HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Is this season a success no matter what?

Old
02-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Maximus

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Is this season a success no matter what?

Figured with all of us seeing the situation our Rangers find themselves in with 1/4 of the season to go before the playoffs, I'd take the temperature in here to see what y'all feel would constitute a successful season. And whether or not you are satisfied with where we are at considering the expectations alot of us had before the season started.

Me personally, if I was totally being honest, before the season, I thought we'd be a 6-8 type seed in the East and a probable bubble team. I thought we'd figure out a way to make into the playoffs with a slight possibility we'd miss the dance.

Fast forward to current day and now here we sit as one of the top 5 teams in the entire league as seemingly everything Gorton touched over the summer turned to gold for us(ie...Grabs,Vesey,Holden) and we've had some breakouts by the JT's,Hayes,Kreiders of the world. And Gorton has made some nice pickups like Peumple as well. He's done a great job. And this great regular season is in spite of Hank giving up more soft goals this year than he has in the past 5 years combined. Hanks been as inconsistent as starting goalie can be and yet here we are likely looking at winning 50+ games....nuts I say...just nuts.

So I guess we should all be satisfied...right? Well therein lies the rub. How can you have a successful season if you lose in the 1st round of the playofffs which is a very distinct possibility for us depending upon playoff matchups? It looks like we are on a collision course with the Penguins again unless the Jackets hold us off which is kind of doubtful. Is it OK to lose to the Pens and it still be a successful year? I don't know about you but it would be devastating to go out again in 1st round no matter who we play.

Been a fun ride for sure and it's still not over. So what do y'all say. Is this a good season no matter what happens in the playoffs? Do we have to win a round even if we get stuck in the Metro bracket for it to be considered successful.

Would love to hear your thoughts

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:48 PM
bl02

Let's get ready to rumble lol.
It's a fair topic to debate but I can see this one getting out of hand

bl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Tragic King
Golden King

Every year that Hank still has that we don't win a Cup is a failure. I want him to win a Cup more than everyone else on this team combined at this point. Wouldn't care if we missed the playoffs the entire next decade after it if it could happen.

Tragic King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl02 View Post
Let's get ready to rumble lol.
It's a fair topic to debate but I can see this one getting out of hand

nahhhh.....it will fine.....

Old
02-16-2017, 03:52 PM
bl02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
nahhhh.....it will fine.....

Old
02-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Geoff Gorden
Fire me

vCash: 1050
Not yet.

With the expectations what they were coming into the season and the defense what it is, I think winning a round could be considered a successful season.

The FO screwed up after the last cup run with in my mind, 3 moves (Letting stralman walk, Re-signing the wonder twins) but they've also done a pretty good job at bringing along new talent and I don't think that this team is really too far away.

At the very least, they're far less doomed than the naysayers claimed they were 8 months ago.

Geoff Gorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 03:56 PM
bl02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Gorden View Post
Not yet.

With the expectations what they were coming into the season and the defense what it is, I think winning a round could be considered a successful season.

The FO screwed up after the last cup run with in my mind, 3 moves (Letting stralman walk, Re-signing the wonder twins) but they've also done a pretty good job at bringing along new talent and I don't think that this team is really too far away.

At the very least, they're far less doomed than the naysayers claimed they were 8 months ago.
Agreed . Just sucks we are playing in the toughest division in hockey but best hope is that this team continues to improve, stays healthy and Hank brings his A game into the playoffs.
As much as we all want a cup it's pretty amazing to know that with 25 plus games left we are most likely qualified for playoffs after so much gloom and doom heading into summer 2016 offseason.

Old
02-16-2017, 04:13 PM
Off Sides

vCash: 2727
If this season to date has changed up their philosophy a bit, I'd vote yes.

