HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Game Day Thread: Avs - Oilers

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 07:02 PM
gretzky2kurri

vCash: 500
My positives.

I thought Chimera had the right idea getting into a fight with Foote in the 1st period. After he got out of the box he ran Foote into the end boards pretty hard, causing a retaliation penalty.

It will come Radek. This guys gonna go on a points binge pretty soon. He has a nasty disposition to his game. I never expected that.

Happy with Moreau. Great goal! I always knew he had great speed.......but now he can really fly while carrying the puck.

The way he went after that guy who was thinking about fighting Cross has HUGE shock value on opponents. It says, "we're NOT pissing around tonight". The Oilers killed his extra 2 minutes off with ease. Worth it imho. Don't understand the 10 minutes though.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:05 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
And the rollarcoaster is on the way down...

By Tuesday, it will be up high again...
That's what makes being an Oiler fan exciting.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:06 PM
zamboni

I agree with scratching Brewer. Not even a TSN commercial can motivate this guy.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:07 PM
hockeyaddict101

Blaming Salo tonight is absolutely crap

Sorry but someone has got to say it.

The Oilers stood around watched Colorado who had multiple chances to score. Sorry but if you give Peter Forsburg two or three chances to put the puck in the net he is going to score, I don't care who is in the net.

Salo was left out to dry by a pathetic display in the defensive zone and too many undisciplined penalties.

Terry Sawchuk, Patrick Roy, Plante. Woudn't have mattered this evening they all would have been burned.

The only goal he had a chance was on the first pp goal. Next goal he makes the first save, makes a second save and then no one bothers to take Forsburg.

Next play again Forsburg is left completely alone by Semenov. No chance.

Last goal Brewer hands the puck away and the player passes it in front and Salo didn't even have a chance to get set.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:24 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Sorry but someone has got to say it.

The Oilers stood around watched Colorado who had multiple chances to score. Sorry but if you give Peter Forsburg two or three chances to put the puck in the net he is going to score, I don't care who is in the net.

Salo was left out to dry by a pathetic display in the defensive zone and too many undisciplined penalties.

Terry Sawchuk, Patrick Roy, Plante. Woudn't have mattered this evening they all would have been burned.

The only goal he had a chance was on the first pp goal. Next goal he makes the first save, makes a second save and then no one bothers to take Forsburg.

Next play again Forsburg is left completely alone by Semenov. No chance.

Last goal Brewer hands the puck away and the player passes it in front and Salo didn't even have a chance to get set.
I tend to agree. If a Brewer/Comrie package could bring back some reliable experienced D, Salos numbers would likely change.

Salo has been wiffing some plays....but not all of them. Every goal that isn't a highlite reel goal, seems to be all Tommys fault these days though.

I could be singing a different tune by Christmas, but I'm not throwing in the towel on what people are hoping is his "bounce back" season. I'm trying to forget about his play last year, and feel it's too early to rip up the clean slate I gave him to start the season.

That being said.......I hope Conks is not too badly injured......lol.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Salo.......for a little while longer.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:24 PM
GorillazXL

That was a horrible game... Brewer coughed up the puck four times, they all lead to goals. It seemed like the Oilers D didn't want to touch Forsberg, then again any time a player comes near him, the guy takes a dive . Salo came in cold, and the goals came quick...his confidence must be just shattered by the end of the game. I thought for the most part Dvorak, Smyth, Hemsky, Moreau and Reasoner all had good games. If Dvorak keeps his game up he's bound to get a few goals, hopefully he doesn't let up.

GXL

Old
10-23-2003, 07:26 PM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

ouch, absolutely brutal game...no one seemed interested tonight.
And I agree with you guys...we should sit Brewer until he decides to show up. I was optimistic over the summer that this would be his breakout year...but it seems more like breaking down.

well, its still early, but this Jekyll and Hyde play better stop soon.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:18 PM
OYLer

Blowouts are symptomatic of a more telltale disease - frustration comes to mind. When the effort is there, willingness to sacrifice is there, and we all believe the raw talent is there, what then is the problem? Maybe an overall rethink of the current Oilers' systems are in order. A more realistic approach to defending penetration into the defensive zone is key. Play tailored to get the puck out of the defensive end first, is necessary, even to the exclusion of puck control.

In the new defensive NHL, a new impetus has arisen from the AHL. Defensive aggressiveness, to push the puck ahead and wear down the opposition is what wins hockey games. Out hussle your opposition and they can't out score you if they are made to pay the price!

Old
10-23-2003, 08:22 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

I spent most of the day sipping bitter beer at the Commercial with my sister-in-law.

Sounds like I didn't miss much...

Old
10-23-2003, 08:27 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Blowouts are symptomatic of a more telltale disease - frustration comes to mind.
I would argue that is has more to do with youth.

Flat out, the Avs are a savvy veteran team. The Oilers are in the midst of rebuilding/retooling/whatever you wish to call it. This is not a game the Oilers are expected to win, however, nobody expects them to put a lemon out there, either.

Salo defenders continue to be strong, but the fact remains, this guys GAA is approaching Raciot-like levels! Well, maybe not that bad, but it still aint pretty.

Brewer I would be worried about too, but he is too good to play like crap for too much longer.

Running a team of an average age as low as the Oilers is catching up to them. They cannot expect to make the playoffs without some veteran presences to keep the team calmer & less prone to mistakes, and holding players accountable.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:53 PM
oilflash

I'm not to sure why the Oilers lost this game but i know it had something to do with trying too hard not toi make mistakes rather than trying to simply get the puck out, pressure to gain control and then put that black little disc into their net! Does this make sense to anyone?

Old
10-23-2003, 09:43 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I would argue that is has more to do with youth.

Brewer I would be worried about too, but he is too good to play like crap for too much longer.

Running a team of an average age as low as the Oilers is catching up to them. They cannot expect to make the playoffs without some veteran presences to keep the team calmer & less prone to mistakes, and holding players accountable.
Mizral, you soothe with such tender pity for us the forlorn Oilers' hopefuls. On this night was revealed the young Oilers' weakness. A coaching complacency to veteran underachievement. That is if, any other team, would consider Brewer a veteran? But then life is a *****; we can only die unhappily, or change and disrupt our comfort zones.

Four losses and only three wins with humiliation having been visited upon the hapless Copper & Blue this night needs serious reflection. But Tommy Salo is not the goat here. Poorly concieved forchecking and badly executed puck acquisition systems are. Defensive breakdowns begin in the offensive zone when puck support becomes an afterthought. I woulda, I coulda, and finally I shoulda ...

Old
10-23-2003, 09:58 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Mizral, you soothe with such tender pity for us the forlorn Oilers' hopefuls. On this night was revealed the young Oilers' weakness. A coaching complacency to veteran underachievement. That is if, any other team, would consider Brewer a veteran? But then life is a *****; we can only die unhappily, or change and disrupt our comfort zones.

Four losses and only three wins with humiliation having been visited upon the hapless Copper & Blue this night needs serious reflection. But Tommy Salo is not the goat here. Poorly concieved forchecking and badly executed puck acquisition systems are. Defensive breakdowns begin in the offensive zone when puck support becomes an afterthought. I woulda, I coulda, and finally I shoulda ...
all i can reply with to this is

Old
10-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Digger12

Quote:

I'm not sure if this is the work of a genius or a madman...

Old
10-23-2003, 10:30 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I'm not sure if this is the work of a genius or a madman...
Like vengeance sarcasm is best served with a cool heart. So in December when Oiler identity has become clarified, Mizral will pity us not.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Lydman

Can someone tell me what happened. Lydman got a 4-minute highsticking penalty at the end of the first period.