HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Peter Forsberg: McDavid is better at everything than I was

Old
02-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Birko19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
Pretty accurate. Although Forsberg does have some of the best dangles out there, I would say McDavid's hands are better, and quicker, much like Kane, but not significantly better overall. Forsberg could put the puck through elite defenders legs standing still and walk around them with ease, his patience and overall hockey sense were maybe better than McDavid's, but pure stickhandling McDavid is almost top 5 ever IMO, Forsberg probably not top 20 among relevant NHL players.

McDavid will never have the grit and power of Forsberg though, very few ever have. He was lankier when he first came into the league as mentioned earlier in the thread, but he could still throw the body around and protect the puck like a beast even as a rookie. That's an aspect of the game McDavid will never need though, and I would not doubt at all if he became a better player. The only flaws Forsberg had as a player were his durablity and lack of selfishness when it came to shooting the puck. His shot was better than McDavid's.
Make no mistake, Forsberg could dangle and had great hands, it's just that when comparing to McDavid's hands, they're not in the same league, also during his time there was many better puck handlers. I also think Foppa's physical power is overrated, did he have a physical side to his game? Sure, but it's not like he was a powerfoward or anything, I would argue that Ovechkin is more physical, and I still don't consider him a pure PF.

I think the biggest reason why Forsberg was so successful is because he had an amazing vision and playmaking abilities along with being very strong on his feet which allowed him to protect the puck and slow the game down to dish out his passes, not many can replicate such style, the closest player I've seen imitate that style was Zetterberg, and he's obviously nowhere near as good.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
McDavid is the best player to be drafted since Mario Lemieux so I can understand why Forsberg would say that. If he's wrong, it's not by much. McDavid is unbelievable. Crazy to think he's just barely 20 years old.
Big shoes to fill.

Hes gotta win scoring races right now, by a goos amount, because Crosby did it better than what he is doing ATM.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:13 PM
RebelBully

Forsberg had better finishing ability and was better below the dots.

It's like certain players forget how good they were.

RebelBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelBully View Post
Forsberg had better finishing ability and was better below the dots.

It's like certain players forget how good they were.
What are they supposed to say? That McDavid guy is pretty good but he's still not as good as I was? This isn't the NBA

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Laineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Big shoes to fill.

Hes gotta win scoring races right now, by a goos amount, because Crosby did it better than what he is doing ATM.
Eh... Crosby has won exactly two scoring races in 11 seasons.

His 2nd season was also his 2nd best season ever so far - McDavid could have an entirely different career trajectory, like most players do, where his second season is still not even his prime.

2nd year Crosby is ahead of 2nd year McDavid, but it's not gonna be as tough to match 4th or 5th year of Crosby.

Though yeah the original statement was that he was the best player drafted, which can be disputed.

Laineux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:24 PM
authentic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
Make no mistake, Forsberg could dangle and had great hands, it's just that when comparing to McDavid's hands, they're not in the same league, also during his time there was many better puck handlers. I also think Foppa's physical power is overrated, did he have a physical side to his game? Sure, but it's not like he was a powerfoward or anything, I would argue that Ovechkin is more physical, and I still don't consider him a pure PF.

I think the biggest reason why Forsberg was so successful is because he had an amazing vision and playmaking abilities along with being very strong on his feet which allowed him to protect the puck and slow the game down to dish out his passes, not many can replicate such style, the closest player I've seen imitate that style was Zetterberg, and he's obviously nowhere near as good.
Yeah I agree with the Zetterberg comparison. Still though Forsberg was more than just a little physical, and if Ovechkin doesn't qualify as a powerforward who does? Ovechkin certainly hit more often than Forsberg, but the video don't lie. There are numerous hits you can watch where Forsberg absolutely lays out players who had 30 pounds on him while hardly throwing himself off balance at all, while in some cases still controlling the puck.

authentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Took a pill in Sbisa
2showToffoliIwascool

vCash: 1323
Keep in mind when Forsberg was McDavids age he hadn't even started his NHL career. McDavid is better than a point per game player.

I'm not sure if Forsberg was comparing McDavid relative to their age, or comparing him to his prime. Pretty unfair though to compare sophomore 20-year old McDavid to prime Forsberg.

Took a pill in Sbisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:42 PM
SnoopDogg
Gin and Juice

LMAO

SnoopDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:50 PM
onetweasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy View Post
Could have something to do with having a career PPG ranked around that group.

Lindros might be mentioned in the same category with the rest if his career hadn't ended with all the impact of a wet fart.
What the hell is Malkin doing on this list? Thought they named the top 100 already......

onetweasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 05:00 PM
onetweasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddum View Post

This is what guys had to deal with in t he 90s
I completely get your point and don't really like to compare era's but you do realize that on a play like that, McDavid is 10 feet clear of that D man and in all alone. His speed with the puck would have embarrassed the average 90's defensemen.

