HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Predators will sell out every home game for first time in team history

Old
02-17-2017, 11:31 AM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Congrats Preds. Always great to have hockey establish itself in a relatively new market.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:37 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I have been complaining about those Lexus Lounge seats for a while now they make the arena look empty as most of those fans never leave the lounge and free food and drinks. The optics are awful even though those seats are sold. All of them are right where the cameras highlight them. Toronto suffers the same thing but nobody ever questions if they count a sell out with 1/2 the arena empty.
I sat in 318 this year and 317 last year. Lots of empty seats in front of and behind me this year and only a few last year. This wasn't an optics thing. There really were less people.

It doesn't matter though. The mere fact of the topic for this thread is great.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 2605000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Lemme guess. Florida teams, Montreal and Tranna are the other four? Chicago and California teams, + Vancouver should be high too, but they're so far away!
Montreal, Toronto, Los Angeles and Chicago.

6-10

Philadelphia - Just don't tell the locals you are from Boston
Washington - Area around Verizon Center much improved
Detroit - sucker for the coney island dogs
San Jose (San Francisco) - Caltrain is your friend
Buffalo - some of the nicest people you will meet on the planet.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:24 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I sat in 318 this year and 317 last year. Lots of empty seats in front of and behind me this year and only a few last year. This wasn't an optics thing. There really were less people.

It doesn't matter though. The mere fact of the topic for this thread is great.
Eh, very rarely is every seat filled in any sport. Sometimes you have a last minute thing and you can't go and it's too late to try to unload tickets. Sometimes you just don't feel like going. Sometimes the weather keeps you home.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Montreal, Toronto, Los Angeles and Chicago.

6-10

Philadelphia - Just don't tell the locals you are from Boston
Washington - Area around Verizon Center much improved
Detroit - sucker for the coney island dogs
San Jose (San Francisco) - Caltrain is your friend
Buffalo - some of the nicest people you will meet on the planet.
When people say teams have travelling fanbases, is it actually just more of a national fanbase?
Because they say Bruins Fans travel well, but I have never known anyone who has actually been to Nashville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Detroit, St Paul, Denver, Raleigh, Buffalo (other than me) or San Jose at all for any reason
So that makes me believe other than maybe the Florida (maybe Arizona for the west) markets, Hockey Tourism isn't actually a thing.
Its more than those away fans already live there.

Bruins1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:52 PM
GuelphStormer

a quick look at the ESPN boxscores for the last 12 or so home games show all but one list the identical number in attendance: 17,113 (100.0%). the other lists 17,204 (100.5%).

perhaps it's a reporting issue, but when numbers line up so perfectly, that raises flags for me. having exactly that same number in attendance, game after game, seems unlikely to me and makes me wonder who purchased the tickets ... especially given first hand reports here that many of the seats were not filled.

hmmmm

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:55 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins1233 View Post
When people say teams have travelling fanbases, is it actually just more of a national fanbase?
Because they say Bruins Fans travel well, but I have never known anyone who has actually been to Nashville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Detroit, St Paul, Denver, Raleigh, Buffalo (other than me) or San Jose at all for any reason

So that makes me believe other than maybe the Florida (maybe Arizona for the west) markets, Hockey Tourism isn't actually a thing.
I can tell you firsthand that when the Bruins play in Nashville the 5 nonstops a day from Boston on jetBlue and Southwest are packed with Boston fans.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Eh, very rarely is every seat filled in any sport. Sometimes you have a last minute thing and you can't go and it's too late to try to unload tickets. Sometimes you just don't feel like going. Sometimes the weather keeps you home.
Yes, but I was making a comparison between two different games, in the same general vicinity, a year separated. The only difference was that one was the Saturday before Christmas (this year) and the other was the middle of the week after Christmas.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
a quick look at the ESPN boxscores for the last 12 or so home games show all but one list the identical number in attendance: 17,113 (100.0%). the other lists 17,204 (100.5%).

perhaps it's a reporting issue, but when numbers line up so perfectly, that raises flags for me. having exactly that same number in attendance, game after game, seems unlikely to me and makes me wonder who purchased the tickets ... especially given first hand reports here that many of the seats were not filled.

hmmmm
All we can go by is the official attendance listed in NHL game reports.

This Bruins game in January had perhaps 14,000 in the building but they reported to the NHL it was a sellout.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...7/GS020578.HTM

In Boston we don't actually know what the hockey capacity of TD Garden is. When the NCAA Frozen Four has been in Boston attendance is suddenly in the high 18,000 range.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:09 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Congrats. Having been there in last year, it is a great team, great arena and a great city.
I was there this year and I concur, the arena is really good, the location ( right outside of the bar/restaurant/drinking area) is better. It's really a great place to catch a game and I will likely go back again.

