HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Predators will sell out every home game for first time in team history

Old
02-16-2017, 03:36 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

vCash: 500
Predators will sell out every home game for first time in team history

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...time/97707672/

Ticket prices for me as a STH have gone up steadily the last couple of years, and I hear quite a bit of grumbling over the cost of acquiring tickets via resellers such as StubHub.

Hiring Jeff Cogen(who since moved back to MLB\Florida) and Sean Henry to run business operations 7 years ago may have been the savviest move in franchise history. They've basically built in-roads with not just fan retention and acquisition, but corporate support that always lacked from the early years and eventually caused Craig Leipold to abandon the effort altogether.

02-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

That is great news. I'm really impressed with the support from the fans there, plus the resilience of the franchise in terms of player development and acquisition. Poile is still my favorite GM in the NHL.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 06:01 PM
DowntownBooster

Way to go Preds fans!

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 06:46 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...time/97707672/

Ticket prices for me as a STH have gone up steadily the last couple of years, and I hear quite a bit of grumbling over the cost of acquiring tickets via resellers such as StubHub.

Hiring Jeff Cogen(who since moved back to MLB\Florida) and Sean Henry to run business operations 7 years ago may have been the savviest move in franchise history. They've basically built in-roads with not just fan retention and acquisition, but corporate support that always lacked from the early years and eventually caused Craig Leipold to abandon the effort altogether.
yep

took awhile--but the Preds marketed themselves very well in the city and city and state have responded

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 07:39 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Congrats. Having been there in last year, it is a great team, great arena and a great city.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Congrats. Having been there in last year, it is a great team, great arena and a great city.
We have a great group of Preds fans here on HF as well. They took in all the displaced Thrashers fans, and the mods on that board are, well, funny and very likable.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:54 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
nashville has always been one of my favorite teams after the #hcanes and i must admit that hearing news like this causes a tendril of warmth to wind its way round even my icy and lightless heart

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 05:03 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 20000000
Another factor is that Nashville has become a very popular road trip destination for visiting fans. The area around Bridgestone is hopping and there are plenty of food and music options. You really do not need a car there.

A few years ago I was working a Bruins game and we went into a Waffle House and the waitress was friendly and asked what we we doing in town and said we were going to the Preds game. She said 'I love the Predators and hockey, it's human Nascar.'

Very happy to hear this.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:58 AM
wpgallday1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Another factor is that Nashville has become a very popular road trip destination for visiting fans. The area around Bridgestone is hopping and there are plenty of food and music options. You really do not need a car there.

A few years ago I was working a Bruins game and we went into a Waffle House and the waitress was friendly and asked what we we doing in town and said we were going to the Preds game. She said 'I love the Predators and hockey, it's human Nascar.'

Very happy to hear this.
Very pleased to,see the Preds do well. Went to the city a couple of years ago to watch an NFL game and see Jets v Preds. Very impressed with the arena and support for the team. Local,entertainment district is a real plus here.

wpgallday1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Hockey will never work in Nashville it's time to pull the plug and move it to somewhere with real fans

Such a negative article for such positive news, typical Tennessean. "revenue sharing used to prop up the team" it sounds like posters' on here style of writing

All this for a team that's never won a division, never been past the second round of the playoffs. Never has had a 40 goal scorer, played a very boring style of hockey for over a decade.
Looking at the attendance chart you can almost see when new owner took over it went from less than 10 sellouts per season to over 20. Give people good ownership and hockey can work anywhere.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:32 AM
jetsfan91

Love it. Way to go Nashville!

jetsfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Henkka

It takes 20 years to build a REAL fan base...

Kids who were ~5-10 year old when the team existed are now adults, and at work, and have money to spend for.

New generation will meet the first generation in full effect.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Blitzkrug
#All4Jarvis

vCash: 819
I ****ing love Nashville. Probably the most unique fanbase in hockey.

Fans have shown up even when the team was meh/bad and now they've really embraced the team, likewise for the team and the city.

Everything about it just works. Their goal song would be corny in any other building, but for them it's perfect.

Blitzkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Hockey will never work in Nashville it's time to pull the plug and move it to somewhere with real fans

Such a negative article for such positive news, typical Tennessean. "revenue sharing used to prop up the team" it sounds like posters on here style of writing

All this for a team that's never won a division, never been past the second round of the playoffs. Never has had a 40 goal scorer, played a very boring style of hockey for over a decade.
Looking at the attendance chart you can almost see when new owner took over it went from less than 10 sellouts per season to over 20. Give people good ownership and hockey can work anywhere.
Yeah. The ownership hired good marketing people. I'm not sure a marketing platform like what you saw in Nashville (hockey tonky/Smashville) would work just anywhere though. I mean, the hockey tonky thing taps into something that's somewhat unique about Nashville. I can't imagine what they would do in Charlotte if the team were here. Two cities with pretty similar demographics, but very different personas and Charlotte doesn't really have anything unique to tap into.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