Old
02-16-2017, 05:10 PM
onetweasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Big shoes to fill.

Why? Crosby has only won the scoring title twice in his career and he is still the best player in the world.

It wasn't like Crosby did a Gretzky and swept the scoring title for basically a decade......

Old
02-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Casanova

vCash: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipes View Post
With a little more hardware and 1500-1700+ points, I have Crosby locking in number 5.

He's already done something unprecedented captaining a team to: Lord Stanley (x2), Olympic Gold, IIHF World Championship Gold, and World Cup Gold.

He could foreseeably captain another Team Canada to Gold in 2018 if the NHLers go. Should easily be able to rack up another IIHF Gold as captain. Win another World Cup gold as captain, he'll do something unprecedented twice.

Crosby gets those 8 championships as captain and gets in the 1500-1700 point range, he'll have #5 all time locked up and expand it to a big 5.
I do not agree with this. Crosby is getting really overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Uh, the big 4 didn't make it a big 4 by being pure compilers and winning lots of team awards.

Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 05:20 PM
LeafingTheWay

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=459

His pts/60 are ridiculous. He should've won a scoring title every season if it weren't dumb injuries (Yes I know I have to consider him being injury prone or whatever). Still think he's underrated on here.

LeafingTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 05:21 PM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedenmark View Post
I do not agree with this. Crosby is getting really overrated.
Crosby can be the clear #5 without it becoming a Big 5.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plural View Post
Wayne Gretzky said that Peter Forsberg is the greatest player he ever saw giving compliments to other players.
I laughed pretty hard.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Redline

vCash: 186667
I'd take Forsberg if there was a loose puck that needed retrieving or a defenseman that wanted to maintain possession of it.
Otherwise defer to Connor.

Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafingTheWay View Post

His pts/60 are ridiculous. He should've won a scoring title every season if it weren't dumb injuries (Yes I know I have to consider him being injury prone or whatever). Still think he's underrated on here.
Pts/60 is not some sort of linear relationship.

Ether Prodigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Laineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafingTheWay View Post

Please explain me how Crosby was "supposed" to win the scoring title in 08-09, 09-10 or 15-16.

Laineux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 07:46 PM
TopShelfYzerman
Gm 7 Double OT

Blowing by a defenseman is the rarest quality of elite skill that a player can have. This combines speed and stickhandling and vision, McDavid has this in spades. McDavid is a significantly better player than Forsberg was, so the comments about Forsberg being humble, while true, isnt the reason why McDavid gets so much praise. McDavid is certainly generational.

TopShelfYzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 07:58 PM
authentic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfYzerman View Post
Blowing by a defenseman is the rarest quality of elite skill that a player can have. This combines speed and stickhandling and vision, McDavid has this in spades. McDavid is a significantly better player than Forsberg was, so the comments about Forsberg being humble, while true, isnt the reason why McDavid gets so much praise. McDavid is certainly generational.
Seriously?

I guess Bure was too or what?

Old
02-16-2017, 08:45 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
Sometimes I wish hockey players weren't so modest. Skating, stickhandling, sure. I could see vision as well. But McDavid has nowhere near Forsberg's cycling game. He might eventually though.
Sometimes I wish hockey players weren't so modest, such as when they make a good play and say that it was all luck. In this situation while not overly true, it's classy. A lot better than some football and basketball players that brag about "staying humble" and then tell everyone how they're the best ever. Extremely off-putting. If theyre the best ever or even just the best in their sport now, let someone else say it.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 09:06 PM
authentic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Sometimes I wish hockey players weren't so modest, such as when they make a good play and say that it was all luck. In this situation while not overly true, it's classy. A lot better than some football and basketball players that brag about "staying humble" and then tell everyone how they're the best ever. Extremely off-putting. If theyre the best ever or even just the best in their sport now, let someone else say it.
Yeah exactly, it's one thing to have character and be entertaining, but people that act full of themselves no matter how good they are at something is just not a very likable quality in a person. In most cases those who are actually the best at something do not need to stress it, because everyone else can see it for themselves.

Old
02-16-2017, 09:09 PM
LeafFever

Retired superstars like to downgrade their talents.

LeafFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 09:12 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafFever View Post
Retired superstars like to downgrade their talents.
Wayne set the precedent lol.

He is so degrading of his own talent that its actually annoying

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 09:13 PM
Diatomic
Mitch Matthewlander

Forsberg is too modest. You'd think he was a 4th line scrub by those comments, but no hes a HHOFer

Diatomic is online now   Reply With Quote