HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Peter Forsberg: McDavid is better at everything than I was

Old
02-16-2017, 01:36 PM
thepoeticgoblin

vCash: 750
Woah, that's one ringing endorsement. Love Foppa, so I refuse to agree by principle - but McDavid is amazing. Can't imagine not appreciating his talent, regardless of team affiliation.

thepoeticgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Chino Oscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
We'll never know how Forsberg would do in today's NHL without the clutch and grab (and the resulting injuries). Or, how would McDavid do in the 90's getting slashed and hooked to no end.
I leave this gem of a video in here for those that don't remember the clutch and grab days! It is hilarious how much they got away with in those days.

Chino Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 01:52 PM
VainGretzky
Obnoxious Oil Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCanovin View Post
Gretzky only had elite passing and vision. Still the GOAT
From someone who watched him his whole career His agilty was probably the goat his shot was deadly accurate as well.

VainGretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
McDavid once told me that Peter Forsberg told him that Simon Gagne was the purest shooter he'd ever played with

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCanovin View Post
Gretzky only had elite passing and vision. Still the GOAT
And somehow managed to score almost 900 goals.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:28 PM
BeastMode
"Real Deal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
And somehow managed to score almost 900 goals.
#AlternateFacts

BeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:48 PM
uTurris
We the True North

I mean the only defensive aspect I see that's amazing about McDavid is the same defensive aspect I've seen in Toews and Datsyuk, but McDavid does it quicker and better.

But McDavid doesn't hit, but he does get through traffic in a better non-physical way.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:49 PM
uTurris
We the True North

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipes View Post
That's not a group.

Gretzky and Lemieux are in a group with Howe and Orr. There's a gap after the Big 4.
5 with Sidney Crosby just about to join them.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:55 PM
snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
5 with Sidney Crosby just about to join them.
With a little more hardware and 1500-1700+ points, I have Crosby locking in number 5.

He's already done something unprecedented captaining a team to: Lord Stanley (x2), Olympic Gold, IIHF World Championship Gold, and World Cup Gold.

He could foreseeably captain another Team Canada to Gold in 2018 if the NHLers go. Should easily be able to rack up another IIHF Gold as captain. Win another World Cup gold as captain, he'll do something unprecedented twice.

Crosby gets those 8 championships as captain and gets in the 1500-1700 point range, he'll have #5 all time locked up and expand it to a big 5.

snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:17 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
McDavid is the greatest player to ever play the game.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Crosby gets those 8 championships as captain and gets in the 1500-1700 point range, he'll have #5 all time locked up and expand it to a big 5.
Uh, the big 4 didn't make it a big 4 by being pure compilers and winning lots of team awards.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:20 PM
snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Uh, the big 4 didn't make it a big 4 by being pure compilers and winning lots of team awards.
That level of unprecedented accomplishments could push the conversation. Even if it remains the Big 4, Crosby will have a very good argument securing #5 over Hull/Beliveau/Morenz/Shore/Richard.

Old
02-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
That level of unprecedented accomplishments could push the conversation. Even if it remains the Big 4, Crosby will have a very good argument securing #5 over Hull/Beliveau/Morenz/Shore/Richard.
Perhaps, but being born into an era of unquestioned Canadian dominance is the kind of thing that people usually use against historical individual rankings (with some exceptions), or at least remain completely neutral about.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:26 PM
ObscureAlien

does he have better loose puck recoveries tho

ObscureAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:27 PM
snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Perhaps, but being born into an era of unquestioned Canadian dominance is the kind of thing that people usually use against historical individual rankings (with some exceptions), or at least remain completely neutral about.
Whether it's right or wrong, doing something unprecedented like that will carry weight. It won't be solely why he could secure #5, but it can push it over others. Beliveau's team accomplishment's certainly added to his legacy.

Outside of team accomplishments, Crosby will need to have a damn good back half to his career individually. He still needs to put up the numbers and individual awards, his individual accomplishments will obviously carry more weight.

Old
02-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
Sometimes I wish hockey players weren't so modest. Skating, stickhandling, sure. I could see vision as well. But McDavid has nowhere near Forsberg's cycling game. He might eventually though.
When you have those kind of rare hands, you don't need the cycle game. Forsberg had great puck skills, but he was not among the best, it's just that he was so strong on his feet, had supreme vision and passing abilities along with grit, all those skills combined made him a superstar.

