make an account just to say this? Do you have any source to back this up or are you just talking out of your ass?

Honestly to me, who cares if there was a camera crew with him, maybe the attention he got for it will inspire more players to give back like he did. NOBODY can discredit how much Subban tried to do for the Montreal community

OwenFully is online now   Reply With Quote