HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Predators will sell out every home game for first time in team history

Old
02-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!

vCash: 949
One of few teams/cities on my list to go see a game in. It just seems like an awesome city to catch a game and hit out a bunch of other cool stuff.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 03:56 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
To answer the question about 100.5%, the Preds installed a SRO section which raises the percentage but when this is full, the arena feels like a sardine can.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

This should not be very surprising. There are very few entertaining hockey teams left in the NHL. The Preds are one.

It's a combination of an entertainment-rich city, raucous, fun-loving fans and an interesting, fun team to watch.

Hopefully, George McPhee is taking notes. He has a CHANCE to do similarly in Vegas. Just don't screw it up by trying to be a super-competitive team immediately. In other words, do not hire Ken Hitchcock to coach your team.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
a quick look at the ESPN boxscores for the last 12 or so home games show all but one list the identical number in attendance: 17,113 (100.0%). the other lists 17,204 (100.5%).

perhaps it's a reporting issue, but when numbers line up so perfectly, that raises flags for me. having exactly that same number in attendance, game after game, seems unlikely to me and makes me wonder who purchased the tickets ... especially given first hand reports here that many of the seats were not filled.

hmmmm
17,113 is the Capacity of their arena, and they have sold out every game. The one game over capacity was due to standing room only tickets. Its not that difficult dude. Does the Canadiens always being at 21,273 concern you? Is it that they are cooking the numbers or is it because their arena holds 21,273 and they have sold out every game

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedog99 View Post
Never trust the crowd counts. Teams need to average a certain amount to get NHL revenue sharing.
That number was 14,000 anyway, a number the Preds have been well above for more than a decade now. Try again

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 11:35 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimovs AK View Post
17,113 is the Capacity of their arena, and they have sold out every game. The one game over capacity was due to standing room only tickets. Its not that difficult dude. Does the Canadiens always being at 21,273 concern you? Is it that they are cooking the numbers or is it because their arena holds 21,273 and they have sold out every game
my concern was with the exactness of the reported #. im more familiar with official sold-out attendance figures that do vary, perhaps ever so slightly - likely because of SRO - rather than reported numbers being the same each time. that in combination with reports here of apparently non-full arena some nights just made me wonder. but thanks for graciously pointing out another example of reported attendance not varying. (fwiw, espn is reporting canadiens attendance consistently at 21,288)

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
my concern was with the exactness of the reported #. im more familiar with official sold-out attendance figures that do vary, perhaps ever so slightly - likely because of SRO - rather than reported numbers being the same each time. that in combination with reports here of apparently non-full arena some nights just made me wonder. but thanks for graciously pointing out another example of reported attendance not varying. (fwiw, espn is reporting canadiens attendance consistently at 21,288)
it appears non-full because of all the empty seats in the lower bowl which are Lexus Lounge seats. Those are corporate ticket holders that stay in The Lexus Lounge all night drinking and eating. Same thing happens in Toronto all the time. People pay 25K per year and never use the seats they buy. It makes the arena look worse than it really is. But they are in attendance just not in their seats.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

It's official!! The team sold out all 41 games this season. Bring out the haters!!

Old
04-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
It's official!! The team sold out all 41 games this season. Bring out the haters!!
.... not gonna happen Gnash..... and Congratz!

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Preds33

Quote:
I still don't trust those numbers. The owners obviously bought up several of those just to say they were sold out. Last Friday night before the 1PM Saturday game against the Wild, there were still over 1,000 unsold tickets (not including the resell market, nor the 100 day of game tickets). I don't see them selling that many last minute tickets.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 10:46 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I still don't trust those numbers. The owners obviously bought up several of those just to say they were sold out. Last Friday night before the 1PM Saturday game against the Wild, there were still over 1,000 unsold tickets (not including the resell market, nor the 100 day of game tickets). I don't see them selling that many last minute tickets.
I tried to get 2 tickets together for the Wild game on Wednesday night, and there was nothing available together, just singles, and 42 dollar face value tickets were going for 111 on StubHub, so I'm not sure you're right.

04-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I tried to get 2 tickets together for the Wild game on Wednesday night, and there was nothing available together, just singles, and 42 dollar face value tickets were going for 111 on StubHub, so I'm not sure you're right.
I was certain the team had to disclose ticket sales to the city, and were barred from buying the tickets themselves?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 10:56 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I was certain the team had to disclose ticket sales to the city, and were barred from buying the tickets themselves?
They team can give away a certain amount of tickets, but even that is regulated by the league's own regulations around such. They can't "pad" the numbers like Preds33 is suggesting.

nomorekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Section 325

Great news for the Preds and for Nashville! Nashville is top 3 on the list of places I want to travel to see the Jets play next season. The crowd is always loud and engaged in the game. Nashville has done a great job of getting a non-traditional hockey market to embrace the game and make it their own.

I am very disappointed at the number of negative comments on here.

Section 325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Quote:
This happens in every market in every sport, teams fudge number sometimes to get a sellout.

The reason for the 100 game day tickets is to create demand that day.

Example one time: I missed out on those cheap tickets but my daughter still wanted to go so I bought "normal" tickets on game day.

Old
04-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I saw multiples together, I almost bought 2 together in 307 Friday night to give to my dad but I couldn't get in touch with him with enough time for him to go. And this was through my season ticket holder account, not straight ticketmaster.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Gumbo

Very cool about the sellouts! It is great to see Nashville doing so well, I would love to go to a game there.

Gumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 08:44 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
This happens in every market in every sport, teams fudge number sometimes to get a sellout.

The reason for the 100 game day tickets is to create demand that day.

Example one time: I missed out on those cheap tickets but my daughter still wanted to go so I bought "normal" tickets on game day.
But setting aside the gameday hundred, how can they announce in advance that the game is sold out if there are ordinary tickets available for purchase?

I feel like I'm missing something here, this isn't just fudging the numbers. If there are tickets unsold then it's not a sellout...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 09:45 AM
sharkhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
But setting aside the gameday hundred, how can they announce in advance that the game is sold out if there are ordinary tickets available for purchase?

I feel like I'm missing something here, this isn't just fudging the numbers. If there are tickets unsold then it's not a sellout...
Are the other tickets from Season ticket holders trying to sell their tickets through the team? IOW the tickets have been sold, but it's just another "secondary" market?

sharkhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 12:23 PM
Beerfish

Off on a tangent but I was at a conference in Nashville last summer and really liked the city and the location of things downtown. Just seemed to be really well layed out with the arena, football stadium across the river, big ass convention center and broadway all nicely situated.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 01:24 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhawk View Post
Are the other tickets from Season ticket holders trying to sell their tickets through the team? IOW the tickets have been sold, but it's just another "secondary" market?
Could be. I don't know whether the teams put their exchange tickets up for sale on the direct-sale site or not.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling

Quote:

They were re-sell tickets through the team, since they are already sold they are counted as sold tickets. The 100 is about the only "new" tickets available anymore. In the past they also sold their available tickets that day during the 10AM sell, but all have been sold already anymore. The team, like every team, also sell tickets returned by the league which become available 48 hours before face off. Those are for visiting team players and the league use. Unless it's a Fathers trip or something most teams don't use their allotment. For the most part the lower bowl is sold out months in advance and it's only upper deck tickets now that are usually available. The 100 game day tickets are just tradition anymore.

The whole "owners are buying up tickets" (which was stated by the Canadian Press trying to deride the market) is just not applicable anymore.

Last edited by Gnashville: 04-06-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old
04-06-2017, 01:50 PM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
They were re-sell tickets through the team, since they are already sold they are counted as sold tickets. The 100 is about the only "new" tickets available anymore. In the past they also sold their available tickets that day during the 10AM sell, but all have been sold already anymore. The team like every team also sell tickets returned by the league which become available 48 hours before face off. Those are for visiting team players and the league use. Unless it's a Fathers trip or something most teams don't use their allotment. For the most part the lower bowl is sold out months in advance and it's only upper deck tickets now that are usually available. The 100 game day tickets are just tradition anymore.
Great job by the Predators fans for the support they gave their team!

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 04:11 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:

By NHL definition... a sellout “constitutes tickets distributed, not tickets sold”.

No knock on Nashville, because it's great to have the support they do, I'm just stating how the NHL defines a sellout.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
By NHL definition... a sellout “constitutes tickets distributed, not tickets sold”.

No knock on Nashville, because it's great to have the support they do, I'm just stating how the NHL defines a sellout.
The Sens could sell like 20,300 tickets before their reconfiguration. But a sellout was far, far less. Because you can oversell a boxes regular tickets or sell standing room tickets.

You can have some boxes that are allotted 8 "seats" sell 14 seats and have actual seats in the stands go unsold and call it a "sell out".

I have been in the stands and seen small sections of the seats that are at certain price points obviously empty. But it was a "sell out".

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote