HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The curious case of: Joffrey Lupul.

Old
02-17-2017, 09:01 AM
AINEC
AINEC

vCash: 500
Sleeping with the fishes

AINEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:08 AM
gdsmack267

My favorite part of his "injury"

Kadri interview during camp "Oh yea I was talking to lupul and he says he feels great and cant wait to get going"

Next day: Leafs announce they are sending Lupul home due to his "injuries"

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:12 AM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Lupul is the Vince Carter of the Oilers. Good riddance.
Despite Carter's reputation, he is somehow playing guard in the NBA at the age of forty after playing 1324 NBA games. Lupul can't dream of doing anything similar in the NBA.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Blainer114
Maverick

Nathan Horton was one of my fav players he was clutch with the Bruins.

Blainer114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Henr1k

Quote:
How dare you disrespect VC

Henr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:31 AM
LeafGm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post

Kadri interview during camp "Oh yea I was talking to lupul and he says he feels great and cant wait to get going"

Yeah, I don't have much doubt that Lupul is technically healthy enough to play. But he already got his fresh start and last chance under Babcock last season, and he blew it. Not only was his offense practically non-existent, but he was still one of our poorest defensive/possession forwards. Even scrap-heap signings like Shawn Matthias, Brad Boyes & PA Parenteau performed significantly better than Lupul did.

The reality is, Lupul's just not an NHL-caliber forward anymore, and no one's going to take a flier on him for $5.25M this year and next, even at 50% retained. So, his only option is to ride the bus in the AHL, or collect his paycheque at home, and he obviously chose the latter option.

Going forward, if the Leafs buy him out this summer, maybe he shows up at another team's camp on a PTO. But more than likely, I suspect that we won't see Lupul in the NHL again (and we probably won't see the Leafs buy out his contract).

LeafGm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Skipee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
Yeah, I don't have much doubt that Lupul is technically healthy enough to play. But he already got his fresh start and last chance under Babcock last season, and he blew it. Not only was his offense practically non-existent, but he was still one of our poorest defensive/possession forwards. Even scrap-heap signings like Shawn Matthias, Brad Boyes & PA Parenteau performed significantly better than Lupul did.

The reality is, Lupul's just not an NHL-caliber forward anymore, and no one's going to take a flier on him for $5.25M this year and next, even at 50% retained. So, his only option is to ride the bus in the AHL, or collect his paycheque at home, and he obviously chose the latter option.

Going forward, if the Leafs buy him out this summer, maybe he shows up at another team's camp on a PTO. But more than likely, I suspect that we won't see Lupul in the NHL again (and we probably won't see the Leafs buy out his contract).
The reality of this is that the Leafs don't want to play him because it would mess with their cap structure. Just another case of the Leafs abusing the LTIR system and the league not looking into it too hard. I'm sure that Lupul is healthy enough to play and that the Leafs are currently costing him millions of dollars in future contracts.

Skipee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:05 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
Prime Lupul was actually a fantastic offensive player.

It's only curious to wonder what he could have been. Certainly not curious as to why he wasn't.
Those first two years in Toronto were arguably the best of his career, and you're right, he was fantastic.

He always had the tools to be a star but his consistency and effort night-in-and-night-out was lacking. After he came back from that serious back injury (where he nearly died from a blood infection) and got put under the big lights of Toronto, he finally seemed to figure it out. Pity injuries hit him yet again.

Apparently he had hernia surgery last year, which given his history of back problems could well be a career-ender. Lamoriello runs a tight ship, so there's not a lot of information out there about his status. Too bad, though. A prime Lupul on Matthews wing would be fun to watch.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:06 AM
aemoreira1981

Joffrey Lupul is marooned on Robidas Island at Lupul Peninsula. I doubt he plays another NHL game, but he can't be bought out because of injury (at least for Toronto, there is only 1 more season left on his contract after this one). He was never truly healthy at any point in his career after being traded from Philadelphia.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:09 AM
SprDaVE

Unofficially retired.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:10 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post

Feeling great doesn't mean your fit to play physically. I'm still shocked people think Lupul isn't really injured when all he's known for are his injuries. How is anyone surprised that he can't play anymore is beyond me.

He failed his physical and released a statement that he'll be out longer but will continue to rehab.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:17 AM
RASHBEEP

I've heard rumours as to what's happened to him.

But he likely just doesn't have it physically to cut it in the NHL anymore.

RASHBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

Lupul is one of the first guys that comes to mind when I think of guys who just can't stay healthy in the NHL. Always something unfortunate happening to the guy. Too bad, because he could be pretty damn good when he wasn't hurting.

Montanaheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:49 AM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBow3r03 View Post
Tonight I was randomly thinking about a certain player that I haven't heard about in what seems like forever: Joffrey Lupul.

Lupul once scored 67 points in 66 games in the 2011-2012 season with the Leafs which that year, he was selected for his first all star appearance.

Lupul has a career PPG avg of 0.60. Last season Lupul appeared in just 46 games, scoring 14 points... 0.30 ppg.

At the beginning of the season, Lupul showed up to training camp and was deemed "unfit", sidelined on the IR. The last time he played in a leafs uniform was 378 days ago.

What the heck is up with him? Is his career over?
How did his career go downhill so fast? Was it solely because of injuries?

TML fans/others with knowledge fill me in...
It was a suspicious disappearance. Last I recall he was injured late in the 2015-16 season with a stomach issue. Then in the summer it was revealed he had a hernia. One thing we do know The Leafs have a way of making players disappear. IE Horton, Robidas, and now Lupul. I don't know if he is still a viable NHL player, but it sure looks like he may have been told he was not needed by the Leafs anymore, or by any other NHL teams. Thus he is probably just sitting collecting his annual 5.25 salary. It would be interesting if he announces he is ready to play and then what do the Leafs do with his contract?

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Adam91

Same thing the Leafs did with Robidas, invented an injury so they could park him on LTIR and save the cap space.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Menzinger

Players decline physically way earlier than most assume. Folks seem to think everybody plays until their late 30s, when in fact that's a rare occurrence.

Menzinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Menzinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post

My assumption as well - he could probably technically pass a physical but would rather get paid for doing nothing than ride the bus with the Marlies.

Doubt he plays again though - I can see him making the jump over to broadcasting

Menzinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:24 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

What would be telling is if the Leafs were trying to collect insurance on his contract. His contract is probably insured, but I suspect the insurers would have an issue if the team tried to collect.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:32 PM
chinhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
I heard they're trying to void Joffrey's contract...they have their lawyers looking for a Lupul.
underrated post

chinhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:40 PM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

If Leafs buy him out, and he plays for a fraction of his current contract. Which I believe he still can. I can see him playing again. Lupul has come back from worse injuries. Who knows he may be the perfect fit for an expansion team like Las Vegas.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:45 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
What an odd comparison. Lupul was awful for Edmonton when he should have been great and was shipped out of town because of it. Carter wasn't really bad until he got old.

ManofSteel55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Mpasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas Izzy View Post
did you copy the title from Globe and Mail
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
What's curious about it? He had a lot of injuries.
It's not curious. He just ripped off another headline that he found when you Google Joffrey Lupul.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle31999378/

Mpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 07:58 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
I heard they're trying to void Joffrey's contract...they have their lawyers looking for a Lupul.
With Lamoriello as GM, they will find a LOUphole!

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Hockey Troll

He's made out of glass

Hockey Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:04 PM
LeafFever

He's enjoying the sun on Robidas Island.

LeafFever is offline   Reply With Quote