McDavid's hands and skating are obviously on another planet, I would say the playmaking and goalscoring is probably similar, but Foppa was more physical, then again when you have the hands and skating of McDavid, once again you don't need to throw your body around.

Birko19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Riddum

vCash: 1145

This is what guys had to deal with in t he 90s

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:47 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari View Post
Agreed.

I was about to post similar thoughts, but now I don't need to.

Also, Forsberg is overrated. And I followed his entire career. Got to play on a stacked team, people rate him how he played at his best, plus those intangible attributes of tenacity etc. He was Jonathan Toews before there was a Jonathan Toews.

Lindros, Gretzky, Mario, Jagr were better. But somehow he gets ranked together with that group.
These guys were better yes. Lindros not so much. Almost equal.
And that Toews comment...jeez

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:49 PM
authentic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
When you have those kind of rare hands, you don't need the cycle game. Forsberg had great puck skills, but he was not among the best, it's just that he was so strong on his feet, had supreme vision and passing abilities along with grit, all those skills combined made him a superstar.

McDavid's hands and skating are obviously on another planet, I would say the playmaking and goalscoring is probably similar, but Foppa was more physical, then again when you have the hands and skating of McDavid, once again you don't need to throw your body around.
Pretty accurate. Although Forsberg does have some of the best dangles out there, I would say McDavid's hands are better, and quicker, much like Kane, but not significantly better overall. Forsberg could put the puck through elite defenders legs standing still and walk around them with ease, his patience and overall hockey sense were maybe better than McDavid's, but pure stickhandling McDavid is almost top 5 ever IMO, Forsberg probably not top 20 among relevant NHL players.

McDavid will never have the grit and power of Forsberg though, very few ever have. He was lankier when he first came into the league as mentioned earlier in the thread, but he could still throw the body around and protect the puck like a beast even as a rookie. That's an aspect of the game McDavid will never need though, and I would not doubt at all if he became a better player. The only flaws Forsberg had as a player were his durablity and lack of selfishness when it came to shooting the puck. His shot was better than McDavid's.

authentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:50 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
I am curious to see how McDavid's game develops once he ages a bit and loses the 2 steps he has on everyone else from his blazing speed (very rare in today's NHL where everyone is very fast just to get there).

Guys like Forsberg whose game was strength and stick more than speed generally have better longevity because they still win the board/corner battles and come out with the puck well into their 30s (think also Jagr, Crosby, Thorton, Radulov, etc.).

I'm not saying McDavid can't make the adjustment, but there will need to be one because he won't be casually blowing by most NHL D-men with raw speed 5 years from now.
This thought has definitely crossed my mind throughout the past couple of years as well.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
These guys were better yes. Lindros not so much. Almost equal.
And that Toews comment...jeez
I would say pre-concussion Lindros is probably better than any version of Forsberg, I would also argue that Foppa was not even the best forward on his own team (Sakic was).

Birko19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
PensBandwagonerNo272
Forgot About Sid

Eh Foppa was definitely better at offensive zone puck control. One of it not the best ever.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:52 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari View Post
Agreed.

I was about to post similar thoughts, but now I don't need to.

Also, Forsberg is overrated. And I followed his entire career. Got to play on a stacked team, people rate him how he played at his best, plus those intangible attributes of tenacity etc. He was Jonathan Toews before there was a Jonathan Toews.

Lindros, Gretzky, Mario, Jagr were better. But somehow he gets ranked together with that group.
I don't know what's more embarrassing. Comparing Forsberg to Toews or calling Lindros, Gretzky, Mario, and Jagr a group?

Old
02-16-2017, 03:55 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
I would say pre-concussion Lindros is probably better than any version of Forsberg, I would also argue that Foppa was not even the best forward on his own team (Sakic was).
At times. But at times Forsberg was the best player on that team and on the planet. Forsberg around 02-04, when he was actually in the lineup, was one of the most initimidating opposing players I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Terrifying every time he jumped over the boards.

That guy scared me more than Sakic ever did or even mid-to-late 90s Lindros.

Old
02-16-2017, 03:58 PM
authentic

Quote:
All of them at their peak were pretty close, good arguments for all 3. Personally I would choose Forsberg knowing they were all healthy, Lindros a close 2nd choice. Lindros' physical dominance was something else, but offensively him and Forsberg were near equals while Forsberg was the better defensive player and playoff player. It's tough to compare playoffs between the two though considering the teams they each played on, Forsberg did play on basically a modern day dynasty.

authentic is offline   Reply With Quote