I also understand Nashvilles' one of the favorite stops amongst players in the 30 team circuit as well as being a favorite amongst fans who travel to games from out of their own regions & markets. Lots to do in Music City beyond catching a Preds game.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Yeah. The ownership hired good marketing people. I'm not sure a marketing platform like what you saw in Nashville (hockey tonky/Smashville) would work just anywhere though. I mean, the hockey tonky thing taps into something that's somewhat unique about Nashville. I can't imagine what they would do in Charlotte if the team were here. Two cities with pretty similar demographics, but very different personas and Charlotte doesn't really have anything unique to tap into.
Most of the marketing you mentioned dates back to the Leipold era and was not working then. Having an owner that does not yell and threaten his business partners and not threatening to move or sell the team all the time helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I also understand Nashvilles' one of the favorite stops amongst players in the 30 team circuit as well as being a favorite amongst fans who travel to games from out of their own regions & markets. Lots to do in Music City beyond catching a Preds game.
It's not mostly visiting fans though. I doubt Ottawa is bringing down 5000 fans to help fill our arena on a Tuesday night. Some fanbases are actually prevented from buying up all the tickets (Wings, Blues, Blackhawks) Remember it was such a big deal when the team implemented those restrictions. People were claiming the team should be forced to give up revenues sharing because they were turning down revenue. Fact is those games are actually enjoyable now without certain elements of fans ruining the game.

Last edited by Gnashville: 02-17-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old
02-17-2017, 10:34 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's not mostly visiting fans though.
... yeah, I though while I was writing that I shouldve qualified it with (out of towners) "if they can get tickets". Didnt mean to imply there's any false reliance on tourist or destination fans.

Old
02-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 20000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
All i will say is I have seniority on what games I bid for to work and Nashville is now one of my top 5 locations.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:50 AM
USAUSA1

Having Weber then Subban doesn't hurt as well. Subban might be the most recognizable face in the nhl among current players.

Last edited by USAUSA1: 02-17-2017 at 10:55 AM.
USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:02 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
All i will say is I have seniority on what games I bid for to work and Nashville is now one of my top 5 locations.

Lemme guess. Florida teams, Montreal and Tranna are the other four? Chicago and California teams, + Vancouver should be high too, but they're so far away!

Old
02-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Most of the marketing you mentioned dates back to the Leipold era and was not working then. Having an owner that does not yell and threaten his business partners and not threatening to move or sell the team all the time helps.
Hmm, well then something changed in the strategy of getting the marketing out there. I lived in Nashville from 2009-2011 and I remember not seeing anything in the way of marketing when I first got there and then suddenly it was everywhere. Maybe that more coincides with Sean Henry as COO.

Also, just as a thing... they might have sold out the game against the Rangers in December, but the building was definitely not filled to capacity.

Old
02-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Lemme guess. Florida teams, Montreal and Tranna are the other four? Chicago and California teams, + Vancouver should be high too, but they're so far away!
Fenways been threatening to move out here... though Im not seeing it... Boston Boy through & through.

Old
02-17-2017, 11:19 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Hmm, well then something changed in the strategy of getting the marketing out there. I lived in Nashville from 2009-2011 and I remember not seeing anything in the way of marketing when I first got there and then suddenly it was everywhere. Maybe that more coincides with Sean Henry as COO.

Also, just as a thing... they might have sold out the game against the Rangers in December, but the building was definitely not filled to capacity.
I think that's true in most buildings though. I went to a game in Minnesota a couple of years ago that was "sold out," but there were probably 1000-1500 empty seats. I think that's an unused corporate sale sort of thing

nomorekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I think that's true in most buildings though. I went to a game in Minnesota a couple of years ago that was "sold out," but there were probably 1000-1500 empty seats. I think that's an unused corporate sale sort of thing
Yeah, though this was different. I would say that the building was more at 80% capacity. I've been there when it was full and I've been there when it was a great crowd, but not 100% (when the Rangers played there in December 2015, for example). The size of the crowd at that game was pretty disappointing.

Old
02-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Quote:
Yeah, though this was different. I would say that the building was more at 80% capacity. I've been there when it was full and I've been there when it was a great crowd, but not 100% (when the Rangers played there in December 2015, for example). The size of the crowd at that game was pretty disappointing.
I have been complaining about those Lexus Lounge seats for a while now they make the arena look empty as most of those fans never leave the lounge and free food and drinks. The optics are awful even though those seats are sold. All of them are right where the cameras highlight them. Toronto suffers the same thing but nobody ever questions if they count a sell out with 1/2 the arena empty.