They did not chase big ticket free agents or near washed up reclamation projects this past off-season. If they can continue to find some bargains in house or not who play just as well if not better than what they used to chase, I'd consider perhaps that adaptation has taken place.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:26 PM
DanielBrassard

I think it is going to be tough to say this season is a complete success. It could potentially be considered a failure IMO if the W-L record has duped the FO into believing that this defense as currently constructed is good enough. I'm not saying that's the case but if I'm just saying if it turns out that way it's a problem. There have been successful individual accomplishments though. Miller, Hayes, Grabner, Buch, Skjei, Vesey, CK

DanielBrassard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:36 PM
True Blue

Depends on how you think about it. I am not sure that a first or second round exit will spell success for the team. Sather has depleted the farm system to nothing by giving away draft picks. While I do not believe that the team is a true Cup contender, I need to see a little more out of them than last year.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Overcast

vCash: 1740
Season success for this team is based on the playoffs, not regular season. That said, this regular season has been light years more bearable to watch than last year so in that sense it's a success. Progression from guys like Miller, CK, and Hayes has also been a very pleasant thing to watch.

Overcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 05:01 PM
DominicBoltsFan
Cry if I want to

vCash: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Figured with all of us seeing the situation our Rangers find themselves in with 1/4 of the season to go before the playoffs, I'd take the temperature in here to see what y'all feel would constitute a successful season. And whether or not you are satisfied with where we are at considering the expectations alot of us had before the season started.

Me personally, if I was totally being honest, before the season, I thought we'd be a 6-8 type seed in the East and a probable bubble team. I thought we'd figure out a way to make into the playoffs with a slight possibility we'd miss the dance.

Fast forward to current day and now here we sit as one of the top 5 teams in the entire league as seemingly everything Gorton touched over the summer turned to gold for us(ie...Grabs,Vesey,Holden) and we've had some breakouts by the JT's,Hayes,Kreiders of the world. And Gorton has made some nice pickups like Peumple as well. He's done a great job. And this great regular season is in spite of Hank giving up more soft goals this year than he has in the past 5 years combined. Hanks been as inconsistent as starting goalie can be and yet here we are likely looking at winning 50+ games....nuts I say...just nuts.

So I guess we should all be satisfied...right? Well therein lies the rub. How can you have a successful season if you lose in the 1st round of the playofffs which is a very distinct possibility for us depending upon playoff matchups? It looks like we are on a collision course with the Penguins again unless the Jackets hold us off which is kind of doubtful. Is it OK to lose to the Pens and it still be a successful year? I don't know about you but it would be devastating to go out again in 1st round no matter who we play.

Been a fun ride for sure and it's still not over. So what do y'all say. Is this a good season no matter what happens in the playoffs? Do we have to win a round even if we get stuck in the Metro bracket for it to be considered successful.

Would love to hear your thoughts
Miller and Kreider are BEASTS. But I'm not a believer in Nick Holden.

DominicBoltsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:15 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicBoltsFan View Post
Miller and Kreider are BEASTS. But I'm not a believer in Nick Holden.
No matter what you think, Holden has been quite the coup and it's one of the examples of how Gorton shopped at the five and dime this past offseason and came up with an asset for us.

Is he great? No obviously but he's certainly worthy of a top 4 d corps spot on this team as presently constructed.

Old
02-17-2017, 12:49 AM
PMII
Shattendeuces

vCash: 50
Any season we don't win the cup or take a significant step towards that goal is a failure in my eyes, at least this point. Team came so close in 2014 and 2015 that nothing short of winning it all is satisfying at this point.

We could win 60 games in the regular season and I wouldn't give a single **** if it didn't end in a cup win.

02-17-2017, 02:28 AM
Machinehead
Weidmanns Heil

When this defense isn't a pit of parasitic worms, the season will be a success.

02-17-2017, 02:34 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna Nanu View Post
Any season we don't win the cup or take a significant step towards that goal is a failure in my eyes, at least this point. Team came so close in 2014 and 2015 that nothing short of winning it all is satisfying at this point.

