Anders Bjork -Update - signed ELC May 30th

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Hali33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
Can't believe this kid doesn't have a thread yet. He's have a terrific 3rd year with Notre Dame with numbers not too far off from Vesey's at Harvard last year (also as a 3rd year player).

Aside from being a great hockey prospect (and a steal in round 5), this kid apparently has a ton of character. this is a great article about his community service work with kids:
https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/bjor...nd/c-286818188
This is an awesome story.

Old
02-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali33 View Post
Bruins' PR department used this clip as its lead story on its website today.

Old
02-17-2017, 10:42 AM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali33 View Post
Very impressive kid!

Old
02-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Bmessy

http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/s...010417aaa.html

The original UND artical that was mentioned in the B's one. It sure got dusty in here real quick... Hope nothing but the best for this kid.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Fonzerelli

That should take his name off the Lando trade block. He's a keeper now more than ever. Great story!

Old
02-17-2017, 01:05 PM
ashnathan

Im really hoping he signs. Please dont do a Vesey to us he can crack this roster next year with the way he plays. Absolute puck HOOUUUNNNDDDD. Fact his cousin got waived by Tampa gives me hope he'll sign in Boston. Was worried he'd go play with him over there.

Old
02-17-2017, 04:45 PM
Tampbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmessy View Post
http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/s...010417aaa.html

The original UND artical that was mentioned in the B's one. It sure got dusty in here real quick... Hope nothing but the best for this kid.
Wow I am glad I read that what an incredible person. I hope he is a Bruin for many reasons but I like the players representing Boston to be worthy on all levels and you couldn't find a better person.

Old
02-17-2017, 06:50 PM
CharasLazyWrister
GrumpyMilton

My friend and big Bruins fan (rarely contributing poster going by WayneThornton) talked about going to a Notre Dame vs. BC game earlier in the year and seeing a guy named "Bjork" absolutely flying around the ice. Was enamored when he got home and figured out he was a Bruins draft pick.

I understand prospects are...prospects. But, there seem to many more promising players out there who are property of the Bruins than in the past.

Old
02-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Saxon Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
I was referring more to historically signing from their NCAA to Boston. It is clear the Bruins have shifted their development to the NCAA players to a large degree.

Have the Bruins had anyone walk away after the three years?
Benning?

Old
02-17-2017, 11:15 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
Benning?
I think the Bruins just let him go as there was no need for him.

Old
02-18-2017, 02:25 AM
Fonzerelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceBergeronFan View Post
I think the Bruins just let him go as there was no need for him.
Nope. Young, cost controlled top 4 D. We have no need of it. Right pro-Carlo crowd?

Seriously though. Lots of talk here lately about how shallow our defense is, yet we are letting players walk who are solid and productive players on other rosters.

Benning with Edmonton, 44GP, 11pts, +4, 16:35 avg TOI
Irwin with Nashville, 50GP, 11pts, +16, 17:35 avg TOI

Not saying we should've (or could've) kept them. I don't know. But we can't be that shallow if other teams are scooping our leftovers.

and now Calgary grabs Bartkowski ...

Anyone have an opinion on Alex Grant in Providence? Is he worth looking at in Boston?

Back to Bjork though ... I have to think they are throwing the kitchen sink at him to get him signed this spring. Maybe even bring him up for playoffs and burn a year if that's what it takes.

Last edited by Fonzerelli; 02-18-2017 at 02:37 AM..
Old
02-18-2017, 03:04 AM
Pia8988

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerelli View Post
Nope. Young, cost controlled top 4 D. We have no need of it. Right pro-Carlo crowd?

Seriously though. Lots of talk here lately about how shallow our defense is, yet we are letting players walk who are solid and productive players on other rosters.

Not saying we should've (or could've) kept them. I don't know. But we can't be that shallow if other teams are scooping our leftovers.

Anyone have an opinion on Alex Grant in Providence? Is he worth looking at in Boston?

Back to Bjork though ... I have to think they are throwing the kitchen sink at him to get him signed this spring. Maybe even bring him up for playoffs and burn a year if that's what it takes.
Bart was grabbed purely for expansion draft reasons. Has nothing to do with his play on the ice. If they didn't sign someone They were exposing one of Gio, Dougie, or Brodie.

Benning has broken 20 minutes 5 times. I wouldn't call that a top 4.

Carlo in comparison has broken 20 minutes 5 times in the last 8 games and 42 times overall.

Old
02-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Fonzerelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia8988 View Post
Bart was grabbed purely for expansion draft reasons. Has nothing to do with his play on the ice. If they didn't sign someone They were exposing one of Gio, Dougie, or Brodie.

Benning has broken 20 minutes 5 times. I wouldn't call that a top 4.

Carlo in comparison has broken 20 minutes 5 times in the last 8 games and 42 times overall.
Well, Benning is pulling down Chiller minutes, and he's the 4th most productive defenseman the Oilers have, so ....

Old
02-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Pia8988

vCash: 595
Quote:
Well, Benning is pulling down Chiller minutes, and he's the 4th most productive defenseman the Oilers have, so ....
And like Colin, he is the #6 on their respective teams.

The top 4 for Edmonton is Sekera, Russell, Larsson, and Klefbom.

Carlo has much more in common with them than Chiller.

Carlo averages more 5 on 5 time at 18:20 than Colin averages ice time in general.

All while be 4 years younger.

As well. Pulling Chiller minutes is supposed to be ab accomplishment?

5 on 5 % of team ToI among defensemen with at least 200 minutes played this season. Colin miller is 35th.....from the bottom. (182nd) overall. Benning is 163.

To compare him to his teammates.

Chara is 10th, Carlo is 32nd, Krug is 48th, McQuaid is 143rd, Kevan is 157th.

For Edmonton.

Russell is 36th, Larsson is 40th, Klefbom is 79th, and Sekera is 90th, with Nurse at 134th.

Which players are top 4?

Last edited by Pia8988; 02-18-2017 at 10:48 AM..
Old
02-18-2017, 02:04 PM
Fonzerelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia8988 View Post
And like Colin, he is the #6 on their respective teams.

The top 4 for Edmonton is Sekera, Russell, Larsson, and Klefbom.

Carlo has much more in common with them than Chiller.

Carlo averages more 5 on 5 time at 18:20 than Colin averages ice time in general.

All while be 4 years younger.

As well. Pulling Chiller minutes is supposed to be ab accomplishment?

5 on 5 % of team ToI among defensemen with at least 200 minutes played this season. Colin miller is 35th.....from the bottom. (182nd) overall. Benning is 163.

To compare him to his teammates.

Chara is 10th, Carlo is 32nd, Krug is 48th, McQuaid is 143rd, Kevan is 157th.

For Edmonton.

Russell is 36th, Larsson is 40th, Klefbom is 79th, and Sekera is 90th, with Nurse at 134th.

Which players are top 4?
Makes Benning even more impressive, to be able to out-produce on less minutes and in his rookie season. His rookie production suggests he'll eat more minutes soon enough. Kinda makes my point. Looks like we let a good one walk for free.

Last edited by Fonzerelli; 02-18-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Old
02-18-2017, 03:52 PM
CharasLazyWrister
GrumpyMilton

Bjork has some serious talent. Reminds me a lot of Pasta to be honest.

Not a big guy. Always a question as to whether than barn burner game can translate to NHL success, but I'm really liking what I'm hearing, reading, and seeing first hand.

Old
02-18-2017, 04:32 PM
thevikes

Another chance to catch Bjork tonight at 7pm/est on NBCSP (865 on Comcast). I apologize if any of this information violates any rules.

Old
02-18-2017, 07:38 PM
veganbruin

Bjork with the effort and the assist for the game tying goal. Kids legit. the friars are obviously trying to shut him down and he still looks like the best player on the ice.

Old
02-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Ratty

Quote:

If he accepts a PTO and plays for the Bruins instead of Providence, does he still burn a year?

Old
02-18-2017, 10:38 PM
PlayMakers

Gotta say, I've been against dealing Spooner because I worry what pulling him off the PP would do to it. I feel like the PP, particularly that unit, is really driving the offense. BUT, watching Bjork fly around the ice, dishing and QB'ing the PP for ND made me wonder if he could slot into Spooner's spot. I know that's a big jump. A huge jump. But Bjork plays fast, is fast. Makes dishes off the rush and whips the puck around like Spooner. He can play LW or RW. Again, big jump but not might be the best time to deal Spooner. And ND isn't exactly a favorite to go deep. He could be available in March.

02-18-2017, 10:47 PM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMakers View Post
Gotta say, I've been against dealing Spooner because I worry what pulling him off the PP would do to it. I feel like the PP, particularly that unit, is really driving the offense. BUT, watching Bjork fly around the ice, dishing and QB'ing the PP for ND made me wonder if he could slot into Spooner's spot. I know that's a big jump. A huge jump. But Bjork plays fast, is fast. Makes dishes off the rush and whips the puck around like Spooner. He can play LW or RW. Again, big jump but not might be the best time to deal Spooner. And ND isn't exactly a favorite to go deep. He could be available in March.
Just was saying he could play with Boston right now as well. He didn't have a great game tonight but dude can motor and create and plays some defense.

Vatrano-spooner-Bjork would be worth a look late March.

Old
02-18-2017, 11:35 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

In a couple of years, our bottom 6 could look like this

Vatrano -- Frederic -- Senyshyn

DeBrusk -- JFK -- Bjork

Cost efficient, skill wingers with speed anchored by 2 two way centermen with size and skill of their own.

Old
02-19-2017, 06:21 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
In the third Anson Carter on the broadcast said he talked to Bjork this weekend and he told him how much the Bruins Development Camp helped and prepared him

Old
02-19-2017, 07:22 AM
whitetape

Anson Carter later said he was sure the Bruins were going to try to sign Bjork this year. He is the kind of young, fast, skilled player Don Sweeney and Bruce Cassidy are looking to add to the lineup, he said. He speculated that this will be Bjork's last season for ND.

And, DHK, you no doubt noted that he also mentioned JFK as a similar talent they will probably try to sign this year.

Old
02-19-2017, 07:25 AM
Blowfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetape View Post
Anson Carter later said he was sure the Bruins were going to try to sign Bjork this year. He is the kind of young, fast, skilled player Don Sweeney and Bruce Cassidy are looking to add to the lineup, he said. He speculated that this will be Bjork's last season for ND.

And, DHK, you no doubt noted that he also mentioned JFK as a similar talent they will probably try to sign this year.
I love what I'm reading about Bjork. Only watched him once in the world juniors and was very impressed with how he played. Any relations to the Iceland hottie signer?

Closed Thread