HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anson Carter??? C'mon.....

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2006, 06:01 AM
  #1
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France
 
savemefromtears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: City of Angels
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Anson Carter??? C'mon.....

Anybody else feeling a bit in shock, beturbed, or a bit jealous of Anson Carter this season with Vancouver?

I mean this guy was absolutely pitiful. In 15 games with the Kings he had one lousy assist. One crappy assist! When he touched the puck I literally cringed, knowing that he'd cough it up, lose it, or at best dump it into the opponent's end. I felt a weird sense of shame, wondering what other people thought of me as a Kings fan with him on the team.

Now... THIS season, something quite different has happened: he's kicking butt! He has 20 goals and 16 assists for 36 points. Two assists in fact came against the Kings!!! (12/19)

I'm still happy he's gone, but I can't explain how I feel knowing that he's having a great season and working the Kings when he plays them....

savemefromtears is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 09:31 AM
  #2
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears
Anybody else feeling a bit in shock, beturbed, or a bit jealous of Anson Carter this season with Vancouver?

I mean this guy was absolutely pitiful. In 15 games with the Kings he had one lousy assist. One crappy assist! When he touched the puck I literally cringed, knowing that he'd cough it up, lose it, or at best dump it into the opponent's end. I felt a weird sense of shame, wondering what other people thought of me as a Kings fan with him on the team.

Now... THIS season, something quite different has happened: he's kicking butt! He has 20 goals and 16 assists for 36 points. Two assists in fact came against the Kings!!! (12/19)

I'm still happy he's gone, but I can't explain how I feel knowing that he's having a great season and working the Kings when he plays them....

Maybe Andy's style had something to do with both Straka and Carter struggling with the Kings? Andy has always made every player play the same boring *** dump and chase style. It's either his way or the highway.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 09:58 AM
  #3
Face Wash
Registered User
 
Face Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,509
vCash: 500
or maybe he had a sports hernia with Washington that he didn't tell anyone about that he tried to play through when he was here...

And maybe you people should stop blaming the coach for every last little thing that's gone wrong with this franchise the last 3 seasons. After all, he's probably forgotten more about hockey than any of us will ever know!!!

the negativity on this board the last three weeks is simply ridiculous...

I think I'm taking a break from this ********.

Face Wash is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 10:23 AM
  #4
Section323
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
or maybe he had a sports hernia with Washington that he didn't tell anyone about that he tried to play through when he was here...

And maybe you people should stop blaming the coach for every last little thing that's gone wrong with this franchise the last 3 seasons. After all, he's probably forgotten more about hockey than any of us will ever know!!!

the negativity on this board the last three weeks is simply ridiculous...

I think I'm taking a break from this ********.
I was going to make the same point about Carter's injury...thank you.

And as for your comment about the negativity, my sentiments exactly.

Section323 is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 10:27 AM
  #5
TubbyTerrion*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Studio City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,974
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Don't under estimate the skill, the maturity and the versatility of the Sedin twins.

They have provided a constant that can't be denied.

TubbyTerrion* is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 10:38 AM
  #6
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
"And maybe you people should stop blaming the coach for every last little thing that's gone wrong with this franchise the last 3 seasons. After all, he's probably forgotten more about hockey than any of us will ever know!!!"

Anson Carter
............................GP G A P
2002-03 EDMO, NHL 68 25 30 55
2003-04 LOSA, NHL 15 0 1 1
2005-06 VANC, NHL 52 19 14 33


Martin Straka
..........................GP G A P
2002-03 PITT, NHL 60 18 28 46
2003-04 LOS, NHL 32 6 8 14
2005-06 NYR, NHL 51 11 40 51


Which team didn't get the full potential of the players above? Was Straka hiding an injury too?

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 10:56 AM
  #7
Face Wash
Registered User
 
Face Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25
"And maybe you people should stop blaming the coach for every last little thing that's gone wrong with this franchise the last 3 seasons. After all, he's probably forgotten more about hockey than any of us will ever know!!!"