We could win 60 games in the regular season and I wouldn't give a single **** if it didn't end in a cup win.
Well my friend, not going to make 60 wins but we are likely going to make it to 50+

I'm in somewhat agreement with ya that we've blown a few kicks at the can we've had especially 2015 when we lost to Tampa as I firmly believe we would have beaten Chicago that year in the Cup final. I'm more ticked still to this day about that than losing to the Kings in a very winnable Cup final despite every stinking break going against us that series.

It's just so odd to think here it is we win 50 despite pre season expectations of being a bubble team and it could totally end up being a dissapointment. And it all come down to IMO where we end up in the Metro as we either very possibly can go out first round or possibly make it to the ECF, which if we did that, anything is possible and all bets are off obviously and we could make it to the Cup finals.

I will say this during the 2011 thru 2015 seasons, to me it didn't matter where we ended up regular season seeing I thought we would and at worst could beat whoever we faced...it didn't matter. This year tho is totally different as I'm not so sure we can beat a few teams like Wash or Pittt in succession. But I do think we could beat Montreal and Ottawa in succession and potentially beat a Pitt or Wash in one series to get to the Cup. Sure it would be a pretty big upset but it's not out of the question.

Our season totally depends on matchups which makes me a bit uneasy. Whether we finish in Metro or Atlantic playoff time will determine our fate and if our season is truly successful like it or not even if we win 50+ games.

What we do at the deadline will say alot as to how this season will turn out...that I'm firmly convinced of.

Last edited by Maximus: 02-17-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Old
02-17-2017, 03:13 AM
Machinehead
Weidmanns Heil

Maybe we're not that good if we have to desperately avoid our division to have any hope?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Greg02

Whenever people don't appreciate this team (and the ones from the last few years in general) I always wonder if they were fans from 1998-2004.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:15 AM
GeorgeKaplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Maybe we're not that good if we have to desperately avoid our division to have any hope?
Yeah, a good step to being the best team in the league is being the best team in your own division

GeorgeKaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:17 AM
eco's bones

It seems way early to have this discussion.

...and I know the team is not perfectly constructed but every team has some holes---even the Penguins, even the Caps. If we wind up facing either of those two teams--you still play the games out...you don't throw in the ****ing towel. I don't see any foregone conclusions. We've beaten both of these teams in the past and more than once.

The main thing is to stay as healthy as possible the rest of the way...maybe fill in a hole or two at the trade deadline....then see what happens.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Raspewtin
Fire Clowneault

I think so. Many nights this team is just unwatchable and they've made no effort to develop/utilize much better/younger options on D; but they've won games and worked to develop their young forwards

For god's sake please don't make any stupid trades at the TDL. That will reverse anything good about this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBrassard View Post
I think it is going to be tough to say this season is a complete success. It could potentially be considered a failure IMO if the W-L record has duped the FO into believing that this defense as currently constructed is good enough. I'm not saying that's the case but if I'm just saying if it turns out that way it's a problem. There have been successful individual accomplishments though. Miller, Hayes, Grabner, Buch, Skjei, Vesey, CK
Also this.

02-17-2017, 08:54 AM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic King View Post
Every year that Hank still has that we don't win a Cup is a failure. I want him to win a Cup more than everyone else on this team combined at this point. Wouldn't care if we missed the playoffs the entire next decade after it if it could happen.
How did you like the 8 years without playoffs soon after winning the last Cup?

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:09 AM
NickyFotiu
NYR 2017 Cup Champs!

This has been a interesting season. Some young players made nice steps up but Hank, McD, Klein, and Staal had seasons full of questions.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Geoff Gorden
Fire me

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
How did you like the 8 years without playoffs soon after winning the last Cup?
About as much as you liked going 23 years between winning playoff series.

Geoff Gorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:14 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

In the sense that it's kept me engaged and entertained, sure.

Anything else remains to be seen

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote