HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Red Wings are in the worst shape of any NHL Franchise

Old
02-16-2017, 01:41 PM
WarriorofTime

vCash: 500
The Red Wings are in the worst shape of any NHL Franchise

What do they have going for them? A couple ok younger guys in Larkin and Mantha? It looks like it'll be a long rebuild.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
What do they have going for them? A couple ok younger guys in Larkin and Mantha? It looks like it'll be a long rebuild.
Rebuilds can go pretty fast if you're lucky. But they have to start drafting well again, they haven't drafted any elite player in a long time, especially on defense.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Hogan86

They have been great for so long, but the lack of high draft picks and some questionable moves by management have caught up with them. The Wings are pretty much in full rebuild mode. Yes Larkin and Mantha are great young pieces to start building around, but the Wings defense and bottom 6 forward group are pretty bad.

Hogan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 01:48 PM
JaegerDice
Q Gonna Q

Id argue theyre better off now than the last few seasons, where they were stuck in limbo, scratching and clawing for the priviledge of losing in the first round.

End the streak, rip the bandaid off, blow it up. They'll have some high picks, if they use them well they could turn it around relatively wuick.

JaegerDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 01:51 PM
McCanovin
1% is the new 11.5%

Everything is going in circles. Oilers were a dynasty team when the Wings were a mickey mouse team. Then Wings went on to become one of best run franchise in sports history while the Oilers became the opposite. Now it seems like the circle is reaching its starting point again.

McCanovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 01:56 PM
BetterOffWithFedorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCanovin View Post
Everything is going in circles. Oilers were a dynasty team when the Wings were a mickey mouse team. Then Wings went on to become one of best run franchise in sports history while the Oilers became the opposite. Now it seems like the circle is reaching its starting point again.
Oilers seem to have a great player but are not even close to a dynasty

BetterOffWithFedorov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterOffWithFedorov View Post
Oilers seem to have a great player but are not even close to a dynasty
In terms of "modern day" types of dynasty within the cap world the Oilers certainly have the building blocks to be a "dynasty" type team. Of course they are not right there yet and likely will never be. Even modern day Dynasties are extremely rare.

Detroit "put" themselves in this position.

Detroit games are terribly officiated almost always in their favor. They have built their team to make the playoffs but just barely, and only by using every trick in the book. There luck in the draft seems to have finally run out. There stars are old or gone.

They should have a long rebuild. They were one of the best teams for an extremely long time and the cupboards are understandably bare.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:09 PM
SenzZen
I Ain't Even Mad

You don't have success like theirs without having to pay for it at some point.

Let's see how they handle it.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:09 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Vancouver is in MUCH worse shape

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Honestly I hate the Canucks, but Vancouver has better young pieces like Horvat, Boeser, and Juolevi.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Sheriff Bert
Blash is Trash

Quote:
While the Wings do have a lot of work ahead of them to restock the prospect pool, they still have the two mentioned above, as well as Svechnikov, Athanasiou, Tyler Bertuzzi, Cholowski, Hronek, and some other potential NHLers in the minors developing already.

That's a decent foundation for a team who has had poor drafting position for the last 25 years. Now they can pick up some valuable pieces that they've finally hit the bottom.

Sheriff Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:16 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar McLaw View Post
Honestly I hate the Canucks, but Vancouver has better young pieces like Horvat, Boeser, and Juolevi.
Agreed.

The Nucks get dumped on but they actually are following a decent model for rebuilding. Keep experience to teach their youth and if you are not lucky enough to score a superstar build with two way play in mind at all positions.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:19 PM
PorscheDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
yeah, no.

Their defence and goaltending is completely rebuilt with a strong young core. Hutton, Gudbranson, Stecher, Tanev, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Demko, and Markstrom are all under 27 years old.

Their young forward core consists of Horvat, Baertschi, Boeser, Gaudette and Virtanen. This group definitely needs work but they are 2 high caliber prospects from having a decent young forward group with players like Sutter (20 goal pace), Eriksson (20-25 goals), Hansen (20 goals), and Granlund (20 goal pace) filling in the holes.

Canucks just need to land 2 top three picks for the next two years and I would consider their rebuild over.

PorscheDesign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Ezekial
Aboard the AAmtrak

I wanted to use the Departed one because it's closer to my actual reaction, too bad it's vulgar.

Ezekial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

The longest run of relevance in the NHL that I have witnessed, might be finally coming to an end.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:22 PM
hagelin1381

at least now management can accept that they need to rebuild.. helluva run, but with some really bad contracts and meh drafting (i know they have solid prospects but nothing that stands out, partially because of where they draft), it's time to start rebuilding

hagelin1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:23 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

It's possible. Downgrade the few best players on the Avs and you have the Wings just about, in terms of relevant pieces and key positions anyways.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:37 PM
LetsGoBLUES91

It's close between the Canucks, Wings, and Avs. I think the Canucks are probably in the worst shape because they're current roster isn't terrible enough to get a top 3 pick in the draft. They need to get lucky in the lottery.

LetsGoBLUES91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBLUES91 View Post
It's close between the Canucks, Wings, and Avs. I think the Canucks are probably in the worst shape because they're current roster isn't terrible enough to get a top 3 pick in the draft. They need to get lucky in the lottery.
Canucks youth blows that of the other two out of the water, and actually seems to be performing and improving at a decent rate, Virtanen aside. Meanwhile all the youth of Colorado appears to be absolutely lost out there(with Rantanen likely joining soon at this rate), and Colorado may have to blow it up anyways despite their core being so young. Detroit has next to no youth to speak of outside Larkin and maaaybe Mantha, and has a very, very long way to go. I can see the Canucks turning it around first, easily.

Benedict Kovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy for Kuzy View Post
Rebuilds can go pretty fast if you're lucky. But they have to start drafting well again, they haven't drafted any elite player in a long time, especially on defense.
Or they can go really really slow like Edmonton slow....

Besides I don't think anyone would shed a tear if it took Detroit 4-5 years to get back to the playoffs (I doubt it would take that long but you never know).

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:42 PM
traparatus

I had a look through Wings' roster on CapFriendly and some of their contracts are ... let's say questionable.

Abdelkader till 2023 @ $4.25mil + NTC
Helm till 2021 @ $3.85mil + NTC
Clendenning till 2021 @ $1.8mil
DeKeyser till 2022 @ $5mil

There is more there too. Zetterberg, Ericsson, Nielsen. What the hell is that about? Contracts like these are given to guaranteed core players, your team's foundation. What the **** has Abdelkader ever done to deserve that contract?

That is the most depressing cap situation I've ever seen. I knew it was bad but at a closer look, it's beyond bad. It's awful.

traparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:47 PM
BB88

I was talking about this with a friend few days ago and said they atleast have the worst future in the Atlantic. It's a long build to get a u25 core like Toronto/Florida/Buffalo have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBLUES91 View Post
Canucks have atleast Juolevi, Stecher, Tryamkin, Tanev, Hutton, Gubranson on the blueline, Demko goalie prospect and Horvat/Boeser ain't too bad.

BB88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Birko19

I'm waiting to see how the likes of Mantha, Larkin, and Athanasiou pan out before I'll declare them dead wings, that defense though

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:49 PM
piteus

It's so obvious how important Pavel Datysuk was to this franchise (we all recognize Lidstrom) ... even in his later years. It's not always about the counting stats as so many mindless drones try to highlight. That leadership void is hurting Detroit's youngsters even now.

piteus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Proust*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post

I wanted to use the Departed one because it's closer to my actual reaction, too bad it's vulgar.
His lips aren't even saying "Maybe". FAIL

Proust* is offline   Reply With Quote