Anson Carter
............................GP G A P
2002-03 EDMO, NHL 68 25 30 55
2003-04 LOSA, NHL 15 0 1 1
2005-06 VANC, NHL 52 19 14 33


Martin Straka
..........................GP G A P
2002-03 PITT, NHL 60 18 28 46
2003-04 LOS, NHL 32 6 8 14
2005-06 NYR, NHL 51 11 40 51


Which team didn't get the full potential of the players above? Was Straka hiding an injury too?


Marty Straka was also injured (knee) and has a history of injury.

Marty Straka is a player who needs other skill players around him to play well. Unlike a guy like Ziggy or Forsberg or Mario... and when your team is setting NHL records for man games lost to injury, it's hard for ANYONE to be productive.

You're clearly just looking for reasons to get on the Fire AM bandwagon... I assure you, the minute AM is let go by this team, whenever that may be, there will be 4 or 5 teams knocking down his door for a chance to hire him.

Can't say the same for Melrose, can we??

Face Wash is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 11:00 AM
  #8
Big Kov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
enough blaming andy...its boring most of us.

carter first 14 games with Van this season: 2g 2a 4pts. and this is in the new nhl without an injury....some players need time....

Straka as i recall, was pretty darn good when he was here. The points just weren't showin up on the board.

Big Kov is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 11:14 AM
  #9
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 31,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
MEh. Both guys were hurt when they were here. Cna't really blame anyone on that but dumb luck.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 11:22 AM
  #10
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Do most teams perform medical/physical evaluations before trades?

PSP is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 12:02 PM
  #11
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25
"And maybe you people should stop blaming the coach for every last little thing that's gone wrong with this franchise the last 3 seasons. After all, he's probably forgotten more about hockey than any of us will ever know!!!"

Anson Carter
............................GP G A P
2002-03 EDMO, NHL 68 25 30 55
2003-04 LOSA, NHL 15 0 1 1
2005-06 VANC, NHL 52 19 14 33


Martin Straka
..........................GP G A P
2002-03 PITT, NHL 60 18 28 46
2003-04 LOS, NHL 32 6 8 14
2005-06 NYR, NHL 51 11 40 51


Which team didn't get the full potential of the players above? Was Straka hiding an injury too?
Holy crap!

Try THESE statistics, you know, statistics from the SAME YEAR they were acquired:

Martin Straka
2003-04 Pittsburgh Penguins 22GP 4G 8A 12Pts 16PIM

Anson Carter
2003-04 New-York Rangers NHL 43GP 10G 7A 17Pts 14PIM
2003-04 Washington Capitals NHL 19GP 5G 5A 10Pts 6PIM

Both players were traded to the Kings because they were S-U-C-K-I-N-G that year. Get it? You look like a tool trying to support your conclusion with certain facts, while omitting the most crucial statistics.

I have no qualms whatsoever if people think AM is a bad coach. I'm questioning it myself. I just have no idea how you expect anyone to take your argument seriously.

King'sPawn is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 12:13 PM
  #12
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Just to add on, Lappy wasn't traded but his numbers this season are also well above anything he did for the Kings his entire tenure. I think these players failures have a little bit to do with AM's system which takes creativity away from the players and has them cycle the corners but it also has to do with DT who is a horrible GM. If you surround decent players with really good players their numbers will improve. If you surround those 3 guys with career journeymen or kids who have no clue how to succeed at the NHL level their numbers will be bad-see 2003. I thought DT finally learned his lesson ny bringing in Conroy, Roenick and Demitra so hopefully this offseason that trend will continue. The Kings need more talent on lines 1-4 to become a contender, right now they don't have the skill to comepte with the big boys.

The Tikkanen is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 12:13 PM
  #13
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
Don't under estimate the skill, the maturity and the versatility of the Sedin twins.

They have provided a constant that can't be denied.
Exactly. Carter has been a solid player for the Canucks all season long, but a huge reason why he's been successful is because the amazing playmaking skills and vision of the twins. He'll, Wade Brookbank can score goals when playing alongside them.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 12:40 PM
  #14
swinginutter*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen
Just to add on, Lappy wasn't traded but his numbers this season are also well above anything he did for the Kings his entire tenure. I think these players failures have a little bit to do with AM's system which takes creativity away from the players and has them cycle the corners but it also has to do with DT who is a horrible GM. If you surround decent players with really good players their numbers will improve. If you surround those 3 guys with career journeymen or kids who have no clue how to succeed at the NHL level their numbers will be bad-see 2003. I thought DT finally learned his lesson ny bringing in Conroy, Roenick and Demitra so hopefully this offseason that trend will continue. The Kings need more talent on lines 1-4 to become a contender, right now they don't have the skill to comepte with the big boys.
I agree and disagree. I agree that AM takes away from the creativity of this club, or quite simply our gameplan just doesn't work anymore. Some posters here protect him and his antics continuously. I think he is probably one of the most organized and passionate coach's of the game. He's also a very nice guy. But when is it enough. His BS head games and his ******** line shuffling has finally wore off. It's not just constant hardwork that gets other teams through. The "hard to play against" crap is getting old, especially when you can't bend in your philosphies to let creative players.........just be creative. This club needs change............end of story!

As for DT........Personally I think he's done an exceptional job under the circumstances. He shoulders the blame, and plays the holding card.....because that's what his owners are telling him to do. TL has promised the fans changes to be an exceptional club. He has not lived up to all the moaning he was doing two years ago. CAP...yada, yada, yada. Well your system is in place and now your hard capping the club. Quite simply, HE CAN! The fans will keep showing up, and that's enough to say we're doing alright. DT provides players for AM. It's Andy's job to fit them into the right holes. You can't play Avery on the first line because he works hard........It's a ****ing joke. All these years we're talking about Manchester to fill in necessary holes (injuries) for certain lines, but in only applies to lines three and four.

As far as this Anson Carter thread.........he still blows! He plays with the Sedins who garner constant attention on the ice............we should know, because they made the Kings look stupid. I can bury goals on their line!

swinginutter* is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 12:41 PM
  #15
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
You're clearly just looking for reasons to get on the Fire AM bandwagon... I assure you, the minute AM is let go by this team, whenever that may be, there will be 4 or 5 teams knocking down his door for a chance to hire him.
I hope you are right Face Wash....I really do! I also hope he is hired by a Pacific Division team. That way the Kings will have at least 8 games a year where they can go into a game knowing exactly what the opposing team's strategy is and exactly how to counter it.

Captain Ron is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 02:01 PM
  #16
Fripp
Registered User
 
Fripp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
I could get 20 goals playing with the Sedins. Really, he's as bad as ever ... I still cringe every time he touches the puck.

Fripp is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 02:04 PM
  #17
Mindcircus
Registered User
 
Mindcircus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Irvine, CA
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 3,034
vCash: 500
...

His linemates (Sedin twins) are having career years, so why not Carter as well?

Mindcircus is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 02:50 PM
  #18
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
So you guys are saying that if you surround guys like Carter with more talent they will score more points? Can you forward this fresh idea to DT, he doesn't seem to get it.

The Tikkanen is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 03:04 PM
  #19
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
Holy crap!

Try THESE statistics, you know, statistics from the SAME YEAR they were acquired:

Martin Straka
2003-04 Pittsburgh Penguins 22GP 4G 8A 12Pts 16PIM

Anson Carter
2003-04 New-York Rangers NHL 43GP 10G 7A 17Pts 14PIM
2003-04 Washington Capitals NHL 19GP 5G 5A 10Pts 6PIM

Both players were traded to the Kings because they were S-U-C-K-I-N-G that year. Get it? You look like a tool trying to support your conclusion with certain facts, while omitting the most crucial statistics.

I have no qualms whatsoever if people think AM is a bad coach. I'm questioning it myself. I just have no idea how you expect anyone to take your argument seriously.
So it's Dave Taylors fault!

Randall Graves* is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 03:09 PM
  #20
cyrisweb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Carter has put the puck in the net but early in the season he was whiffing on a whole lot of chances. If he could have hit the net more often he would easily be at 25-27 goals by now. But the thing that has impressed most people who have watched him so far is the fact that he is not a defensive liability. Nor is he afraid to go to the net or take a hit to make the play.