And although I was cheering the away team, we were a clear clear minority. so good work preds !

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:18 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I also understand Nashvilles' one of the favorite stops amongst players in the 30 team circuit as well as being a favorite amongst fans who travel to games from out of their own regions & markets. Lots to do in Music City beyond catching a Preds game.
the parthenon. full stop.

( i lived in memphis and never knew it existed till we caught a habs game in nashville)
I'm one to enjoy a few adult beverages before and as I watch the game, but the parthenon might have been #2 in the best things about the trip. and I went in thinking I would hate it.

im waiting for next years schedule to be released to plan a return trip.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:48 PM
tony d
Kyle Turris

Good stuff. Team seems to be a great success story, best wishes to him in the forward.

02-17-2017, 04:42 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 1321
I really want to go to Nashville. Not only for the Country music scene, but it sounds like a fun time at Bridgestone Arena for a Preds game. Well done Preds fans and I'm happy to see Hockey thriving there.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I can tell you firsthand that when the Bruins play in Nashville the 5 nonstops a day from Boston on jetBlue and Southwest are packed with Boston fans.
I'm surprised, it seems like almost everyone in Massachusetts stays between the Hudson, the St Lawrence and the Atlantic, and New Yorkers are infamously provincial so I would have thought people actually traveling is overstated.

Last edited by Bruins1233: 02-17-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Bruins1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 04:54 PM
PopaneNightscare
Ready to Donskore

I think another major driving force for this was Carrie Underwood's husband becoming the Captain of the Preds.
I forgot the guy's name but who cares....it's Carrie's husband yall!!

PopaneNightscare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:34 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopaneNightscare View Post

I think another major driving force for this was Carrie Underwood's husband becoming the Captain of the Preds.
I forgot the guy's name but who cares....it's Carrie's husband yall!!
Mike Fisher the team captain!
Nobody is going to see Carrie Underwood! The husband is the main attraction and she usually doesn't attend games and sits in a private box away from the normal fans. She has preformed during a period break with the house band though!!

Last edited by Gnashville: 02-18-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:45 PM
Mypetrobot
sua sponte

Now I feel the need to interject.

Read my history posts but clearly the preds foundation buys unused or unwanted tickets months or day in advanced.

It's one story if the ARI buys every unused ticket, bit it's another if the NSH does because of numbers.

Again I know other teams use creative accounting and etc but I'm not buying it.

Mypetrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 04:11 AM
sharkhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins1233 View Post
I can tell you it's true that Hawks fans do the travel. We've been going down to Nashville once a year for about 10 years. 7 hour drive makes for a nice weekend. Spend the weekend watching live music on broadway, stay at the Renaissance, catch a game. The hotels are packed with Hawks fans.

sharkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 07:50 AM
uTurris
We the True North

Congrats from us Jets fans

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 08:14 AM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

Nashville is a great city to go to a game. Really don't have to worry about public transportation because it isn't needed. Although I don't mind subways and light rail, this was a huge plus for us. So much to do in a confined part of the city. Pretty much one big party.

I've never been a country music fan but the Johnny Cash museum was fascinating. We had a couple of beers and Frito Pie somewhere for hardly anything. Cool bridge over the Cumberland River goes to the football stadium. Lots of quality shopping, eats, drinks and entertainment. Would never hesitate to go back.

Congrats Nashville!

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 08:18 AM
JojoTheWhale

This is fantastic. The Preds have become my secondary NHL team over the years. Wonderful arena/crowd and a perfect city for a long weekend trip down from the Northeast (and I have zero interest in newer country).

Now if only I could see hockey in New Orleans as well.

JojoTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Deedog99

vCash: 50
Never trust the crowd counts. Teams need to average a certain amount to get NHL revenue sharing.

Deedog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Hobble

Nashville for some reason one of my favourite non-Jets teams. Probably after seeing the fans in playoffs.

Would love in a Pred-Jets playoff match.

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 02:02 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedog99 View Post
Never trust the crowd counts. Teams need to average a certain amount to get NHL revenue sharing.
Not since 2012.

The performance benchmarks for revenue sharing (attendance & revenue growth) we're removed in the current 2013.CBA.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 10:50 AM
razor ray

I have friends in Nashville that 10 years ago never went to a hockey game in their life. Now they are die-hard Preds fans and attend 5-10 games a year. Once their kids get older I'm sure it will be more.

Great stuff and the Nashville fans on this board have been great as well.

razor ray is offline   Reply With Quote