At 1 Million dollars a year he's an absalute steal and has been a pleasent suprise for the year.

cyrisweb is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 03:22 PM
  #21
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
Carter has put the puck in the net but early in the season he was whiffing on a whole lot of chances. If he could have hit the net more often he would easily be at 25-27 goals by now. But the thing that has impressed most people who have watched him so far is the fact that he is not a defensive liability. Nor is he afraid to go to the net or take a hit to make the play.

At 1 Million dollars a year he's an absalute steal and has been a pleasent suprise for the year.
Isn't that the same million we spent on Valeri Bure, Mr Zero?

The Tikkanen is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 03:27 PM
  #22
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner
 
hockeyfan125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,019
vCash: 500
Sedins.

Carter is putting in effort, but he has decent hands at best. He is well worth his contract, mind you.

The Sedins have been downright disgusting (good) this season, especially Henrik. So good in all three zones, amazing down low, and so creative at finding the open man (in this case, Anson).

I hope the Canucks don't re-sign him for a multi-year deal, because I can see his effort level regressing big time once he has the money.

hockeyfan125 is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 03:38 PM
  #23
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,115
vCash: 500
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the benefit of acquiring players early enough so that they can adapt to the new surroundings and system. Carter was acquired with only 15 games remaining in the season (i.e. last minute), and was probably expected to come in and immediately avert the 15-game losing streak that started at the same time. If Carter had been acquired earlier, he might've gotten comfortable with the team by the time that they really needed him, instead of being thrown into the fire and expected to produce and save the team immediately. Ronning was in the same situation, being brought in with only 14 games remaining.

Now, take a look at Straka. DT acquired him with a good 32 games remaining in the season. He had double the time that Carter (and Ronning) had to get comfortable with the team. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that Straka was almost useless for his first 15 or so games as a King and only proved his use and put up points in the last 15 or so games. He was pretty useful after he got comfortable.

My hypothesis: it takes more than just 15 games for a player to adapt to the Kings, its coach and the system, especially when those 15 games are the last of the season and there's extreme pressure to right the ship in a very short time. When DT waits until the last minute to acquire someone (Carter, Ronning), it's too late for them to settle into the club and contribute, but when he acquires someone early enough (Straka, Potvin, Deadmarsh/Miller), it's not.


Last edited by Osprey: 02-05-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Osprey is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 07:28 PM
  #24
Albi
Registered User
 
Albi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lavena - Italy
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,639
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
I agree and disagree. I agree that AM takes away from the creativity of this club, or quite simply our gameplan just doesn't work anymore. Some posters here protect him and his antics continuously. I think he is probably one of the most organized and passionate coach's of the game. He's also a very nice guy. But when is it enough. His BS head games and his ******** line shuffling has finally wore off. It's not just constant hardwork that gets other teams through. The "hard to play against" crap is getting old, especially when you can't bend in your philosphies to let creative players.........just be creative. This club needs change............end of story!

As for DT........Personally I think he's done an exceptional job under the circumstances. He shoulders the blame, and plays the holding card.....because that's what his owners are telling him to do. TL has promised the fans changes to be an exceptional club. He has not lived up to all the moaning he was doing two years ago. CAP...yada, yada, yada. Well your system is in place and now your hard capping the club. Quite simply, HE CAN! The fans will keep showing up, and that's enough to say we're doing alright. DT provides players for AM. It's Andy's job to fit them into the right holes. You can't play Avery on the first line because he works hard........It's a ****ing joke. All these years we're talking about Manchester to fill in necessary holes (injuries) for certain lines, but in only applies to lines three and four.

As far as this Anson Carter thread.........he still blows! He plays with the Sedins who garner constant attention on the ice............we should know, because they made the Kings look stupid. I can bury goals on their line!
Great post

Albi is offline  
Old
02-05-2006, 08:15 PM
  #25
SedinFan*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 10,542
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp
I could get 20 goals playing with the Sedins. Really, he's as bad as ever ... I still cringe every time he touches the puck.
Not true at all. Carter's been good defensively, good infront of the net, great along the boards and has complimented the Sedins very well.

SedinFan* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.